Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 4 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 251 [252] 253 254 255 ... 736 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 443968 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #3765 on: October 18, 2012, 05:11 PM »

Seriously, how is Federer up for the sportsmanship award yet again after last week's fiasco?

It's crazy how Federer has won it every year since 2004 apart from 2010 (Rafa won it then). Would be nice to see a different player win it this time but I somehow doubt it will happen.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #3766 on: October 18, 2012, 05:22 PM »

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=andy%20murray&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQqQIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyrecord.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fscottish-news%2Fandy-murray-set-to-be-given-the-freedom-1384450&ei=hyyAUPHlForsrAfKnoGgCQ&usg=AFQjCNEe3_eZqKKB9BolBk6zNCu3MWa_sg
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3767 on: October 18, 2012, 05:26 PM »

It's crazy how Federer has won it every year since 2004 apart from 2010 (Rafa won it then). Would be nice to see a different player win it this time but I somehow doubt it will happen.
I agree you can't seperate the sheep from the GOAT ('s), they all wear rose tinted specs as well as being short sighted, or perhaps just blind!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3768 on: October 18, 2012, 05:26 PM »

Great. Now Andy is free to roam Dunblane at will with Maggie, Rusty and any sheep lol
Very Happy   But for those who want to know more about this ancient accolade -

"Who, What, Why: Does freedom of the city allow you to graze sheep?" - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-19398288  

I'm really looking forward to the presentation of this honour, so I hope it'll be televised. Smile
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #3769 on: October 18, 2012, 05:43 PM »

“I consider Andy part of our family.. ”

“It is very flattering that people say I’ve helped Andy to win a first Grand Slam but all the credit goes to him,” he says. “He is the one who has done the work and won the matches..."

“You show me a good loser and I will show you a loser,”

“Nothing is God given — it’s all about hard work,”

“I’ve never been a fan of how many weeks someone is at No1. I’m more interested in winning majors because then No1 comes as a bi-product and it shows consistency.'

Thanks dani. I love Lendl quotes. A strong, non-nonsense, intelligent man with a sense of humour.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #3770 on: October 18, 2012, 05:45 PM »

Thanks dani. I love Lendl quotes. A strong, non-nonsense, intelligent man with a sense of humour.

That is the apt way to describe Lendl....
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #3771 on: October 18, 2012, 06:18 PM »

Brilliant interview, and very revealing.  Thanks Dani. Smile

I can only think that now Andy has spoken publically about using a sports psychologist she has been sanctioned to speak to the media.  After all what she is saying presents Andy in such a positive light.  I love what she is saying about helping him to refind his zest for the game and of course about his personality.  This is a very different situation to the guy who spoke out of turn a while ago [was it after that AO finall loss?] boasting that he'd helped Andy in the past.  May their relationship continue as I'm sure it's really helpful for Andy.
I'm sure she must have got the go-ahead from Andy otherwise she'd be in breach of confidentiality unbecoming a professional.  The UK, fortunately, is a lot more careful about these things than the US.  I can't remember the name of that man either but do remember it was after the AO final and when Andy was actually in Miami for the Masters, which was pretty insensitive of him.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3772 on: October 18, 2012, 07:41 PM »

I wonder if his post US open press day where he was doing interviews and photo shoots made him think that in small doses it's not so bad to be in the limelight.
I think the interviews after the US Open, which were also his first proper stab at general press after the Olympics win, would have felt very different to the general media/showbiz stuff done in the past.  I think in his mind, there was always a sense of not quite having earned it.

He didn't have to wait for someone to ask "so when are you going to win a slam?", which is the sort of thing he'd be asked straight after a brilliant victory in a Masters.  He could be confident that most journalists were more interested in talking about his achievements, not his personal life, or gripes about being too negative or whatever.

I'm sure he still felt a bit silly doing some of the stuff they had him do, but even if he did think that getting piped into the British Consulate was a bit much, he could comfort himself with the fact that he had in fact just won the US Open, so it was OK to indulge these things.

Just as he didn't like to get ahead of himself by holding the big trophies before he'd won it for himself, he didn't want to get too comfortable with the showbiz style adulation until he'd achieved something more substantial.

He's not going to turn into Mr Showbiz any time soon (thank goodness), and I think he'll always be far more comfortable talking to the dedicated tennis and sports journalists, but I get a sense that it has helped to feel more relaxed about the whole process.

I also get the feeling that thanks to the Olympics more than the US Open, editors will expect their writers to be kinder.  I loved that his two big wins this year gave the tennis writers that know Andy best the chance to write about how much they like and respect him as a person, and that certain people got it wrong.   Tabloids will continue to be tabloids, but this Summer's bundle of positive coverage was the first pause for thought for some, and that sticks.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3773 on: October 18, 2012, 10:05 PM »

Good post sparkle - and welcome to MW. 
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3774 on: October 19, 2012, 01:16 PM »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andy-Murray-Champion-Extraordinary-Story/dp/1471126528/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350641821&sr=1-1

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #3775 on: October 19, 2012, 01:45 PM »

I.Want.That.Book.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #3776 on: October 19, 2012, 01:49 PM »

We all know the story already tho', don't we?
And the great thing is there's no end of the story in sight.  Smile
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #3777 on: October 19, 2012, 01:50 PM »

We all know the story already tho', don't we?
And the great thing is there's no end of the story in sight.  Smile

No probs..I will never get bored of hearing or reading the story and am very much enthusiastic for reading the book..
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #3778 on: October 19, 2012, 01:54 PM »

Me too!Thanks for letting us know about it,flowerpower!

You know who I'd really love to write a book on Andy someday?Kevin Mitchell,from the Guardian.I've no idea if he's ever written a book,or if he ever would,but he's a fantastic writer,and I really love the way he writes about Andy-not just that he admires him,but that he really seems to understand him in a way that many-most?-of the press who cover Andy don't (or perhaps haven't bothered to).
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #3779 on: October 19, 2012, 02:13 PM »

Interesting to read that Mark Hodgkinson is Boris Becker's ghost writer for the Telegraph - I always assumed he wrote his own content but I guess ghost writers are quite common where sports people and celebrities are concerned.

I think I'll wait a while and see what the reviews are like for this book before I decide whether or not to buy. I always feel books like this are a bit premature - it would be better for one to come out when Andy's tennis career has finished. But I can see why publishers would be keen to cash in on the slam win though.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 251 [252] 253 254 255 ... 736 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »