Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 2 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 252 [253] 254 255 256 ... 758 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 477430 times)
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3780 on: October 19, 2012, 02:24 PM »

I've just pre-ordered this book. I got a Kindle from my kid's for my birthday, but I want this book in hardback with all the nice colour pictures. Will make a nice coffee table book when I've read it.

I’ve been looking for a glossy souvenir booklet or magazine on Andy’s triumphs but none have been published. This will do!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3781 on: October 19, 2012, 03:08 PM »

We all know the story already tho', don't we?
And the great thing is there's no end of the story in sight.  Smile
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #3782 on: October 19, 2012, 03:56 PM »

£16? Steep. Might wait for the price to come down.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #3783 on: October 19, 2012, 04:20 PM »

I like the look of the book,but then again a book chronicling Andy's journey and celebrating his achievements is never going to be something I don't like the look of!
Sometimes these books are good,sometimes they're just rushed out fast,while the subject or story or whatever is still big in the media,and turn out awful as a result.Generally the longer spent on the books they better the chance of them actually being good.I don't know how long this one's been planned,but it does seem like the writer's been writing about Andy,and following his story,for a good while,so that's something!I think Katie's got the right idea-I'm going to wait and see what the reviews say.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3784 on: October 19, 2012, 05:29 PM »

I have pre ordered the paperback due out in June 2013 for £5.99. The paperback usually has the photos as well. If the reviews are good then I can look for it in hardback, and the price of the hardback is bound to drop quite quickly.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #3785 on: October 19, 2012, 05:42 PM »

I think I'll wait a while and see what the reviews are like for this book before I decide whether or not to buy. I always feel books like this are a bit premature - it would be better for one to come out when Andy's tennis career has finished. But I can see why publishers would be keen to cash in on the slam win though.

..............  and just before Christmas too!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #3786 on: October 19, 2012, 06:41 PM »

Me too!Thanks for letting us know about it,flowerpower!

You know who I'd really love to write a book on Andy someday?Kevin Mitchell,from the Guardian.I've no idea if he's ever written a book,or if he ever would,but he's a fantastic writer,and I really love the way he writes about Andy-not just that he admires him,but that he really seems to understand him in a way that many-most?-of the press who cover Andy don't (or perhaps haven't bothered to).
me too dani.  I always enjoy his pieces about Andy.  I'm not convinced he knows as much about tennis as some of the other tennis correspondents [after all he writes about boxing and rugby too] but I agree that more than any of them he 'gets' Andy.
Now that book - I know someone who would love to buy me that for Christmas.  I don't really care if it's good or not, I just like the idea of it.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3787 on: October 19, 2012, 07:02 PM »

You're probably right Ruthie-there are solely tennis-dedicated journalists out there that probably have a deeper understanding of the actual technical side of tennis (if you know what I mean?I'm not sure I'm putting the right words to what I mean!) but honestly,his understanding of Andy as a person is streets ahead of the rest,and he knows enough about tennis to write his pieces-so combining his understanding of Andy with the fact that he's a terrific writer means his articles are for more enjoyable,and far better than most of the ones that get written about Andy-in my own opinion anyway!In a way perhaps the fact that he may not know as much about tennis as some helps make his articles better-he knows enough to write about it,clearly,but he writes about it with the focus on the person,rather than just technically recounting what happened.
[ Last edit by xxdanixx October 19, 2012, 07:05 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #3788 on: October 19, 2012, 07:16 PM »

I got a Kindle from my kid's for my birthday, but I want this book in hardback with all the nice colour pictures. Will make a nice coffee table book when I've read it.

That's a good point about it being a nice coffee-table book.
I have to say I'm a very tactile person, and I just find the Kindle is, well...cold.
I like to hold a book in my hand and turn the pages.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Articles « Reply #3789 on: October 19, 2012, 08:00 PM »

I have to say I'm a very tactile person, and I just find the Kindle is, well...cold.

Just light the wick Linda ..duh!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #3790 on: October 19, 2012, 08:03 PM »

^Outstanding, sir.  clap and.. roflmao
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3791 on: October 19, 2012, 10:17 PM »

You're probably right Ruthie-there are solely tennis-dedicated journalists out there that probably have a deeper understanding of the actual technical side of tennis (if you know what I mean?I'm not sure I'm putting the right words to what I mean!) but honestly,his understanding of Andy as a person is streets ahead of the rest,and he knows enough about tennis to write his pieces-so combining his understanding of Andy with the fact that he's a terrific writer means his articles are for more enjoyable,and far better than most of the ones that get written about Andy-in my own opinion anyway!In a way perhaps the fact that he may not know as much about tennis as some helps make his articles better-he knows enough to write about it,clearly,but he writes about it with the focus on the person,rather than just technically recounting what happened.
Yes you're right perhaps the fact he's not so knowledgeable about the technical side isn't such a bad thing (though he has made the occasional mistake I seem to recall).  Absolutely agree about his writing, which can be very funny sometimes also.  And I think he's seen through smugfed as well as getting Andy.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3792 on: October 19, 2012, 10:33 PM »

Hahaha,I like him for the reasons I've said above,but even if I didn't,anyone who sees through Smugfed gets a double thumbs up from me! Very Happy
Can't remember the mistakes-although that's not to say I don't believe you,I totally do,my memory just isn't that great for details.I just know how much I've enjoyed many of his articles,and the way he's written them.
Plus,in my imaginary dream biography that he'd write,it'd be his understanding of Andy that he'd need more than any understanding of tennis.I really think this book needs to happen now!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #3793 on: October 19, 2012, 10:35 PM »

Perhaps you should email him at the Guardian dani and suggest he writes that book. You can tell him he has quite a few fans here.  I've been tempted to email him myself once or twice after a particularly good article.
To be fair I think the mistakes were when he started as tennis correspondent. 
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #3794 on: October 19, 2012, 10:51 PM »

Haha,I'm not sure!I'll give it some thought,but I wouldn't want to be rude or anything,and I'm not sure how he'd take an email from some random girl suggesting that on top of his already busy job she'd like him to write a biography-even if it does come from a place of sincerely enjoying the way he writes about the subject of the proposed biography!Maybe I should wait until he writes another good Andy article,and then start by simply emailing him about that.If I do though,I shall tell him his work is appreciated by us Andy fans Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 252 [253] 254 255 256 ... 758 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »