Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 1 Member and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 ... 741 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 446369 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4005 on: November 12, 2012, 11:01 AM »

omg  yes  what a great idea  TJ  Very Happy   I think  I would buy Lendl a pair of socks and a Sudoku   to keep him busy  Very Happy
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4006 on: November 12, 2012, 11:20 AM »

What does Murray have to do to win crowds over? Easy: stop those disgusting faces he likes to pull, be nice and smily, look people in the eye and treat people with respect. The press conference prior to Federer-Murray match was appalling: he looked as if he wanted to be somewhere else, no smiles, no nothing. This is part of your job, man! Wake up and be nice.

- Chanty , Lugano, Switzerland, 12/11/2012 08:41

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2231491/Andy-Murray-beaten-Roger-Federer-ATP-Finals-semi-final.html#ixzz2C0QwWqz3
 Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

this is what annoys me the most, just because Federer is the "darling" of the press and puts on that fake smug smile of his on cue everybody, expects Andy to be the same, and they think this is the reason Andy is not so popular in his own country? this beggars belief and just shows how fickle supporters can be.

If they bothered to read up on people, they would know that Andy off the court is one of the nicest most caring people in the tennis world, he is respected by his peers and has many friends on the tour, he also has a wonderful sense of humour as demonstrated by the many skits he does for children in need etc and his participation in rally for relief, why why why do they focus on his on court demeanour so much? it pisses me off, i like that about him, he gets energy from it and thats what makes him play better, i say stuff them all if they do not appreciate him, oh and this...

"Murray’s performance and behaviour since Wimbledon have been impeccable and sometimes you wonder if British sports followers deserve him."

That is from the journo at the Daily mail, and for once i absolutely agree..  

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4007 on: November 12, 2012, 12:45 PM »

hear hear gnome. And like you rarely agree with Mail.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4008 on: November 12, 2012, 01:05 PM »

brilliant - http://www.thetennisspace.com/review-of-andy-murrays-season/
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4009 on: November 12, 2012, 01:06 PM »

Thanks Dani.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4010 on: November 12, 2012, 01:08 PM »

Wonderful article,John,thanks for the link!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4011 on: November 12, 2012, 01:34 PM »

jk that's a great piece by Camber -many thanks. And I agree with him that a player can't necessarily assume the support of his home crowd. But to get such vocal opposition must have been upsetting [though of course we can't be sure it was British fans who booed etc].
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4012 on: November 12, 2012, 02:56 PM »

Mike Dickson: Why British fans should always back Murray... even against His Rogerness

In a global survey of 50,000 people last year, Roger Federer emerged as the world’s second most trusted and admired human being behind Nelson Mandela.

Andy Murray might console himself with this fact as he begins his off-season today, perhaps wondering why his match at the 02 Arena last night occasionally felt like an away Davis Cup tie versus Switzerland.

Outside his homeland Federer is admired nowhere more than he is in the UK, and understandably so, given his marvellous deeds at Wimbledon and the way that, even at 31, he remains among the most miraculously gifted and graceful athletes in any sport to watch.

He also attracts an international travelling fan club unlike anyone else in tennis, so it was no surprise that there were so many national flags and T shirts on show bearing the white cross on a red background.

It all made for an outstanding atmosphere, but what was also surprising was the lack of emphatic support for the home player, one playing his first tournament in London since his historic achievement of banishing the ghost of Fred Perry by winning the US Open.

And wasn’t that emotional and generous speech after the Wimbledon final meant to have turned us into a nation of Murray converts at long last?

Not on the evidence of last night, when he actually got booed by some sections as he changed his racket during the tiebreak.

One colleague reported astonishment at finding that someone with a broad Scottish accent was wearing one of those ‘RF’-logoed shirts.

If I had a pound for every time I told a reader, colleague or friend that the British No 1 is a more appealing chap for the knowing than he comes across on court or in a formal interview I would now be reclining on my yacht in the Caribbean, so let us not go back over old ground.

There will always be a hard core of people in England who will blame Murray for everything from the Barnett Formula to a throwaway line about not supporting England at football when he was much younger, but the fair-minded seemed to have warmed to him more than last night suggested.

What is certain is that he has handled himself impeccably since Wimbledon and has noticeably matured.

His extraordinary work ethic and monastic devotion to his sport has always been there to admire, and now increasingly he is able to make sense of the world in which he finds himself.

His bold decision to hire Ivan Lendl as coach, and the resulting Grand Slam victory, has simply been one of the great stories of a great sporting year.

Yet who is more likely to to win an award on Sports Personality of the Year next month?

Tennis players traditionally do well in the Overseas category, with six recipients in the last eleven years.

Novak Djokovic is the holder and Federer has won it three times.

He probably will not win it again in the year of the London Olympics, but he will not be far off in recognition of his latest Wimbledon title.

Murray is sure to poll strongly, as he should after achieving so much in a global individual sport which he competes at without any help from team-mates, but last night’s events bolster the view that Bradley Wiggins is a cert.

At what is a truly international event in a very international city it was not that Murray received a hostile reception from the 17,800 packed into the O2.

He was roared onto the court at the start of the match, and you can be sure that if it was against ABF (Anyone But Federer) he would have been the crowd favourite.

Seemingly we are prepared to forgive Federer’s his odd fashion faux-pas and occasional unselfconscious arrogance, but find it harder to look beyond Murray’s less serene demeanour on court to see how true he is to himself away from it.

Nonetheless, you would hope that next time a predominantly British crowd will not bend the knee quite so much before His Rogerness and get more behind a British player.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2231786/Andy-Murray-home-support-Roger-Federer.html?ITO=socialnet-twitter-dmailsports&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=socialnet-twitter-dmailsports
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #4013 on: November 12, 2012, 03:32 PM »

Aww Dani, thanks for the link of the article...at least people are noticing that Roger kinda gets an unfair advantage with the crowd.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4014 on: November 12, 2012, 04:28 PM »

After yesterday's match, I told my friend that I was ashamed of how my fellow country men and women treated Andy yesterday. Such disrespect for our first grand slam and Olympic champ in years shows how fickle we can be sometimes, can't imagine what the Scots made of it all.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4015 on: November 12, 2012, 04:29 PM »

"Seemingly we are prepared to forgive Federer his occasional unselfconscious arrogance..."

Occasional?

lol
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4016 on: November 12, 2012, 04:54 PM »

And not all of us.   
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4017 on: November 12, 2012, 05:02 PM »

Because of Feds arrogance and huge EGO the guy will have to play tennis forever.Just imagine it how awfull when he does retire he will just be like you and me guys but with loads of money and titles.He gets his kicks out of playing the game thinking he's the best thing since sliced bread, and that everybody loves and adores him.Tough to leave that all behind.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4018 on: November 12, 2012, 05:13 PM »

Because of Feds arrogance and huge EGO the guy will have to play tennis forever.Just imagine it how awfull when he does retire he will just be like you and me guys but with loads of money and titles.He gets his kicks out of playing the game thinking he's the best thing since sliced bread, and that everybody loves and adores him.Tough to leave that all behind.

Yes, he's going to be hell to live with when he retires. Poor Mirka. I never thought I'd say that, but it's true. Poor cow is married to the scum of the earth with an ego the size of Everest, and when he retires she'll be stuck with him. If I was her I'd get a job and a life and leave him to see to the kids every day. Course, Daddy might have to introduce himself first. People always tell their kids they shouldn't speak to strange men and I can't imagine him being a hands on father.

Okay, going now before I get really unkind.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4019 on: November 12, 2012, 06:28 PM »

Did anyone post this one?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/atptour/9671645/Roger-Federer-fans-leave-home-favourite-Andy-Murray-feeling-unloved-during-ATP-World-Tour-Finals-contest.html
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 ... 741 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »