Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 [270] 271 272 273 ... 714 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 417530 times)
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4035 on: November 13, 2012, 06:18 AM »

Fed's not happy about the court speeds ""Attacking style is more important. It's only on this type of slow courts that you can defend the way we are all doing right now."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20121113/federer-wants-faster-courts/#ixzz2C54slLJ4
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4036 on: November 13, 2012, 08:35 AM »

And if Fed wants faster courts, guess what will happen. Oh no, silly me, not no.1 in the world anymore is he, so he'll have no say. Someone should tell him to shut his mouth and get on with it before he retires.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4037 on: November 13, 2012, 09:01 AM »

The compliment was reciprocated by Federer, who explained: “You can’t expect the crowd to be cheering for you if you’re playing Andy in this country, so I do respect their support. I don’t take it for granted. I think it’s very special that I do have it all around the world – not just in England.”

Oh shut up, Roger.
You would have had the courtesy to ask them to cheer for Andy too then...

Smugscum really is the vilest creature ever to crawl on the face of the earth. To effectively play the 'look at how much support I've got!' card after Sunday night's shameful scene is just breathtaking in its arrogance. He says he doesn't take it for granted, but of course he does. He got a smaller (but fair, no one cheered his errors) amount of support during the Olympic final and he sulked his way through the match. Even Andrew Castle remarked that he 'wasn't feeling the love' and then that 'he needs to decide how much he wants to be out there, how much he wants to fight', and it was because he wasn't getting the usual mindless adulation. Federer could learn a thing or ten from Andy about how to behave when things are not 100% going his way.

The way Smugscum says 'you can't expect the crowd to be cheering for you if you're playing Andy in this country' is so clearly a dig, it's practically carrying its own shovel. When will that spineless, gutless arrogant git ever learn some common decency?

I must admit though, I am also still fuming with that useless umpire. Never mind all that 'quiet please' crap, he should have told them to show respect to both players, especially when the booing started.

It seems clear to me that Sunday night was not so much about supporting Smugscum as it was distracting Andy from the task. The annoying thing in a way is that should Andy win Wimbledon next year, those same people, or some of them, will be all over Andy like a rash. I sincerely hope he thanks them for their support and then tells them to get stuffed.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4038 on: November 13, 2012, 10:48 AM »

To be fair it is getting ridiculous how much they are slowing down the courts. Won't be long before every court plays like clay.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4039 on: November 13, 2012, 10:50 AM »

Guys,I was reading this,and I know it isn't big news,or anything,but it brought a big smile to my face to see that Andy featured in every single one of the interviewee's greatest moments Very Happy

What was the greatest moment of 2012? The biggest disappointment? The surprise of the year? The disappointment of the season? A selection of the tennis media share their thoughts:

Courtney Nguyen, Sports Illustrated:

Greatest moment: Andy Murray wins Olympic gold, beating Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer on the way. The US Open win was obviously more significant, but it was nice to see Murray do something none of the other top three will do: win Olympic Gold at their home Olympics.

Worst moment: Rafa goes MIA. He was on his way to another fantastic season and it’s hard not to wonder how the second half of the season would have unfurled if he had been healthy.

Biggest surprise: Angelique Kerber’s sustained form over the course of the season. She won more matches this year than she had in her six prior seasons combined and she’s one member of the top five to beat Serena all year. Her US Open semifinal run in 2011 was no fluke.

Biggest disappointment: Petra Kvitova. Just 115 points out of the No. 1 ranking at the start of the year, Kvitova looked poised to be the young name to sit atop the rankings. Instead, she proved remarkably fragile physically. I hope the Fed Cup win spurs her on in 2013. For my money she’s the most exciting player of her generation. When her game is clicking only Serena can rival her power and shotmaking.

-

Mike Dickson, The Daily Mail:

Greatest moment: Andy Murray winning the US Open.

Worst moment: Rafael Nadal being taken off court with light to spare at Wimbledon so they could close the roof with 40-minute hiatus.

Biggest surprise: Sara Errani’s mysterious rise from journeywoman Disappointment: Failure of new generation of men’s players to do better.

-

Simon Cambers, The Tennis Space:

Greatest moment: The noise on Centre Court at Wimbledon when Andy Murray won the first point of the final.

Worst moment: The retirement of Kim Clijsters. Great player, always a pleasure to deal with

Biggest surprise: Lukas Rosol’s victory over Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon.

Biggest disappointment: Nadal’s absence for the rest of the year. He is missed by everyone.

-

Alexandra Willis, The Tennis Space:

Greatest moment: Andy Murray’s reaction to winning the US Open title. No shirt-ripping, no falling flatting on his back. Just squatting down on his haunches to try and absorb the enormity of what he had just achieved.

Worst moment: The unnecessary drama drummed up by Margaret Court during the Australian Open.

Biggest surprise: Laura Robson. The British teen has always been highly thought of, but the manner in which she competed to beat Kim Clijsters and then Li Na in New York was nothing short of astonishing.

Disappointment: Bernard Tomic. So talented, and yet, nothing. The only news Bernard made in 2012 was bad news.

-

Paul Newman, The Independent:

Greatest moment: Andy Murray winning the US Open.

Worst moment: Rafael Nadal revealing the return of his knee problems.

Biggest surprise: Sara Errani emerging as a contender for major honours.

Biggest disappointment: Bernard Tomic.

http://www.thetennisspace.com/the-highlights-and-lowlights-of-the-tennis-year/
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4040 on: November 13, 2012, 10:54 AM »

I must admit though, I am also still fuming with that useless umpire. Never mind all that 'quiet please' crap, he should have told them to show respect to both players, especially when the booing started.

You're so right when you say that the umpire was useless-in fact,to my mind,he deserves a portion of the blame for the shambles the night turned into.Not all of it,or the lion's share,but some,because he could have and should have put a stop to the nonsense,and he just utterly failed at it.Even my mum,who knows a bit about tennis but not loads,when I told her about what happened said "but where was the umpire in all of that?Surely it should've been part of his job to sort that out."
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4041 on: November 13, 2012, 11:28 AM »

Beautiful article John, thanks for sharing.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4042 on: November 13, 2012, 12:28 PM »

You're so right when you say that the umpire was useless-in fact,to my mind,he deserves a portion of the blame for the shambles the night turned into.Not all of it,or the lion's share,but some,because he could have and should have put a stop to the nonsense,and he just utterly failed at it.Even my mum,who knows a bit about tennis but not loads,when I told her about what happened said "but where was the umpire in all of that?Surely it should've been part of his job to sort that out."

Wasn't the umpire the same umpire for the final who got name checked by Federer in his losing speech? if so the plot thickens
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4043 on: November 13, 2012, 12:44 PM »

Guys,I was reading this,and I know it isn't big news,or anything,but it brought a big smile to my face to see that Andy featured in every single one of the interviewee's greatest moments Very Happy

http://www.thetennisspace.com/the-highlights-and-lowlights-of-the-tennis-year/

brought a smile to my face too dani.  Good to see Andy's achievements getting wide recognition.  I bet our Kev (Mitchell) would have had him as greatest moment too - probably Henry's hug!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4044 on: November 13, 2012, 01:45 PM »

Wasn't the umpire the same umpire for the final who got name checked by Federer in his losing speech? if so the plot thickens

It was, but of course I wouldn't dream of saying a word....... I've often thought Lars was a bit of a prat to be honest, and that dopey Wayne wotsisface who did the US Open final. Where do they get these people from? I like Ramos and Layhani. They are both pretty fair. Layhani is comical as well, and isn't frightened to put Federer in his place. He's done it before.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4045 on: November 13, 2012, 01:54 PM »

The umpire, to put it plainly, should have had the gumption, I was tempted to say the balls, to get a grip on the crowd.

I remember once, when Tim Henman was playing, there was a people's Sunday at Wimbledon, due to bad weather in the week. If I recall, entry to all the courts was £5 or something. That attracted a lot of kids. I remember the crowd got quite rowdy at one of Tim's matches, nothing out of the ordinary, but loud. The umpire threatened to have the court cleared if they didn't behave. They still cheered, but it was more respectful of the opponent as well as Tim.

I wouldn't want to see an empty court for an Andy match, it would be a shame. But surely the umpire in his situation could have taken some control? He didn't and it was awful.

I'm not saying Andy would have won if the crowd had behaved like decent human beings, he may have still lost. However, he deserved to be treated with more respect than he got.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4046 on: November 13, 2012, 02:13 PM »

I find the behaviour of many in the crowd at the 02 terrible. As usual because he does not "Conform" to the image of a British or should I say Scottish because he lost disgusting. I have just read the times this morning and the article was very true. It said in it that the British or should I say English do not "Get" Murray. He seems to get more support in America. They see a man who has put a lot of energy into his game and has never given up trying to win and improve his game. I felt so angry and did not post early because of it. But I think I am being fair in my comments. I was so glad when Nole beat Smugfed and burst his self inflated bubble.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4047 on: November 13, 2012, 02:23 PM »

Andy also said he would not be attending SPOTY as it would break up his training block in Florida. I think he has made a very wise decision if the home crowd don't support him when he is playing I am sure he would not win anyway.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: News Articles « Reply #4048 on: November 13, 2012, 02:23 PM »

End of season blog;

http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/end-of-season-blog-/
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4049 on: November 13, 2012, 02:38 PM »

brought a smile to my face too dani.  Good to see Andy's achievements getting wide recognition.  I bet our Kev (Mitchell) would have had him as greatest moment too - probably Henry's hug!

So agree Ruthie!
In fact,I hadn't discovered the existence of this forum then (It still remains a mystery to me how,in all my time as an Andy fan,I only discovered this site this summer,but oh well!Better late than never!) but I remember reading a piece by guardian journalists,where they were asked to decide on their favourite moments of London 2012.If I remember correctly,and I think I do,our Kev was asked,and he did pick Henry's hug!I think I'm gonna go and check that now...

I found it!!And you were spot on Ruthie!!

"17 Murray finally wins at Wimbledon

Got to be Henry's Hug. When the 11-year-old Henry Caplan, eyes welling up, rushed through the seats on Centre Court at Wimbledon to hug Andy Murray after he'd beaten Roger Federer to win the gold medal, sport went from theatre to humanity. Henry told his startled father he "had to go". It was a spontaneous gesture that captured the emotion of the moment and told us something about the changing relationship between Murray and tennis fans who have taken a little while to warm to him. If a small boy from Essex can embrace the Scot, surely the rest of the country can too. Even south of the border. Kevin Mitchell"

Now,obviously that was at the end of the Olympics,and well before the USO and all of that.But Kev still picked that moment out of hundreds of memorable,wonderful ones in the Games,when he didn't even have to be bound by choosing within tennis  Smile
Personally,I don't know if I could pick just one Andy moment from his achievements-I'd probably be begging them to let me put down a few!
[ Last edit by xxdanixx November 13, 2012, 02:50 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 [270] 271 272 273 ... 714 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »