Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 ... 736 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 444053 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4050 on: November 13, 2012, 02:45 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2231786/Andy-Murray-home-support-Roger-Federer.html
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4051 on: November 13, 2012, 02:46 PM »

The umpire, to put it plainly, should have had the gumption, I was tempted to say the balls, to get a grip on the crowd.

I remember once, when Tim Henman was playing, there was a people's Sunday at Wimbledon, due to bad weather in the week. If I recall, entry to all the courts was £5 or something. That attracted a lot of kids. I remember the crowd got quite rowdy at one of Tim's matches, nothing out of the ordinary, but loud. The umpire threatened to have the court cleared if they didn't behave. They still cheered, but it was more respectful of the opponent as well as Tim.

I wouldn't want to see an empty court for an Andy match, it would be a shame. But surely the umpire in his situation could have taken some control? He didn't and it was awful.

I'm not saying Andy would have won if the crowd had behaved like decent human beings, he may have still lost. However, he deserved to be treated with more respect than he got.

I agree Teejay.There might as well have been no umpiring being done for all the good it did.I'm not saying he could've made them support Andy-as we have all heard numerous times,everyone's entitled to support who they want.But he should've put a stop to the boing and jeering and nasty nonsense.

And there's no knowing what would've happened if the crowd had been a bit fairer,or at least there had been no nastiness.The result might've been different,or it could've been the same.But Andy has said more than once that he feeds off the positive energy from the crowds,and there was NO positivity to draw from that night-and my heart just felt for him when I watched him realise how against him the crowd was.He looked a little bit lost on the realisation.Yeah,he might be used to that in other countries,where they're supporting a home player or something-but he was in no way expecting it in his hometown,where everyone had thought it would've-should've-been his grand,hugely welcomed homecoming after his magnificent achievements.

The umpire should've taken control of that situation straight away,and never let it get so far out of hand.He should've demanded that some respect be shown.I'm not saying support,just some basic respect.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4052 on: November 13, 2012, 04:12 PM »

So agree Ruthie!
In fact,I hadn't discovered the existence of this forum then (It still remains a mystery to me how,in all my time as an Andy fan,I only discovered this site this summer,but oh well!Better late than never!) but I remember reading a piece by guardian journalists,where they were asked to decide on their favourite moments of London 2012.If I remember correctly,and I think I do,our Kev was asked,and he did pick Henry's hug!I think I'm gonna go and check that now...

I found it!!And you were spot on Ruthie!!

"17 Murray finally wins at Wimbledon

Got to be Henry's Hug. When the 11-year-old Henry Caplan, eyes welling up, rushed through the seats on Centre Court at Wimbledon to hug Andy Murray after he'd beaten Roger Federer to win the gold medal, sport went from theatre to humanity. Henry told his startled father he "had to go". It was a spontaneous gesture that captured the emotion of the moment and told us something about the changing relationship between Murray and tennis fans who have taken a little while to warm to him. If a small boy from Essex can embrace the Scot, surely the rest of the country can too. Even south of the border. Kevin Mitchell"

Now,obviously that was at the end of the Olympics,and well before the USO and all of that.But Kev still picked that moment out of hundreds of memorable,wonderful ones in the Games,when he didn't even have to be bound by choosing within tennis  Smile
Personally,I don't know if I could pick just one Andy moment from his achievements-I'd probably be begging them to let me put down a few!

Yes I remembered it v clearly dani as I thought what a lovely pick.  It still brings tears to my eyes when I see a clip of the HH.  Thanks for reposting what Kev said.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4053 on: November 13, 2012, 04:18 PM »

Yes I remembered it v clearly dani as I thought what a lovely pick.  It still brings tears to my eyes when I see a clip of the HH.  Thanks for reposting what Kev said.

No problem!I absolutely love that clip too-I think those whole few minutes,from when Andy started to climb up to his box,through to when he did his little leap of joy afterwards,were some of the most free,joyous scenes we've ever seen from Andy.It was so wonderful to see.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #4054 on: November 13, 2012, 04:58 PM »

Not sure if this has already been posted: http://www.lta.org.uk/News/2012/November/2012-11-12/Awards-for-Andy-Murray-and-Maia-Lumsden-at-Commonwealth-Games-Dinner/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

Awards for Andy Murray and Maia Lumsden at Commonwealth Games Dinner

After an unparalleled year for British and Scottish sport, there was a lot to celebrate at the Commonwealth Games Awards Dinner in Glasgow at the weekend.

Such was the strength of the nominations this year that judges were unable to choose between Scotland's greatest Olympian Sir Chris Hoy and world number three Andy Murray in his first Grand Slam winning year.  Both were named as Scottish Sportsperson of the Year 2012 and jointly awarded the Emirates Lonsdale Trophy. Chris and Andy will both receive two Business Class flights to Dubai courtesy of Award sponsor Emirates - the Official Airline Partner of Glasgow 2014.

The dinner, organised by Commonwealth Games Scotland in partnership with Glasgow 2014 Ltd., looked back at the incredible success of the London 2012 Olympic Games and contemplated the excitement to come for Scotland over the next two years.

Murray was one of four Scottish athletes shortlisted for the top award of the evening.  He capped a fantastic year by winning his first Grand Slam event, the US Open in a pulsating match against world number one Novak Djokovic.  This followed a breakthrough gold medal win at the London 2012 Olympics, avenging a Wimbledon final loss to Roger Federer.  Partnering Laura Robson, Andy came close to winning two Olympic titles eventually losing in three sets in the mixed doubles final to claim silver.  The year started with reaching the final of the Australian Open and has finished with him being ranked a clear number three in the world going into the season ending ATP Masters finals, behind only Djokovic and Federer.

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #4055 on: November 13, 2012, 06:11 PM »

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_andy-murray-doesnt-expect-to-become-bbc-sports-personality-of-the-year_1764171
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4056 on: November 13, 2012, 06:24 PM »

People attacking English tennis fans in general need to realise that it was not a predominantly English crowd there on Sunday. Said people seem to be under the impression it was a mostly English crowd. It wasn't. As for the booing - yes it's despicable, but it was a minority and there is no proof at all that it was English people.

Yes, Federer has a big English fanbase and yes, some people don't give Murray any respect at all. But the vast majority are coming round to him.

So please, stop the tiresome tirade.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter November 13, 2012, 10:22 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4057 on: November 13, 2012, 07:21 PM »

You are not going to tell me that all the crowd were foreigners come off it. You expect me to believe no one was English in that crowd. I think it was a disgrace the way they behaved. I think you will have to do more than has been said to expect anyone to believe you. You must be hallucinating if that is what you believe.In otherwords what you are saying is RUBBISH.

IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4058 on: November 13, 2012, 07:33 PM »

You are not going to tell me that all the crowd were foreigners come off it. You expect me to believe no one was English in that crowd. I think it was a disgrace the way they behaved. I think you will have to do more than has been said to expect anyone to believe you. You must be hallucinating if that is what you believe.In otherwords what you are saying is RUBBISH.

I don't think it was only English Fed fans behaving badly but Scottish Fed fans too - none of us are in a position to throw stones as regards nationality.  The behaviour of a large contingent of the crowd was absolutely disgraceful, whether they were Swiss, British or Outer Mongolian doesn't really matter.  The umpire should have done something about it at the time and the commentators should have been more damning of the behaviour.  Their silence and merely referring to the atmosphere as 'amazing' or 'electric' just condoned the appalling behaviour.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4059 on: November 13, 2012, 07:34 PM »

It was pointed out by one of the sports  reporters that there were some Fed Fans all dressed up in his colours and cap with strong Scottish accents, so it really was a mixture of foreigners and british booing!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4060 on: November 13, 2012, 08:11 PM »

People attacking English tennis fans in general need to realise that it was not a predominantly English crowd there on Sunday. Said people seem to be under the impression it was a mostly English crowd. It wasn't. As for the booing - yes it's despicable, but it was a minority and there is no proof at all that it was English people.

Yes, Federer has a big English fanbase and yes, some people don't give him any respect at all. But the vast majority are coming round to him.

Well said MH.

And your mud-slinging doesn't help either, LB, so can we please now bring this ridiculous discussion to an end?
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4061 on: November 13, 2012, 09:14 PM »

Agree with all of the comments from Aileen, Michelle and MH. I have a good friend, also Scottish who genuinely supports both Fed and Andy (yes such people exist!) who was at the O2 and tweeted before the semi-final that she was genuinely torn about who to support (and gasp! I didn't think any less of her for it - I'd be a crap friend if I did!). We can't make assumptions based on nationality.

Thanks for posting all the news articles. Was at my parents' at the weekend so couldn't follow this match online.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4062 on: November 13, 2012, 10:08 PM »

Yes, Federer has a big English fanbase and yes, some people don't give him any respect at all. But the vast majority are coming round to him.

Very few of the complaints were against ENGLISH tennis fans.   Most of those I read referred to BRITS not supporting their home player.    I, too, have friends who are
strong Fed supporters, one Scottish and one English.    Both have condemned the crowd's behaviour.    If it was a minority they should have been shouted down by the majority whether Andy fans or decent Fed fans.   

And, Aileen, if you don't like the discussion don't join it.    It will peter out - indignation doesn't last forever.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4063 on: November 13, 2012, 10:18 PM »

What the ****? Did you read my post? At what point did I state that it was all foreigners?

Christ. Calm down, breathe, read my post and then reply before going on off on one.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4064 on: November 13, 2012, 10:22 PM »

Very few of the complaints were against ENGLISH tennis fans.   Most of those I read referred to BRITS not supporting their home player.    I, too, have friends who are
strong Fed supporters, one Scottish and one English.    Both have condemned the crowd's behaviour.    If it was a minority they should have been shouted down by the majority whether Andy fans or decent Fed fans.   

And, Aileen, if you don't like the discussion don't join it.    It will peter out - indignation doesn't last forever.
English, British, my point remains the same. A large part of that crowd were foreign.

Anyway my post was mainly in response to littlebuddha who has once again generalised against the entire country based on inconclusive evidence.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 ... 736 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »