Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 271 [272] 273 274 275 ... 748 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 452764 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4065 on: November 13, 2012, 10:37 PM »

Come on, let's not start arguing amongst ourselves. There's enough bitching from outsiders without us doing it.

I don't see any point in arguing about nationality. The assumption from certain press is that the fans doing the booing were British, as if the British have gone off Andy again. No one said anything about the English specifically.

I think it is too simple to say that the booers were all British, or all Swiss, or whatever. It's equally silly to say they were all English, Scots, whatever it might be. The point, one that I think most of us would broadly agree with, is that the behaviour from a large part of that crowd, but certainly not all of them, was over the top and rude. In my book rudeness is rudeness, wherever you are from.

The discussion will conclude on its own, but if we discuss it, and I think it is right that we should, we should be careful of dragging nationality in to it. To do so is rather like those who dislike Andy because he is a Scot. I don't dislike Federer because he is Swiss, I dislike him because he is an arrogant prat with a large contingent of over the top worshippers.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4066 on: November 13, 2012, 11:05 PM »

English, British, my point remains the same. A large part of that crowd were foreign.

Anyway my post was mainly in response to littlebuddha who has once again generalised against the entire country based on inconclusive evidence.

And my point is that the Brits should not have allowed themselves to be out performed by the foreigners.  Anyway everyone should flick over to Murray pictures and look at the Andy picture from JK.    He melted and so did I.     How could anyone dislike a guy who looks like that?
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4067 on: November 13, 2012, 11:33 PM »

English, British, my point remains the same. A large part of that crowd were foreign.

Anyway my post was mainly in response to littlebuddha who has once again generalised against the entire country based on inconclusive evidence.

How do you know that a large section were foreign? We can all speculate but the truth is that we don't know how many were British or foreign.  I would hope the people with Swiss flags were Swiss. I've never understood any person waving the flag of another nation. It's the saltire or the union flag for me. I'm a big fan of Rafa and Barcelona but I would never wave a Spanish or Catalan flag. To be honest I just find that weird. Each to their own I guess.

I've never booed any player but even if I were the type to do that I'm not sure I'd have the bottle to boo a player in his home tournament.  I think rather than focus on the nationality we should just be disgusted at the behaviour of the morons who were booing and heckling.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I find it disappointing that any Brits would be there supporting Federer. I know they're all entitled to support any player but it's just been such an amazing year for British sport.  Andy should have been treated better.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4068 on: November 13, 2012, 11:46 PM »

What got to me was the fact that the Fed supporters in the crowd, whether Swiss, English, Scottish or Welsh, were well-behaved at the final, so, for whatever reason, it's Andy who appears to be the target for their bile.  I just don't get it - what's he ever done that makes them treat him with such open disrespect? confused
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4069 on: November 13, 2012, 11:49 PM »

What got to me was the fact that the Fed supporters in the crowd, whether Swiss, English, Scottish or Welsh, were well-behaved at the final, so, for whatever reason, it's Andy who appears to be the target for their bile.  I just don't get it - what's he ever done that makes them treat him with such open disrespect? confused

He has a good H2H against their god and he robbed him of the gold medal which he needed for his collection.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4070 on: November 13, 2012, 11:53 PM »

He has a good H2H against their god and he robbed him of the gold medal which he needed for his collection.
Well if that is their reason then it's an extremely puerile one and doesn't say much for their sense of sportsmanship.  They're more to be pitied than condemned really.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4071 on: November 13, 2012, 11:58 PM »

I don't dislike Federer because he is Swiss, I dislike him because he is an arrogant prat with a large contingent of over the top worshippers.

TJ, the problem with Federer is that his arrogance emanates from the fact that he is Swiss, with South African throw in.

But all in all he is (or rather was) a superb tennis player. His time is fast coming to an end and we should begin to ignore him and his supporters.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4072 on: November 14, 2012, 12:03 AM »

In fact they were not well-behaved. Djokovic also experienced their booing. I was there and I heard it. They also were very vociferous in applauding Novak errors giving their hero quick UE points.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4073 on: November 14, 2012, 12:17 AM »

In fact they were not well-behaved. Djokovic also experienced their booing. I was there and I heard it. They also were very vociferous in applauding Novak errors giving their hero quick UE points.
That's interesting OSS.  Of course I believe you but for whatever reason that didn't come across on TV in quite the way it did during Andy's match - in fact it seemed that the Serbian contingent themselves were quite vocal, as always - and they were the ones Messrs Henman, Castle and Petchey occasionally commented on.  Of course Djoko's heinous crime was to topple their beloved idol from his No. 1 spot ...
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4074 on: November 14, 2012, 12:39 AM »

Going by the internet (which is always true), a fair few are annoyed that a lot of tennis pundits have been bigging up the Murray-Djokovic rivalry, and saying they are the hot ticket etc, which combined with the general predictions of Fed's decline has invoked their anger.

I'd argue that it's one thing to cheer loudly to balance up support for your favourite, but there isn't much well mannered people can do to compensate for heckling or jeering during the service motion or at double-faults etc.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4075 on: November 14, 2012, 01:08 AM »

Going by the internet (which is always true), a fair few are annoyed that a lot of tennis pundits have been bigging up the Murray-Djokovic rivalry, and saying they are the hot ticket etc, which combined with the general predictions of Fed's decline has invoked their anger.

I'd argue that it's one thing to cheer loudly to balance up support for your favourite, but there isn't much well mannered people can do to compensate for heckling or jeering during the service motion or at double-faults etc.
Yes that does sound a bit more plausible.  Poor souls can't accept the fact that their hero has more or less had his day and it's time for some younger blood to take over.

As far as hecklers, etc, go there should more stewards around who should be given the right to evict them from the arena - but I've no doubt they'd then complain that their human rights were being violated ... Whistle
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4076 on: November 14, 2012, 02:33 AM »

I know Neil Harman was annoyed with the treatment of Andy.  He retweeted quite a few posts from angry Murray fans. Did anybody read any articles in The Times?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4077 on: November 14, 2012, 06:10 AM »

There were babies crying at two matches I went to.
WTF shocking

@xxdanixx
Thanx for posting those "best sporting moments."  clap
How brilliant were they? yay yay yay
[ Last edit by blueberryhill November 14, 2012, 06:18 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4078 on: November 14, 2012, 07:17 AM »

Just read that a genius of a woman was carrying a banner reading:
"Shhh, Olympic Gold Medalist At Work."
Anyone going to a Murray match- you know what you have to do!  yay
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4079 on: November 14, 2012, 07:44 AM »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/sportsman/11/08/Andy-Murray-Jon-Wertheim/index.html

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/357996/Andy-Murray-is-good-enough-to-become-World-No-1-  Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 271 [272] 273 274 275 ... 748 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »