Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 283 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 503510 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4185 on: November 21, 2012, 05:33 PM »

It took Andy quite a long time to get a new coach, but he hit the jackpot with Lendl!

I agree with that, absolutely. I always thought Andy was very wise not to be rushed into choosing a coach quickly. I know it drove the pundits mad, but he was right to take his time and get the person who is right for him. At this point it works with Lendl, obviously. They have clicked so well, they obviously get on, and Andy is moving well in the right direction. We couldn't ask for more than that.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4186 on: November 21, 2012, 07:09 PM »

Yes and I am sure he will not put up with any nonsense from the press either.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Articles « Reply #4187 on: November 22, 2012, 12:06 AM »

It is terrible that he cannot express his thoughts freely without having to be guarded in what he says.

Isn't that true of most people, especially those in the public eye?  My experience of some Australians is that they don't give a frig how someone takes it and I find it quite refreshing at times. blink
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4188 on: November 22, 2012, 01:59 AM »

I think Lendl is very wise in his dealings with the press in terms of Andy. It seems clear to me that he thinks Andy has potential to win a number of slams, but I love the way he won't put a number on it, and won't have the press suggesting it will be easy. The last thing Andy really needs now is the press building him up to kick him down if he fails to meet their standards.

Also like the comment he makes about not being able to compare eras. Very true.
Same feelings TJ Smile
Mine too.  Also the fact that he refuses to make any comment as to whether Andy will dominate the sport or not and that it's a case of taking one match at a time, one tournament at a time, and seeing what happens.  Hopefully Andy's supporters will take the same sensible view and cut out the doom and gloom when he loses.  If Andy and Lendl can remain positive, then we should do likewise.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4189 on: November 22, 2012, 09:03 AM »

Mine too.  Also the fact that he refuses to make any comment as to whether Andy will dominate the sport or not and that it's a case of taking one match at a time, one tournament at a time, and seeing what happens.  Hopefully Andy's supporters will take the same sensible view and cut out the doom and gloom when he loses.  If Andy and Lendl can remain positive, then we should do likewise.

The thing is, I think there will be people who will think Lendl is contradicting himself, suggesting that Andy is only 20% of where he is capable of being, but also saying that going on some sort of run of wins won't be easy, but I don't see a contradiction. What I personally see is a coach who believes that there could very well be more, much more, to come from Andy, but at the same time it is a process, a journey, if you like. I think that's such a good message to send out, both to Andy and beyond, because it sends out confidence about Andy's ability, whilst not putting him under ridiculous amounts of pressure, or rather, no more pressure than he would put in himself.

I think we could all use a dose of Lendl-like realism. Don't get me wrong, I'd love Andy to go on a run and win every match he plays. However, I know that may not be possible. All players, whether it's Andy or Djokovic, Federer, whoever, have days when it simply doesn't work, for whatever reason.  The key, it seems to me, is how you deal with that. Andy has picked himself up after 4 major final losses and remained positive enough to put himself in a position to come through, and he did. The way I look at it is that if Andy can do that then I'm able to deal with the odd loss, even the inexplicable losses, because they are few and far between.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4190 on: November 22, 2012, 10:05 AM »

Another Ivan interview!Doesn't say too much different to what he's already been saying,but I loved the line about him smiling inside during matches,and the way he talked about now having an understanding of what makes Andy tick made me excited for next year!

Ivan Lendl confident of guiding Andy Murray to more success next year

Ivan Lendl has told Metro of his bold plans to get Andy Murray in shape to win all four grand slams next year.

Murray enjoyed a breakthrough year working with former world No.1 Lendl, reaching the Wimbledon final before winning Olympic gold and then breaking his grand-slam duck to land the US Open.

Now Lendl wants more of the same next year and even expects the Scot to challenge at the French Open, where Murray has reached the semi-final only once, in 2011.

Did you expect Andy to make such rapid strides under your tutelage this year?

‘Yes but I told Andy when I first met him it would take time. I said it could take from six to nine months before the improvements started to take effect and he excelled at the US Open.'
'He had delivered at the Olympics and played extremely well against Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final, so I knew things were going in the direction we wanted.’

What persuaded you to work with him?

‘We met and also chatted on the phone, and I was impressed how much he wanted to learn, how much he wanted to improve and  how much he wanted to win.’

What has been the biggest improvement in your relationship with Andy?

‘I now have more of an understanding about what makes him tick and we can build successfully on that. There is a lot to look forward to next year.’

He loves the Australian Open, reaching the final in 2010 and 2011, so you must be expecting a rapid start to the season.

‘All the other players will be targeting the Australian Open, wanting to make a bold start to the new year, so it is vital Andy has a healthy, fundamentally strong base to build on.’

The French Open is not one of his favourite events, given it is played on his least favourite surface. What are his chances like at Roland Garros?

‘No one has won the French Open without having enjoyed a good clay-court season. But if he works on aspects of his game I want him to improve, then he can do it.’

Andy has already proved he is the one to beat in New York but winning Wimbledon must be his main priority?

‘I am way too old to worry about what people think but Wimbledon is very prestigious. Players always want to win their home grand slam but he can only prepare and give it his best.’

You have a reputation for being very cold when you are watching from the sidelines, even when things are going well.

‘People don’t know what I am thinking. I’m smiling inside.’

Are you looking forward to playing in next month’s Statoil Masters at the Royal Albert Hall?

‘Yes, I will meet up with a lot of friends, it is a great event.’

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/918646-ivan-lendl-confident-of-guiding-andy-murray-to-more-success-next-year
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4191 on: November 22, 2012, 10:06 AM »

So,according to twitter (because we know that's aaalways reliable lol!)apparently Andy's been spotted twice this morning-one girl reckons she saw him in duty-free at an airport in Costa (I'm presuming Costa Rica?),another guy tweeted that he's now on the same plane as Andy-didn't say where.Hope he & Kim had/are having a fun trip,whatever they're up to!
IP Logged
snorkel.maiden
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #4192 on: November 22, 2012, 12:11 PM »

I really hope the press don't find them- they deserve some privacy and some normalcy before the insanity of the season starts up again!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4193 on: November 22, 2012, 12:35 PM »

Yes enjoy your holiday Andy you deserve it after a great year.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: News Articles « Reply #4194 on: November 22, 2012, 12:44 PM »

Could be Costa Coffee  Wink
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4195 on: November 22, 2012, 01:12 PM »

I like Ross

I LOVE Ross!   wub
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4196 on: November 22, 2012, 06:48 PM »

I'm not sure if this counts as News, but Sports Illustrated are taking votes for the Inspiring Performer of 2012, and Andy's one of the nominees.  Smile

https://www.facebook.com/SportsIllustrated/app_410117992388686

I think it must have been Costa coffee at a UK airport too, as the person who spotted him there is now in Poland.
[ Last edit by *Sparkle* November 22, 2012, 07:05 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4197 on: November 22, 2012, 06:53 PM »

loved the line about smiling inside too dani.   Everything Lendl says give me such confidence for the coming year and beyond. And like tj I'm so glad Andy didn't allow himself to be rushed into finding a coach despite all the pressure (including from some on MW  Whistle )
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4198 on: November 23, 2012, 01:04 PM »

Another award for Andy. (from Judy's twitter):

My darling twin nieces collecting Andy's Sportsman of the Year Award from Stirling Council tonight. Showstoppers! X

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4199 on: November 23, 2012, 01:10 PM »

Judy & Ivan props. Smile

British Tennis‏@BritishTennis

Congratulations to @judmoo & Ivan Lendl who have been inducted into the #tennis Hall of Fame @ 2012 @sportscoachUK Awards.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 283 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »