Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 283 [284] 285 286 287 ... 713 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 413343 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4245 on: November 27, 2012, 10:11 PM »

Andy Murray’s watershed year

Few can argue that the summer of 2012 was one of the most memorable in the history of British sport, with the historic London Olympics and Paralympics following Bradley Wiggins’ Tour de France triumph and preceding a brilliant, Brit-inspired comeback by Team Europe in the Ryder Cup. But in amongst all the passionate patriotism of the Olympic Stadium and the frenzied atmosphere awaiting Team Sky on the Champs-Elysees, it was a less momentous episode that proved to be one of the most influential.

After his agonising 4-6 7-5 6-3 6-4 defeat to Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final in July, Andy Murray broke down in tears during his interview with Sue Barker on the BBC. The world number three, who had become the first British man since Bunny Austin in 1938 to contest the men’s final, had long been regarded as the Marmite figure of British sport due to his tough on-court demeanour and lack of emotion in interviews and post-match press conferences provoking mixed interpretations for supporters. Prior to the 2006 World Cup, Murray famously caused controversy by stating that he would support ‘anyone but England’ in the tournament, and much of the animosity felt towards him since can be related to his strong desire to be considered Scottish, not British.

Nonetheless, the majority of fans were humbled by his moving speech on Centre Court after the Wimbledon defeat. Murray managed to murmur, “I’m going to try this, it’s not going to be easy” before breaking down in tears, and as the camera panned around the packed stadium in the interim, it appeared that every other spectator was experiencing similar pangs of emotion. Murray eventually managed his acceptance speech, and as he passed the microphone to Federer, there was a palpable sense amongst the tennis community that they had just witnessed a watershed moment in the career of the British number one.

Since Murray’s on-court breakdown, the hard-hitting Dunblanite has gone from strength to strength, claiming a precious gold medal in the men’s singles at the Olympics on Centre Court less than a month after his heart-breaking defeat at SW19. His straight sets demolition of Roger Federer was as dominant and professional a display as we had ever seen by Murray before, sweeping the world number two aside with ease to partially exorcise the demons of the Wimbledon final and claim what he then called ‘the biggest win of my career’. With the gold medal round his neck (swiftly followed by a silver, claimed in the mixed doubles alongside Laura Robson), Murray appeared more confident and self-assured in his game and in himself, and the hope that he could carry the Team GB spirit into September and his favourite major, the US Open, was universally held.

Murray’s route to the final in New York was, as always, one of trials and tribulations. A determined fight-back from a set and two breaks down to overcome Marin Cilic in the quarter-finals preceded an epic four-hour encounter with Tomas Berdych that secured his place in a second consecutive final at Flushing Meadows. The deciding clash against Novak Djokovic on September 11th was the first time that British tennis fans genuinely felt Murray was capable of claiming a Grand Slam title and ending a drought of almost 80 years; moreover, with Murray’s tears still fresh in the memory, support was strongly united in favour of the Brit. This faith was greatly shaken after four sets, by which point the Brit had squandered a two-set lead and allowed Djokovic to gain the momentum back after an electric start from Murray. However, the dogged determination and self-belief that had been bolstered by his successful summer saw Murray wrestle the initiative back from the Serb and serve out for the match and the championship, taking the result 7-6 7-5 2-6 3-6 6-2 in just under five hours.

Finally, Murray had conquered the unconquerable, securing himself a deserved seat at the top table of tennis and joining an elite list of Grand Slam winners. The journey from blubbering wreck at the beginning of July to US Open champion barely two months later was an exhilarating one, but Murray had finally proved that he had the mettle to be considered the best. Even a semi-final defeat in the year-ending ATP Tour Finals in London earlier this month (ironically at the hands of Djokovic) could not blemish the gleaming accomplishments of Murray in 2012.

So what now for Andy? Many have noted that the imminent return of his tormentor, Rafael Nadal, to the tennis circuit will decrease the likelihood of Murray monopolising the Grand Slams in 2013, and some are still unconvinced about his consistency throughout a season. However, the cliché states that ‘the first one is the hardest’, and with the US Open title under his belt, the Brit will harbour a new found sense of confidence in his attempts to topple the reigning kings of world tennis and become world number one by the end of next year. His relationship with coach Ivan Lendl is proving to be an increasingly fruitful one, with the Czech’s honing of his protégé’s technique and hardening of his mental stability a definitive reason for Murray’s increased success. But more than anything else, future triumph for the Brit will surely lie in the grit and confidence that has come from a year full of highs and lows, and a self-belief borne in the tears shed on Centre Court at the start of a magnificent summer.

http://theboar.org/sport/2012/nov/27/andy-murrays-watershed-year/
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4246 on: November 27, 2012, 10:14 PM »

You have absolutely taken this to a hysterical level. You are also awfully defensive about Kim.
OK, I wasn't going to comment further, but you just can't help throwing out those insults, can you?  I'm not particularly defensive about Kim, although I do think your wild claims about how she might feel were incredibly patronising, but I realise that your suppositions were based on a rather out-dated, and sexist view of how women should think and feel, and probably little to do with Kim herself.  I thought what you said was insulting and explained why.  You don't think it's insulting and that's your business, but you are giving off very mixed messages.

I've no idea why you bring up how many girlfriends Sampras has, or that Andy and Kim may not stay together forever.  Maybe they won't.  It's nothing to do with me, or whether or not most women would need to photographed hold hands with their boyfriends in an airport, or if they are capable of pushing their own luggage, but I do know that you cannot judge a relationship based on a photograph selected by a tabloid photo-editor.  So many celebs will tell you that the newspapers will run a story about them being angry about something,  based on a photo of them looking a bit cross, but the reality is that the celeb in question momentarily sighed because the paparazzi were getting in their way, and then the papers ran the worst photo of the many taken because it made for a better story.

Attempting to inject a bit of common sense into a debate is not hysteria.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4247 on: November 27, 2012, 10:19 PM »

"and much of the animosity felt towards him since can be related to his strong desire to be considered Scottish, not British."

Eyebrow raise.

He's never once shown any desire to not be British. English, yes, because Scotland and England are two different nations. Why are the constant myths always spouted?

"Even a semi-final defeat in the year-ending ATP Tour Finals in London earlier this month (ironically at the hands of Djokovic)"

Needs to do some more research.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #4248 on: November 27, 2012, 10:32 PM »

You've made some excellent and perfectly logical points, Sparkle.

Thank gawd my hubbster & I are not under scrutiny of the public eye. If anyone caught pics of us getting off our last transatlantic flight suffering from jetlag, we probably would have looked like we were ready for divorce.

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4249 on: November 27, 2012, 10:48 PM »

"and much of the animosity felt towards him since can be related to his strong desire to be considered Scottish, not British."

Eyebrow raise.

He's never once shown any desire to not be British. English, yes, because Scotland and England are two different nations. Why are the constant myths always spouted?

"Even a semi-final defeat in the year-ending ATP Tour Finals in London earlier this month (ironically at the hands of Djokovic)"

Needs to do some more research.

I know,not a great article,was it?I mainly posted it cos it was at least positive about Andy,even if not always accurate.After so much crap that's been posted about him,I think I'll always appreciate any positivity!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4250 on: November 27, 2012, 10:57 PM »

I know,not a great article,was it?I mainly posted it cos it was at least positive about Andy,even if not always accurate.After so much crap that's been posted about him,I think I'll always appreciate any positivity!
It seems reasonable.

Getting confused between the Scottish/English and Scottish/British thing is quite annoying.  Unfortunately, some English people don't seem to realise the difference between British and English, so it's bound to happen.  I remember my Scottish auntie being in utter dispair on holiday once because a perfectly pleasant couple insisted on asking when she'd be going home to England.  She kept trying to explain she was actually Scottish, but they just looked blank and repeated the question, eventually rolling their eyes at her for being fussy.  IMO, calling a Scottish person English, or vice versa is equivalent to getting their name wrong.  It can be an understandable mistake, but the person is well within their rights to put you right on the subject and hope that you'll get it right in the future.

I'm never quite sure whether to be pleased or not when I see people say they used to hate Andy, but he seems like a nice lad now, and he was young when he made those anti-English comments, and he's grown up a bit now and it's time to forgive him.  So many people genuinely believed them to be true and think they are being all magnanimous by forgiving him, and they are trying to be nice and probably are nice people - just mis-informed.  You don't know whether it's worth having it out with them or just leaving them be.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4251 on: November 27, 2012, 11:07 PM »

It seems reasonable.

I'm never quite sure whether to be pleased or not when I see people say they used to hate Andy, but he seems like a nice lad now, and he was young when he made those anti-English comments, and he's grown up a bit now and it's time to forgive him.  So many people genuinely believed them to be true and think they are being all magnanimous by forgiving him, and they are trying to be nice and probably are nice people - just mis-informed.  You don't know whether it's worth having it out with them or just leaving them be.

So true.I used to get really irritated by it,and try and clue them in to the background of it-ie "it was a JOKE to a friend,in response to him being teased,he's actually always been nice,etc etc" but at this point,I tend to try to just appreciate the positivity!Unless they're being really unbearable about it,in which case I'm still quite prepared to talk their ear off about how he's always been the nice person that people are finally seeing him as now Very Happy
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4252 on: November 28, 2012, 01:21 AM »

Other than that, I quite enjoyed it. But it was clearly written by someone who knows little about Andy and perpetuates the myth that he is anti-English.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4253 on: November 28, 2012, 02:19 AM »

Getting confused between the Scottish/English and Scottish/British thing is quite annoying.  Unfortunately, some English people don't seem to realise the difference between British and English, so it's bound to happen.  I remember my Scottish auntie being in utter dispair on holiday once because a perfectly pleasant couple insisted on asking when she'd be going home to England.  She kept trying to explain she was actually Scottish, but they just looked blank and repeated the question, eventually rolling their eyes at her for being fussy.  IMO, calling a Scottish person English, or vice versa is equivalent to getting their name wrong.  It can be an understandable mistake, but the person is well within their rights to put you right on the subject and hope that you'll get it right in the future.
I get seriously annoyed at the England=Great Britain brigade, and it certainly sounds as though that couple were in that category.  Nothing new though, they've been around for decades.  I've even seen frequent references in the English-based newspapers to Prince William being the future King of England.   No surprise that the Americans in particular constantly refer to England when they mean GB. 
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Articles « Reply #4254 on: November 28, 2012, 07:32 AM »

Post of the year. roflmao
Yep!  Whistle
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4255 on: November 28, 2012, 12:11 PM »

Spot on.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4256 on: November 28, 2012, 02:53 PM »

Five things about writing a biography of Britain’s first male grand slam singles champion since the 1930s – Andy Murray: Champion: The Full Extraordinary Story.-Mark Hodgkinson

What happened at The O2 in east London the other day – there was some light booing when he was playing Roger Federer – hasn’t changed my view, and this was one of the central parts of the book, that the British public now have a new appreciation of Andrew Barron Murray.

Let’s not allow some noisy Swiss fans to make us think otherwise. Of course, it would be naive in the extreme to imagine that all those keyboard warriors who have spent years filling comments pages with their ‘anyone but Murray’ messages are now going to stop typing, just because the Scot won the Olympics and became the first British man since the Edwardian era to hold up a grand slam singles trophy (in the tennis blogosphere, the dim are still dim, the witless are still witless). At the last two grand slams of the year, Murray showed two different parts of his character, with each as important as the other in the public relations game. The Wimbledon tears demonstrated his softer, emotional side, while the US Open final was a great display of resolve and mental fortitude.

Suddenly, Murray and the British public were getting on just fine. Better than fine. And Murray, and his supporters, could stop daydreaming about that parallel tennis universe in which, when being interviewed in the summer of 2006, he didn’t make a joke about the England football team. So Murray, no longer the anti-Christ with a tennis racket, could do something remarkable this December; he could win the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award.

Murray’s story is a reminder that the British tennis scene isn’t the delicate place that some imagine it to be. There was the bitching from other British players as Murray made his way in the sport. Then there was dealing with the occasional character assassinations. A weaker, less cussed character than Murray could have ended up with great rips and tears in his psyche.
Of all the people who feature in Murray’s professional life, the one with arguably the most intriguing role is his manager Simon Fuller. Why did Murray, who has no love for celebrity froth, hire the former manager of the Spice Girls, the creator of Pop Idol and American Idol and the man who spawned Simon Cowell? That’s a question I have tried to answer in the book.

Is Murray the messiest grand slam champion of modern times? I first met Murray when he was 17 and training at an academy outside Barcelona. He showed me around the hut/bungalow/cottage that was his home in Catalonia; there was so much mess on the floor – dirty clothes, rackets, balls and food packets – that opening and closing the door was no easy task.
This story could need several updates. Murray should never be described as a one-slam wonder. He plainly won’t be if he wins another major. But, even if he doesn’t, even if he never adds to his victory in New York City, he should never be thought of as the tennis equivalent of the one-hit wonder. Such a description suggests an element of luck, of extreme good fortune. In the golden age of men’s tennis, of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, no one ‘flukes’ a grand slam victory.

http://www.thetennisspace.com/five-things-about-the-biography-of-andy-murray/
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4257 on: November 28, 2012, 05:20 PM »

OK  then. 

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/andy-murray-maria-sharapova-favourites-for-australian-open/307699-5-22.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #4258 on: November 29, 2012, 03:45 PM »

Top 10 Andy Murray quotes

Here is a list of our favourite quotes from the man whose sense of humour is dryer than an un-watered South American Clay Court: http://www.thetennisspace.com/top-10-andy-murray-quotes/

My own personal favourites:
“I’m very, very happy on the inside. I’m sorry if I’m not showing it how you want me to.”  clap
"I'm trying my tits off." 
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4259 on: November 29, 2012, 05:38 PM »

Brilliant.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 283 [284] 285 286 287 ... 713 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »