Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 ... 713 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 416017 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4290 on: December 04, 2012, 01:10 PM »

Thanks Dani - interesting interview.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #4291 on: December 04, 2012, 02:10 PM »

Thanks for the article, Dani.
Interesting this interview took place on Oct 24th, in-between his withdrawal from Basel and his opening win against Mathieu in Paris, and the subsequent match which shall not be spoken of.
Looks like shortening points is an area he & Lendl are working on, so will be interesting to see this come to fruition.

Yeah, when you're in the middle of rallies of that length, you kind of zone out a bit. ... Every time we play each other, the rallies seem to go on forever.

"If you're going to lose, go down swinging. Don't go with your ass against the back fence, chasing down every ball."

Most of the stuff I want to work on is ways of shortening points...It's getting so physical -- if you're playing longer points, it's going to have an effect on the length of your career.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #4292 on: December 04, 2012, 02:11 PM »

Unbelievable.  Just voted too and we've managed to push him up to 8%. Rubbish.  But let's keep voting on the principle of vote early, vote often for our Andy.

I just voted 14 times Very Happy
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4293 on: December 04, 2012, 05:41 PM »

One of the things that has struck me about the things Lendl has said is that he seems keen for Andy to not be the one doing all the running in matches, because over time that isn't good for the body and can shorten a career. I think that is partly why Andy plays more aggressively now, because he seems to realise that this is going to be better for him in the long run.
Doesn't seem to have done Ferrer any harm!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4294 on: December 04, 2012, 08:50 PM »

Doesn't seem to have done Ferrer any harm!

........... but Ferrer doesn't seem as prone to injury as some.  Shortening the points must help in the long run!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4295 on: December 05, 2012, 02:08 PM »

I agree Andy himself has said he wants to stop having long drawn out points. He wants only short rallies if possible so he does not have to run too much and use to much energy.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #4296 on: December 05, 2012, 02:35 PM »

Andy Murray’s US Open Final shirt auctions for $13,500

World number three, Andy Murray, became the first British player in 76 years to win a Grand Slam trophy at the US Open in New York, earlier this year.

He outfoxed the reigning world number one, Novak Djokovic, in the final of the tournament but not before both athletes entertained the spectators with five epic sets of play. It was a landmark in the history of Great Britain and that created a hullabaloo in the tennis world.

The tennis shirt that was worn by the 25-year-old Briton in the final of the US Open was sold in a charity auction for a record price of $13,500 in United Kingdom. It was a fantastic year for the Scot who reached the final of the Wimbledon Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis Club in London; continued to play well and was finally rewarded with a Gold Medal at the London Olympics in August. He carried the momentum into the year’s fourth Grand Slam Championship and clinched his maiden Major trophy.

Murray wore the Adidas shirt in his stupendous victory over Djokovic. The valuation of the shirt was around £8,000 but it was sold for £8,500 that translates into ($13,687) which is almost 6.3% higher than the estimated price of sale. The Briton has definitely found a way out to overpower his superior ranked players this year and more importantly broke the duck in the Grand Slam titles category. The new found popularity allowed the charity foundation to raise some extra bucks. It also wiped off the grieves of the emotional loss in the Wimbledon’s final at the hands of the 31-year-old Swiss Maestro, Roger Federer, who claimed his seventh Wimbledon trophy and 17th Grand Slam title of the career.

The shirt was duly signed by the reigning US Open Champion which enhanced its desirability amongst the bidders. A representative from the higher authorities of Kerry Taylor Auctions stated that the charity organisation was absolutely mesmerised by the results and wanted more players from different sporting fields to chip in with their memorable yearly testimonials.

It is a good gesture for the sake of the betterment of people living below the poverty line and everyone has the responsibility of helping them survive in this era of hyper-inflation.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4297 on: December 06, 2012, 06:54 PM »

dani that was a fascinating and very honest interview that you posted on 3 Dec.  Seems to me one of the most open interviews I've read with Andy, And I'm very cheered that he wants to work on coming forward more as I've always felt he should use his hand skills at the net more.  It's all so exciting isn't it when you think how his game might evolve further.  
And how good to read that Andy's USO shirt raised so much money for charity.

Oh and a thought about the shortening of points and having to run too much.  I was struck by how much Nole has run against Andy compared with against other opponents.  I just recently watched the first set of their WTF match and it said that during 2012 Nole had run twice as far against Andy as against other opponents.   A very telling statistic I thought.
[ Last edit by Ruthie December 06, 2012, 07:05 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: News Articles « Reply #4298 on: December 06, 2012, 07:32 PM »

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murrays-hush-hush-trip-to-wimbledons-1474997
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4299 on: December 07, 2012, 12:23 PM »

Oh and a thought about the shortening of points and having to run too much.  I was struck by how much Nole has run against Andy compared with against other opponents.  I just recently watched the first set of their WTF match and it said that during 2012 Nole had run twice as far against Andy as against other opponents.   A very telling statistic I thought.

I agree with that. It's remarkable isn't it? It surprised me, that particular stat, but then again look at the USO final. in those first two sets Andy had Djokovic running all over the court, and also in the fifth set. It's no wonder his legs went on him at the end, he must have covered a lot of ground.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #4300 on: December 07, 2012, 12:57 PM »

I think Nole has been trying to change that in his recent matches against Andy - he's been coming to the net a lot more frequently. Against other opponents he tends to stay back as he knows his baseline game is usually enough to beat them, but against Andy to realises he has to do something different.

Andy too hopefully will start to come to the net more frequently in the new season. It definitely sounds like it's what he wants to do.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4301 on: December 07, 2012, 02:17 PM »

I think Nole has been trying to change that in his recent matches against Andy - he's been coming to the net a lot more frequently. Against other opponents he tends to stay back as he knows his baseline game is usually enough to beat them, but against Andy to realises he has to do something different.

Andy too hopefully will start to come to the net more frequently in the new season. It definitely sounds like it's what he wants to do.
Yes interesting isn't it how they're both having to evolve their games against the other - the perfect rivalry.  Like you I was very heartened to read that Andy wants to work on coming forward more.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4302 on: December 07, 2012, 02:36 PM »

Article also from today's Daily Record:

'Andy Murray thinks swearing on the tour is not fair. Andy has vowed to stop swearing on the tennis court.

'But he says foreign players are getting away with worse during matches, because umpires can't understand them when they swear.

'The US Open champion said: " Obviously, me saying s*** or whatever is bad and wrong, and it's something I want to try to stop doing.

"But it isn't as bad as some of the stuff the foreign players come out with.

"I wouldn't want to name any names but some of what they say is ghastly.

"It's just that all the umpires speak English."

'World No3 Murray plans to end the outbursts when he plays in the AO next month.

'He was given an official warning for bad language at the Rome Masters this year.

'He was also rapped at the Paris Masters last year for saying "b******s".
[ Last edit by OldScotSupport December 07, 2012, 04:10 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4303 on: December 07, 2012, 03:11 PM »

Hi All,

I don't condone the language Andy has used at times, but I don't condemn it either. The way I look at it is that it is competitive sport. It's stressful at times, and in the heat of the moment things can be said - I should know, and I only watch Whistle.

Andy is no worse than a lot of the players. The difference is that Andy swears in English, so he's there to be shot at by an umpire. An aquaintaince of mine suggested he should learn some Gaelic swear words. That would make things interesting lol.

Personally I'd rather have the honesty of Andy's language over the way Federer speaks to umpires. Federer is rarely pulled up on how rude he can be.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: News Articles « Reply #4304 on: December 07, 2012, 03:33 PM »

Nice pic!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/12/Features/Murray-Receives-Two-Awards.aspx

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/11/Features/Rivalries-Federer-Murray.aspx
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 286 [287] 288 289 290 ... 713 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »