Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Today, 12:00 Midnight BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 288 [289] 290 291 292 ... 722 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 429270 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4320 on: December 09, 2012, 01:05 PM »

'We seemed to be winning medals all over the place and it made me desperate to be part of that': Andy Murray on the amazing year for British sport

The Olympic gold medal winner and first British Grand Slam champion since 1936 on the athletes who inspired him

It’s been a truly amazing year for British sport.

The Olympics and Paralympics in London were obviously huge and very successful, but we also had a Tour de France winner, and who can forget the Ryder Cup?

There have been plenty of great stories this year and it’s been an honour being a small part of that.

Super Saturday during the Olympics, when Mo, Jess Ennis and Greg Rutherford all got gold in the space of about an hour, was so inspiring.

Before I went on court at Wimbledon during the Olympics I used to watch as much of the action as I could.

We seemed to be winning medals all over the place and it made me desperate to be part of that, to help contribute to the Team GB medal table.

In terms of personal highlights, those were obviously the Olympic medals and the U.S. Open win.

For me, it’s now all about building on that, and I’m working even harder to keep on improving and being the best I can be.

And I almost forgot – at least nobody can ask me any more about the 76-year wait for a British male Grand Slam champion!

Who will win Sports Personality of the Year?

It’s tough to say as there are so many different things that go into each sport. Take someone like Rory McIlroy, for example. He’s had an incredible year in which he won a major and was part of the brilliant Ryder Cup team. I’m hoping the evening will be a celebration of the year as a whole and what we, as a nation, have achieved. I guess that’s what they call sitting on the fence!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2244715/Andy-Murray-We-winning-medals-place-desperate-that.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4321 on: December 09, 2012, 03:31 PM »

I think what Mac said is generally positive. It's a far cry from the times, not even so long ago, when he was amongst those who questioned whether Andy had the mental strength to win majors. Now he's saying next year could be big for Andy. That's good!

As for Andy being positive, well, Mac sort of speaks from experience lol. He was never the life and soul of the party on the court, and if today at the RAH was anything to go by he still isn't, so I suppose you could call him a steaming great hypocrite lol. That said, I think he gets that what Andy felt after the final at the USO was relief at crossing the line at last. I'd add that Andy seemed unable to quite grasp that he had actually done it at last, and I bet it took a while to sink in. I know even some on here took a while to deal with it, so imagine what Andy felt lol. Going back to Andy though, he looked knackered when it was done too. I bet he was too shattered for much in the way of getting excited. He didn't need to worry though, I'm sure plenty of us did enough jumping up and down for him lol.

I think next time, and I'm convinced there will be a next time, a few of them in fact, Andy will probably react differently. It's bound to feel different too, I would have thought.

I agree with the point about journalists putting their own spin on things too. They always have. The headlines are written by sub-editors, who have their agenda, and then the journalist will their own position to get across. I mean, the press have always gone on about Andy being miserable, so they've gone with that to make their point. Mac probably didn't mean to make a thing out of it, and even if he did I doubt Andy would be remotely bothered.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4322 on: December 09, 2012, 04:47 PM »

What annoys me about what Mac said is when he said he hopes he looks more excited next time he wins a slam.  I thought Andy's was a very honest reaction when he just tried to take it in in a very private sort of way and then I think he was too stunned to show much emotion - and also relieved as Mac acknowledged. But I'm finding the histrionics of some of the others getting a tad boring. It's so predictable now to throw yourself on to the court.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4323 on: December 09, 2012, 04:58 PM »

I just think Andy just could not believe he had won and seemed overwhelmed. He smiled when he was being presented with the cup. After all he had just played 5 long sets of tennis who would not be exhausted both mentally and physically he seemed to be in a bit of a haze. He showed a lot of emotion when he won his gold medal at wimbledon. I think that was because he had beaten Federer because of his lost to him previously. He showed his family and friends what it meant to him and in the manner that he beat Federer.I think he took real pleasure in that win. By the way Judy will be on STV tonight to accept an award for Andy at 9.40pm
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4324 on: December 09, 2012, 05:44 PM »

I thought that his hoping for him to enjoy it more next time, he was genuinely wishing he'd be able to simply enjoy the moment - not just be relieved, or stunned etc.  He was talking partly about how people like to see sports stars being joyous (which is true), but also from the point of view of having been there, done that - perhaps something he'd have liked for himself.

I'm reminded of pop stars who often talk about how the early years went by in a blur, and they wished they'd taken more time to enjoy what was happening, and all of their experiences.  It's more advice, or a recommendation than a criticism.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4325 on: December 09, 2012, 08:46 PM »

The ESPN piece was nice. This quote was insightful:

ASSAEL: You're coming up on your anniversary with Ivan Lendl as your coach, and he's been getting a lot of credit for opening up your forehand and getting you to meet the ball earlier. Is that his influence?
MURRAY: I've always worked on those things. But it's one thing to work on them in practice and another to actually want to go for it and take that chance when it comes to break point in the fifth set of a slam. That's more of a mindset thing that Ivan has spoken to me about before a lot of the big matches this year: "If you're going to lose, go down swinging. Don't go with your ass against the back fence, chasing down every ball." Getting me to make that happen in a match is what I credit him with.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4326 on: December 10, 2012, 06:49 AM »

Wise words clap
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4327 on: December 10, 2012, 10:57 AM »

Top 10 moments at Wimbledon this year:

An eleven-year-old boy emerges from the Centre Court crowd to hug Andy Murray after the Briton wins Olympic gold in the singles competition by beating Roger Federer.

“As soon as Andy Murray won I was crying with joy,” Henry Caplan said. “I was hugging my dad and the next moment I was gone. I had to go. I was down near the Royal Box area in front of Roger Federer’s family and then I hugged Andy Murray. I just thought I had to be there.” Henry’s father said: “My son was so overwhelmed with emotion. I was hugging him when he said ‘let me go’, and I didn’t know what was going on. Then the lady next to me said, ‘your son is on television’ and I looked up and there he was. He should not have left my side, of course. But I’m so proud of him.”

Andy Murray’s tears after finishing as the runner-up to Roger Federer at the Wimbledon Championships.

There aren’t that many beaten grand slam finalists who would wipe their tears on their sleeve and then head to the filming of a comedy panel show. Somewhere where they are likely to be “picked on”. There are few more appealing character traits than the ability to laugh at yourself, and so all those changed their mind about Andy Murray, after he wept on Centre Court, probably liked him even more after he dared to accept an invitation to sit in the audience for BBC’s Mock the Week.

Andy Murray and Laura Robson won a silver medal in the mixed doubles tournament at the Olympics.

“I just want to thank Andy for playing with me. It’s been one of the best weeks of my life. I was just happy to be in the final,” said Robson, after defeat to Victoria Azarenka and Max Mirnyi of Belarus.

http://www.thetennisspace.com/top-10-moments-at-wimbledon-this-year/
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #4328 on: December 10, 2012, 11:22 AM »

I loved it when Henry Caplan hugged Andy - it was such a sweet moment. He was so determined to get to Andy, with people from Federer's box helping him through! I'm sure it's a moment that he'll remember forever. Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4329 on: December 10, 2012, 11:22 AM »

Not an article, but did anyone hear what Tim Henman said at the RAH yesterday when asked to predict next year on the main tour?

Tim had just lost to Santoro and was being interviewed by Crofty. She asked him to predict 2013, what might happen, who might do well, that sort of thing. Tim said there was a question mark over Nadal, and that you have to wonder how long Federer might go on for (I bet Smugfed would have liked that Whistle) as he's 31. Tim said he thought that Andy is in a good position for 2013 and he feels that Andy can be better than Djokovic.

I like the way Tim thinks, and it's also nice to see people picking up on the progress Andy has made and looking to the future a bit.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #4330 on: December 10, 2012, 11:29 AM »

Not an article, but did anyone hear what Tim Henman said at the RAH yesterday when asked to predict next year on the main tour?

Tim had just lost to Santoro and was being interviewed by Crofty. She asked him to predict 2013, what might happen, who might do well, that sort of thing. Tim said there was a question mark over Nadal, and that you have to wonder how long Federer might go on for (I bet Smugfed would have liked that Whistle) as he's 31. Tim said he thought that Andy is in a good position for 2013 and he feels that Andy can be better than Djokovic.

I like the way Tim thinks, and it's also nice to see people picking up on the progress Andy has made and looking to the future a bit.

Yes I heard that too teejay - very nice and supportive words from Tim. He's always been like that with Andy - none of the jealousy that sometimes seems to come from some of the other British ex-players - probably because he was very successful himself.

IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4331 on: December 10, 2012, 07:14 PM »

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but check it out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/20514276
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4332 on: December 10, 2012, 09:58 PM »

"[Andy's] done 2 weeks phys training. Today 1st tennis sessions since 02."   Judy
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4333 on: December 10, 2012, 10:49 PM »

Heroes of 2012: Andy Murray

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/armchair-pundit/heroes-2012-andy-murray-122129856.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4334 on: December 10, 2012, 11:11 PM »

The ESPN piece was nice. This quote was insightful:

ASSAEL: You're coming up on your anniversary with Ivan Lendl as your coach, and he's been getting a lot of credit for opening up your forehand and getting you to meet the ball earlier. Is that his influence?
MURRAY: I've always worked on those things. But it's one thing to work on them in practice and another to actually want to go for it and take that chance when it comes to break point in the fifth set of a slam. That's more of a mindset thing that Ivan has spoken to me about before a lot of the big matches this year: "If you're going to lose, go down swinging. Don't go with your ass against the back fence, chasing down every ball." Getting me to make that happen in a match is what I credit him with.
Never were truer words spoken.  clap

I just love the bit about Federer! Very Happy

Encouarging words from Tim though.  Yes, he was a very successful player in his own right but he never did make that final leap and win a Slam, especially Wimbledon, and only had 11 career titles to his name, but if he feels in any way envious of what Andy's achieved, then he's never shown it but has always been supportive of him.  Others, who shall remain nameless because we all know who they are, should take heed.

"[Andy's] done 2 weeks phys training. Today 1st tennis sessions since 02."   Judy
I bet he's glad that the rigorous physical training is over, and Andy did say 'it won't be pretty', although I think he was also referring to his sessions with Lendl as well. Whistle
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 288 [289] 290 291 292 ... 722 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »