Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 289 [290] 291 292 293 ... 754 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 462773 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4335 on: December 10, 2012, 11:29 PM »

I think Tim knows better than those who went before him how much tougher the tour is now than back then.  He's also known Andy from the beginning, and so I get the sense that he's slightly protective of him, not least because he remembers the struggles he had with idiot press and opinionated commentators at times himself.

I did have to chuckle a little at one report where Tim said that Andy had as much chance as anyone else at the Australian Open.  Anyone else?  As much of a chance as me?  As much as a chance of the other 127 entrants? Very Happy

I think he was trying to say he had a good chance, a very realistic chance of winning, but please don't get carried away and assume it's in the bag as there are other great players etc.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4336 on: December 11, 2012, 12:03 AM »

Great article.   Thanks Elena for posting.    It has been a long time coming but at last Andy is getting support and recognition of his achievements from different quarters.    Even a lot of the comments are supportive which is unusual.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4337 on: December 11, 2012, 12:47 AM »

I think Tim knows better than those who went before him how much tougher the tour is now than back then.  He's also known Andy from the beginning, and so I get the sense that he's slightly protective of him, not least because he remembers the struggles he had with idiot press and opinionated commentators at times himself.

I did have to chuckle a little at one report where Tim said that Andy had as much chance as anyone else at the Australian Open.  Anyone else?  As much of a chance as me?  As much as a chance of the other 127 entrants? Very Happy

I think he was trying to say he had a good chance, a very realistic chance of winning, but please don't get carried away and assume it's in the bag as there are other great players etc.
I agree entirely, particularly with the first para.  Also Tim is absolutely right to be cautious about what he says.  That struck me when I read "Tim said he thought that Andy is in a good position for 2013 and he feels that Andy can be better than Djokovic."

Great article, Elena.  Thanks. Smile

I'm very glad that Alex Chick is also of the opinion that Andy deserves to be SPOTY more than Wiggins because the Tour de France is a team effort which Wiggins just happened to put the final touch to.  Andy was out there on court for nearly five hours tuned into no-one but himself.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4338 on: December 11, 2012, 02:46 AM »

Andy's New Year resolution -

"US Open champion Andy Murray is cleaning up his act after promising to stop swearing while on court."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/us-open-champion-andy-murray-promises-to-stop-swearing-while-on-court/story-e6frf4mu-1226532632070#.UMacGIN96Hg
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4339 on: December 11, 2012, 08:29 AM »

That story is going to run and run, isn't it? Very Happy  I like the Yahoo version. cheers
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/tennis-busted-racquet/andy-murray-plans-stop-swearing-censored-ing-much-144214699--ten.html

Meanwhile, Andy was amongst the most searched sports stars on google in 2012.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/dec/11/google-hits-uk-2012
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4340 on: December 11, 2012, 08:52 AM »

Well done Alex Chick - an excellent article!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4341 on: December 11, 2012, 09:35 AM »

@ Sparkle, probably meant "as much chance" as other top 4.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4342 on: December 11, 2012, 10:55 AM »

Yes I heard that too teejay - very nice and supportive words from Tim. He's always been like that with Andy - none of the jealousy that sometimes seems to come from some of the other British ex-players - probably because he was very successful himself.

I think the thing with Tim, a bit like Mark Petchey in a way, is that he knows he reached the level in the sport that he was capable of reaching, so it kind of knocks the jealousy thing on the head somewhat, although I do think in Tim's case if a bit of luck had gone with his talent he migh have just grabbed Wimbledon in 2001, assuming he'd held it together in that rain interrupted semi and then got through Rafter. Just on a side-note to that, I reckon Pat Rafter is better looking now than he was then. He's aged rather well lol.

It seems to me that those who are jealous of Andy are the ones who have faulty memories, imagining themselves to have been better than they were. I won't mention names, we know who they are.

I think both Tim and Petch have been quite measured in what they've said about Andy, especially recently. I'm sure it's right that neither of them would want to be part of adding pressure and expectation, but it must be great to see Andy fulfilling the potential they've both often spoken of, whilst also looking to the future to what might be ahead.

Now if we could just persuade Tim that practising with Federer is just not on......... Whistle.

IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4343 on: December 11, 2012, 02:53 PM »

Hope he does win!

http://blogs.bettor.com/Novak-Djokovic-backs-Andy-Murray-for-Britains-Sports-Personality-of-the-Year-award-Tennis-News-a207464

As for stopping swearing, well, it's fine if that's a goal, but I think Andy gets too much flack for that and other players do it too in other languages. If he is doing it for himself, fine. But otherwise, I think he was just fine the way he had been thus far. Just my opinion.
[ Last edit by janetx December 11, 2012, 02:57 PM ] IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4344 on: December 11, 2012, 04:38 PM »

I also think Andy was fine the way he was, whatever he does is fine with me, if that is what he really wants, and not to please certain kind of people. Love and support Andy whatever!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4345 on: December 11, 2012, 07:10 PM »

@ Sparkle, probably meant "as much chance" as other top 4.
That's what I assumed, but it still made me chuckle. Very Happy

It's telling in itself that Tim didn't feel the need to qualify who was included in the list of who had an equally good chance.  Everyone has pretty much assumed it'll be one of those four for the forseeable future, and anyone/everyone else can only hope for an outside chance.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4346 on: December 11, 2012, 09:59 PM »

Guys,this isn't a news piece,but it is Andy news-I was just reading Andy's twitter conversation there,and it turns out it is as we thought might end up happening - the USO trophy arrived in the UK a few days ago,but of course because Andy and co are in Miami,he hasn't seen it yet!

How frustrating must that be!And how ironic that after waiting all that time for it to get from the states to the UK,he himself was back in the US by the time it got there.

He also said that it was really hard to pick one over the other,but based purely on satisfaction,winning Olympic Gold in front of a home crowd was more satisfactory than winning the USO.
[ Last edit by xxdanixx December 11, 2012, 10:02 PM ] IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4347 on: December 12, 2012, 12:06 AM »

Murray talks football with fans on twitter.

http://www.fifa.com/ballondor/news/newsid=1969744/index.html?cid=twitter_fifacom

There’s little doubt that tennis world No3 Andy Murray will remember 2012 fondly. Not only did he win his first Grand Slam title, but he also claimed a gold medal at the his home Olympics in London.

The Scottish star is also a keen football fan, so FIFA.com thought it was the perfect time to let the 25-year-old take over our official Twitter feed, @FIFAcom, and let his fans ask the questions.

Thousands came through with the hashtag #AskAndy and Murray was keen to answer as many as he could. His replies covered numerous facets of the beautiful game during the 75 minute session, from the FIFA Ballon d’Or and favourite footballing memories to his own dreams of the playing the game professionally.

FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter was kind enough to get the ball rolling. Murray’s grandfather was a professional player during the 1950s, and the head of world football's governing body was keen to know whether he had to make a choice between the two sports. “I had to make a decision between football and tennis. Tennis won. I think I made the right decision,“ quipped Murray.

During his Twitter chat he accepted an invitation from Hibs to go see another of their games – against fierce rivals Hearts. He even plans to go see *England play at Wembley too, after Three Lions legend and FIFA World Cup™ winner Sir Geoff Hurst invited him as his personal guest.
-------------------------------------

*Hmm that should get the media talking.
[ Last edit by IonaRed December 12, 2012, 12:14 AM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4348 on: December 12, 2012, 11:01 PM »

Andy in Miami:

Full article st http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murray-misses-sports-personality-of-the-year-awards-for-pain-and-suffering-in-miami-8411840.html

Murray often invites other British players to work with him. Jamie Baker, a fellow Scot, and last year’s US Open junior champion, Oliver Golding, and his coach, Julien Hoferlin, have joined Murray on this year’s trip, to the delight of Leon Smith, the head of men’s and women’s tennis at the Lawn Tennis Association.

“How good is that for those guys?” Smith said. “It spreads the word. Jamie will come back to the National Tennis Centre and tell everyone what he was doing with Andy, telling them how Andy gets up at 6am and runs miles and miles on South Beach, how he’s doing bikram yoga, doing weights, playing three hours a day. That raises everything. Golding’s coach will see what’s going on and bring that back too. It’s about changing our culture. Andy has shown how much work is needed to get there. I’m really grateful to Andy offering such an opportunity to those players.”
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4349 on: December 12, 2012, 11:18 PM »

Bit on British tennis, this year and next in a piece by Andrew Castle in the Metro, with a lot of it talking about Andy.

http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/12/andrew-castle-2012-has-been-a-remarkable-year-of-tennis-that-cannot-be-forgotten-3314251/

He also talked about Oli training with Andy, and how tired he'll be by Christmas! Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 289 [290] 291 292 293 ... 754 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »