Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 293 [294] 295 296 297 ... 640 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Articles  (Read 357081 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4395 on: December 16, 2012, 03:06 AM »

"U.S. tennis champion Andy Murray"

Neutral
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4396 on: December 16, 2012, 12:55 PM »

I want to know more about the Dunblane thing and Andy. All we've had from him about it is two sentences - he retains patch impressions about the day and his mum gave Hamilton lifts in her car. But Jaeger said he seemed haunted. There's more than he's letting on.
The grammar is vague (and it's the Mail), so it's not clear if she really meant to say it was Andy, or just boys who had hidden, like and possibly including, Andy.

I do, however, agree that an event like that must have a massive impact.    Whether or not you believe that Andy remembers little of the day itself, or suspect it's a good way to fend off unwelcome questions, it changed the whole community.  Even if Andy had missed school altogether that day, so definitely didn't see or hear anything, or if the whole family had been on holiday for a fortnight, missing the the funerals and initial media intrusion, he still would have had to go back to a school where children and a teacher were murdered.  Half of the primary one class were missing, several of his class-mates and friends had brothers or sisters who had died.   No matter how hard the adults tried to protect the children from the horrors, the community was grieving.  The sad thing is that the children won't have known any better, so maybe don't realise just how fun and carefree those pre-teen years are supposed to be.

I know that some parts of the media behaved pretty badly, from doorstepping bereaved families, to generally trying to get anyone in the community to reveal some juicy tit-bit.  I'm sure that must contribute to Andy's early mis-trust of the media, and his refusal to give them what they wanted will have added to their annoyance at him. 

IMO, events like that force people to concentrate on what is really important.  I'm sure it's one of the reasons Andy genuinely doesn't want to change who he is, or do daft stunts because some man with a camera tells you it's a good idea.   He knows people think he doesn't smile enough, or that he's not animated enough during interviews, but he also knows that those things aren't important.

In terms of speaking to the media about what happened.  I suspect Andy considers himself one of the lucky ones.   He survived, and so did his brother.  Yes, he knew people who had died, but he knew families who had lost children, and that's worse.  He may have felt that saying more than the minimum about the event would be a betrayal, or come across as self-indulgent etc.   In the year's that have passed, and now he's been able to give the community something positive to talk about, and more recently, the very tangible golden post box etc, it's different.  It seems as if when he was home, several people told him how grateful they were that his success gave them something to be proud of.    Perhaps he feels as if he now has earned the right to talk about it - though still in very abstract terms.

I know, through friends, that many people from Dunblane, when travelling, used to avoid telling people where they were really from, simply to avoid the questions and comments, so it's not exclusive to Andy's situation.  In fact, I believe when Andy was younger he'd always list his home town as Stirling in tennis competitions for that very reason.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4397 on: December 16, 2012, 01:02 PM »

Guys,wasn't quite sure where to post this,but basically Judy has been blogging again-it's mostly about her time overseeing some of the girls' training in America,but she does write a bit about Andy,so I thought I'd stick that bit in here!

It’s been a busy old week for me in the US of A. Touched down in Miami last Sunday and spent a couple of days with Andy before joining up with the GB 14U girls squad who were in town preparing for the Orange Bowl.

Spent Monday watching Andy train and reminded me just how long and hard he works every day. It went something like this....

7.40am breakfast.

8.20am physio - stretch/massage/toes taped.

9am drive to Crandon Park (former home of USTA - now based at Evert Academy in Boca).

9.30am warm up.

10am-12.20 tennis with Oli Golding and Jamie Baker ( mostly 2 v 1 - with Andy always the 1) in 80 degree heat and yuk humidity.

12.20 cool down.

12.35 - drive back to apartment via Publix for a cooked chicken Smile  shower, lunch, half hour chill.

2pm drive to Crandon.

2.20pm warm up.

2.35pm tennis with Golding and the Fabulous Baker Boy. Mainly playing points but ended with some torture basket drills a la Ivan the Terrible which had Oli doubled up pretty darn quickly.

4pm RollerBall challenge. That's like bowling a tennis ball from one outside tramline to the other. Closest to the line - without going past it - wins. Mr Lendl a natural.

4.15pm drive back to apartment and straight into gym.

6pm shower, physio, ice bath (gross).

7.30pm out for dinner.

9.30 lights out....

Long day. Almost a full 12 hours. I was knackered. And I was just observing Smile

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/Tennis-blogs/Judy-Murray/Judy-Murray-in-America/
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #4398 on: December 16, 2012, 01:21 PM »

Even allowing for the fact this has all "come to light" via the odious Daily Mail, this is certainly very interesting and I'm surprised we haven't had an inkling of it sooner.  I'd love to have Andy's take on the day Andrea came to town with her tennis therapy.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #4399 on: December 16, 2012, 01:29 PM »

I have the sam
Yeah, why would you want to dwell on it? But I just wonder if he's bottling a lot of stuff up. Part of me thinks, though, that Ivan Lendl would leave no stone unturned. With that in mind, I reckon he's had sessions with psychologists this year. The outward manifestation of that is the heavenly salutes we've seen since Wimbledon. I have no basis for this - it's just a hunch.
I share that hunch - when I first saw the salute I immediately thought he's doing that for all these murdered schoolmates, but I know that could be just my fancy, and that he'll probably never explain it. Strangely, I've noticed other players doing the same since. I'm sure Djokovic made the gesture at WTF, but I wasn't smart enough to note the exact occurrence. Perhaps someone will put me right.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4400 on: December 16, 2012, 04:16 PM »

I didn't know that about Jaeger either.  Lovely message from Andy on facebook.  And it does strike me that while it will be stirring up a lot of memories in Dunblane they can at least think of how it's now in the news for what Andy has achieved and let's hope that Andy does well tonight for Dunblane as well as himself.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4401 on: December 16, 2012, 04:32 PM »

Sports Personality's dynamic dozen: the champions up close and personal

Friends, relatives and team-mates of the 12 shortlisted athletes explain why they should win Sports Personality of the Year.

Andy Murray, by Jez Green, trainer and conditioner

All of them are winners – that's why they've been nominated. But I can only talk about what I've witnessed first-hand over many years. Andy is the most dedicated guy I know. He trains like nobody I've ever trained before and he is continually looking for that extra edge. He's definitely one of the finest athletes around. Having seen all the hard work that's gone in behind the scenes over the years, the ups and downs, it was amazing seeing him win gold at the Olympics, where he beat Roger Federer, and in New York, where he beat Novak Djokovic. So he defeated the alternating world No1 and No2 for the biggest wins of his career. But, knowing Andy like I do, he won't rest. He'll keep on pushing, hungry for more success – and he deserves every bit of it that comes his way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/dec/15/sports-personality-year-friends-relatives
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4402 on: December 16, 2012, 07:34 PM »

It's not a news piece,but seeing as he's written so many great pieces about Andy I thought I'd stick this in here-Kevin Mitchell just tweeted this :

"Would love @andy_murray to win tonight. Not many nicer people in sport, although didn't much care for him when dying on chin-up bar in Miami".

Love that man!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4403 on: December 16, 2012, 08:56 PM »

I do too dani.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4404 on: December 16, 2012, 09:10 PM »

I do too dani.

hug Nice to know another big Kev M fan (and Andy fan,too,obviously.Though that kinda goes without saying on here lol!) Very Happy
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4405 on: December 16, 2012, 09:56 PM »

Yes I love the way Kev writes about andy dani - with wit and real understanding of what makes him tick. Just what I would hope for from the Guardian   hug
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4406 on: December 16, 2012, 10:00 PM »

Yes I love the way Kev writes about andy dani - with wit and real understanding of what makes him tick. Just what I would hope for from the Guardian   hug

You're so right! Smile

He definitely understands him,and really gets him,better than any of the other journalists who write about him (in my opinion anyway!).And he seems to genuinely like him too,which is always going to endear somebody to me,haha!Plus he's a really good writer.A great combination which means his articles are always ones to look forward to! Very Happy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4407 on: December 16, 2012, 10:50 PM »

I think Kev M is brilliant. He's genuine, seems like a nice bloke and he clearly admires Andy. I like the way he seems to see through Roger Federer too.  Great bloke all round!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4408 on: December 16, 2012, 10:53 PM »

I think Kev M is brilliant. He's genuine, seems like a nice bloke and he clearly admires Andy. I like the way he seems to see through Roger Federer too.  Great bloke all round!

So true!
Welcome to the mini Kev M fan club Teejay!Or should that be the Kev M appreciation society?Lol!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4409 on: December 17, 2012, 07:06 AM »

Gr8 from Kev M clap Love him  wub
Though by accident... Whistle saw Mail journo also rooting for Andy yay
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 291 292 293 [294] 295 296 297 ... 640 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »