Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 304 [305] 306 307 308 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 508609 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4560 on: December 30, 2012, 02:17 AM »

I'm wondering what they will do about Andy picking up his honour. It will be hard for him to squeeze in a visit to the palace during the year, what with being away so much. Looking forward to seeing him in a suit though.
He'll wear a kilt, of that I'm sure (but could be proved wrong!).  Anyway there are several investitures held throughout the year, not only at Buckingham Palace but also at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, so surely he'll manage to fit one of them in - like during the grass court season?
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4561 on: December 30, 2012, 06:12 AM »

Would someone tell me what OBE stands for?
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4562 on: December 30, 2012, 06:13 AM »

I think Andy would look quite dashing in a kilt and a prince charlie.  drool
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #4563 on: December 30, 2012, 06:59 AM »

Would someone tell me what OBE stands for?

Order of the British Empire

Knight Grand Cross or Dame Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (GBE)

Knight Commander or Dame Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (KBE or DBE)

Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE)

Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE)

Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE)
IP Logged
u2jcc
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #4564 on: December 30, 2012, 08:27 AM »

Thank you for the information Zarfeen, I know what they stand for but the order of who is higher confused me before but with your post now I have an idea why some news articles use the word "only" when describing his OBE.

I learn a lot of things in here everyday! Thanks.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: News Articles « Reply #4565 on: December 30, 2012, 09:36 AM »

He'll wear a kilt, of that I'm sure (but could be proved wrong!).  Anyway there are several investitures held throughout the year, not only at Buckingham Palace but also at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, so surely he'll manage to fit one of them in - like during the grass court season?
I'm sure Andy will pick up the OBE himself. What a day that will be for the Murrays, his team and Dunblane! I dont know if he likes to wear the kilt or not, but did he wear one at Jamies wedding. 
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #4566 on: December 30, 2012, 09:52 AM »

Thank you for the information Zarfeen, I know what they stand for but the order of who is higher confused me before but with your post now I have an idea why some news articles use the word "only" when describing his OBE.

I learn a lot of things in here everyday! Thanks.

My pleasure u2jcc Smile
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4567 on: December 30, 2012, 11:02 AM »

Scots tennis star Andy Murray eyes hotel where brother got married

The US Open champ is said to be interested in the 14-bedroom Cromlix House Hotel in his home town of Dunblane, Perthshire.

The four-star mansion, set in 2000 acres, has been taken off the open market, where it had been for sale at offers over £1.8million.

It is understood the family who have owned the estate for 600 years want it to go to a local bidder.

Victoria Eden, whose husband is a director of the company who own the hotel, did not deny that Murray, 25, is one of three ­interested parties.

She added: “I think it will be decided before Christmas.”

The stone mansion, which was built in 1874, was the setting for the wedding of Andy’s brother Jamie and his Colombian girlfriend Alejandra Gutierrez in 2010.

It closed its doors ­suddenly in ­February.

It is understood that Andy wants to buy the hotel as a long-term investment.

A source said: “He has a great fondness for the area and it would suit him to put something back into the ­community.”

The player’s agents XIX Entertainment declined to comment.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-tennis-star-andy-murray-1442355

Was wondering when we would hear more about this and whether Andy was sorting anything out when he was up in Dunblane just before Christmas.
Sounds interesting - but a pretty big commitment: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/367695
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #4568 on: December 30, 2012, 12:26 PM »

Was wondering when we would hear more about this and whether Andy was sorting anything out when he was up in Dunblane just before Christmas.
Sounds interesting - but a pretty big commitment: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/367695
   Wonder if sport features in his plans, if this is genuine. You can get a lot of tennis courts on 2000 acres! -  you could also get several golf courses.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4569 on: December 30, 2012, 01:08 PM »

Loved the kev tweet dani.
This isn't exactly news either but Independent weekend mag had an A-Z yesterday of what's in store for 2013. A is for Andy Murray.  I can't find it on line but it's a nice little piece by someone called Charlie Cooper.  Includes the line'The scale of Andy Murray's achievement is not to be underestimated.....To carry the burden of competing against all three [you know who] - and still to win Olympic gold and the USO - brings Murray close to the pantheon of all-time greats'.  clap
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4570 on: December 30, 2012, 02:15 PM »

Big article in today's Observer - about Laura Robson, but giving quite a lot of credit to Andy and his team for her success this year

Laura Robson aims at top-10 ranking thanks to Andy Murray factor

...Key to her progress, say those who know her best, has been her relationship with Murray – learning from his experience, borrowing from his key personnel and above all drawing inspiration from his momentous success.

Full article at http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/dec/29/laura-robson-andy-murray

Laura won her 1st round match 6-2 6-1 against Edina Gallovits-Hall ROU WR 108 in China today
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4571 on: December 30, 2012, 03:38 PM »

Was just about to post so thanks for doing so Elena.  It's good to see Laura crediting Andy with being such an important influence on her success last year.  I wish they'd play Hopman Cup together again - that was good fun to watch.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4572 on: December 31, 2012, 04:05 AM »

I hope it's true and not just another 'an (unnamed) source said' story, and that he keeps it going as a hotel.  I mean why on earth would he want it as luxury mansion when he retires, given that it has 14 bedrooms including eight suites, three dining rooms for up to 112 covers, as well as conference rooms and a manager's flat?  Are he and Kim planning to have a tribe of kids?

Seriously though if he keeps it going as a hotel it should, for a number of reasons, be a good investment, although we don't know why the previous owners suddenly closed it down.  That, to me, smacks of debt, big debt, perhaps because it was mainly used by the local people.   However there's no doubt that hotels, and pubs, which have been bought by assorted sporting and other personalities have usually enjoyed considerable success simply because of who they were bought by, so if Andy has indeed bought this, it would certainly help the local economy since it would have more national and international appeal (and this is where its close proximity to Gleneagles comes in), as well as being a good money-spinner for him - but it would definitely have to be luxurious and that would involve an initial costly expenditure.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4573 on: December 31, 2012, 04:32 AM »

I'm sure Andy will pick up the OBE himself. What a day that will be for the Murrays, his team and Dunblane! I dont know if he likes to wear the kilt or not, but did he wear one at Jamies wedding. 
Aye, Linda.. he did.  And he wore it well. yes

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4574 on: December 31, 2012, 08:00 AM »

That story about the hotel is virtually ALL speculation.  They must have some reason to think the sale has gone through, and Andy's trip home at the time when papers needed to be signed lends some weight to that, but it appears to be based on the local rumour mill.  This article from The Scotsman is a little more measured and admits they have no firm information.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/has-tennis-ace-andy-murray-netted-1-8m-14-bedroom-dunblane-hotel-1-2712616

In the heart of golf country, not just Gleneagles, I can see that being the sort of customer it would be appealing to, but I recall talk a while ago that the place needs quite a bit of investment.  I just hope that if Andy is the new owner, he finds someone else to make the big decisions.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 304 [305] 306 307 308 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »