Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 ... 640 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Articles  (Read 353100 times)
angiebabez
Top Seed

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #4650 on: January 08, 2013, 09:01 PM »

Yeah I read somewhere Judy saying something along the same lines, think they also have same sense of humour & have a right giggle with all the team. Wonder if they are looking for a chef!! Wouldn't mind joining them on tour :-)
IP Logged
u2jcc
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #4651 on: January 08, 2013, 09:09 PM »

Yeah I read somewhere Judy saying something along the same lines, think they also have same sense of humour & have a right giggle with all the team. Wonder if they are looking for a chef!! Wouldn't mind joining them on tour :-)

Me too! :-) You be the chef and I'll be your kitchen assistant...heck, I don't mind doing anything just to join them on tour.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #4652 on: January 08, 2013, 10:21 PM »

I don't know. I think he compares favourably to Hemingway.
Nah. There's nothing to his writing. All he's doing is sitting there bleeding.

Easy.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4653 on: January 09, 2013, 06:57 AM »

@ the Gnome
I love it when he "pounces" and as you say, he does it a lot. Almost like a cat observing its prey, so seemingly sleepy, silent and watchful and then  wowzer wub
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: News Articles « Reply #4654 on: January 09, 2013, 09:34 AM »

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/pumped-up-andy-murray-aims-to-muscle-in-on-grand-slam-rivals-1-2726029
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4655 on: January 09, 2013, 10:54 AM »

It is indeed. Gives you an idea also of how these two work together... their personalities just match, don't you think? Often misunderstood by most but they just get each other.

I think Andy and Lendl have clicked so well. They do seem similar in their personalities. One of the things I like is that they both seem to have a similar level of (very healthy) disdain for being asked daft questions.

I still firmly believe that whan Lendl has helped Andy find in himself is real belief. I think you can talk about forehands, all of that, forever, but I think Andy has at last started to get now how good he is and is getting increasingly comfortable with the fact. It looks good on him.
IP Logged
u2jcc
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #4656 on: January 09, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Totally agree with you, Teejay1!

Fingers crossed Andy's career will be similar to Lendls' as well; multiple grand slam - the only difference being with a Wimbledon title. And not just one I hope!
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4657 on: January 09, 2013, 11:33 PM »

Ross reveals his dreams for 2013 as he starts his treatment http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/ross-hutchins-wants-to-beat-cancer-1526492

Here's to a full recovery.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4658 on: January 10, 2013, 01:08 AM »

Ross Hutchins: Andy's been so supportive

Ross Hutchins, who has been diagnosed with cancer, tells Paul Newman about the 'brilliant' support he's had from best mate Murray and the wider tennis world

Ross Hutchins knows that when it comes to tennis he will never be in the same league as his closest friend, Andy Murray, but the 27-year-old Briton's status as one of the most popular figures in the game has been underlined by a huge wave of support since his disclosure that he has cancer.

Hutchins, who will begin six months of chemotherapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma this morning, revealed his diagnosis on Sunday, hours after Murray had dedicated his victory in the Brisbane International to someone he referred to only as "a sick friend". Hutchins revealed his cancer later that morning.

"After I announced it on Twitter, there must have been more than 1,000 messages," Hutchins said. "I read every single one, from people who are currently going through Hodgkin's lymphoma, people who are going through cancer, people who've had it and come through, strong people who are in remission, people offering advice. I also got support from a lot of players.

"I can't get my head around the fact that all these messages are for me and that I'm the one who has this problem. I'm struggling to believe it. I'm very touched. I am overwhelmed."

Hutchins, who was talking by telephone from London as many of his closest friends prepare for the start of the Australian Open here next week, said that nobody had been more supportive than Murray. They have been close since they met while playing under-12s tennis. Outside of his family, Murray was the first person Hutchins told of his diagnosis, which he was given two days after Christmas.

"I said to Andy: 'I don't know whether to tell you. I don't want to ruin your preparation. I know you've been working hard, but as my best friend, I want you to know something before it gets out because I kind of want you with me on this one.' He's been brilliant. He's sent a gift and is asking every day how I'm feeling. He wants to know every single detail, however bad or good it is, when I get tough news about whether it's spread or not, or when I get good news.

"It makes me feel good he actually won Brisbane because I think it was very upsetting for him to hear my news, as it was for everyone. Not that it would affect him because he's such a professional and is able to switch off and get back into tennis mode. I had no doubt he would. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it to people I didn't think could handle it. He's been absolutely unbelievable and so supportive with me the whole way."

Hutchins had no idea that Murray was going to dedicate his Brisbane win to him, but knew instantly that the Scot was referring to him when he appeared to write "For you Perched" on the camera lens after his win. "It was a personal name he calls me and no one else in the world calls me," Hutchins said. "It's been a running joke for years."

In Murray's presentation speech, which Hutchins was watching back home, the world No 3 sent his friend a message: "You're going to be OK. You're going to get through."

Hutchins said: "It did bring a tear to my eye. I was very moved by it. I was quite emotional when he said that. I didn't expect it at all, but he's been so supportive, wanting to know about everything, all the details. He's researched everything so well. He's probably researched it more than my doctor.

"He researches things so thoroughly – fantasy football, rankings, the history of tennis, now this – that he knows so much about them. He's been sending me links about guys who have gone through this and come out on top. He's just a guy who wants to know all the details about everything," Hutchins added.

The second friend he informed was Colin Fleming, his doubles partner both on the tour and in Britain's Davis Cup team. "He's been very supportive too," Hutchins said. "He's spoken to me every day since. He said to me: 'When you come back, I'll be there. This partnership will continue. We'll take on the world. We're going to win Slams together. We'll do this when you come back. I'm not going to be going anywhere. I'll be waiting.' That meant a lot to me."

If Hutchins is given the all-clear after six months of chemotherapy he is hoping to be back playing by the end of the year. The six months will be up during Wimbledon, when Hutchins would love nothing more than to see his friend lift the title.

"It would be absolutely incredible if Andy could win Wimbledon – and if it coincided with myself going into remission that would be even sweeter," he said. "I would love to be there to support him in every way in the final of Wimbledon. That would mean the world to me."

Doctors say the cancer could have been in Hutchins' body for up to 18 months. The first symptoms the world doubles No 28 can recall were back pains which he suffered in April and which went away in the summer but returned in the autumn. Hutchins had a series of tests in mid-December, at which stage the possibility of cancer was mentioned.

Hutchins said he and his family had "a tough 20 minutes" after learning the news on 27 December, but ever since then he has been thinking only positive thoughts. "The sooner I get this chemotherapy process going, the faster I can get this thing out of my body and the sooner I can get back on court," he said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/ross-hutchins-andys-been-so-supportive-8445099.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4659 on: January 10, 2013, 05:06 AM »

^ That really made me feel pretty choked, especially this bit -

"Outside my family, Andy was the first guy I told about my condition.  I told him, 'I don't know how to play this, but I want to let you know before it gets out because I want you with me on this one.' He has been absolutely unbelievable - he wants to know every detail - good or bad - about the treatment, and I know I can be very honest with him.

What a wonderful friend to have, and I hope and pray that Ross is able to realise at least the first part of his dream.

IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4660 on: January 10, 2013, 06:28 AM »

Choked me up too Aileen. BTW also shows Kevin Mitchell was quite wrong about the two fingers in the air gesture. Nothing to do with Ross.
Journalists Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #4661 on: January 10, 2013, 08:45 AM »

Me 2 eileen Frown
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4662 on: January 10, 2013, 10:27 AM »

Choked me up too Aileen. BTW also shows Kevin Mitchell was quite wrong about the two fingers in the air gesture. Nothing to do with Ross.
Journalists Rolling Eyes

I read it that KM thought the gesture last year was for someone else: "Last year Murray repeatedly raised his arms to the skies after matches in recognition of the private health problems of another unidentified friend."

But I think Ruthie is probably right and we should ignore it, and probably I shouldn't have posted it.

Thanks Matchpoint and Dani for the articles, which are pretty emotional reading for anybody I'd have thought, even if you don't know the people.

Sorry to hear that the cancer could have been there for a while, really good to hear the support Ross is getting (not that I'd expect anything different) and pleased to know that Ross appreciated Andy's dedication of his victory.

Good to hear from Colin as well, who hasn't been mentioned much. It must be tough for him out in Auckland, probably without much of a support team around him. He and Soares are through to the semi finals there. I suppose he'll go on to Melbourne afterwards and team up with someone.

I feel really priveleged having watched Andy practising with Ross at the O2 last year, and seeing at very close quarters how the whole team get on so well together. I don't do prayers but wish Ross all the very best for a full and speedy recovery.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4663 on: January 10, 2013, 10:57 AM »

I choked too over my breakfast reading the Independent article.  Makes me love Andy all the more that he's such a good friend.
Like Elena I read Kev's piece as saying the pointy thing was for another friend who is ill but I doubt v much Andy would tell Kev and noone else.  While I think he's a great writer he is sometimes abit careless with his facts.  w00t
And whoever it was who criticised Andy for dedicating his win to Ross (and I forget now who it was) I hope you might revise your opinion in light of what it meant to Ross himself.  Btw there's a long interview with Ross on R5live tonight at 7.30.  They played a clip in their breakfast show just as I was about to switch over.  He sounded very calm and positive.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #4664 on: January 10, 2013, 11:19 AM »

Andy's a true friend to Ross - very touching to read about how supportive he's been. It must be very comforting to Ross to know that he can count on so much support from his family and friends, as well as from the wider tennis community.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 ... 640 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »