Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 314 [315] 316 317 318 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 508306 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4710 on: January 12, 2013, 02:45 AM »

Kevin Bitchell (oops.. Mitchell) article: 

Australian Open 2013: Ivan Lendl revels in working with Andy Murray

As for the worth of Murray coming into the first major of the season as a slam champion, Lendl says: "I think it's overrated. It may be worth a point here or there with lesser players but I promise you it makes no difference with the top guys. That's what it was like for me. It helps you because of you – but not because of what they are going to do. They have won a lot, they have been there, seen it and done it. When you win the first one you know how it feels in certain situations, what it takes – so you have gained that experience. But they have more of it. Roger and Novak have more of those experiences than Andy does at this stage."

He does concede: "Of course it can work both ways. Now, beating Andy Murray is a little bit more than before the Olympics and the US Open, so you can make a good argument for both sides."

Plus, he has an OBE. "OK," he agrees, before bursting into a full-blown belly laugh.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/11/australian-open-ivan-lendl-andy-murray
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4711 on: January 12, 2013, 07:31 AM »

scot, re Lendl being "inspirational,"me too, only 20% there, crikey sending shivers down my spine... yahooo
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: News Articles « Reply #4712 on: January 12, 2013, 09:21 AM »

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2013-01-12/201301121357976634213.html

Rarely has a loss in a big match ever been so good for a player’s career.

Normally, such defeats are associated with disappointment. Missed opportunities and wretched luck; perhaps a sign that a player does not have the mental or physical strength to contend. Sometimes even a pre-cursor to a nosedive in confidence.

Murray’s loss in the Australian Open 2012 semifinals had the potential to be even more shattering. After two damaging finals losses in 2010 and 2011, he was pipped 7-5 in the fifth set of his semifinal against Novak Djokovic. Were the majors becoming his bogey events?

Apparently not. The then world No.4 was galvanised by that defeat, lauded by tennis pundits and fans alike for his newfound commitment to aggressive tennis. It set him on track for what he described as “by far my best year on the court”, which culminated in his first career Grand Slam triumph at the US Open. His opponent in the final? No less than Djokovic, whom the Scot defeated in five similarly-gruelling sets to their battle royale in Melbourne.

Murray had come full circle.

“I learnt a lot from last year’s semifinal. It was a very important match for me in the context of my year,” he said at Melbourne Park on Saturday.

“I felt like I played well. There was something I could really take away from it. That's why I was disappointed obviously, but it wasn't frustration.

“The way I went about the whole match was the right way. Even though I lost it, also the same thing happened at Wimbledon (in the final). I went about the match the right way … I was taking my chances. I wasn't waiting for the guys to miss.”

Murray’s win in New York ended a much-publicised 76-year drought of British male Grand Slam champions. And as a result, he said he was feeling “more relaxed” than usual the week before a major tournament.

There might, understandably, be the temptation for Murray to take the metaphorical foot off the pedal. After all, he’d already been a four-time major finalist prior to his win at Flushing Meadows, one which proved beyond doubt he had the mettle to succeed at the highest level, thriving despite an unfathomable amount of pressure on his shoulders from fans and media in his homeland.

He cracked the top 10 in 2007, has been a fixture in the top four since 2008, and has won countless Masters titles in addition to his US Open trophy. Having now traversed the tour for more than seven years, he could be forgiven for feeling content with all he has achieved.

Yet he insisted he remains as hungry for success as ever.

“I didn't work hard in Miami in the off‑season to come in and just not be focused or too relaxed or anything like that,” he said.

“I didn't train over there for four weeks to come here and put in a really bad performance. So I plan on playing well here.”

He has every reason to feel good ahead of his Australian Open campaign. Fresh off winning the Brisbane International, he starts off in Melbourne against Dutchman Robin Haase, ranked 54th. With nemesis Rafael Nadal remaining absent from the tour, Murray – should he get that far – will be spared a showdown with another member of the Big Four until at least the semifinals.

Roger Federer awaits in that projected last four battle, with a re-match against Djokovic slated for the final.

Murray said he would relish the chance to face off against the Serb, a player who is both a contemporary, friend and rival.

“I think our respect for one another has probably grown over the last 18 months or so,” he revealed.

“When I do play against him, it's a match I enjoy. They're incredibly tough, physical matches. We played quite a few good ones last year in some of the biggest events.

“If I get to play Novak here, that would mean it would be in the final. So obviously that's what I would like to do.”
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #4713 on: January 12, 2013, 09:31 AM »

A match made in heaven me thinks - lendl & murray.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4714 on: January 12, 2013, 10:21 AM »

some great articles my friends - thanks.
V pleased to see Andy's idol, Agassi, talking so positively about him again (though hope he's wrong about delpo as if he's not Andy would probably be the victim!). 
And liked the interview with Mr L and the observations about their 'partnership'.  I was watching highlights of last year's SF the other evening and it was noticeable that Mr L was much more animated than he is these days.  He  was on his feets clapping when Andy won a set and generally was much less stone faced. 
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #4715 on: January 12, 2013, 10:25 AM »

A match made in heaven me thinks - lendl & murray.

Agreed.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4716 on: January 12, 2013, 11:22 AM »

This isn't an actual news piece,but it IS Andy news-apparently when Jamie Baker won this morning,Andy came charging out of the tunnel to give him a big hug!Don't know if there's any pictures of it floating around-hopefully some will pop up!

Also,apparently Jez did indeed interrupt Andy's press conference to do that forfeit from the Versaclimber bet he lost to Lendl-apparently the statement he read out was prepared by Ivan himself lol!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4717 on: January 12, 2013, 11:28 AM »

Dani the video of jez confession is on video thread Smile
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4718 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33 AM »

Dani the video of jez confession is on video thread Smile

Ahh,thank you Angie-can't wait to see!I did wonder if it would actually happen lol!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4719 on: January 12, 2013, 11:35 AM »

Andy was trying to suppress his giggles lol
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4720 on: January 12, 2013, 11:49 AM »

Andy was trying to suppress his giggles lol

If I'm honest,I don't think I would've even been trying to suppress laughter-I just wouldn't have been able to help myself!Poor old Jez!That'll teach him to bet against Lendl lol!(Though why anyone would do that in the first place...)
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4721 on: January 12, 2013, 11:59 AM »

Stupid bugger-he has learned the hard way now  roflmao
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4722 on: January 12, 2013, 12:49 PM »

some great articles my friends - thanks.
V pleased to see Andy's idol, Agassi, talking so positively about him again (though hope he's wrong about delpo as if he's not Andy would probably be the victim!). 
And liked the interview with Mr L and the observations about their 'partnership'.  I was watching highlights of last year's SF the other evening and it was noticeable that Mr L was much more animated than he is these days.  He  was on his feets clapping when Andy won a set and generally was much less stone faced. 

Ruthie, I read what Agassi had to say. I read the bit where he mentioned Delpo and did a very dramatic cry of 'NO!!!' at the PC! I'm not having that! Mind you, I really need to not yell at the PC. My throat won't handle that as well as yelling at Andy or his opponents, whichever makes me yell more!

It is funny how Lendl was more animated then compared to now. I do wonder, seriously, if he has sat down with Andy at some point and asked Andy what he needs from him in terms of his reactions. I just think there may be something quietly reassuring about looking out and seeing at least one person looking calm, as if its all under control.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4723 on: January 12, 2013, 01:20 PM »

This isn't an actual news piece,but it IS Andy news-apparently when Jamie Baker won this morning,Andy came charging out of the tunnel to give him a big hug!Don't know if there's any pictures of it floating around-hopefully some will pop up!

Also,apparently Jez did indeed interrupt Andy's press conference to do that forfeit from the Versaclimber bet he lost to Lendl-apparently the statement he read out was prepared by Ivan himself lol!
ah that's lovely re Andy rushing to hug Jamie.  Sounds like he's so supportive to some of the other players.  Which is also the message we get from Laura.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4724 on: January 12, 2013, 04:01 PM »

Andy's pre-tournament presser..

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2013-01-12/201301121357974941194.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 314 [315] 316 317 318 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »