Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 319 [320] 321 322 323 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 506549 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Articles « Reply #4785 on: January 20, 2013, 04:55 PM »

I'm glad you liked it EJ, I thought you would.

That bit about Andy's temperament was fair comment. I liked the way Sampras can see that Andy has changed though, because so many of the pundits can't seem to see it. The thing is, Andy will always be intense, and rightly so, because he wants to win, but now he doesn't beat himself up so much, doesn't dwell on things, and I am sure it makes him much clearer in his thinking. These days I think it is interesting when Andy does get frustrated. He gets a grip on himself so quickly, regroups and often plays better.

Just coincidentally, doesn't it say so much for Andy that both Agassi and Sampras have gone into print recently talking about him so positively? I think it's marvellous.

As big a Samprastard I am, I can proudly say Pete is never known to take sides no matter what. He's very to the point when it comes to players and always very keen on giving out good advice. Agassi, I think, has always been very warm towards Andy and he is Andy's idol so that makes sense too. In the past, Sampras had indicated that Andy's biggest weakness was his mentality and the fact that, he wasted too much time on court. He had always suggested that Andy needed to develop a more attacking game and keep his matches as short as possible - especially against top players - where he used to suffer the most. I thought all his advice were very precise. But I guess anyone can see that but it means more when it comes from past Champions.

Lendl is very well received as a Coach no doubt but Sampras is definitely more pleased with it as he used to idolize Lendl a great deal (his 2nd favourite player right after Laver) - especially his killer instinct. Lendl helped Pete mentally the most especially how to recover from a bad point. You can see that he's saying in this interview that these days Andy recovers very quickly after a bad point, which is always a great sign. I wish Andy could train with Sampras for a few months just to improve his 2nd serve which is known as the best 2nd serve ever. His first is also known as the best in history. It's timing, precision and placement and not just power alone.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean January 20, 2013, 05:06 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Articles « Reply #4786 on: January 20, 2013, 05:04 PM »

Andy seemed distracted and unsettled so I mean in that sense when I say 'he lost a bit against Berankis' but he was never really under the threat of losing the match, which was weird if you think about it. He put forward an average match without ever coming close to losing it. lol.

But I'd like a much more composed Andy to be honest. I really think he'll raise his popularity at a remarkable level if checks his frustrations more. People really want to like him just as much they like Federer or Nadal etc. but sometimes Andy's on-court personality gets in the way. When they say they like his game but not his personality, they definitely mean his oncourt personality and not offcourt. They don't care about that since you get to see players on court much more than off court. Nothing matters offcourt. That's why Federer gets away with so many of his off-court snide remarks and still stays just as popular, because the general typical mass don't care for post-match interviews etc. They like to judge players based on what they see and Federer very rarely shows his negative emotion on court. When he does, they cut him slack since it's so rare.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4787 on: January 21, 2013, 12:36 PM »

Today's presser

Q.  A strange match in some respects.  You realized that Gilles' condition wasn't great.  How did you approach it?

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, I mean, it was kind of tough.  A tough situation for both players   more obviously for him.  You know, after the first few games, I mean, it didn't feel like that competitive.  Sort of at this stage of a Grand Slam you're sort of geed up and prepared for a tough battle.

That's why it becomes hard because the emotions aren't quite into it.  You're not quite necessarily feeling pressure, but you're wanting to try to finish the match as quickly as possible.

It was quite a tough situation for both.

Q.  Are you quite happy in the fact you got the job done pretty efficiently?

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah.  I mean, I think it was kind of always going be that way.  I felt after the first few games, because he wasn't serving hard at all, you know, his forehand side wasn't moving that well either.  It was just about trying to finish the match as quickly as I could and then getting ready for the next one.

Q.  Any concern you haven't been as tested as much as you would have liked?

ANDY MURRAY:  Who knows.  I mean, he got tested very hard in his last round and couldn't compete today.  You can look at it both ways.

You just got to work hard on the days off, practice all the things that you need to do better, hope that when the time comes that when you're tested you play better.

But I think this week, the first few matches, like against Berankis, I think almost every single time when I've been broken, I've broken straight back, which is a good sign.

Hope I can keep that up.

Q.  What do you recall about the Chardy match?  Did you see any of it today?  The Cincinnati match.

ANDY MURRAY:  I played him quite a few times.  We grew up around the same time in juniors.  Know each other pretty well.

The Cincinnati match was disappointing from my side.  I normally play quite well against him.  But he's playing good tennis.  I mean, he's had some big wins this week.  He serves well.  He's very aggressive off his forehand.  His backhand is his weaker side, for sure.  He hits a lot of slice, doesn't come over it too much.  He likes to come forward.

He can be erratic.  But when his game is on, like it's been the last few rounds, he's a very tough player to play because he doesn't give you too much rhythm.  And, yeah, he really goes for it.

Q.  Did you watch much of Novak's match last night?

ANDY MURRAY:  I saw maybe three points.  I didn't hardly see any of it.

Q.  You're aware of the story this morning suggesting the male players may boycott the US Open due to issues over prize money and a Monday final.

ANDY MURRAY:  I didn't know about the story.  Where did that come from?  (Smiling.)

Q.  Heard in the locker room or...

ANDY MURRAY:  Since the player meeting, I haven't discussed with any of the players what was said there, what the plans are.  But I know that the ATP are not particularly happy with the Monday final.  I know that's an issue because however much revenue they make from having an extra day on their tournament hasn't really reflected in the increase in the prize money.  That was what the players wanted, was obviously better prize money but not with an extra day to the event.

I think that's what they're disappointed with.  But I personally haven't spoken with anyone about boycotting the event.

Q.  You're playing another Frenchman now.  He beat you the last time you played in Cincinnati.  Considering that you were not in your best shape after the Olympic Games, does it make any significance for you?

ANDY MURRAY:  The match in Cincinnati?

Q.  Yes.

ANDY MURRAY:  Well, I hope it maybe motivates me more.  But I think that's why you need to make sure you put a lot of emphasis in every match on the tour.

Like I said, I played well against him in the past.  If you go into a match, you don't play particularly well, you lose to a guy like Jeremy, when you play them in the fourth round or a quarterfinals of a slam, whatever, you know, they'll go into the match with a bit more confidence.

So it's relevant in that respect.  But different conditions here.  Hope I can play a better match from my side.

Q.  Would you support a boycott of the US Open if it came to that?

ANDY MURRAY:  I don't want to go into that here at all.  Not the place for it.  Got the second week of a slam to focus on.  Can discuss that after the event.

_________________________________________________ ______________

Serena Williams talked about Andy and Chardy a bit as well...

Q.  What would your impression be of his match against Murray?

SERENA WILLIAMS:  Well, I don't have a good record against Murray myself, but...

I think he can do well.  I mean, he has such a big serve and such a big forehand.  I'm a big Murray fan, as well.  I mean, the guy is awesome.  He's running everything down.

I don't know.  I'm definitely not a coach.  But just hang in there, can do it.  Why not?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4788 on: January 21, 2013, 09:28 PM »

I love how he comments on other players like your average tennis fan, rather than as his next opponent.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4789 on: January 22, 2013, 12:33 PM »

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2266267/Andy-Murray-forced-play-Melbourne-heat-Australian-Open-chiefs-come-fire.html
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #4790 on: January 22, 2013, 12:44 PM »

^ Yup, was just about to post it but already saw it here.... just hate the organisers.. ranting
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4791 on: January 22, 2013, 12:50 PM »

glad to see the charges of unfairness are out in the open and that Ferrer's camp also unhappy about his treatment.  It really is disgraceful.  Just hope Andy does 'attack, destroy' if he gets to play pampered smugfed in the SF. 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #4792 on: January 22, 2013, 12:53 PM »

glad to see the charges of unfairness are out in the open and that Ferrer's camp also unhappy about his treatment.  It really is disgraceful.  Just hope Andy does 'attack, destroy' if he gets to play pampered smugfed in the SF. 
  The consolation for me is in the word pampered. Pampering leads to pummelling somewhere down the line. Lets hope Andy can do this on a primetime show stage for Faderer.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4793 on: January 22, 2013, 12:57 PM »

Well, Ferrer got to play two night matches.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4794 on: January 22, 2013, 01:15 PM »

The way Andy and David Ferrer have been treated is an outrage. The favouritism is so obvious it's got neon lights. It's utterly, utterly shameless as well, which somehow makes it worse.

I live in the real world, I know about advertising revenue, that sort of thing, but to blatantly give one player an apparent (I use the word deliberately) advantage like this is obscene. It's all very well gearing the schedules around TV, but what are they doing, organising a tennis tournament or an episode of X Factor?

There would be two perfect outcomes of all this, and either would be fine. Tsonga plays a blinder against Fed and dumps him out on his backside. That would be my option two. Option one is Andy skins Chardy alive in quick fashion, setting him up nicely to throttle Federer. Then he can go into the final and run Djokovic's legs off, just as he did in the first two sets in the USO, before pouncing in the third and sealing the deal in straight sets. That would show the idiots who is box office.

I really hope Lendl is using everything available to him to ensure the organisors get how disgusting their behaviour has been. I really do hope he gives them hell. Andy just needs to keep calm, focus on the task and knock seven sorts of crap out of Federer in the semi's. I still say that just because Andy has never beaten Federer in a slam it doesn't follow that he won't. If he can beat him in a best of five on grass, he can do it on a hard court.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4795 on: January 22, 2013, 01:23 PM »

Why did I read the comments. doh Same old drivel.
IP Logged
u2jcc
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #4796 on: January 22, 2013, 05:56 PM »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Andy wins against Chardy and give Federer a sound beating in the semis. I wonder what Federer's excuse will be then after being so heavily favored by having night matches at AO.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/9817790/Andy-Murray-disappointed-with-Australian-Open-draw.html
IP Logged
u2jcc
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #4797 on: January 22, 2013, 06:04 PM »

More of the same although a short mention that Azarenka's has all morning/afternoon matches too...not sure, but Sharapova too, I think.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/andy-murrays-camp-fumes-as-australian-open-rolls-out-red-carpet-for-roger-federer/story-fndkzym4-1226559604255
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4798 on: January 22, 2013, 08:15 PM »

Thing is Murray's stance is pretty much "it's not ideal but what can you do?".

His team and Ferrer's have made formal complaints. Articles are written,  headline says Murray not happy with draw.

Result? Murray gets slammed by the usual ignorant public who don't read the article and then start ripping into him and telling him to get over it.

Makes my blood boil.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #4799 on: January 22, 2013, 08:24 PM »

Thing is Murray's stance is pretty much "it's not ideal but what can you do?".

His team and Ferrer's have made formal complaints. Articles are written,  headline says Murray not happy with draw.

Result? Murray gets slammed by the usual ignorant public who don't read the article and then start ripping into him and telling him to get over it.

Makes my blood boil.
  Actually, I think its the likes of us that needs to get over it, tbh.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 319 [320] 321 322 323 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »