Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 1 Member and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 324 [325] 326 327 328 ... 645 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Articles  (Read 361407 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #4860 on: January 26, 2013, 03:45 PM »

Sounds like he's Prepared to Attack and Destroy again.
Thanks, Dani.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4861 on: January 26, 2013, 03:48 PM »

No problem Scotnadian Smile

Yup,he just needs to keep on following the instructions of that shirt!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Articles « Reply #4862 on: January 26, 2013, 04:03 PM »

That was really interesting Dani! I've often wondered what he's doing and what he's thinking about in the hours leading up to a big match and if he's as nervous as us lot! Apparently not!  Whistle  Thanks for sharing that!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4863 on: January 26, 2013, 04:04 PM »

No problem Scotnadian Smile

Yup,he just needs to keep on following the instructions of that shirt!

Thanks Dani. Andy sounds so positive and upbeat, just as he should. Good to read about how he goes about recovering from the semi and being ready for the final too.
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4864 on: January 26, 2013, 04:06 PM »

Andy's latest "The Australian" column

AS there is only a few hours now until my Australian Open final against Novak Djokovic, I thought I’d share a few insights into my preparation for the match and what I learnt from my two big matches against him last year, the first in a semi-final in Melbourne and the other one, obviously, in New York.

But first a memory from the US Open final last September that might give some of you a bit of a laugh. It’s something only the eagle-eyed might have noticed and when I look back now, I still shake my head but given the result, all is well that ends well.

When I was serving for the US title against Novak and leading 30-0, I was deep in the zone, thinking about where to put my first serve, hoping I’d get a free point out of Novak, that’s something that doesn’t happen very often. Decision made, I walked up to the baseline, bounced the ball and … realised I was about to serve to the wrong side of the court, this at the biggest moment of my career. You’d think I’d have known better after 20 years or so of playing! It actually had nothing to do with nerves, even though I was serving for my first grand slam title. As I said at the time, because I had built it up so much in my head, thought so much about being in the position to win a slam, I didn’t actually feel that nervous!

I just think it is all to do with being so much in the zone and while I haven’t done it too much, I watch a lot of matches and it does happen to other players. I was watching Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in his match against Roger a few nights before our semi-final and he went to walk to the chair when it was only 2-all. It’s very weird!

Now to what I hope will be a good omen for tonight’s final against Novak. If any of you watched either the US Open final or my semi-final against Roger the other night, you may have noticed a familiar face in the stands. A few actors, like Will Ferrell, are really big tennis fans and it turns out that Kevin Spacey is another. He must be, given this Tweet from the other night – “Congrats @Andy_Murray for his win! Can’t wait for Sunday night – Flew to Melbourne to watch. Awesome game!”. Kevin starred in one of my favourite films of all time, The Usual Suspects, where he played the criminal mastermind Keyser Soze.

Now to the final. Since my win over Roger on Friday night, I have focused all my energy on preparing for the final. It was great to beat Roger for the first time in a grand slam but knowing the job wasn’t complete, I headed straight to an ice bath before completing my media obligations. I didn’t leave Melbourne Park till about 2am, so it was a late night.

The plan yesterday was to sleep for as long as possible before going about further recovery. On waking up, I had a full breakfast, toast, a fruit platter, some yoghurt and then headed to the pool for a swim and a massage to loosen up the body. It doesn’t matter how fit you are, after a match like the one I had with Roger, you are going to wake up a little sore. But that’s why I’ve got my great team here.

Lunch was dinner and rice then a little more stretching and massage, but mostly I tried not to expend too much energy. I had a very light practice, only about 30 minutes or so, later in the day before dinner and then to stay up as long as I could last night. Because the final is played at night, you don’t want to go to bed early otherwise your body clock will be slowing down right at key moments in the final. Before going to the courts today, I’ll have another proper breakfast and lunch to keep the body fuelled, with my last meal about 90 minutes before we go on to the court.

I’m really looking forward to the final. My results over the last year show I’ve played my best tennis in the big matches, the slam finals and the Olympics. It doesn’t mean you are going to win every time but there is not much more you can do than that.

The thing that changes from winning big matches is that you have that extra bit of belief when you go out on the court. I think the thing with Roger and Rafa and then Novak over the past five or six years is that they have kept setting the bar at new levels and it has been up to the rest to catch up and I think I have done a good job with that.

Last year, when I played Novak here in a semi-final, that match was important for the rest of my career because it proved to me how close I was to breaking through if I improved a few small things.

It is obviously going to be tough and this might sound strange, but I hope am feeling in pain late on Sunday because that will mean I am right in the final. With our game styles, we play a lot of long points and have long rallies and we both return very well, so it is very tough to get free points.

Every time we played last year, it was incredibly close and very, very long matches. I wouldn’t expect anything different tonight but I’m aiming to come out on top!Thanks for that xxdanixx very interesting.

http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/andys-latest-column-the-australian-5/
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4865 on: January 26, 2013, 04:08 PM »

That was really interesting Dani! I've often wondered what he's doing and what he's thinking about in the hours leading up to a big match and if he's as nervous as us lot! Apparently not!  Whistle  Thanks for sharing that!

Lol,no problem Caz!

Well,even if he does get nervous,I hope he uses it in a positive fashion-I remember him once saying something like,if you don't get even a bit nervous,then you don't care enough.So hopefully even if he is feeling the nerves it's in a good way Smile

Plus I hope he's been enjoying himself-I still remember those pictures of him right before the USO final,showing him messing around with Kevin Spacey at a practice session-I thought it was so great to see him in such a good mood,when he could have been feeling so different.Hopefully it's been similar here,and Kim,Ivan and the rest of Team Murray are helping him stay in a good mindset-perhaps Kevin could join them again?!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4866 on: January 26, 2013, 04:09 PM »

Thanks Dani. Andy sounds so positive and upbeat, just as he should. Good to read about how he goes about recovering from the semi and being ready for the final too.

Not a problem at all Teejay!Yep,great to "hear" him sounding so positive Very Happy
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4867 on: January 26, 2013, 04:09 PM »

I totally agree Caroline.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Articles « Reply #4868 on: January 26, 2013, 04:16 PM »

Lol,no problem Caz!

Well,even if he does get nervous,I hope he uses it in a positive fashion-I remember him once saying something like,if you don't get even a bit nervous,then you don't care enough.So hopefully even if he is feeling the nerves it's in a good way Smile

Plus I hope he's been enjoying himself-I still remember those pictures of him right before the USO final,showing him messing around with Kevin Spacey at a practice session-I thought it was so great to see him in such a good mood,when he could have been feeling so different.Hopefully it's been similar here,and Kim,Ivan and the rest of Team Murray are helping him stay in a good mindset-perhaps Kevin could join them again?!
Yeah.......not like me then! [nervousw00t Also, I had always imagined him having an early night.....It just never crossed my mind that if he went to bed early, he might nod off during the match!  lmao
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Articles « Reply #4869 on: January 26, 2013, 04:18 PM »

I totally agree Caroline.

roflmao
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4870 on: January 26, 2013, 04:19 PM »

But first a memory from the US Open final last September that might give some of you a bit of a laugh. It’s something only the eagle-eyed might have noticed and when I look back now, I still shake my head but given the result, all is well that ends well.

When I was serving for the US title against Novak and leading 30-0, I was deep in the zone, thinking about where to put my first serve, hoping I’d get a free point out of Novak, that’s something that doesn’t happen very often. Decision made, I walked up to the baseline, bounced the ball and … realised I was about to serve to the wrong side of the court, this at the biggest moment of my career.

Yeah Andy, only the eagle-eyed... and the millions of viewers watching on SkySports when they pointed it out. Wink

On the note of Tsonga going to the chair at 2-2, it is always a subject that has always interested me. Imagine how embarrassing it would be if someone thought it was match point when it was only 30-0, or something? It must be easy to lose track of the score, particularly in smaller matches with a massive scoreboard there, if you're not paying attention or zone out the umpire.

Not uncommon for players to forget it's a second serve either. I remember Tsonga doing that against Federer in that famous Wimbledon match, and more recently Chardy did the same against Andy.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4871 on: January 26, 2013, 04:20 PM »

Yeah Andy, only the eagle-eyed... and the millions of viewers watching on SkySports when they pointed it out. Wink

roflmao

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4872 on: January 26, 2013, 04:33 PM »

Yeah.......not like me then! [nervousw00t Also, I had always imagined him having an early night.....It just never crossed my mind that if he went to bed early, he might nod off during the match!  lmao

It's funny,I hadn't thought of that either!
Haha,I know completely what you mean-I'm a bundle of nerves about this match already,and it isn't even tomorrow yet!Good thing Andy seems so much better than us at handling the nerves!(Well,I mean,he'd have to be,I guess  w00t )
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: News Articles « Reply #4873 on: January 26, 2013, 04:35 PM »

Australian Open final predictions...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21212312
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4874 on: January 26, 2013, 04:49 PM »

dani thanks for posting Andy's column.  It's always good when he pays tribute to his wonderful team.  And great to hear him sounding positive though I'm sure he'll be as nervous as hell as it gets closer - and as he says if he wasn't something would be wrong.  But he knows now how to use those nerves.  

and zarfeen thanks for the link to the final predictions.  I don't mind that the majority are going for Nole [though sorry Agassi is among them] and all who are are saying it's by a whisker (and the other way too of course). It's a testament to Andy I'd say that noone is prepared to say Nole has a big advantage over Andy now and by and large those predicting NOle will win are doing so on the basis of his easier SF and more rest time rather than anything intrinsic to him and his game. 
[ Last edit by Ruthie January 26, 2013, 04:54 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 324 [325] 326 327 328 ... 645 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »