Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 4 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 326 [327] 328 329 330 ... 741 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 446514 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4890 on: January 26, 2013, 11:20 PM »

To be fair Djokovic is the #1, won their last two encounters since the USO and is on a 20 game unbeaten run here in Melbourne. It's understandable why most people would favour him. I would put it 55/45 in his favour, given the circumstances. It could really go either way though.

This match-up is almost as close to a 50/50 match-up as possible. Neither of them has beaten the other three times a row since 2008/2009 when Murray beat Djokovic in Montreal, Cincinatti and Miami, although Djokovic could change that tomorrow.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter January 26, 2013, 11:30 PM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: News Articles « Reply #4891 on: January 26, 2013, 11:25 PM »

Yes, it's clearly a five-setter. It's down to who can compose themselves better in the fifth set, the fifth hour.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4892 on: January 27, 2013, 12:32 AM »

Andy Murray's coach Ivan Lendl convinced they make a formidable team

Twelve months after taking over as Murray's right-hand man, Lendl says the pair's understanding has definitely developed

Ivan Lendl remains as cool as ever ahead of Andy Murray's appearance in the final of the Australian Open against Novak Djokovic on Sunday. The coach, who has been with him since they hooked up here a year ago, was not carried away with statistics or history, especially the curiosity of Murray trying to become the first player in the Open era to follow his first slam title with another one straight away. When reminded that, as a player, he had to wait a good deal longer for his second major, Lendl, who won eight of them, was not impressed.

"I've never thought about it but I told Andy before the tournament: 'Apparently no player has won three Australian Opens in a row in the Open era and no player in the Open era has won his first major and then won his second win in the very next major. So that means Roger has to win here!' That's not going to happen now, so one of those theories goes out of the window. Once again it's a lovely story for you guys, but I pay no attention to that."

He reckoned it would play no part in Murray's performance. But did he not think that, in his own case, he was still developing as a player in the slams immediately after he had won his first title? "Well [John] McEnroe was still ranked No1, and Mats Wilander was still at least the same as me, if not better, on clay at that time."

He accepted his tennis might have still been evolving, like Murray's. "Possibly. I hate to compare like that, but I see what you're trying to say. Possibly."

How has the experience of working with Murray in Melbourne this time compared with last year? "It was less hectic this year because last year was a novelty and everybody wanted to talk. This year you guys have left me alone a lot more and it's a lot easier for me."

With a year's experience together, are they a better team? "No doubt about it. We have learned about each other and understand each other better. I think that would [be the case] in any team, in any relationship, that you would do better after a year."

Is it more enjoyable for that reason? "Yeah, that's one of the reasons. I've got my golf game set up very well too, so that was very enjoyable."

Murray talks of the importance of peaking at right time – how did they go about achieving that as a team? "Well unfortunately you're not in control of your schedule. You're not in full control of when you play. You're not in full control of how long the matches are. So that affects things. And every player is different. Some players need a tough match early, some need a tough match before the final, some don't need a tough match. So you don't go about it, you just have to deal with the cards you have."

Lendl said Djokovic's extra day of rest before the final would not have any effect – "Not at the age both guys are and the fitness they have" – and he has been impressed with Murray's energy levels throughout the tournament, especially in the semi-final against Roger Federer.

"It was great that he didn't dawdle around in the matches when he was in control and finished them, and most likely it can only help. I felt Andy was a little bit ahead in the [semi-final] the entire time. I don't know what the exact number of breaks against Andy and breaks against Roger were, but it would be big in Andy's favour, probably 6-2. [Murray converted six of 16, Federer two of six] And I remember playing a match like that myself.

"It's somewhat frustrating as you haven't been broken. I played the semi-final of Wimbledon against Slobodan Zivojinovic one year, I think it was '86 [it was], it was, like, 6-1, 6-7, 6-2, 6-7, 6-4 [actually 6-2, 6-7, 6-3, 6-7, 6-4]. It's very frustrating, because the guy isn't making any inroads on your serve but you find yourself two sets all and you know you have been the better player. The good point there was that Andy's fitness came through. I think it was apparent that he was fitter in the fifth set than Roger and that's why that set was relatively – using that word loosely – relatively easy."

Lendl, though, was most impressed with the way Murray handled the frustration of blowing the fourth set, when he was serving for the match at 6-5, and distracted by an exchange of words and looks with Federer.

"Yes I'm very proud of him, how he dealt with it. It has to do with preparation, though. If you feel you're strong and you don't feel like you are going to run out of gas, it's a lot easier to deal with that than if you feel I've only got four more games in me or something. If you feel, OK, I can play three more sets I'm fine, it's a lot easier to swallow the bitter pill of losing the fourth set in a tie-breaker."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/26/andy-murray-ivan-lendl-team
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4893 on: January 27, 2013, 07:36 AM »

I'm sure Ivan's pride in him is another important motivating factor for Andy.
Incidentally re the Ferrer-Nole match I have noticed that Ferrer can crumble against top 2 players.  I've seen it with Fed at the 02 when Ferrer had been playing really well in previous matches.  So I agree one can't read too much into that match and I'm hoping it means that Nole peaked too early.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4894 on: January 27, 2013, 07:42 AM »

Agree with Ruthie, Ferrer match no indication of where Nole's at. Think Ferrer had played too much tennis and was surprised he got to semis tbh.
However, Nole peaking too soon  nah
However, last year being so close and this year Andy playing better Boxing
Yes yahooo
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4895 on: January 27, 2013, 03:14 PM »

The standards of punctuation, particularly the run-on sentences, in this article are simply appalling:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/australianopen/9827164/Australian-Open-2013-Novak-Djokovic-beats-Andy-Murray-to-win-hat-trick-of-titles-in-Melbourne.html
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #4896 on: January 27, 2013, 03:34 PM »

What, on earth, do you mean?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4897 on: January 27, 2013, 03:38 PM »

This is the bleedin' national press. It's unacceptable.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #4898 on: January 27, 2013, 03:43 PM »

What, on earth, do you mean?

He's right. The first three paragraphs alone are filled with errors.

Don't they have a copy editor to look over those pieces?

That maiden win came four and a half months ago in the final of the US Open against Djokovic on that famous night in September when Murray ended a 76-year wait for British tennis at Flushing Meadows in a five set thriller lasting just shy of five hours.

Just wow.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4899 on: January 27, 2013, 03:45 PM »

GCSE generation reporters.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4900 on: January 27, 2013, 03:51 PM »

Here are just a few examples.

Run-on sentences:

'Regardless of how this encounter ended one thing was guaranteed, a record of some sort was going to be set, one of the men on the court would etch their name into the tennis history books.'

'Murray took the first on a tiebreak after 68 minutes, unfortunately for him, that was where the similarities ended.'

'In fairness to the fan in question, the problem did not arise again, unfortunately the same could not be said for Murray's injury woes'

'His body was giving up on him, not only was he struggling with blisters but as the fourth set started...'

Wrong spelling:

'The Serbian, not phased by the apparent heckling...'
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4901 on: January 27, 2013, 03:51 PM »

I'm going to phone up and complain.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4902 on: January 27, 2013, 03:57 PM »

He's right.
Why, yes, of course, didn't you know, I already knew that? wink
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #4903 on: January 27, 2013, 03:59 PM »

Yep, I know!

Can you help me out by complaining here? Thx (3rd item down):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/about-us/3519232/Telegraph-Media-Group-Editorial.html
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4904 on: January 27, 2013, 04:04 PM »

Yep, I know!

Can you help me out by complaining here? Thx (3rd item down):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/about-us/3519232/Telegraph-Media-Group-Editorial.html
Nah.. I'm considerably unfazed by the whole thing. You do the shooting, Nige.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 326 [327] 328 329 330 ... 741 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »