Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 3 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 328 [329] 330 331 332 ... 749 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 454426 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4920 on: January 28, 2013, 05:08 PM »

I so agree about the unforced errors. People look at the UE count and say somebody played bad when it's high, even though it was clearly not the case. It's just meaningless in today's game.

Say for example there's a 50 shot rally with amazing shots and defensive plays, but to finish it ends on an UE error.. that adds to the count as much as missing an easy 2nd serve return does. It's a stupid statistic.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4921 on: January 28, 2013, 06:13 PM »

I so agree about the unforced errors. People look at the UE count and say somebody played bad when it's high, even though it was clearly not the case. It's just meaningless in today's game.

Say for example there's a 50 shot rally with amazing shots and defensive plays, but to finish it ends on an UE error.. that adds to the count as much as missing an easy 2nd serve return does. It's a stupid statistic.

There is a move to divide stats for errors into forced and unforced which seems sensible.   Lumping them all into UEs is meaningless.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4922 on: January 28, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Some quite nice stuff from Pat Cash, who, if I recall, hasn't always been Andy's biggest fan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/9830622/Australian-Open-2013-Pat-Cash-backs-Andy-Murray-to-become-No-1-despite-loss-to-Novak-Djokovic.html
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #4923 on: January 28, 2013, 06:38 PM »

This is the article I mentioned that includes Lendl's views on the final.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/26/andy-murray-ivan-lendl-team
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4924 on: January 28, 2013, 10:04 PM »

This is super lazy of me but, can anyone please direct me to the article which mentions that Andy called Ross straight after the final and apologised???
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4925 on: January 28, 2013, 10:09 PM »

Andy Murray sets his sights on keeping pace with Novak Djokovic

• Scot aims to bounce back quickly from Australian Open
• World No3 wary of the threat returning Rafael Nadal

Andy Murray left Melbourne beaten but not bowed. He did not add a second grand slam title to his portfolio after his triumph in New York four months ago but, after analysing his defeat by Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open final, he knows what he needs to do to keep pace with the world No1, and to see off the challenge of Roger Federer, whom he beat in the semi-final, and Rafael Nadal, who returns from seven months out through injury in Chile this week.

Nevertheless Murray, still third in the world, reckons it will be harder than ever to get to No1 – a goal many good judges reckon is within his grasp in 2013, including Andre Agassi and Boris Becker.

"It's tough," Murray said. "If I had won here I would have two slams, a Wimbledon final and Olympic gold and still been well behind Novak."

"The argument a few years ago was with [Caroline] Wozniacki being No1 without a slam – but Novak [who won one slam last year, the Australian] still would have been significantly ahead of me even if I'd won. With his consistency just now, Rafa [Nadal] coming back, it's going to get tougher.

"I'll need to do well the next few months and not play badly – especially in the Masters series, I will need to do well there. My next goal is to try and play good tennis in Indian Wells and Miami.

"I've realised in the last year or so that when I set myself short-term goals I tend to play better tennis that way. Previously after every slam I would look way ahead to the next one and kind of take my eye off the ball with the other events so that's the immediate goal and also slightly think about the French Open. It's a tournament I'm capable of doing well in but for me it takes a lot of practice, a lot of hours on clay to get used to it. So that's a major goal for me but I've got to do well in the next few months.

"I obviously didn't do particularly well on the clay until the French last year. Indian Wells wasn't good so there's obviously potential to pick up points and improve my ranking. The way the rankings are, I think these should be the events that dictate the majority of the rankings but that's not always the way it works."

He has some fine-tuning to do and is slightly disappointed that he did not build on his first-set lead against Djokovic in Sunday's final.

"Maybe not so much with tactics," he said. "I will have a think about why I maybe didn't create as many chances on the return as I've done in the past, but the way I was striking the ball was fine. My tactics were right, I just didn't give myself enough opportunities on his serve. I have to try and improve my return."

As for Davis Cup commitments in 2013, Murray said, "I'm going to discuss it with [Great Britain's captain, Leon Smith] once I get back from here. I spoke to him in Miami, so we will talk about it again."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/28/andy-murray-pace-novak-djokovic
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #4926 on: January 28, 2013, 10:15 PM »

This is super lazy of me but, can anyone please direct me to the article which mentions that Andy called Ross straight after the final and apologised???

Milly,I'm not sure there is an article on it-I think he said it during a radio interview.I'll have a look for you tomorrow morning though,if you like!
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4927 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21 PM »

Milly,I'm not sure there is an article on it-I think he said it during a radio interview.I'll have a look for you tomorrow morning though,if you like!

Thanks Dani, know I'm being lazy but that goes to show how long a day it's been!!!  I saw someone mention it on twitter and so assumed it may have been in a paper- didn't occur to me that it may have been from a radio interview..thanks again!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4928 on: January 28, 2013, 10:48 PM »

The other stat I find a bit weird is the  break point conversion rate - if a player breaks someone twice, each time at love- 40 that gets quoted as 2/6 break points won - but they didn't need the other 4 cos they broke straight away .  If it their opponent also broke twice but  from 30-40 that they broke twice it would be seen as 2/2 and the suggestion made that this player has been more successful at converting break points. How can you break your opponent to love and be seen as less successful. This has bugged me for years actually. (we all have our little bugbears)
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #4929 on: January 28, 2013, 11:00 PM »

The other stat I find a bit weird is the  break point conversion rate - if a player breaks someone twice, each time at love- 40 that gets quoted as 2/6 break points won - but they didn't need the other 4 cos they broke straight away .  If it their opponent also broke twice but  from 30-40 that they broke twice it would be seen as 2/2 and the suggestion made that this player has been more successful at converting break points. How can you break your opponent to love and be seen as less successful. This has bugged me for years actually. (we all have our little bugbears)

It does seem a bit odd but I suppose in a way you are marginally more successful if you take the only 2 break points available whereas in the other scenario you had a bit of a cushion.   I  suppose the only other way is to subtotal them but it might make the stats a bit complicated if  too many ifs and buts are introduced.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #4930 on: January 28, 2013, 11:24 PM »

I've never seen it counted this way before. If a player has multiple break points and takes the first one it is usually recorded as 1/1.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #4931 on: January 29, 2013, 05:12 AM »

He did that??? Some more news about this, please!!!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #4932 on: January 29, 2013, 08:06 AM »

Here's a clip from Ross speaking on Radio 5 Live after the final.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014bbt4
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #4933 on: January 29, 2013, 12:18 PM »

Here's a clip from Ross speaking on Radio 5 Live after the final.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014bbt4

Thank you so much Sparkle hug
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #4934 on: January 29, 2013, 12:33 PM »

Lovely clip from Ross - thanks Sparkle.
Ross was also on BBCNews24 yesterday in quite a long item (with clips of Andy and Lendl practising too).  I was having my lunch at time and sound was turned down so couldn't hear what he said but he might well have said something then too.   DK if it's on BBC tennis website perhaps?  No time to look right now
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 328 [329] 330 331 332 ... 749 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »