Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 335 [336] 337 338 339 ... 778 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 497326 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5025 on: February 04, 2013, 08:02 AM »

That Wilkie interview is odd.  He says a few strange things, which makes him look a bit odd himself - a mixture of slightly bitter about some things, whilst being smug he's not resorting to doing the work that Sharron Davies and Duncan Goodhew are, and dismissive of what Tom Daley is doing now.  He sounds quite insecure and over-compensating.

I am minded to think he was asked leading questions, which he agreed with, rather than making those statements outright, and the Scottish/British/English stuff was probably said jokingly.  Same for thinking that he should have been given a tennis racquet or gold club.  At least I hope so!

It is remarkable that he might think Andy is trying too hard to be liked now.   Andy is more relaxed around journalists these days, but he's still the guy who risked criticism to keep on training instead of turning up to SPOTY, and he'd much rather talk about tennis during interviews than mug for the cameras. 
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5026 on: February 04, 2013, 10:10 AM »

Olympic legend David Wilkie: Andy Murray became a Brit when he won gold.. he'll be English if he wins Wimbledon

Looking at Andy's official website might lead folk to believe this already, with the background picture being Big Ben and the London Eye.  The reason for this ????????????
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #5027 on: February 04, 2013, 03:21 PM »

Andy Murray will arrive at the Aegon Championships in June as a Grand Slam champion for the first time, and targeting a third title on his return to The Queen’s Club - the scene of his first ATP World Tour match victory.

Eight years on from that first win against Santiago Ventura of Spain in 2005, Murray returns having won the Aegon Championships twice, a gold medal at the London Olympics, and having reached six Grand Slam singles finals. Last September, at the US Open, he became the first British man to win a singles title at a Grand Slam tournament since Fred Perry 76 years earlier.

The 2013 Aegon Championships is one of four ATP & WTA grass court tournaments staged and run by the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) in the run up to The Championships, Wimbledon, and will be the next opportunity for fans to see Murray in action on British soil. He is already looking forward to it.

"I’ll never forget winning the first ATP match of my career at Queen's Club almost 8 years ago,” said Murray. “I was only 18 at the time and then went on to have a great match with Thomas Johansson, who was in the Top 20 at the time, a couple of rounds later. They get big crowds who know their tennis and Tournament Director Chris Kermode and the organisers do a great job.  The grass courts are as good as anywhere in the world, which is perfect coming a week before Wimbledon. I’ve won the title twice before and I'd love to win it again this year."

After lifting the Aegon Championships trophy without dropping a set in 2009, Murray triumphed again in spectacular fashion two years later, winning a thrilling, rain-delayed Monday final against Jo Wilfried Tsonga. The last British player to win three titles at The Queen’s Club was FG Lowe, who lifted the trophy for a third and final time in 1925.
Thomas Johansson, who won their 2005 clash 7-6(1), 6-7(5), 7-5, knew that he was up against a star of the future. “I had practiced with Andy before, so I knew what he was capable of. In that match, he showed that, even at 18, he was for sure a Top 20 player of the future, but he was still a young man. Now he has matured and become one of the fittest guys out there. He is a brilliant player and he will win many more Grand Slam tournaments in the future.”

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/LTA-summer-grass-court-events/Aegon-Championships/News/2013/Grand-Slam-champion-Murray-targets-third-Aegon-Championships-title/
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #5028 on: February 04, 2013, 03:46 PM »

Andy Murray will arrive at the Aegon Championships in June as a Grand Slam champion for the first time, and targeting a third title on his return to The Queen’s Club - the scene of his first ATP World Tour match victory.

I'd love Andy to do the Queen's/Wimbly double. That would be awesome, but I'll settle for anything other than what happened against Mahut last year, although I don't think there will be a repeat of that. I still think Andy was flat that day.

Last year was a weird tournament at Queen's. Andy and Tsonga out early, the rain, Nalbandian throwing a hissy fit, and Cilic winning, but not really winning. Still, at least judging by the newspapers, the mass hysteria about Andy's form, predicting a disaster at Wimbledon, was a laugh. I did say he'd be all right  Whistle.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #5029 on: February 04, 2013, 04:04 PM »

Wasn't there a problem with the courts last year? I think a few of the players weren't happy with the conditions, which might explain the vast amount of early shock upsets.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #5030 on: February 04, 2013, 04:16 PM »

Wasn't there a problem with the courts last year? I think a few of the players weren't happy with the conditions, which might explain the vast amount of early shock upsets.

That does ring a bell now you mention it. Mind you, there were some upsets in Halle too, weren't there, so it could just have been one of those things.

I did wonder in Andy's case if he'd been distracted, because he played Mahut on the day that the story came out about Tommy Haas apparently having a go at him about the back problem. I don't think it would bother him now, but it seemed at that point as if everyone was having a go at him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5031 on: February 04, 2013, 04:46 PM »

That Wilkie interview is odd.  He says a few strange things, which makes him look a bit odd himself - a mixture of slightly bitter about some things, whilst being smug he's not resorting to doing the work that Sharron Davies and Duncan Goodhew are, and dismissive of what Tom Daley is doing now.  He sounds quite insecure and over-compensating.

I am minded to think he was asked leading questions, which he agreed with, rather than making those statements outright, and the Scottish/British/English stuff was probably said jokingly.  Same for thinking that he should have been given a tennis racquet or gold club.  At least I hope so!

It is remarkable that he might think Andy is trying too hard to be liked now.   Andy is more relaxed around journalists these days, but he's still the guy who risked criticism to keep on training instead of turning up to SPOTY, and he'd much rather talk about tennis during interviews than mug for the cameras. 
I seem to remember that Wilkie was always a bit up himself but whether that was just a front or not, I don't know.

But you could be right about being asked leading questions, either that or things that he said being reported out of context (not uncommon, unfortunately), but he criticises Andy and then we get the following which suggests that he doesn't really have much of a clue about him -

David ... has never met Andy but knows what advice he would give him.

He said: “I’ve always paddled my canoe and that’s exactly the advice I’d give to Andy if I spoke to him. Love many, trust few and always paddle your own canoe.

Looking at Andy's official website might lead folk to believe this already, with the background picture being Big Ben and the London Eye.  The reason for this ????????????
It's because Andy is in London at the moment, and am.com always change their background depending on where he happens to be (if they remember to do it, that is!)

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5032 on: February 04, 2013, 05:03 PM »

That does ring a bell now you mention it. Mind you, there were some upsets in Halle too, weren't there, so it could just have been one of those things.

I did wonder in Andy's case if he'd been distracted, because he played Mahut on the day that the story came out about Tommy Haas apparently having a go at him about the back problem. I don't think it would bother him now, but it seemed at that point as if everyone was having a go at him.
I don't know what was going on in Halle, but Queens was badly affected by all the rain we'd had, so that probably had more bearing on Andy's performance than anything Haas said.  From the BBC report on the match -

... Murray was returning to action after his quarter-final defeat by David Ferrer at the French Open.

He started practising at Queen's on Saturday but this was the first time he has set foot on Centre Court since lifting the trophy 12 months ago, and he looked far from happy with the surface.

Two break points went begging in the opening game as the Scot slid around the back-court and the conditions seemed to hamper his movement and intensity ...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5033 on: February 04, 2013, 06:36 PM »

Positive comments about Andy from the Bleacher Report.  I've posted points 3, 5 & 6 about Djokovic on his own thread.

Djokovic vs. Murray: 6 Things We Learned from 2013 Australian Open Final  [27 Jan]

1. Not a Mental Collapse from Murray

When many who didn't watch the match learn of the result and the circumstances in which Novak Djokovic came from behind to win, they will think the same thing: What a choke by Andy Murray.

After all, the Scotsman has been known to crumble under pressure in Grand Slam semifinals and finals, and having won the first set, you'd have expected him to do better here. You'd have expected him to at least break the Djokovic serve.

But this result was the furthest thing from an Andy Murray collapse; the Brit was huge in defeat and proved himself to be a genuine talent on center court.

He held serve against arguably the best returner in the game for two whole sets, and had he won that second-set tiebreak, the result would have been entirely different.

It would be Murray's body that would give in—not his mind—as the rigors of his laboring five-set semifinal against Roger Federer began to show in the third set.  He received injury treatment for his toes and looked to be in absolute agony at the end, unable to turn or stop and go in a different direction at all.

This was not a mental collapse from Murray, and the fact he hung in there for so long against Djokovic is a testament to just how strong he was mentally here.

2. Murray Heroic in Defeat

As a result of that mental strength, Andy Murray was completely heroic in defeat.

Evidently struck down by the injury gods, Murray pushed through the pain barrier and managed to fight Novak Djokovic all the way until the end of the match.

Even in the last game of serve, with the Joker leading 5-2 and cruising, Murray pushed Novak all the way until the final point of the match. He would not give in, and you'd think that the Scotsman will have won himself a lot of fans with the way he carried himself.

He will no doubt be bitterly disappointed with the loss, but he should feel differently from this one as he might have felt from other Grand Slam defeats.

Murray carried himself with dignity and class, and when he could have simply retired hurt or thrown in the towel and given up, he fought right to the end.

And that's the mark of a true champion.

4. Murray's Serve a Game-Changing Weapon

It might not have seemed as evident in this match as it was against Roger Federer, but Andy Murray's serve is becoming a real game-changing weapon for the Scotsman.

Murray went a set and a half in this one without dropping a point on his first serve—a testament to just how strong Ivan Lendl has gotten this serve to be.

The 2012 U.S Open champion would serve fewer aces than Novak (eight to seven) but won a staggering 81 percent of his first-serve points for the match and would keep one of the best returns in the game to just 33 percent retuning points won.

He slammed down over 20 aces to get past Federer, and his serve nearly pulled him out of trouble in that third set when his body started giving up on him.

Alas, it was not to be this weekend for Murray, but his serve is definitely going to be something to look out for through the rest of the 2013 season.

As a very early prediction, I'd say watch out for it at the grass courts of Wimbledon, where the ball will skid through with pace on his big serve.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1503461-djokovic-vs-murray-6-things-we-learned-from-2013-australian-open-final/page/2

IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5034 on: February 04, 2013, 06:42 PM »

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/8471362/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5035 on: February 04, 2013, 07:31 PM »

^ "Andy Murray ready to dedicate himself to assault on French Open title"

So it looks like there definitely won't be any Andy tennis for 4 weeks then, John.  Will you survive?  wink
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #5036 on: February 04, 2013, 07:45 PM »

Andy Murray to miss Davis Cup in April against Russia

Andy Murray chose to miss Britain's Davis Cup tie in April against Russia because he believes he can win his second major title at the French Open.

The US Open champion, 25, will focus on preparing for the clay-court season while Britain play in Coventry.

Murray said he will be available for Britain's next Davis Cup tie in September.

"I believe I have a chance of winning the French Open," said Murray.

"But to do that I need to prepare and use every single day as best as I can."

Murray has made the semi-finals of the French Open in the past, and with seven-time champion Rafael Nadal only just ready to return from a long injury lay-off, the Scot will be among the favourites this time.

"The clay-court season is extremely important for me," said Murray, who was speaking at Queen's Club where he confirmed he will return to the Aegon Championships in June.

"It's a surface that takes me a long time to get used to, it's not a surface that comes naturally to me. Grass and hard courts I feel comfortable on fairly quickly, the clay takes me a long time.

"I need to practise and train on that for a lot of hours. It's a surface where I had problems with my back last year and I had to take a pretty solid amount of time off during that season."

Murray lost to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open final on 27 January, and admitted that his lengthy semi-final win over Roger Federer might have had an effect on his chances in the final.

"Obviously there were a few things I could have done a little bit better in the final, also the semi-final as well," he said.

"I maybe could have made it easier on myself and not had a long five-setter - I had the chance to serve for the match in the fourth set, didn't play a particularly good tie-breaker after that, so they're the sorts of things you think about and look at.

"But I played well overall, it was a good tournament."

Murray preparations take him to Miami next for a block of training and has chosen not to play between now and the Masters events in Indian Wells and Miami on 7 and 20 March respectively.

"I've realised over the years that I play my best when I have time to prepare for each tournament as best as possible," he said.

"That's why I'm not going to play anything between Indian Wells and Miami."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21326796
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5037 on: February 04, 2013, 09:55 PM »

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/murray-issues-doping-warning-203025110--spt.html
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #5038 on: February 04, 2013, 10:08 PM »

Jonathan Overend ‏@5livetennis
Murray in great form today for a wide-ranging BBC interview... Just nice to sit down, breath, and take in everything he is achieving!

Jonathan Overend ‏@5livetennis
Andy Murray interview on 5 Live after 7pm Tuesday evening. Bits will appear from Breakfast time I would think.

Should be worth a listen, help us with our withdrawal symptoms!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5039 on: February 04, 2013, 10:20 PM »

Thanks for the tip. Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 335 [336] 337 338 339 ... 778 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »