Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 336 [337] 338 339 340 ... 711 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 407461 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #5040 on: February 04, 2013, 10:24 PM »

Thanks Wimbledon Westie Smile
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Articles « Reply #5041 on: February 05, 2013, 12:18 AM »

Andy Murray wants tennis to learn from the Lance Armstrong doping scandal and introduce tighter controls.

The British number one believes that prize funds should be reduced if it is the only way to fund more regular blood testing and protect the sport's image.

"It's down to our governing bodies and the ATP to invest some of our own money and make sure we get more testing done," he said.

"If it means taking some of the money out of the players' earnings then that's what we have to do."

Full article here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21330805
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5042 on: February 05, 2013, 01:00 AM »

Andy Murray wants tennis to learn from the Lance Armstrong doping scandal and introduce tighter controls.

The British number one believes that prize funds should be reduced if it is the only way to fund more regular blood testing and protect the sport's image.

"It's down to our governing bodies and the ATP to invest some of our own money and make sure we get more testing done," he said.

"If it means taking some of the money out of the players' earnings then that's what we have to do."

I think Andy does have a point re taking the money out of players' earnings (although surely only the top players because the lower-ranked ones are paid peanuts), because, as he points out, tennis might have more appeal as a sport if people know it's clean.

Not tennis, but this is the latest scandal to rock the sporting world, and Andy is a huge footie fan, so I'm sure he'll his views on this too.  Fortunately only one British club has so far been implicated in this.

"Match Fixing in Football: Europol investigate 380 possibly fixed matches"

http://soccerlens.com/europol-match-fixing-ucl/102772/
IP Logged
Simone

Re: News Articles « Reply #5043 on: February 05, 2013, 05:46 AM »

Thanks for posting this Smile
I just read the article and it really does make me proud to be an Andy Murray fan. He is so obviously a generally good person and cares alot about sports in general.
I am a big tennis fan but also a massive general sports fan. I was a huge supporter of Marion Jones (the Sydney 2000 Olympics were here in Australia when I was a teenager and she was the face of those games) and it was so disappointing for me when one of my role models was discovered to be a cheat.  It is great to know that I am supporting a 100% clean althlete in Andy and that he is so vocal in speaking out about doping.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5044 on: February 05, 2013, 08:31 AM »

Andy's comments about doping and testing are very wise.  It would be very easy to say something that people could take the wrong way, so it's incredibly sensible for him to focus on what can be done, and why it's a good idea to do more, rather than get embroiled in whether or not tennis is clean or saying anything that could come across as overt criticism of what has gone on before.  He is fairly specific about what is required, acknowledges there are financial implications, but argues that in light of the Armstrong scandal, the status quo just isn't going to cut it.

It's also clever, because by saying he'd be prepared to take a cut in prize money, it will be harder for the cost excuse to be trotted out by ITF.  Obviously, that would rely on other players being prepared to take a similar cut, but I imagine top (clean) players would be all for it, as they must know that their legacy risks becoming tainted.  It's all very well being clean, but if there is no way to prove it, there will always be rumours.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #5045 on: February 05, 2013, 11:56 AM »

Yes there is a big article in the Times this morning re doping. Apparently Djokovic has not had a blood test for six months. I remember Andy complaining that the testers would come to his house at 6.00am in the morning but now he agrees that more had to be done re doping. He said players should contribute more to fund the testing which could come out of the prize money.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #5046 on: February 05, 2013, 01:05 PM »

Andy's comments about doping and testing are very wise.  It would be very easy to say something that people could take the wrong way, so it's incredibly sensible for him to focus on what can be done, and why it's a good idea to do more, rather than get embroiled in whether or not tennis is clean or saying anything that could come across as overt criticism of what has gone on before.  He is fairly specific about what is required, acknowledges there are financial implications, but argues that in light of the Armstrong scandal, the status quo just isn't going to cut it.

It's also clever, because by saying he'd be prepared to take a cut in prize money, it will be harder for the cost excuse to be trotted out by ITF.  Obviously, that would rely on other players being prepared to take a similar cut, but I imagine top (clean) players would be all for it, as they must know that their legacy risks becoming tainted.  It's all very well being clean, but if there is no way to prove it, there will always be rumours.

I think this is spot on. There was a small snippet of Andy on the news last night, talking about the doping issue, talking about what needs to be done, the financial implications, etc. He was very impressive and wise on the topic. He's obviously given it a lot of thought.

I really do think Andy has become a fantastic ambassador for the sport. I love the way he seems comfortable now to express a view, such as this on doping and what can be done, particularly for the benefit of the sport and those watching. He comes across so well, articulate, intelligent and genuine. When it eventually happens, and I'm sure it will, Andy is going to be a superb No.1 in the world, because though his way isn't to be the all singing, all dancing, jokey type, he cares passionately about sport in general and tennis in particular, and it shows.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #5047 on: February 05, 2013, 01:08 PM »

According to David Law's titter,apparently during a Sky interview this morning Andy was asked-again-about any marriage plans with Kim.His response was pretty much the same as he always gives lol!

5h DavidLaw ‏@DavidLawTennis
This morning on Sky News - 'When will you marry Kim?' Andy #Murray: 'I'll let you know when it happens. (Smiling) - If it happens.' Haha
To be clear, #Murray then added, 'no, I'm not saying it won't happen. But no plans yet.'

I wonder,seeing as he always gives such similar responses,do the interviewers actually expect a different answer nowadays?!The reaction of the interviewer if he ever actually gave a different answer would probably be funny to see  w00t
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #5048 on: February 05, 2013, 02:08 PM »

w00t Aww andy put a ring on that lovely girls finger Smile I have my bridesmaid dress all looked out.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #5049 on: February 05, 2013, 05:29 PM »

I have a feeling they may get engaged this year. I do not think Andy wants to rush into marriage look at smug fed sometimes I feel sorry for Mirky she must get fed up going to all his matches especially when she has the kids in tow. I am sure she would love a nice settled life, and not have to trail after Smugfed with the kids.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #5050 on: February 05, 2013, 05:31 PM »

I think he will propose after he wins Wimbledon in July  kiss
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5051 on: February 05, 2013, 05:49 PM »

Andy Murray quiz - test your knowledge of the tennis ace
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/13859081

Only 8/10 for me...  doh
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5052 on: February 05, 2013, 07:41 PM »

Jonathan Overend ‏@5livetennis
Murray in great form today for a wide-ranging BBC interview... Just nice to sit down, breath, and take in everything he is achieving!

Andy Murray interview on 5 Live after 7pm Tuesday evening. Bits will appear from Breakfast time I would think.

Should be worth a listen, help us with our withdrawal symptoms!

Think we got gazumped by the government!   Frown
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5053 on: February 05, 2013, 09:08 PM »

Think we got gazumped by the government!   Frown
[/quote
Apologies. Murray interview tonight was put on hold because of extended coverage from the Commons. We're working on getting it out tomorrow

... An edit in video form already up on the BBC sport website... Hoping full thing can run on 5live after England/Brazil tomorrow..

Yup we were!

IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5054 on: February 05, 2013, 10:04 PM »

Has anyone managed to find the edited interview on the BBC Sport page? I've tried both the tennis and home pages with no luck on either.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 336 [337] 338 339 340 ... 711 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »