Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 508076 times)
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5130 on: February 09, 2013, 09:45 PM »

Vile woman.

What's his name? Smile
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #5131 on: February 09, 2013, 10:56 PM »

A recent bleacher report which i agree with that nadal being back on tour will actually help andys chanches of beating novak rather than hinder them.

I'm sure many of you reading that title will disagree with me, and I can understand why.

Andy Murray has always struggled against the power and athleticism of the Spaniard and has a losing record against him.

Murray has beaten Nadal twice in Grand Slam tournaments, but more often than not he has come up short when facing Nadal in the past, particularly in the bigger matches. He has always been able to create chances but has struggled with the remorseless nature of the Nadal game.

However, that was the old Andy Murray. The pre-Lendl Murray. His game has changed dramatically since then. Since they last played, Murray has reached a Wimbledon final, won Olympic Gold, snatched his first Grand Slam victory and reached his third Australian Open final. I think the Scotsman would fancy his chances the next time the two players meet in a tournament.

That is not the reason, though, that I believe Nadal is essential to Murray's chances of winning a another Grand Slam in 2013. Many will argue that this makes Murray's task all the harder, and I can see their reasoning. It just adds another potential obstacle for him to overcome.

The reason this thought occured to me was when Novak Djokovic absolutely steamrollered through David Ferrer in his Australian Open semifinal. Murray then played a day later and was taken to five sets following a courageous Roger Federer performance.

In the final, Murray was far the better player in the first two sets against his great rival but ran out of steam after losing the second set on a tie break.

Will Nadal retain his French Open title in 2013?

Yes
 No
Submit Vote vote to see results
Murray is one of the fittest players on the tour and would be reluctant to ever use tiredness as an excuse for a loss, but it does make a massive difference.

Had Nadal not been injured, it would likely have been him facing up to Djokovic in the other semifinal and not the limited Ferrer. It is highly unlikely that Djokovic would have beaten Nadal in straight sets. Many of their matches have been exhausting five-set affairs.

Let's imagine that it has been a long match, much like their final in Australia 2012. Would Djokovic have had the same levels of energy that he displayed against Murray in their final? Probably not.

I'm not taking anything away from Novak Djokovic. He thoroughly deserved to win his third straight title.

I just think that the very biggest matches at Grand Slam level should be competitive affairs, and the return of Nadal from injury will ensure that this occurs. 
Sounds like it's written from a Murray fan. Murray certainly was not "far the better player in the first two sets". There was little in either but if anything Djokovic shaded the first and Murray the second, with the tie-breaks going the opposite way.

But yes, the article is spot on and it's a point that has been mentioned on here. Last two majors Djokovic has had a very straightforward semi-final against an opponent who seems to bottle it.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #5132 on: February 09, 2013, 10:56 PM »

What's his name? Smile
Dan.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #5133 on: February 09, 2013, 11:52 PM »

About Andy or just in general?

From Bev's post on the last page:

Really pisses me of when people who clearly know nothing about the sport start spouting off about something or other. They shouldn't be doing this or that, when it means absolutely nothing to anything.
[/quote

Think it belongs in room 101!

Chill, people. This is just trolling in print. It doesn't necessarily reflect the columnists views, just those it wishes to tickle in the readership. All the rags encourage this, thats why I never buy them. They are the lowest form of journalism.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Articles « Reply #5134 on: February 10, 2013, 12:03 AM »

Like I've said, she's praised him in the past (and she gives away her WFA), no biggie really, just thought I'd share with you what I see.  There are other international versions of the UK press but I don't buy those, it would get rather expensive on my part.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #5135 on: February 10, 2013, 12:06 AM »

Chill, people. This is just trolling in print. It doesn't necessarily reflect the columnists views, just those it wishes to tickle in the readership. All the rags encourage this, thats why I never buy them. They are the lowest form of journalism.

Yep - that's what belongs in Room 101 - the trolling - though it would spoil the fun we have getting irate over it!
IP Logged
meglisse

Re: News Articles « Reply #5136 on: February 10, 2013, 01:07 AM »

Re Anne Widdicombe’s article.
1.   Mr Murray showed emotion on court following his loss to Federer in the Wimbledon final 2012. Not at all surprising,. He had suffered a devastating defeat. He also felt that he had let down his nation. Mr. Murray has integrity. Can I say that again? Andy Murray oozes I N T E G R I T Y.
2.   Ms Widdicome was a Member of Parliament, and a Minister of the Crown. As such, she was probably accustomed to letting down a nation on a daily basis. No tears there. In her day, I found her quite refreshingly eccentric. However, since she retired from politics, she appears to have fallen into that painfully, embarrassing group of ex MPs who have failed to acquire a satisfactory pension fund and feels the need to cavort on a public stage and touch her cap to anyone who will provide a ‘fast buck’. Hence her willingness to write articles on anything and anyone when the money is OK. There is not a scrap of integrity (note, not a capital letter in sight) in her pseudo-journalism and her ‘article’ should be dismissed as the utter drivel that it is.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: News Articles « Reply #5137 on: February 10, 2013, 10:27 AM »

http://mancunianmatters.co.uk/content/31018287-my-big-mouth-andy-murray-aint-miserable-just-misunderstood

Liked this, sorry if it's posted before...

Read the comments as well (Or did you all write those as well Smile ?!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #5138 on: February 10, 2013, 11:19 AM »

http://mancunianmatters.co.uk/content/31018287-my-big-mouth-andy-murray-aint-miserable-just-misunderstood

Thanks for posting the article flower power Smile
It should be posted in everywhere else too so that people can understand Andy..
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5139 on: February 10, 2013, 04:44 PM »

Thanks for posting fp - enjoyed the article and added my tuppence to the comments as it wasn't necessary to register.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Articles « Reply #5140 on: February 10, 2013, 04:48 PM »

What do we know about Steve Tignor? How good a writer is he? Is he a Fedtard or a Fedaltard in general?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Articles « Reply #5141 on: February 10, 2013, 05:12 PM »

I liked some of his take on here...especially the Murray and Federer ones.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/01/aussie-assessments/46212/#.URfOo_IqBbw
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5142 on: February 10, 2013, 08:44 PM »

Re Anne Widdicombe’s article.
1.   Mr Murray showed emotion on court following his loss to Federer in the Wimbledon final 2012. Not at all surprising,. He had suffered a devastating defeat. He also felt that he had let down his nation. Mr. Murray has integrity. Can I say that again? Andy Murray oozes I N T E G R I T Y.
2.   Ms Widdicome was a Member of Parliament, and a Minister of the Crown. As such, she was probably accustomed to letting down a nation on a daily basis. No tears there. In her day, I found her quite refreshingly eccentric. However, since she retired from politics, she appears to have fallen into that painfully, embarrassing group of ex MPs who have failed to acquire a satisfactory pension fund and feels the need to cavort on a public stage and touch her cap to anyone who will provide a ‘fast buck’. Hence her willingness to write articles on anything and anyone when the money is OK. There is not a scrap of integrity (note, not a capital letter in sight) in her pseudo-journalism and her ‘article’ should be dismissed as the utter drivel that it is.

Hi meglisse wave  Welcome to MW! Smile

Politicians don't know the meaning of integrity, because if they did they wouldn't want to enter politics in the first place, and Ann Widdicombe has blatantly contradicted herself about Andy's reaction to losing GS finals, so nothing new there.   I didn't find her too bad either when she was in office because she could give as good as she got, but I have no time for people like her who constantly ram their own strong and very often completely biased opinions down everyone's throats, and journalists are very good at it, probably because they feel 'safe' hiding behind their computers.

IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: News Articles « Reply #5143 on: February 11, 2013, 09:41 AM »

http://www.andymurray.com/

Not really an article, but on his website;  Andy is in Miami! Nice weather....
[ Last edit by flowerpower February 11, 2013, 09:49 AM ] IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5144 on: February 11, 2013, 10:35 AM »

http://www.andymurray.com/

Not really an article, but on his website;  Andy is in Miami! Nice weather....

Oh that's great news to hear. Thanks fp. Here's to a productive training block.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 342 [343] 344 345 346 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »