Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 346 [347] 348 349 350 ... 778 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 496397 times)
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Articles « Reply #5190 on: February 20, 2013, 07:44 PM »

loved reading that interview with Andrew Murray.  Can't even remember who the Miles was he was referring to. 

Do we live in the Dark Ages? lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5191 on: February 20, 2013, 07:54 PM »

Thanks for this Craig, very interesting reading! Amazing to think about the career he's had since that US Open junior win. Smile
Thanks from me too.  Strange to see him being called Andrew though. Smile   I didn't realise that Andy won this event so soon after coming back from that knee problem he had.  Incredible!

That is awesome! Really hope he wins it Very Happy
I've never heard of the other five candidates. Whistle  Good luck Andy!

If anyone wants to know about the Laureus awards are - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laureus_World_Sports_Awards

IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #5192 on: February 20, 2013, 08:11 PM »

I voted before but do not see where to vote now. Please let me know thanks LB.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: News Articles « Reply #5193 on: February 21, 2013, 12:35 AM »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/microsites/ou/open-university-story-navy-mechanic-1718082
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5194 on: February 21, 2013, 12:57 AM »

poster_oops
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5195 on: February 21, 2013, 02:19 AM »

poster_oops
Nigel has a weird sense of humour ... Very Happy
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #5196 on: February 21, 2013, 05:30 AM »

Me too! That's why I feel he has more chances of winning w00t
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #5197 on: February 21, 2013, 07:34 AM »

Brilliant interview Craig, thanx so much clap
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5198 on: February 21, 2013, 07:37 AM »

Thanks from me too.  Strange to see him being called Andrew though. Smile   I didn't realise that Andy won this event so soon after coming back from that knee problem he had.  Incredible!

If anyone wants to know about the Laureus awards are - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laureus_World_Sports_Awards

I really enjoyed reading that article from after the Junior US Open, with the added dynamic of knowing what did happen next. 

Of the other Laureus nominees, I know Gabby Douglas.  She's a big star in the world of gymnastics, and while I didn't recognise Ye Shiwen by name, I was able to guess who she was when I knew she was a Chinese swimmer.  She's the 16 year old who got that great time, prompting an American  coach to question it, in turn prompting the swimming community to point out that all great swimmers see big improvements in their times at that age and to stop being a sore loser! Whistle

I had to check who the others were. Embarassed

I see from that Wiki link that Kevin Spacey has presented the awards in the past.  If he does it again this year he'll probably just give the award to Andy.  In fact, he might win them all!  yay

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5199 on: February 21, 2013, 05:54 PM »

Me too! That's why I feel he has more chances of winning w00t
What I was meaning is that people tend to know only those who do well in the sports that they follow.

I really enjoyed reading that article from after the Junior US Open, with the added dynamic of knowing what did happen next. 

Of the other Laureus nominees, I know Gabby Douglas.  She's a big star in the world of gymnastics, and while I didn't recognise Ye Shiwen by name, I was able to guess who she was when I knew she was a Chinese swimmer.  She's the 16 year old who got that great time, prompting an American  coach to question it, in turn prompting the swimming community to point out that all great swimmers see big improvements in their times at that age and to stop being a sore loser! Whistle
Thanks for the info about Gabby.  And now that you mention it, I do remember that Chinese swimmer and the furore she caused when she won two golds at the Olympics.  Because of her tremendous strength (she could swim faster than some of the leading male swimmers) not only was the finger pointed at PEDs but also her true gender, which has been questioned in the past, whilst her supporters' explanation was that her successes were the result of years of brutal intensive training in a Chinese sporting boot camp.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: News Articles « Reply #5200 on: February 21, 2013, 10:28 PM »

Nigel has a weird sense of humour ... Very Happy

Well, let's face it, Andy Murray the Open University student is doing a hell of a lot more than Andy Murray the tennis player at the moment. God, this is tedious.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5201 on: February 21, 2013, 10:32 PM »

Well, let's face it, Andy Murray the Open University student is doing a hell of a lot more than Andy Murray the tennis player at the moment. God, this is tedious.
Come & join me and Robbie at the Maho beach bar, Nigel.
It's fun.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #5202 on: February 21, 2013, 11:11 PM »

Murray, Henman sign up for Rally Against Cancer

Andy Murray and Tim Henman played each other four times as their careers overlapped, Murray winning three of them in what was a rather obvious passing of the baton, in British tennis at least. With Henman playing golf several times a week, the two men have not set foot on a court together since but that will be rectified this summer as they join forces to help Ross Hutchins in his fight against Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, a form of cancer.

Hutchins, who together with Colin Fleming finished just one spot away from a place in the season-ending Word Tour finals for the top eight doubles pair, is in the middle of his chemotherapy treatment, which is being carried out at London’s Royal Marsden Hospital.

To highlight the great work being done there, for Hutchins and numerous other cancer sufferers, Murray and Henman are to take part in Rally Against Cancer, an exhibition doubles event to be held at London’s Queen’s Club on finals day of the Aegon Championships, Sunday June 16. Money raised on the day will go towards The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity, which supports The Royal Marsden Hospital. Both Murray, one of Hutchins’ closest friends, and Henman said they had not needed asking twice.

“As soon as Ross starting talking about the idea, I knew I wanted to get involved,” Murray said. “We want to make it a day to remember, so we are talking to a few celebrities, who love their tennis, about coming down and getting involved on the day. I’m looking forward to helping raise as much money and awareness as possible so the charity can continue the amazing work it does, which I’ve heard all about through Ross.”

Henman, who retired in 2007, said he was looking forward to being back on a big stage. “This is a great idea and a great cause, and I’m happy to have been asked to take part,” he said. “It will be fun to go out on the Centre Court at The Queen’s Club again, and for the first time with Andy. Most importantly, it’s an opportunity to raise money for The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity which supports the hospital that is treating Ross and makes such a difference to so many people. I’m sure everyone involved in tennis and on the day will get behind it to raise as much money as possible.”

Hutchins may yet take part in the on-court festivities, depending on his treatment, but the Englishman said raising money was the most important thing. “Ever since I was diagnosed and began treatment at The Royal Marsden hospital I have wanted to do something to raise money for them to thank them for their kindness,” he said.

“It is an unbelievable place that helps thousands of people in situations similar to mine. I’d had the idea of running a tennis event, and was approached by Chris Kermode, the Tournament Director (at Queen’s) and the team at the LTA, who suggested doing something after the final of the Aegon Championships at The Queen’s Club. I thought it was a great idea. I then asked Andy (Murray), and straight away he said he was up for it, that he would love to play for the charity. Now Tim has said he will play, too, which is fantastic. It’s going to be a really great day and for a charity that helps a lot of people and obviously one that means a lot to me.”

For each finals day ticket purchased, £10 will go directly to The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity. The LTA will also give £10 for every ace hit during the tournament and there will be an auction set up to raise further money. Further donations can be made directly and at any time by going to:

http://www.justgiving.com/RallyAgainstCancer2013. Or, contributions can be made via text message by sending  ”RALL60 £10″ to 70070, to make, for example, a £10 donation.

http://www.thetennisspace.com/murray-henman-sign-up-for-rally-against-cancer/
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #5203 on: February 22, 2013, 12:23 AM »

Murray, Henman sign up for Rally Against Cancer

http://www.justgiving.com/RallyAgainstCancer2013. Or, contributions can be made via text message by sending  ”RALL60 £10″ to 70070, to make, for example, a £10 donation.

http://www.thetennisspace.com/murray-henman-sign-up-for-rally-against-cancer/

Thanks for that Dani. It should be a good occasion - great to see Tim & Andy together, and those celebrities will be queuing up to take part!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5204 on: February 22, 2013, 12:28 AM »

What a fantastic event! Hope Ross manages to make an appearance too, that would be the icing on the cake.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 346 [347] 348 349 350 ... 778 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »