Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 1 Member and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 347 [348] 349 350 351 ... 743 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 449248 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5205 on: February 22, 2013, 02:01 AM »

Well, let's face it, Andy Murray the Open University student is doing a hell of a lot more than Andy Murray the tennis player at the moment. God, this is tedious.
I agree, it's one  big yawn  The thing is that we've got used to Andy playing at least one tournie between the AO and IW.

Murray, Henman sign up for Rally Against Cancer

http://www.justgiving.com/RallyAgainstCancer2013. Or, contributions can be made via text message by sending  ”RALL60 £10″ to 70070, to make, for example, a £10 donation.

http://www.thetennisspace.com/murray-henman-sign-up-for-rally-against-cancer/
That sounds excellent and I do hope Ross can take part.  Let's hope too that, as the article says, this will inspire Andy to win Queens, although I think he'll be inspired enough anyway.  I'd love to go, but a donation will have to do.  I reckon you really have to be in cancer treatment centres like The Royal Marsden, whether as a patient or in another role, to fully appreciate the work that they do.

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #5206 on: February 22, 2013, 09:01 AM »

What I was meaning is that people tend to know only those who do well in the sports that they follow.

poster_oops
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #5207 on: February 22, 2013, 02:11 PM »

More on his support for Rally Against Cancer (from Andy's FB today):

I'm looking forward to supporting my mate Ross Hutchins this year at Queen's tournament in the ‘Rally Against Cancer'. We're working hard trying to get a few celebrities involved as well, so it should be a great day and we should be able to raise plenty of money for the Royal Marsden Cancer Charity, a great cause.

If you don’t want to wait till the championships you can start supporting the event today by donating at http://www.justgiving.com/RallyAgainstCancer2013, more details to follow nearer the time, have a great weekend!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5208 on: February 23, 2013, 01:55 AM »

poster_oops
I wasn't slapping you down Zarfeen as I think my sarcasm just got a bit lost on you. Smile

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #5209 on: February 23, 2013, 06:33 AM »

I wasn't slapping you down Zarfeen as I think my sarcasm just got a bit lost on you. Smile

Okey, Ail Smile
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #5210 on: February 23, 2013, 09:05 PM »

Ivan Lendl will be playing in Hong Kong soon, and was interviewed by South China Morning Post while he was driving (with Andy sitting next to him in the passenger seat..after an early morning training session.)

http://www.scmp.com/sport/tennis/article/1157135/ivan-terribly-nice-guy

Ivan the terribly nice guy

Lendl, once the most feared player in the world, is now enjoying success as coach of grand slam winner Andy Murray

"No need for apologies," says Ivan Lendl over the phone. The Sunday Morning Post has been offering them profusely since picking up his call. The previous day, the eight-time grand slam champion and one of the game's most dominant players in the 1980s, had rung for an arranged interview only to find us at a dinner engagement and unable to take the call. A champion and a gentleman, he simply said, "No worries", and called back the next day.

Not many sportspeople, let alone superstars, would be so gracious.

Miscommunication from the PR team of the BNP Paribas Showdown at the Asia-World Expo on March 4 led to the embarrassing situation on Monday night. The following day, Lendl is driving back after an early-morning training session in Florida with Andy Murray, who is in the front passenger seat.

We don't know if he is on the car's speakerphone but we ask what he thinks of Roger Federer's assertion that Murray is a bigger threat now that he is a grand slam winner thanks to Lendl's guidance. "Thank you for the compliment Roger," quips Lendl. "But Andy was dangerous even before I got involved with him. But it is still nice to hear that he has become even more dangerous under me."

The former world No 1 became Murray's coach just over a year ago. In that time he has instilled in the Scot the iron discipline that marked his own illustrious career and it has led to a marked improvement, especially in results at major events. Murray won his first grand slam title at the US Open last September, becoming the first Briton to do so in 76 years, as well as Olympic gold a few weeks earlier in London.

Federer was commenting before their semi-final clash at the opening grand slam this year, last month's Australian Open. Murray, who beat Federer in the Olympics final, beat the Swiss master again to reach the final against Novak Djokovic, which he lost in a thrilling five-setter.

"I was both pleased as well as disappointed at the Australian Open," says Lendl. "When you enter a tournament you want to win it. That is the ultimate goal but at the same time you have to realise that you cannot win every time.

"It was disappointing Andy couldn't quite finish it off but what was pleasing was that he played well throughout the tournament. In particular, his match against Federer was very good."

The relationship between guru and pupil is going well. Lendl puts it down to the work ethic of the Scot. "He is a hard worker, just like me. It is working for both of us and it is pretty simple. We both want to do it," Lendl says.

We wonder what Murray must be thinking, hearing this one-sided conversation.

Lendl will meet longtime rival John McEnroe in a pro-set match at next month's exhibition, which will coincide with the International Tennis Federation's inaugural World Tennis Day on March 4. China's first grand slam winner, Li Na, and former world No 1 Caroline Wozniacki will also feature in a best-of-three-sets match.

Lendl is looking forward to coming back to Hong Kong for more than one reason. Of course, he would like to get the better of McEnroe. "We played against each other three times last October and he won that 2-1", but he is also looking forward to returning to the city where it all began for him.

"Hong Kong is where I won one of my first ATP tournaments in my career, back in 1980, and I have very fond memories. Perhaps what I remember most was coming in to land at the airport, it looked very dangerous. I heard there is a new airport now."

Lendl, who was then still representing Czechoslovakia (he became a US citizen in 1992), defeated American Brian Teacher in the final of a US$75,000 tournament at Victoria Park. He continued coming to Hong Kong regularly but his last visit was in 1992 at the Marlboro Tennis Championship.

"Hong Kong was still under British rule then. It has been a long time, more than 20 years, since I last came and I'm looking forward to seeing all the changes. I heard it is quite different today."

The world is indeed different today. In his day, there was hardly a whiff of drug use in tennis. Now, there is growing belief that it is widespread in the sport. Does he agree?

"There is no evidence that is the case. I think a lot of the panic stems from what has been happening in other sports, and especially the Lance Armstrong case. This is affecting all other sports, too," says Lendl.

He remembers that in 1994, the year he retired, at 34, drug testing was just being introduced.

"I was tested twice out of competition. I know that there have been calls for more out-of-competition testing to be done these days and that Roger Federer has called for biological passports, but I really don't know what is the best way to catch the cheats. But it is always good to ensure that the sport is clean."

IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #5211 on: February 23, 2013, 09:24 PM »

Loved reading this linda, dont know what it is bout Ivan but i really like him, aside from loving him for helping Andy i just really like his dry sense of humour
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #5212 on: February 23, 2013, 09:34 PM »

Really interesting interview,thanks for posting Scotnadian Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5213 on: February 24, 2013, 02:51 AM »

Loved reading this linda, dont know what it is bout Ivan but i really like him, aside from loving him for helping Andy i just really like his dry sense of humour
I think Lendl would be a fascinating person to meet and get to know.  Andy is so lucky in more ways than one, but then, he deserves it.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #5214 on: February 24, 2013, 02:54 AM »

I'd love to have dinner with Ivan & Andy. Could have such an interesting conversation with them.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #5215 on: February 24, 2013, 03:39 AM »

I'd love to have dinner with Ivan & Andy. Could have such an interesting conversation with them.

I would like a separate dinner with Andy Wink
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5216 on: February 24, 2013, 04:11 AM »

I would like a separate dinner with Andy Wink

He can drive you home.  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #5217 on: February 24, 2013, 05:43 AM »