Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 ... 773 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 490826 times)
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: News Articles « Reply #5310 on: March 01, 2013, 08:17 AM »

http://www.justgiving.com/RallyAgainstCancer2013

Still 99% to go
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5311 on: March 01, 2013, 09:30 AM »

I wish to donate to Ross's cancer fund.

However, my difficulty is from experience, I do not totally trust paying via Just Giving. I understand that a small percentage of funds donated to any charity via this route is subject to deduction prior to passing on to the noted charity.

Can anyone confirm or refute my understanding?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #5312 on: March 01, 2013, 10:55 AM »

Very interesting post, Elena. Sounds amazing!

You say you played a gig? Are you a singer/musician?

Thanks Linda! I'm a flute player, mostly teacher these days. Knowing what it takes to reach a reasonably high standard on an instrument does mean I think I can really appreciate what Andy has had to do to reach no 3 in the world in his profession. Musicians have to put in the daily individual practice, trying to perfect skills, but then rarely have someone trying to sabotage everything come the performance! I can also understand days where everything seems to work effortlessly, and others when it all seems really hard work!

The night I played at the Waterside was fun - they were re-creating a turn of the century dinner from 1899, so I had to go out and hire an appropriate costume.

I wish to donate to Ross's cancer fund.

However, my difficulty is from experience, I do not totally trust paying via Just Giving. I understand that a small percentage of funds donated to any charity via this route is subject to deduction prior to passing on to the noted charity.

Can anyone confirm or refute my understanding?

Yes they do take a fee, but they also provide a very good service, making it really easy to donate, which benefits both parties.  If you go to the Just Giving page there is a link down on the right hand side, which it explains it all.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5313 on: March 01, 2013, 06:35 PM »

Thanks Linda! I'm a flute player, mostly teacher these days. Knowing what it takes to reach a reasonably high standard on an instrument does mean I think I can really appreciate what Andy has had to do to reach no 3 in the world in his profession. Musicians have to put in the daily individual practice, trying to perfect skills, but then rarely have someone trying to sabotage everything come the performance! I can also understand days where everything seems to work effortlessly, and others when it all seems really hard work!

The night I played at the Waterside was fun - they were re-creating a turn of the century dinner from 1899, so I had to go out and hire an appropriate costume.
Good analogy about practising and perfecting skills. I shamefully admit to not having picked up my fiddle in forever because it was so frustrating to learn. I really should use Andy as an inspiration.
The 1899 recreation dinner sounds great!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5314 on: March 01, 2013, 06:44 PM »

No idea, Iona. Do they have to be there in person?
Maybe someone else here knows?

Yes you do have to get it in person (though it can also be done via a county high sheriff or something ie you don't have to go to Buck House though I'm sure Andy will if he can).  The investitures go on for some time after the announcement and I guess he could always pop back from the continent if there were a suitable date during the clay court season. 
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5315 on: March 01, 2013, 08:06 PM »

Really long article about several sportspeople, so I've just copied the part about Andy.
Good stuff, although I'd personally disagree about 007 Daniel Craig not beeing cool. Whistle

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/mar/01/joy-of-six-cool-sports-stars

The Joy of Six: cool sports stars

5) Andy Murray

James Bond is not cool. Andy Murray is cool. Sure, Bond has a magnetism and a charm, and he's well presented and all, but that's something else – looking immaculate means taking time to look immaculate. Or in other words, James Bond tries harder to be cool than anyone ever tried to do anything, and that is not cool. Conversely, Andy Murray tries his arse off at playing tennis, and that is highly cool. The traditional view has this the other way around: pushing yourself to do important stuff is passé, but looking the part neutralises every joule of energy expended on its behalf. This is nonsense: cool, and aesthetic cool in particular, must be effortless if at all possible, and no one tries less hard at either than Andy Murray.

So, it doesn't matter that his caps are rubbish, his outfit a mess and his trainers an embarrassment; he suffuses and supplants both with proper, uncompromising attitude. It's not just accidentally calling an umpire a naughty couplet, though it was tricky to avoid enjoying that, but the refusal to donate a solitary copulation to anything but playing magnificent, majestic tennis.

His unwillingness to cultivate the remotest persona, appearing only as himself and loth to toss even a single bone at a slavering press corps, reflects the integrity of a true non-conformist. So, after earning a place in his first Wimbledon final and asked "what can it possibly be like for your parents?" he responded as he felt: "I'm not really that bothered. It's a lot harder for me, that's for sure." Equally, he'd rather not knock-up because "you don't spar before you box", winning his first grand slam was "nice", and securing a second immediately afterwards "is not the easiest thing to do".

There's a Yiddish word, davkanik – it doesn't translate directly, but means 'a person who does stuff just because', the only motivation being the capacity to aggravate others. It's one that people have, in the past, been keen to ascribe to Murray, but mistakenly – he's just as close to normal as it's possible to be when handling a talent so thoroughly abnormal. His cool is underpinned by an unspoiled character, which, when you consider the vacuous celebrity of so many of his contemporaries – even those who profess specifically otherwise – is very cool indeed, especially given the magnitude of his achievements. Reverse snobbery sometimes declares him inauthentic, but the reality is that he's just not arsed about satisfying an imagined community that means nothing to him. As long as the people he cares about are happy and he's beating the best tennis players in the world, well, what else is there?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #5316 on: March 01, 2013, 08:15 PM »

Yes our Andy is a Diamond a rough diamond and I would not want him any other way. Why should he, he is great as he is and why should he satisfy all those snobs at the LTA. He is himself a great tennis player who berates himself at times. This is because he strives for perfection and he is his own harshes critic. Andy stirs our hearts and we wish only the best for him.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5317 on: March 01, 2013, 09:31 PM »

And I hope he never changes. I wouldn't want him to be another arrogant fed or showy Novak or insincere nadal. He's great down to earth and humorous who knows what's really important.

Btw. Daniel Craig is not cool to me he looks like an old man.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: News Articles « Reply #5318 on: March 01, 2013, 09:32 PM »

Andy Murray is a special talent, sure he is a rough diamond but that's why he has so many passionate fans, he is not a PR machine, he does not play to the cameras, smooz the media or perform antics to make himself popular on the court.  He is polite, courteous and a credit to the strong family unit that nurtured him.  He cherishes those closest to him, conducts himself in an exemplary fashion and is so uber talented it can take your breath away.  He is by far and a mile the best British tennis player in the Open Era and the most successful Scottish sportsperson.

I like the rough edges, I like his non-conformity, I like his shyness, I 100% love his work ethic and his talent and success, and finally I totally love the fact he is often viewed as a dour scot nope he ain't dour but he is Scottish and it just goes with the territory.

Let's hope 2013 is the year of the MURRAY MAN.......
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5319 on: March 01, 2013, 09:34 PM »

Andy Murray is a special talent, sure he is a rough diamond but that's why he has so many passionate fans, he is not a PR machine, he does not play to the cameras, smooz the media or perform antics to make himself popular on the court.  He is polite, courteous and a credit to the strong family unit that nurtured him.  He cherishes those closest to him, conducts himself in an exemplary fashion and is so uber talented it can take your breath away.  He is by far and a mile the best British tennis player in the Open Era and the most successful Scottish sportsperson.

I like the rough edges, I like his non-conformity, I like his shyness, I 100% love his work ethic and his talent and success, and finally I totally love the fact he is often viewed as a dour scot nope he ain't dour but he is Scottish and it just goes with the territory.

I'll second all of that!  hug
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #5320 on: March 01, 2013, 10:36 PM »

clap clap Good posting!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5321 on: March 02, 2013, 01:23 AM »

Well said, MM.  cmon yeah
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #5322 on: March 02, 2013, 12:35 PM »

Beautifully put, great post MM.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #5323 on: March 02, 2013, 12:48 PM »

Very well written, MM. clap
Thank you for such a lovely post. Smile
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #5324 on: March 02, 2013, 01:27 PM »

And I hope he never changes. I wouldn't want him to be another arrogant fed or showy Novak or insincere nadal. He's great down to earth and humorous who knows what's really important.

Btw. Daniel Craig is not cool to me he looks like an old man.
Nadal insincere?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 ... 773 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »