Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 362 [363] 364 365 366 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 468374 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #5430 on: March 13, 2013, 12:18 PM »

I think they mean Nirvana! 

Los Angeles Tim???

Is that a wee Celtic fan who lives in Hollywood? Lol  Smile
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #5431 on: March 13, 2013, 12:47 PM »

Los Angeles Tim???

Is that a wee Celtic fan who lives in Hollywood? Lol  Smile
  Probably the Big Yin, actually!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5432 on: March 14, 2013, 04:40 PM »

From Laureus Sport twitter ...

Laureus World Breakthrough of the Year 2013 is @andy_murray

Congrats Andy.
Just found out about this.  I'm so very, very happy for him that he's received this international recognition which is richly deserved. wub yay

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #5433 on: March 15, 2013, 10:00 AM »

Andy Murray says in-fighting at the LTA must stop

It is probably fair to say that, having grown up outside the system and seen its failings as he has developed into a champion, Andy Murray is not the biggest fan of the Lawn Tennis Association.

Roger Draper's announcement that he is to step down as chief executive in September was greeted with delight by those who felt he had failed in his pledge to produce top players and spread the game at grassroots, while commanding an eye-watering salary.

But Murray knows how difficult it is to breed winners and get people to play the sport and believes the nub of the problem is the constant back-stabbing and in-fighting inside the LTA. If things are to improve, Murray says, that has to stop.

"There are a lot of great people in British tennis," Murray explained as he prepared to face Juan Martin Del Potro today in the quarter-finals of the BNP Paribas Open. "None of them sees eye to eye and none of them speaks to each other. I think if everyone got in a room and actually was mature about it and gave their opinions and put them across, I think they could come up with pretty good solutions."

"I think it's important to make sure that you get all of those people – guys who have been at the top of the game, coaches who have produced players, try to get them involved, try to get that passion back," he said.

"And from their side – because I've seen it and I've read about it – just stop the negativity and, like, do something constructive with your ideas instead of just panning the LTA. It doesn't really work."

As thoughts turned to who might succeed Draper, who was paid £640,000, including a bonus of £200,000, the name of Judy Murray was suggested in some quarters. A smile came across Murray's lips. "She won't be doing that job," he said.

Murray said he expected the new chief to be British just because they need to genuinely care about tennis in the country to succeed. But though he ruled out Judy, he admitted she might be a good person to discuss how things can be improved.

"Her No.1 strength is working with kids," he said. "She doesn't have a place just to work out of in Scotland and we've obviously developed decent players; we've got three players playing here – my brother [Jamie], Colin [Fleming] and myself were all from one tiny little area in Scotland.

"She knows what it takes to set up a programme that's going to work for young kids so I think that's where her input would be most valuable. She speaks with the LTA a lot, she still does bits and pieces for them and obviously with the Fed Cup and stuff, she's still involved. It's a pretty big role she has anyway."

Murray said he would be happy to talk to the LTA if it felt he could be useful, especially in terms of how to train and produce players, but said he does not know too much about how to improve participation at grassroots.

The world No.3 said there were probably too many people working at the LTA but said the key was that everyone involved should be open enough to work together for the greater good.

"There needs to be a willingness from the personnel, really, to want to do it," he said. "If they do, then that's great because we have good coaches, we have players who were solid pros who weren't necessarily unbelievably talented but guys who have made the most of their games, and I think they can all help.

"I don't know the perfect solution, I don't think anyone does, but it will be interesting to see which route they go down because it's obviously a big decision."

Murray leads Del Potro 5-1 in their head-to-heads but surprisingly they have not played since 2009.

"I've played well against him in the past," Murray said. "I think my game against the bigger guys has worked well; using a lot of variety and being able to put the ball in awkward positions for them. But if I don't play well or use that style well on the day, then I'm not going to win."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/tennis/andy-murray-says-in-fighting-at-the-lta-must-stop.20490647
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5434 on: March 15, 2013, 10:32 AM »

Thanks dani.  Good to see Andy reflecting on future of LTA in a mature and sane way.  They'd be stupid not to seek his advice.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #5435 on: March 15, 2013, 11:54 AM »

Andy Murray says in-fighting at the LTA must stop

I'm very impressed by what Andy has to say about the LTA in this, thanks for posting it Dani. I love how he puts his views across in a mature way, and airs his opinions, but is also very diplomatic.

Andy has quite clearly not been the LTA's biggest fan, but I think he's right in what he had to say. How on earth are they ever going to get anything done if they are fighting amongst themselves?

It's interesting that Andy rules out Judy for Roger Draper's job. I can see where he is coming from, but I also think she would have been good at it. That said, I'd love to see Mark Petchey take it on. He seems to have a clear idea of what needs to change in the LTA, and he comes over as being strong enough to bang heads together to get the changes in place. He seems to have ruled himself out though, so we'll see.

The LTA would be barking mad not to involve Andy, especially in areas like training and player development. Andy knows what he is talking about because he is in it, so he knows what it it takes.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #5436 on: March 15, 2013, 01:40 PM »

presumably Andy has ruled Judy out with a smile because she's told him she wouldn't touch the poisoned chalice with a bargepole (to mix my metaphors).  It's good to see Andy emerging as a sensible commentator on the state of British tennis.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #5437 on: March 15, 2013, 03:28 PM »

When Andy retires (yes.. that sad day is inevitable Frown) I'm sure he's going to have a great deal of input in the future of British tennis.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5438 on: March 15, 2013, 04:32 PM »

When Andy retires (yes.. that sad day is inevitable Frown) I'm sure he's going to have a great deal of input in the future of British tennis.

I agree I imagine that he might well be in line for the job in the future. Folks will listen to him, with his Gold Medal, Grand Slam(s) and other titles. Not to mention coaching - passing on his work ethic and Lendl's advice. Much more suitable than commentating, (although I imagine he won't avoid it all together).
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #5439 on: March 15, 2013, 05:47 PM »

I think the LTA needs someone with a lot of common sense. I also think the it needs a good clean out and new staff to get rid of all the cobwebs. A new start and a change in attitudes toward young people who need good advice and training to progress in the sport.I think the myth that only the upper and middle classes are the one interested in playing tennis. Judy Murray is great with kids and encourages them to get started in tennis she makes it fun and interesting for kids. Perhaps Mark Petchey would be good I am sure he knows all the ins and outs of the game. More regional indoor courts are required that would be a good step forward how can Spain produce all those good players and we can't. It is a pity that Andy for one went to Spain because he knew he would get nowhere here. It amazes me the hostility shown towards him in the upper levels of tennis he is what is needed to inspire young players. Attitudes need to change to make British Tennis more successful,if it doesn't then there will be no further players like Andy Murray.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #5440 on: March 15, 2013, 08:26 PM »

Listening to Kevin Spacey on BNP Paribas Open radio,the interviewer said something like "Well,it really happened,we have to pinch ourselves about it sometimes,but Andy is a Grand Slam champion'' and straightaway,Kevin replied ''He is.And he will be again."

Love how sweet and supportive he is!  clap  wub
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #5441 on: March 15, 2013, 08:47 PM »

What  horrible thought.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #5442 on: March 15, 2013, 08:51 PM »

Listening to Kevin Spacey on BNP Paribas Open radio,the interviewer said something like "Well,it really happened,we have to pinch ourselves about it sometimes,but Andy is a Grand Slam champion'' and straightaway,Kevin replied ''He is.And he will be again."

Love how sweet

and supportive he is!  clap  wub

Yeah he loves oor Andy I'm surprised he doesn't post on here Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #5443 on: March 15, 2013, 09:46 PM »

Yeah he loves oor Andy I'm surprised he doesn't post on here Smile
perhaps he does - he'd hardly use his real name . I think I've suggested before we should make him hon president as he's a real Andy groupie  w00t
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #5444 on: March 16, 2013, 11:27 AM »

I cant even think about that, my light will go out then. My eyes are watering just typing this line. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 362 [363] 364 365 366 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »