Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 387 [388] 389 390 391 ... 640 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Articles  (Read 354065 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5805 on: April 23, 2013, 01:45 PM »

Andy Murray will pick up £1.6million this summer if he becomes the first British men’s winner of Wimbledon for 77 years.

The All England Club today announced a staggering £22.6m prize fund — the biggest of any of the four Grand Slams — for this year’s Championships, which start on Monday June 24.

The players’ pot has gone up by £6.5m, or 40 per cent, from last year, which is the largest single increase in the history of professional tennis.

And, as expected, organisers today confirmed they will put a roof on No1 court in time for the 2019 Championships.

The 2013 singles champions will pocket £1.6m, a £450,000 increase on the £1.15m banked by Roger Federer and Serena Williams last year. There is also a substantial increase for early-round losers.

The announcement follows extensive discussions between the star performers and Grand Slam organisers to try and ensure players share more of the money generated by the major tournaments.Wimbledon has now eclipsed the US Open, which will offer around £22m prize money when Murray defends his title starting on August 26. However, the prize money is likely to exceed £33m by 2017.

The Australian Open’s prize fund in January was £20.3m, including £1.64m for the singles winners.

The French Open singles winners will get £1.3m — a rise of 20 per cent on 2012 — while second, third and fourth-round losers will earn 25 per cent more.

In July last year, the All England Club announced that from 2015 the dates of Wimbledon will move back by one week (June 29-July 12) to create a three-week gap between the French Open and Wimbledon.

Philip Brook, chairman of the All England Club and the Championships, said today: “I would like to thank all those whose contribution to Wimbledon’s success both on and off court has today enabled us to announce these significant levels of investment in the Championships.

“For the players, it is a deep appreciation of the demanding nature of professional tennis and the top-quality entertainment they bring, while for the Championships it is about giving all of our visitors the finest stage on which to enjoy Wimbledon.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/other-sports/andy-murrays-16m-wimbledon-bonanza----if-he-can-win-8584446.html
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #5806 on: April 23, 2013, 02:36 PM »

Has anyone seen the ridiculous suggestion by Guy Forget on Europsort?  He suggests that the rankings are waived for the seedings at RG and that Nadal is seeded so that he does not meet Nole until the final.  This would probably mean that Ferrer, who has worked so hard for his ranking would be relegated to 5.  Andy could also be demoted just to help Nadal.  I just wonder what your thinking is on this suggestion?

I heard about this and also think it's a ridiculous idea - I doubt whether it'll be implemented though. Not only is it patently not fair on Ferrer, but it would also show huge bias towards Nadal over every other player who's been out injured before and had their ranking suffer as a result. The most obvious recent example is Del Potro - he played the Australian Open 2011, his first slam back after the injury break, with a ranking of 236. He had a protected ranking which got him into the main draw, but made no difference in terms of seeding - he played the tournament unseeded. In the French Open that year, his ranking was up to 26; he lost to Djokovic in the 3rd round - I'm sure if RG had changed his seeding position, then he'd have advanced further in the draw. There shouldn't be one rule for Rafa and another for other players, no matter how many times Rafa's won Roland Garros.

If they change the seedings, they'd have to apply it to all players using a formula similar to what Wimbledon uses for grass and not just bump Rafa up one place in the rankings. I don't think Rafa is really that bothered about being seeded 5 though - if he'd wanted to be seeded 4 at RG, he'd have played Miami.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #5807 on: April 23, 2013, 05:10 PM »

But in reality Nole and Rafa are the best players on clay at the mo. and I suspect that would be the final most of the public would like to see. It's possible too with the present seedings that  that Nole, Fed and Rafa could end up in the same side of the draw which would be bizarre.
B4 Rafnole I always thought draws were rigged to get Fedal finals anyway. Money talks.
And Wimbledon uses its own formula so it's possible Nole won't be No 1, though it'd be a travesty if he was No 3.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5808 on: April 23, 2013, 05:16 PM »

If Rafa and Nole are the best players on clay then by that definition they should both reach the finals!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #5809 on: April 23, 2013, 05:30 PM »

But in reality Nole and Rafa are the best players on clay at the mo. and I suspect that would be the final most of the public would like to see. It's possible too with the present seedings that  that Nole, Fed and Rafa could end up in the same side of the draw which would be bizarre.
B4 Rafnole I always thought draws were rigged to get Fedal finals anyway. Money talks.
And Wimbledon uses its own formula so it's possible Nole won't be No 1, though it'd be a travesty if he was No 3.

They are the best players on clay but I don't think the seedings should be altered to reflect that - especially when it's not been done before at RG. It wouldn't be my choice of a favourite final, but probably a lot of tennis fans would like to see it - I'd find it more interesting as a QF match tbh. I'll be really surprised if Novak and Rafa do end up playing before the final though - if I had to bet on it, I'd bet on Rafa being in Ferrer's quarter.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Articles « Reply #5810 on: April 23, 2013, 05:48 PM »

How would anyone feel about Andy winning RG this year and not Wimbledon?

As you can see, I meant just this year. Because if Andy goes on to win RG, Wimbledon will be heavily compromised since it's only in two weeks’ time after RG. I am fairly sure Andy will go on to win Wimbledon in the coming years and perhaps he will win more than once. He loves that Slam - has to be his most favourite Slam.

Anyway, I think we should be ready for any kind of results this year though - as long as he gets a Slam.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #5811 on: April 23, 2013, 06:03 PM »

Has anyone seen the ridiculous suggestion by Guy Forget on Europsort?  He suggests that the rankings are waived for the seedings at RG and that Nadal is seeded so that he does not meet Nole until the final.  This would probably mean that Ferrer, who has worked so hard for his ranking would be relegated to 5.  Andy could also be demoted just to help Nadal.  I just wonder what your thinking is on this suggestion?

I'm not sure I can say what my thinking is in all honesty. If I said exactly what I think it would be rude. I think the suggestion is really quite offensive, to Andy, to Ferrer, not to mention any other injured player who has had to work their butt off to get back to their pre-injury position.

Personally I never like these situations where people assume they know who the public want to see in a final. I don't like being told who I want to see. I also don't like to see past players coming out with this sort of idea. They aren't any more neutral than the public, their views are bound to be coloured by who they like to watch.

I felt at MC there was a certain amount of ensuring who would make the final, but to have that sort of thing in a major, essentially the show-piece tournaments for the game, wouldn't make the game look good at all.

I don't see why Nadal should be favoured in this way, someone will suggest he gets a bye to the final next, although with some of the draws he's had over the years you could say he effectively almost has. Seriously though, Nadal is brilliant on clay, so let him, and Djokovic for that matter, prove it by getting to the final regardless of how they are seeded. If they are that good, or rather, if they play well, they'll get there regardless of who is in front of them.

Over recent years Wimbledon appears to have moved away from using past performance on grass as a guide for seeding. Nowadays it seems, if I recall rightly, much more based on ranking, which to my mind is how it should be. All the tournaments should use the rankings as an indicator, and that shouldn't be messed with for anyone, regardless of how many titles on a surface they have.

If they did introduce this I'd support Ferrer and Andy in telling the tournament organisors exactly where they can shove it.

IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5812 on: April 23, 2013, 06:47 PM »

Nadal and Novaks draw will ensure they meet in the final so I don't know what all the fuss is about.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5813 on: April 23, 2013, 06:50 PM »

The only way to ensure that Rafa wouldn't meet Novak until the final is to seed them 1 and 2.  To do that would be showing total bias to one player and I don't think any seeding committee would be stupid enough to do that no matter how important they feel a player is to their tournament.  I can just imagine Fed's reaction if Rafa were to be seeded above him - hmmmm!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5814 on: April 23, 2013, 07:45 PM »

I always thought they rigged the draws to make sure that people are in the relevant half anyway.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Articles « Reply #5815 on: April 23, 2013, 07:46 PM »

The draws are almost always rigged at the high level. As someone mentioned, money talks and it's all about that.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5816 on: April 23, 2013, 08:43 PM »

The draws are almost always rigged at the high level. As someone mentioned, money talks and it's all about that.

Absolutely. 
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5817 on: April 23, 2013, 09:01 PM »

My bet would be that Rafa, Andy and Ferrer will all be in one half of the draw (with Rafa and Ferrer in the same quarter) and Novak and Fed will be in the other half.  I wouldn't quite bet my house on it but almost!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Articles « Reply #5818 on: April 23, 2013, 09:10 PM »

Andy needs to avoid one - either Nadal or Nole if he does make it to the final. I'd say at this point Nadal is more vulnerable than Nole. But then again, if Andy does go on to beat Nadal by any miracle, he won’t be able to beat Nole, as he will be a bit too overwhelmed by then. Besides, it would be too tough a deal to beat two players like Nadal and Nole back to back.  And Andy has yet to play Nadal after the comeback so that’s another deal. Upsetting Nadal at any point would be quite big though and he should still be the favourite despite the MC result. RG altogether a different animal.
IP Logged
rob92
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5819 on: April 23, 2013, 10:10 PM »

If Andy beats Nadal on Clay that would do wonders to his confidence.  w00t
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 385 386 387 [388] 389 390 391 ... 640 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »