Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 388 [389] 390 391 392 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 469539 times)
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5820 on: April 23, 2013, 10:15 PM »

If Andy beats Nadal on Clay that would do wonders to his confidence.  w00t

Going to be a party pooper.  Andy has won 1 match on clay I think talk of him winning RG is just a tad premature guys.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5821 on: April 23, 2013, 11:27 PM »

Has anyone seen the ridiculous suggestion by Guy Forget on Europsort?  He suggests that the rankings are waived for the seedings at RG and that Nadal is seeded so that he does not meet Nole until the final.  This would probably mean that Ferrer, who has worked so hard for his ranking would be relegated to 5.  Andy could also be demoted just to help Nadal.  I just wonder what your thinking is on this suggestion?

I don't agree with any tournament deviating from the world rankings.  To a certain extent I can understand why Wimbledon do it - the grass season being so short.

The player to avoid at RG is still Nadal. The top 3 will not want to play him in the quarters.  I would imagine that Andy will be back to no.2 when the RG draw is done. That would mean he could get a draw of Rafa in the quarters, Federer in the semis and Djokovic in the final.  That would obviously be the nightmare scenario. Another draw could have him avoiding Rafa in the quarters, getting Ferrer in the semis and Djokovic in the final.

If anything, Rafa being moved to no.4 could benefit the top 3 players. I do think it would be wrong for RG to alter the seedings.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #5822 on: April 24, 2013, 08:47 AM »

If Andy beats Nadal on Clay that would do wonders to his confidence.  w00t

Dont think that will be happening for a few years.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #5823 on: April 24, 2013, 09:12 AM »

There's probably ways that the top three could benefit from Nadal being upgraded as it were. I just think that favouring one player like this would be unfair, and I'd say the same no matter who it was.  You can't just shift the goalposts like this, otherwise what's the point of rankings, seedings or any of it. This definitely wasn't one of Forget's better ideas, but hopefully it will stay as just an idea.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5824 on: April 24, 2013, 09:31 AM »

From reading blogs and tennis forums it seems the focus has shifted from Novak vs Andy to Rafa vs Novak as the match up people are thinking will be the new main rivalry. In one respect it's good as Andy can fly under the radar but I really hope it turns back to Novak vs Andy, or back to a triumverate of all three, i find Rafa vs Novak matches boring.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5825 on: April 24, 2013, 12:23 PM »

From reading blogs and tennis forums it seems the focus has shifted from Novak vs Andy to Rafa vs Novak as the match up people are thinking will be the new main rivalry. In one respect it's good as Andy can fly under the radar but I really hope it turns back to Novak vs Andy, or back to a triumverate of all three, i find Rafa vs Novak matches boring.
Yawn I hope Andy spoils there party!  Whistle
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Articles « Reply #5826 on: April 24, 2013, 05:34 PM »

Actually when it comes to clay, I don't see why it shouldn't be about Nadal and Nole. They are the main contenders after all. Once Wimbledon is here, they will switch to Andy and Nadal/Nole (Federer to a slight lesser extent). When it comes to USO, both Andy and Nole will be the major factors.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Articles « Reply #5827 on: April 24, 2013, 06:51 PM »

I don't agree with any tournament deviating from the world rankings.  To a certain extent I can understand why Wimbledon do it - the grass season being so short.

The player to avoid at RG is still Nadal. The top 3 will not want to play him in the quarters.  I would imagine that Andy will be back to no.2 when the RG draw is done. That would mean he could get a draw of Rafa in the quarters, Federer in the semis and Djokovic in the final.  That would obviously be the nightmare scenario. Another draw could have him avoiding Rafa in the quarters, getting Ferrer in the semis and Djokovic in the final.

If anything, Rafa being moved to no.4 could benefit the top 3 players. I do think it would be wrong for RG to alter the seedings.

I agree with this. The ranking may just go against Andy come RG so best to avoid a tougher draw than to be seeded two. I'll take it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5828 on: April 25, 2013, 12:34 AM »

I'd noticed that too.  Strange - after the USO a Novak/Andy rivalry was being widely predicted and that persisted after the AO.  Then Novak and Rafa meet in one final and suddenly it's all change.  The so-called pundits are a pretty fickle lot, and I'm fed up anyway with all the Rafa glorification we've been subjected to ever since he started his comeback from injury.  I don't like it anyway when two players constantly dominate - we had more than enough of that with Roger and Rafa.

Just how well Roger will perform for the rest of this year remains to be seen, and Rafa still has to overtake Ferrer who is currently 1,285 points ahead of him (although his present form is in doubt), so for the foreseeable future I can see a mix of players in the top five - which doesn't mean that I think anybody is going to overtake Novak as #1 anytime soon, if at all this year, despite Roger's avowed intention to get his #1 ranking back.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5829 on: April 25, 2013, 01:43 AM »

Tweet from Matt Cronin @TennisReporters

I applied Wimby's seeding formula to French regarding top 5. As of today seeds would be 1 Djokovic 2 Federer 3 Nadal 4 Ferrer 5 Murray. FAIR
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5830 on: April 25, 2013, 01:50 AM »

Tweet from Matt Cronin @TennisReporters

I applied Wimby's seeding formula to French regarding top 5. As of today seeds would be 1 Djokovic 2 Federer 3 Nadal 4 Ferrer 5 Murray. FAIR
I see nothing fair in that at all apart from Djoko and Fed.  Seeding Andy No.5 is an insult.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5831 on: April 25, 2013, 01:56 AM »

I see nothing fair in that at all apart from Djoko and Fed.  Seeding Andy No.5 is an insult.

I agree.  Just to be the clear the word 'fair' was part of the tweet.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5832 on: April 25, 2013, 01:59 AM »

I agree.  Just to be the clear the word 'fair' was part of the tweet.
I know it was.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5833 on: April 25, 2013, 02:03 AM »

I know it was.

Just making sure.  Smile
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #5834 on: April 25, 2013, 06:55 AM »

Am surprised he comes in at 5 Whistle