Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 393 [394] 395 396 397 ... 732 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 441232 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5895 on: April 30, 2013, 08:34 AM »

I think the fed fans single Andy out for their booing because he prevented Fed winning the Olympic Gold - just about the only thing missing from Fed's resumé. Definitely "an anti-Murray thing", I think. I can understand their displeasure, but the booing is inexcusable.
Fed fans have done it in other matches against other players too though.  They will have carried more resentment against Andy than most due to him always having had the ability to beat Fed, especially in his unstoppable days.   However, I agree that they would have been extra annoyed with Andy because of the Olympics, and maybe use the partisan crowd at the Olympics as an excuse.  Not that the Brits booed anyone during the Olympics, but it was a bit of a shock to Fed and his fans see the majority of the crowd wanting the other bloke to win.  I think because Andy has a positive H2H against Fed, but not Nadal or Djokovic, they don't think he deserves it, and take it as a personal slight against him.

In that respect, it's right to say it wasn't an anti-Murray thing.  It just happened to be him in that position.   Of course, Fed fans wouldn't admit that they were anti-Murray because of his wins over Fed.  They struggle to admit that even happened, lol.  They'd convince themselves he brought it on himself because or this or that, like all bullies do.

Regarding Davis Cup, I think everyone accepts that Croatia is a much tougher task than the Russian B team that was sent to Coventry.   Davis Cup is supposed to be a team sport, and in all team sports it is normal to mix up the team, so I don't think you can worry about dropping someone being bad for morale.  The key should be how well they will play at an away clash on outdoor clay against top players.  However, I do agree that Britain probably isn't ready for the World Group, so I'm torn on whether or not I want them to win in Croatia.   We really need to see more British players in the top 100 or at least 200.  James Ward is currently Britain's number 2, but World number 261.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5896 on: April 30, 2013, 10:09 AM »

I think the fed fans single Andy out for their booing because he prevented Fed winning the Olympic Gold - just about the only thing missing from Fed's resumé. Definitely "an anti-Murray thing", I think. I can understand their displeasure, but the booing is inexcusable.
I also felt it was the Swiss fans, rather than the French, who were booing Andy for this reason, when he walked out onto the court for the Wawrinka match at M.C.
I hope Andy can ignore it, because unfortunately, I don't think it's going to go away.
I agree MP - Andy is definitely smugfed fan's hate figure and I'm sure for that reason.  But hadn't made the connection with the booing at MC so good point.   And also hadn't thought how this is their best opportunity near to home to see their hero in action at a big event.  But I'd never boo Andy's opponent even when it's smugfed.
It's certainly true that the Swiss fans tend to dominate at 02.  It feels like being surrounded by a red rash.  I was the only one really shouting and waving my saltire for Andy in my section even though there were some other Andy fans there.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #5897 on: April 30, 2013, 10:16 AM »

Andy fans should not feel threatened they should shout for Andy and wave their Saltires with gusto. Then maybe Fed fans will get the message. After all it is supposed to be a home venue Andy fans should shout for him or should Scots take the train to London and show some backbone.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #5898 on: April 30, 2013, 11:27 AM »

Ooh don't worry I will be shouting like a maniac should I be lucky enough to be at one of Andy's matches this November..... Any fed fans sitting nearby who don't like it will be getting a thick ear!!!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #5899 on: April 30, 2013, 11:29 AM »

http://www.thetennisspace.com/no-mystery-over-boos-for-murray-in-london/

No mystery over boos for Murray in London

Interview with Chris Kermode, the managing director of the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals:

On Murray being booed by sections of the crowd when he played Federer at last year’s Finals: “I was sitting there when that happened. I had never seen anything like it, with a national player competing at home. It wasn’t an anti-Murray thing, it was definitely pro-Federer. We worked out why, and it’s actually quite simple. It’s actually difficult for Roger’s fans to see him en masse, and to get tickets to a tournament, as it’s not easy at Wimbledon and Basle is a relatively small venue and it’s quite corporate. So the Swiss fans come to The O2, where there are 15 sessions, and they come over for the whole week as they’re assuming that he’s going to be around in the later stages. It almost becomes a festival for them. There’s a very strong Swiss presence.”

“You also have to consider that British fans are more reserved, so they’re less likely to start chanting. In terms of Andy’s appeal, I think people are beginning to get to know him a bit more. And when they do, they see he’s actually very bright, very funny, and has got great character, and they also see that his tennis has moved up a level from a couple of years ago. He’s in unbelievable physical shape and he’s hitting the ball so hard off the ground. That incident wasn’t reflective of public opinion of Murray. Not at all. Roger is always going to be hugely supported, just because of what he has achieved in the game. And the same with Rafa. They have both huge fanbases, and quite rightly

I think it's quite interesting to see someone within the game remarking on that evening at the O2. At the time no one seemed to be in a rush to acknowledge it. Better late than never I suppose.

I really don't agree with Kermode though, when he says that it wasn't an anti-Murray thing. You've only got to spend ten minutes on the net, even on the ATP's site, to see the sort of comments Federer's fans have made about Andy at times, especially after Andy has beaten him. Also, Federer doesn't hide how he feels about Andy, and that, in my view, comes over to his fans, so they use it as yet another excuse to lash out. It's pathetic really, but there we are.

I really think you have to look at the O2 last year in comparison with the semi they played in Shanghai. In Shanghai the crowd were predominantly supporting Federer, and they were annoying with their incessant chanting, but at no point did I feel that it was anything against Andy as such. It was more to do with that quasi-religious fervour that surrounds Federer, and that almost farcical sense of 'follow the leader' his fans have. At the O2 though, it was a nasty atmosphere right from the start, like they were almost waiting for Andy. Winning or losing wouldn't, in my book, have made the slightest bit of difference. It felt to me like they'd almost prepared a 'welcome' for Andy, something that, in their eyes at least, would put him in his place and make their hero look good. Personally if I'd been Federer (God forbid!) I'd have been mortified with the way they behaved.

I think Kermode really misses the point to be honest. Personally I couldn't care less how supportive Federer's fans are of him. The way I see it is that Federer is probably on borrowed time now anyway, so let them have their last few moments in the sun. What I do feel strongly about is that it should be totally unacceptable within the game for a crowd to boo and jeer an opponent. To excuse it as them being supportive of Federer because of what he has acheived in the game is mind-blowing to me. As much as I dislike Federer, and make no secret of it, I would never boo or jeer him, because to do so would be rude. To my mind it is an issue of common decency. Whilst understanding that people will always have their favourites, and that is right and proper, there shouldn't be any room in the game for crowds to behave in the way Federer's fans did that night.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #5900 on: April 30, 2013, 11:32 AM »

Telegraph article

Great Britain’s Davis Cup captain Leon Smith has assured Telegraph Sport that his team “will go in with no fear”, after forthcoming opponents Croatia nominated the clay courts of Umag as the venue for their World Group play-off in September.

“I can see what they’ve done,” Smith said. “They know that Andy Murray is such a great indoor player, and that we’ve had our best results indoors even when he hasn’t played. But I am confident that our players can adapt. If anything, this is likely to be a bit of a leveller.

“Yes, Andy will be hoping to go deep into the US Open, which finishes four days earlier on a hard court, but then so will Marin Cilic, their ­top-ranked player, who has a good record in New York. The lack of surface-specific preparation time could make it tricky for everyone.”

RELATED ARTICLES
Andy Murray says he will 'definitely' play for Great Britain team in Davis Cup play-offs in September
Great Britain drawn to face Croatia away in Davis Cup World Group play-offs
Novak Djokovic plays down Davis Cup ankle injury and says he could be back in action within a week
Should Murray stay fit, he has promised to appear in September for his first Davis Cup match in two years. That would help Smith to field perhaps his strongest-ever team, and thus send Great Britain in as slight favourites against Cilic and his most likely ally, Ivan Dodig.

Clearly, the pressure would be on Murray to deliver wins in both his singles matches. But he has a good record against Cilic, having beaten him eight times and lost only once, at the US Open four years ago. The two men were born only eight months apart, and grew up as rivals on the junior circuit, so there are few secrets when they go on court.

Cilic and Dodig usually play on all three days of Croatia’s ties, com­bining for the doubles match on the middle Saturday. Here Great Britain should have the edge, too, given the excellence of their doubles pairing of Colin Fleming and Jonny Marray.

For the second singles slot, Smith will have to make a selection call between the two heroes of Coventry, James Ward and Dan Evans, who both beat Russians ranked a long way above them to earn Great Bri­tain this shot at a return to the World Group for the first time since 2007.

In all probability, Croatia’s choice of venue will favour Ward – who won a Challenger event on clay in 2009 – over Evans, whose silky hands would be less of an asset on a slower surface. The clay produces a slower, higher bounce, meaning that you have to generate pace with your own physical strength and effort, rather than being able to feed off your opponent’s energy as Evans loves to do.

“Over the next few months, there is a great opportunity for whoever wants to play No2 singles to step up and nail that place,” Smith said. “Against Russia in Coventry, Ward and Evans created a reminder of what is possible, but they have to show that much hunger and desire every week.

“With both of them, we’ve seen flashes of their potential, but the clock ticks. I don’t know where they will end up in the game, but I would like to see them get close to the top 100, so that they can at least make a living from the sport.”
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5901 on: April 30, 2013, 12:35 PM »

Angie you need to learn to click *new* when looking at threads that way you won't post something that has already been posted  Whistle

Edit** that came across as a bit mean spirited  imsorry

Thanks Angie but that article was posted a few pages ago  Smile
[ Last edit by The Gnome April 30, 2013, 12:48 PM ] IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #5902 on: April 30, 2013, 02:23 PM »

What do you mean click "new" ? I missed that it had been previously posted, I normally read all articles on here just missed that you had posted. Not a big deal is it? Easily deleted or people will just ignore it if they have already read it.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #5903 on: April 30, 2013, 02:32 PM »

I never use that function either, Angie. There's been loads of times I've posted stuff that others have missed or re-posted. It just shows how MWers are interested in sharing.

Thanks for sharing, and tbf Gnomie did apologise.  hug
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5904 on: April 30, 2013, 06:44 PM »

be
http://www.thetennisspace.com/no-mystery-over-boos-for-murray-in-london/

No mystery over boos for Murray in London

Interview with Chris Kermode, the managing director of the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals:

On Murray being booed by sections of the crowd when he played Federer at last year’s Finals: “I was sitting there when that happened. I had never seen anything like it, with a national player competing at home. It wasn’t an anti-Murray thing, it was definitely pro-Federer. We worked out why, and it’s actually quite simple. It’s actually difficult for Roger’s fans to see him en masse, and to get tickets to a tournament, as it’s not easy at Wimbledon and Basle is a relatively small venue and it’s quite corporate. So the Swiss fans come to The O2, where there are 15 sessions, and they come over for the whole week as they’re assuming that he’s going to be around in the later stages. It almost becomes a festival for them. There’s a very strong Swiss presence.”

“You also have to consider that British fans are more reserved, so they’re less likely to start chanting. In terms of Andy’s appeal, I think people are beginning to get to know him a bit more. And when they do, they see he’s actually very bright, very funny, and has got great character, and they also see that his tennis has moved up a level from a couple of years ago. He’s in unbelievable physical shape and he’s hitting the ball so hard off the ground. That incident wasn’t reflective of public opinion of Murray. Not at all. Roger is always going to be hugely supported, just because of what he has achieved in the game. And the same with Rafa. They have both huge fanbases, and quite rightly

Utterly disgraceful crowd that night.  Just imagine the WTF taking place in Switzerland and roles being reversed.  The very idea of Andy's fans booing and hissing Federer - as tempting as it may be - is beyond belief.  Federer and his disciples lack good grace and manners in their attitude to his opponents and their fans.

It is amazing how many times commentators wax lyrical at Federer's achievements while overlooking his many disrespectful and rude side-swipes at his opponents.  Not only has he arrogantly and pompously dismissed other players pre- and post-match but he blatantly swore aggressively at Andy in their AO semi - and of course totally got away with it.  Not a word from the umpire or referee, and the commentators and press remained tight-lipped.  It doesn't bear thinking about the fuss there would have been had it been Andy instead of 'Roger'.

The entire tennis establishment close ranks to protect him, it's easy enough as they are oblivious to his dark side, so obsessed are they with what they perceive to be his perfection - to the detriment of the other players, their fans, and the sport itself.  He is not a great ambassador for the sport, he is  an ageing, bad-tempered tennis superstar who is revered and fawned over by fans, media and moguls who are anxious to represent him in a glowing light and to gloss over his many faults.

How dare Kermode say the O2 crowd was pro-Federer and that 'Roger is always going to be hugely supported because of what he has achieved in the game'.   He must think we are idiots.  He should not be justifying their disgusting behaviour as showing support for 'Roger'.  If that is their way of showing support for their man then there is something very wrong. 

Andy is the Olympic and US Open champion and for him to walk out on to that court that night into that cauldron of aggressive booing is schocking enough without Kermode pathetically adding insult to injury by attempting to justify their outrageous behaviour. 

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5905 on: April 30, 2013, 06:47 PM »

as it's easy to post something already posted either earlier or on another thread perhaps gnome could explain what he means by clicking 'new' to avoid duplication?  Must admit I'm  confused
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5906 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01 PM »

as it's easy to post something already posted either earlier or on another thread perhaps gnome could explain what he means by clicking 'new' to avoid duplication?  Must admit I'm  confused

On the main page in the navigation bar to the left click forum and all the forum sections pop up, click the thread you want to read then all the threads are there with a big flashing "new" before the numbers - if you have visited the thread before if you click "new" it will take you to where you last finished reading if the thread has been updated with new posts.

This also applies to the latest thread updates to the right of the front page.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5907 on: April 30, 2013, 08:44 PM »

Kermode doesn't justify or excuse the behaviour of the Fed fans.  He's just explaining how the situation unfolded and what they did, and unless people think that behaviour is OK, it means he's being critical.

I don't think Fed got away with his behaviour as the Australian Open semi either.  It was glossed over to a certain extent, but a lot of people noticed, and there seemed to be a discernible shift in his coverage.

Onto more contemporary matters, Andy's comments about the Puerto case have been picked up.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/tennis-murray-puerto-case-biggest-cover-sports-history-185922709.html
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: News Articles « Reply #5908 on: April 30, 2013, 08:58 PM »

Ideal scenario will be for Andy to beat Federer at WTF - doesn't matter where the beating takes place - either in the RR or semi or final - as long as he beats him. Though the beating at the AO was very sweet but would have been sweeter had Andy dismissed him in 3 straight sets.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #5909 on: April 30, 2013, 09:41 PM »

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/8682595/Andy-Murray-blasts-court-decision-to-destroy-blood-bags-in-Operacion-Puerto

Baffling how journalists can make a whole article based on what someone said on bloody twitter.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 393 [394] 395 396 397 ... 732 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »