Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 1 Member and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 507598 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5910 on: April 30, 2013, 10:05 PM »

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/8682595/Andy-Murray-blasts-court-decision-to-destroy-blood-bags-in-Operacion-Puerto

Baffling how journalists can make a whole article based on what someone said on bloody twitter.

Probably because Andy is usually mighty quiet on the twitter front, and when he decided to say something it was on a controversial and current subject.
Great to hear his opinion, which I agree with.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5911 on: April 30, 2013, 10:07 PM »

I suppose the story is the judge's decision, but having Andy's comments makes it much more interesting to the general public/sports fan who might not have been particularly interested before.

It is a big sporting story IMO.  The court case and ruling.  Andy's comments are a perfectly reasonable reaction from anyone who was hoping that authorities were going to get tough and cared about the reputations of its clean athletes.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5912 on: May 01, 2013, 01:05 AM »

I suppose the story is the judge's decision, but having Andy's comments makes it much more interesting to the general public/sports fan who might not have been particularly interested before.

It is a big sporting story IMO.  The court case and ruling.  Andy's comments are a perfectly reasonable reaction from anyone who was hoping that authorities were going to get tough and cared about the reputations of its clean athletes.
There seems to be two different accounts of what the Judge ordered.  Some, like this one, say he ordered the bags to be destroyed, yet in another two that I read the Judge only ordered that they remain frozen until the appeal is heard before deciding whether to pass them on to WADA or not, so who's right? 
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5913 on: May 01, 2013, 08:16 AM »

From what I can gather, the judge ordered them to be destroyed.  However, that ruling could be subject to appeal, so that can't be carried out until after the appeal, or at least after the last date to lodge an appeal has been passed. 

For the time-being, the blood is neither being destroyed, nor being passed on to anyone.

In the meantime, everyone is going to assume all Spanish athletes are corrupt, and being supported by the state to be so.  It makes me wonder what they are so worried about that they are prepared to risk the reputations of so many athletes.   They've thrown away any hope they may have had of hosting the 2020 Olympics.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5914 on: May 01, 2013, 08:57 AM »

On the main page in the navigation bar to the left click forum and all the forum sections pop up, click the thread you want to read then all the threads are there with a big flashing "new" before the numbers - if you have visited the thread before if you click "new" it will take you to where you last finished reading if the thread has been updated with new posts.

This also applies to the latest thread updates to the right of the front page.
Thanks gnome - will try and remember but I suspect I'll forget  doh

Re Andy and the doping story, surely it's a recognition of Andy's stature in sport that his response becomes the story? 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #5915 on: May 01, 2013, 10:50 AM »

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12110/8682595/Andy-Murray-blasts-court-decision-to-destroy-blood-bags-in-Operacion-Puerto

Baffling how journalists can make a whole article based on what someone said on bloody twitter.

Someone once said that giving Celebrities a Twitter account was like giving chimpanzees machine guns. I tend to agree, by and large, although I'm not suggesting Oor Andy falls into this category. In fact i recall his account was quiet for a long period last year. He has been prone to using it for subtle product endorsements however. At least he doesn't tweet every named product he uses like some do. I don't have a twitter account, but if I did I would be very careful how i used it - e.g. not while drunk, or after midnight!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #5916 on: May 01, 2013, 10:57 AM »

Re Andy and the doping story, surely it's a recognition of Andy's stature in sport that his response becomes the story? 

That was my first thought when I read (on Sky's text service) what Andy is supposed to have said. I think it's good that his opinions are being noted, and, of course, that he feels strong enough to express a view. I think it is a recognition that his position in the game has shifted somewhat.

I think Andy's reaction is justifiable in two ways. Firstly, as far as I understand it, there are supposed to be people across a number of sports involved in doping, names that could, and arguably should, have come out. There were definitely rumours of tennis players being involved. Andy, and indeed any pro player, is surely going to want to feel that a person they are competing with is clean.

Also, Andy is a huge sports fan, so I think he can see it from the point of view of the average punter, you and me, watching sport. I think you could argue that these blood bags being destroyed is effectively a cover up, and it reflects badly on sport as a whole. Surely most people want to know, as much as possible, if the athletes (and I use the word in the broad sense) they follow and take an interest in, are abiding by the rules and playing fair.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #5917 on: May 01, 2013, 04:16 PM »

Lots of "I agree with Andy Murray" type comments in the Mail, which is a bit of a novelty!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2317353/Andy-Murray-enters-Eufemiano-Fuentes-row-calling-court-order-cover-up.html
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5918 on: May 01, 2013, 06:32 PM »

^ That's funny, Elena. A refreshing change from the usual Murray bashing that goes on there.

Good for Andy for sticking his neck out. I just had a very quick look, and it all seems to be quiet from others. No comments from Rafa, Fed or Nole as far as I can see. I see Ferrer has re-tweeted Feli Lopez' pic of Andy's comment.
Harman's tight-lipped too, other than re-tweeting Andy's tweet.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5919 on: May 01, 2013, 07:05 PM »

I remember that Andy has spoken out about doping before. He clearly feels strongly about it so good for him tweeting what he thought of a perverse decision.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #5920 on: May 01, 2013, 10:00 PM »

It was top news sports story on radio Clyde also about Andy's reaction.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5921 on: May 01, 2013, 10:05 PM »

There seems to be a lot of support for Andy's comments from across the sporting spectrum.  Quite a few "I don't normally like Murray, but he's right on this one" type comments.  I find the qualification odd, but I'll still take the praise.

Paula Radcliffe also tweeted her annoyance, which has been picked up a bit, but not on the scale of Andy.  He managed to say it all in very few words and with just the right amount of exasperation.  It reads like an exclamation of disgust and very honest and from the heart.  It contrasts with the more couched "we're disappointed" type responses from the anti-doping agencies.  I'm only surprised there weren't any swear words!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5922 on: May 01, 2013, 11:38 PM »

Doping scandals have also shaken the world of horse-racing now with news that the horses at the renowned Godolphin stables and at Newmarket were given anabolic steroids.

Good for Andy for sticking his neck out. I just had a very quick look, and it all seems to be quiet from others. No comments from Rafa, Fed or Nole as far as I can see. I see Ferrer has re-tweeted Feli Lopez' pic of Andy's comment.
Harman's tight-lipped too, other than re-tweeting Andy's tweet.
I'm not surprised that Rafa and Nole have kept quite about this.  For long enough there was speculation about Rafa's bulging muscles, and more recently that he was serving a 'silent ban' for drug abuse.  Nole caused a lot of speculation too when he said at the 2011 USO that he was using a special pressurised 'egg' to help him recover more quickly from matches.  The ITF have so far refused to say whether this pod is regarded as being a PED or not, and Nole has said that he only tried it out twice and that he's never used it since, but that hasn't stopped the rumour-mongers who claim that his ability to play match after match without showing undue fatigue is unnatural and suspicious.

[ Last edit by Aileen May 01, 2013, 11:58 PM ] IP Logged
caroline
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #5923 on: May 02, 2013, 12:10 AM »

I'm glad Andy's spoke out good for him. Go win the next masters Andy and make me happy fingers crossed. It was
my birthday yesterday  and if you could win the next masters event I'd surely be a happy bunny.
[ Last edit by caroline May 02, 2013, 12:15 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5924 on: May 02, 2013, 12:15 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAROLINE!  cheers
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 394 [395] 396 397 398 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »