Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 395 [396] 397 398 399 ... 741 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 447085 times)
caroline
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5925 on: May 02, 2013, 12:17 AM »

Thanks Aileen actually it was my birthday yesterday. I was thinking it was still the first of May
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5926 on: May 02, 2013, 12:24 AM »

Well it's not that much after midnight.  Hope you had an enjoyable day anyway. Smile
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #5927 on: May 03, 2013, 03:19 AM »

Murray heads Queen's entries

Andy Murray faces a tough task for the defence of his AEGON Championships title after organisers confirmed the line-up for next month's ATP 250 tournament.

Murray, who recently committed to the event until 2016, is bidding to win a hat-trick of titles at The Queen's Club as he steps up his Wimbledon preparations.

Four-time champion Andy Roddick has already confirmed his participation, alongside last year's finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Juan Martin Del Potro, but the official entry list also includes Janko Tipsarevic and Mardy Fish, ranked No. 8 and 9 in the world respectively.

French pair Gilles Simon and Richard Gasquet have both signed up, while David Nalbandian and Marcos Baghdatis are also in the draw, as are talented youngsters Ryan Harrison and Grigor Dimitrov.

"We are delighted that so many of world's leading players have chosen to compete at the AEGON Championships," tournament director, Chris Kermode said.

"Six of the world's top 12 players will be playing, in addition to four-time champion Andy Roddick. We are looking forward to a fantastic week of tennis."

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/149105.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5928 on: May 03, 2013, 03:52 AM »

^ You're in the wrong year, Linda. lol  That's dated 3 May 2012!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #5929 on: May 03, 2013, 03:58 AM »

Thanks Aileen..I should stop checking into MW before I go to bed. My brain is a bit brainless at this time of night Very Happy

Hopefully this is a bit more newsworthy:

Cilic & Hewitt return to Queen's but Nalbandian absent

Three more former champions have confirmed they will return to Queen's Club in June, but last year's runner-up David Nalbandian will be absent.

Defending champion Marin Cilic, four-time winner Lleyton Hewitt, and 2010 champion Sam Querrey will be among the field at the Aegon Championships.

Andy Murray and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga are among those already confirmed.

Top-10 Queen's Club entries
•Andy Murray (GB, world number three)
•Tomas Berdych (Cze, 6)
•Juan Martin Del Potro (Arg, 7)
•Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (Fra, 8)
•Marin Cilic (Cro, 11)
•Sam Querrey (US, 19)
•Kevin Anderson (SA, 28)
•Grigor Dimitrov (Bul, 29)
•Benoit Paire (Fra, 32)
•Julien Benneteau (Fra, 33)
* ATP rankings as of 2 May

However, Nalbandian is currently out with a shoulder injury and his ranking of 129 is too low to make the draw.

The Argentine was defaulted during last year's final for injuring a line judge.

He was leading by a set against Cilic when he kicked out in frustration at an advertising hoarding, inadvertently catching the official's shin and drawing blood.

Nalbandian was immediately defaulted for unsportsmanlike conduct and lost his prize money and ranking points, while Cilic was awarded victory.

The Croat will return when the Wimbledon warm-up begins on 10 June, along with last year's semi-finalist Grigor Dimitrov and 20-year-old Australian Bernard Tomic.

Tomas Berdych and Juan Martin del Potro have already confirmed their places, and will be among the leading candidates to challenge 2011 finalists Murray and Tsonga.

"It's great what [Murray] has achieved and he deserves it, but to play against him is a nightmare!" said Tsonga.

"You feel like the ball is coming back all the time. When I play against him I know I am the outsider, and I will always respect him."

Play media
Murray targets clay improvement

Argentina's Del Potro will be a major threat after showing he is capable of repeating his US Open winning form of 2009 when he beat Murray and Novak Djokovic in Indian Wells in March.

Berdych's only previous visit to Queen's, in 2005, ended in a first-round defeat and the 27-year-old Czech has since gone to Halle in Germany for his grass-court preparation.

However, this year he has altered his schedule this year as he attempts to go one better than that defeat by Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon three years ago.

"I think it could be a good advantage to be in London to get used to the conditions and to those great courts, and I think this is exactly what I need before Wimbledon," he said.

"The experience of reaching the Wimbledon final [in 2010] was great. It showed me a lot of things - that I'm able to play really well through two weeks, which is very tough. I now have experience of a Grand Slam final and I hope one day I can be able to profit from that."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21657991
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #5930 on: May 03, 2013, 12:49 PM »

Love the quote from Jo-Wilfred - he is always very respectful towards Andy and I seem to remember said he hoped Andy would win Wimbledon last year after he beat him in the SF.   
Getting excited already as I have tickets for centre court wed and thurs so should see some cracking players.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #5931 on: May 03, 2013, 12:51 PM »

Love the quote from Jo-Wilfred - he is always very respectful towards Andy and I seem to remember said he hoped Andy would win Wimbledon last year after he beat him in the SF.   
Getting excited already as I have tickets for centre court wed and thurs so should see some cracking players.

Did you get them through a club ballot Ruthie?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #5932 on: May 03, 2013, 12:56 PM »

no I got one through the general ballot angie - once you buy a ticket you get into their system and they email you the details how to enter.  I then got the second, better, ticket when they opened up the sales last month - I guess tickets not taken up in the ballot.   It's worth getting on to their email list, if you're interested angie, though centre court tickets aren't cheap.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #5933 on: May 03, 2013, 01:00 PM »

Defo interested Ruthie but most prob now it will need to be for next year as I've used up all my holidays from work for my summer holidays, world tour finals etc. Is there a way to get on their e mail list without buying a ticket for this years  Think
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #5934 on: May 03, 2013, 02:59 PM »

Great minds think alike Ruthie, I was just about to say I liked what Jo said. It was sort of weird though, before the semi last year, hearing him tell Sue Barker that he hates playing Andy. It didn't exactly give the impression that he liked his chances lol. Great match though, I loved it, and I have to say that Jo is a sweetheart.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #5935 on: May 03, 2013, 03:21 PM »

Defo interested Ruthie but most prob now it will need to be for next year as I've used up all my holidays from work for my summer holidays, world tour finals etc. Is there a way to get on their e mail list without buying a ticket for this years  Think
worth a look on their website angie as there may well be somewhere to sign up for alerts. I got on the list originally because, thanks to someone alerting me on MW, I got a £10 ticket to watch Andy play JW in the final two years ago on the Monday.  The woman sitting next to me said it would normally have cost over £100.  Was great watching Andy win and yes I agree tj Jo is a sweetheart. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5936 on: May 03, 2013, 07:14 PM »

Thanks Aileen..I should stop checking into MW before I go to bed. My brain is a bit brainless at this time of night Very Happy
I would have believed it if I hadn't seen Roddicks name. lol

Thanks for the updated into.  Sounds a great field.  I wonder if Djoko will play?  He was scheduled to in 2011 but withdrew because of a knee problem.

I love Jo-Wilfried.  He always seems a really nice person.  No airs and graces, just a down to earth person like Andy.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #5937 on: May 03, 2013, 07:59 PM »

Back to the blood doping case - Rafa is reported by the AP in Madrid today as saying that "

The decision to destroy blood evidence in the Operation Puerto doping case was "a mistake" ... The ruling wasn't positive for anyone. The only ones that benefited were the ones who cheated.
 http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dakfS?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #5938 on: May 03, 2013, 09:39 PM »

With the weather in the UK improving , I can almost smell Wimbledon coming and i'm getting excited already, It will be nerve racking and the BBC will obviously have their montages ready from last year with Andy crying followed by "Will this year be different" set to some pre ordained classical music or maybe the theme from Gladiator.

But still, i'm looking forward to it. This year is his real big chance i feel.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #5939 on: May 03, 2013, 09:42 PM »

With the weather in the UK improving , I can almost smell Wimbledon coming and i'm getting excited already, It will be nerve racking and the BBC will obviously have their montages ready from last year with Andy crying followed by "Will this year be different" set to some pre ordained classical music or maybe the theme from Gladiator.

But still, i'm looking forward to it. This year is his real big chance i feel.

And don't forget the documentary the BBC have been filming on him,that'll be coming too!I wonder are they finished with making that yet...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 395 [396] 397 398 399 ... 741 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »