Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 400 [401] 402 403 404 ... 718 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 424358 times)
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #6000 on: May 11, 2013, 11:22 AM »

Thanks so much Milly for the article very interesting read. I love how Andy is himself and has not changed since he came on the circuit, apart from his great tennis that is why he means so much to me.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6001 on: May 11, 2013, 02:48 PM »

A good and reassuring read, thanks.

I don't see Neil Harman having a dig particularly. He says  "Murray is not a marketing mannequin and never will be" - a position which I feel he respects. I don't feel he is criticising Andy, any more than he is admiring the "multigarlanded" others - just stating facts.

NH's grumpiness can be quite entertaining, can be quite annoying.  I agree with his complaints this week about the scheduling - matches shouldn't be carrying on until 1 or 2 in the morning, with players having to play the next day.

IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: News Articles « Reply #6002 on: May 11, 2013, 02:59 PM »

A nice article Milly - thanks for posting.

I think Andy's reluctance to be an all-out, money chasing media figure is what makes him seem 'one of us', and one of the reasons we identify with him so easily. 
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6003 on: May 11, 2013, 03:32 PM »

Honestly, the schmoozing and PR personalities of Fed and even Novak to some extent, are off putting. Neil is right in saying Andy will ever be *that* guy and i think the article clearly goes on to show Andy won't be *that* guy out of his own choosing.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6004 on: May 11, 2013, 04:09 PM »

A good and reassuring read, thanks.

I don't see Neil Harman having a dig particularly. He says  "Murray is not a marketing mannequin and never will be" - a position which I feel he respects. I don't feel he is criticising Andy, any more than he is admiring the "multigarlanded" others - just stating facts.

NH's grumpiness can be quite entertaining, can be quite annoying.  I agree with his complaints this week about the scheduling - matches shouldn't be carrying on until 1 or 2 in the morning, with players having to play the next day.

I thought this was an unnecessarily negative way to start the article and is what I was referring to:
A match completed at 1.17am, with a few hardy souls in the stands, as he grinds down an opponent while manifestly struggling with his own game is hardly the package any salesman can use to go in and pitch for Andy Murray.
It is the perennial problem that those working behind the scenes have dealt with on behalf of the Olympic and US Open champion. He is not an easy sell.
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6005 on: May 11, 2013, 04:18 PM »

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic - more easy on the eye than Andy?  Harman cannot be serious, surely?  He's got that so, so wrong.  Yes, they are multi-garlanded but none of them hold a candle to Andy in the looks department.  It would be easy to list all the reasons why I find the other members of the Fab Four dreadfully unattractive and utterly unappealing but it is much more pleasant to appreciate what a hottie Andy is.  At six feet three, with his amazing physique, handsome face and the sexiest eyes ever,  he is breathtakingly attractive.  Then there is his deep voice and his wickedly dry sense of humour.  Last, but definitely not least, he has an achingly tender side to him that is incredibly appealing.  Very alpha male but at the same time a soft-centred sweetheart of a guy.   wub
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6006 on: May 11, 2013, 04:41 PM »

I thought this was an unnecessarily negative way to start the article and is what I was referring to:
A match completed at 1.17am, with a few hardy souls in the stands, as he grinds down an opponent while manifestly struggling with his own game is hardly the package any salesman can use to go in and pitch for Andy Murray.
It is the perennial problem that those working behind the scenes have dealt with on behalf of the Olympic and US Open champion. He is not an easy sell.

Fair enough - though it doesn't bother me and I don't really see it as a dig. He goes on to say that Andy "confesses as much" and I'm as relieved as any that he's not intending to change.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6007 on: May 11, 2013, 04:56 PM »

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic - more easy on the eye than Andy?  Harman cannot be serious, surely?  He's got that so, so wrong.  Yes, they are multi-garlanded but none of them hold a candle to Andy in the looks department.  It would be easy to list all the reasons why I find the other members of the Fab Four dreadfully unattractive and utterly unappealing but it is much more pleasant to appreciate what a hottie Andy is.  At six feet three, with his amazing physique, handsome face and the sexiest eyes ever,  he is breathtakingly attractive.  Then there is his deep voice and his wickedly dry sense of humour.  Last, but definitely not least, he has an achingly tender side to him that is incredibly appealing.  Very alpha male but at the same time a soft-centred sweetheart of a guy.   wub

Not to mention his amazing cheekbones, neat butt, chubby knees and general down to earth, honest, likeable personality.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6008 on: May 11, 2013, 05:08 PM »

Fair enough - though it doesn't bother me and I don't really see it as a dig. He goes on to say that Andy "confesses as much" and I'm as relieved as any that he's not intending to change.
I didn't see it as a dig either.  Just a statement of facts that some people (advertising people) might not be keen on.  Doesn't mean that Neil personally isn't keen.  We know he wasn't keen on the late night matches, but he is being vocal about blaming the schedulers for that one.

I've also seen him come under fire lately for sucking up to Andy too much.  Personally, I don't think he does.  He likes and respects Andy and doesn't pretend otherwise.  He also likes and respects a lot of other players and is generous with his praise for them too.  However, as a journalist, he may be mindful of showing balance, so felt obliged to show he doesn't see every aspect of Andy through rose tinted specs.

I recall one of the tennis pundits recently saying that part of Andy's charm was that isn't corporate.  If they tried to make him too corporate, it won't impress the people who don't like him now, and it will be a turn-off for those who like him as he is.   I say that's a fair comment.  Even today, with many tennis fans tweeting the photo of Andy with Jo outside the plane, there has been a lot of gentle ribbing of Andy's dress down style, but you get the sense that people respect that about him.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #6009 on: May 11, 2013, 05:08 PM »

Very interesting read, Milly. Ta.
Thought Harman was OK actually.
Felt sad when Andy said he didn't know how long he'd keep playing Contrasted with TMF who always sounds as if he'll keep going till 95, because he's virtually unbeatable Lol Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6010 on: May 11, 2013, 05:37 PM »

Interesting article.  I like Harman always gives a balanced view. He has portrayed Andy as the mature young man he is with his head screwed on.  I don't want him to be like the other 3 on any level except for a tennis one. None of them particularly good looking and all pretty arrogant having let their notoriety and fame go to there heads. Keep your feet on the ground Andy.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #6011 on: May 11, 2013, 07:13 PM »

sparkle: didn't know that Harman had been under fire for being too supportive of Andy.  I've found he tends to blow hot and cold, which is perhaps how he tries to achieve balance.  But sometimes I've found his cold rather unfair -which doesn't mean I expect tennis correspondents to be sycophantic supporters of their country's players.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6012 on: May 11, 2013, 10:31 PM »

Andy's newest blog Smile

I’ve just arrived in Rome and enjoyed being in Madrid last week, two amazing cities we are fortunate to visit on the tour.

I played some gruelling matches this week at altitude, and although I’m disappointed I didn’t get the win against Tomas Berdych, I feel like I can take away a lot of positives. I was also really pleased to reach four hundred match wins, not many players can say they have won over four hundred matches.

My preparation for Madrid was positive and although it was disappointing to go out early in Monte Carlo, it gave me the opportunity to practice playing lots of matches on the clay. I had a few practices matches with Grigor Dimitrov and also Dolgopolov who are both solid clay court guys.

I did a coaching clinic for some kids earlier this week and I’ve got one tomorrow here in Rome, which was really enjoyable and a good way to relax and have fun.

Madrid is obviously a little bit different to all the other clay tournaments. The ball moves in a completely different way and the altitude makes competing at a high intensity really tough. When matches are as tough as they are in Madrid, recovery is difficult but really important.

After my match with Gilles Simon, by the time I had finished my press conference I think it was like one thirty in the morning by the time I got out. It’s hard when you finish that late, sleep is often the best form of recovery but it’s also important to make sure you do as much as you can before to help the natural recovery process. Everyone has different methods but for me I like to get on the bike then have a shower then stretch and have a massage and get to bed as quickly as I can, so I can feel as fresh as possible the next morning.

On a separate note away from the tournament, I was able to make an appearance on one of my favourite TV shows ‘Sky Sports Ringside.’ It was great to be able to talk boxing with Jonny Nelson and Adam Smith, both who are legends in the boxing world and there are some really exciting fights coming up, which I’m hoping to watch whilst I’m away.

Alongside keeping up to date with the boxing world, I’ve been keeping a close eye on my fantasy team, last few weeks of the season and it’s really heating up. I say that, but I’ve got a pretty comfortable lead over the other guys, so I should be retaining my Premier League crown any day now!

Up next for me now is the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. Rome is probably up there with one of my favourite tournaments to play during the clay season. They only recently built a new centre court here a few years back, but the atmosphere remains really relaxed and it’s a great tournament to be a part of, which is nice as it means I can go into the French Open feeling fresh.

Also being in the heart of Rome there’s obviously some amazing sights, and the food is always great wherever you go but the traffic can be an absolute nightmare, so it definitely pays to leave a little earlier when you have a match!

http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/andys-blog-rome/
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #6013 on: May 12, 2013, 07:22 AM »

Thanx for that xxandanix
Coaching session with the kids, don't you just wub him?
Must've got to bed about 2.30am then having to play another match so quickly in that altitude shocking Must've contributed to his loss.  
Gr8 to hear he loves Rome and the tournament. Have fun Andy and play well  yay
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #6014 on: May 12, 2013, 01:16 PM »

I doubt he even managed 2.30 bbh.  He hadn't expected to get to bed till more like 4am.   Interestingly though he looked more with it than he did in the Simon match.  Andy likes a challenge and I fear he gets bored playing Simon yet again.   I think he needs some kind of physical or psychological devices to get him fired up when he's feeling flat as he's clearly prone to that. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 400 [401] 402 403 404 ... 718 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »