Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 403 [404] 405 406 407 ... 754 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 464149 times)
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6045 on: May 16, 2013, 08:31 AM »

DavidLaw ‏@DavidLawTennis
Judy Murray tells 5 Live Breakfast that Andy will have a scan on back and won't play French Open if it risks damaging Wimbledon chances.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6046 on: May 16, 2013, 08:46 AM »

DavidLaw ‏@DavidLawTennis
Judy Murray tells 5 Live Breakfast that Andy will have a scan on back and won't play French Open if it risks damaging Wimbledon chances.

I think that's sensible.

I know Andy will lose points if he doesn't play RG, but I honestly think he needs to prioritise the injury, if he isn't fit to play. I don't see a point in playing RG if he isn't fit, then going to Wimbledon unfit and risking not doing well there. I just feel that at the moment Andy is unlikely to win RG. He stands a good chance of winnng Wimbledon. So, if something needs to give it's probably better that it's RG, regardless of what that does to his ranking.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6047 on: May 16, 2013, 09:48 AM »

I agree TJ, I hope he doesn't play RG not only for the physical reasons but the psycological ones as well.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6048 on: May 16, 2013, 10:23 AM »

Absolutely agree.  According to the Independent, there are even doubts whether he'll be fit in time for Wimbledon.  This could just be scaremongering but it does underline how soon W is and it makes no sense to jeopardise his chances there by playing on the cursed clay.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6049 on: May 16, 2013, 12:17 PM »

One thing Petch said yesterday really struck me. He was commentating in the match with Leif Shiras. You could tell Petch was annoyed at Andy at first, but when he realised something was wrong (about ten minutes after me, it was so obvious) his tone changed completely.

At one point he clearly said that when you see Andy like that it shows how vulnerable British tennis is. At first I thought the remark was a bit inappropriate, given that we were watching Andy struggle and he owes British tennis nothing. Then I gave it some thought and realised he had a point. Andy really is British tennis, period.

Ruthie, I do think the papers are being a bit scaremongering, but they will. However, you are right, it does show how soon Wimbledon will come around. Andy will want to be right for that. I hope he is.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6050 on: May 16, 2013, 12:51 PM »

perhaps to be fair we should say British men's tennis tj now that we have two really promising women coming up the ranks.
but yes, Andy carries a heavy weight on his shoulders and mostly he carries it very well
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6051 on: May 16, 2013, 02:00 PM »

perhaps to be fair we should say British men's tennis tj now that we have two really promising women coming up the ranks.
but yes, Andy carries a heavy weight on his shoulders and mostly he carries it very well

We should indeed say British Men's tennis, but Petch did say British tennis and I wanted to quote him verbatim to make the point.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: News Articles « Reply #6052 on: May 16, 2013, 06:51 PM »

I think the choice for Wimledon makes sense, not sure weather it is smart to say so (by his mum)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/

Andy Murray 'will prioritise Wimbledon over French Open'
Andy Murray will prioritise being fit for Wimbledon over the French Open, his mother, Judy, has told BBC Sport.

The 26-year-old Scot retired from his second-round match at the Italian Open on Wednesday with a back injury, putting both his French Open and Wimbledon participation in doubt.

Continue reading the main story
“He needs to be cautious and I'm sure Wimbledon will be his priority”

Judy Murray

Murray will have a scan on Thursday but has said he would be "very surprised" if he makes the French Open on 26 May.

"Obviously the goal is to be in peak condition for Wimbledon," said Judy.

Of the injury, she said: "It's something to do with his back but the scan will let him see what the injury is and what needs to be done.

"Often you pick up niggles when you change surfaces. Each surface brings its own problems and challenges. This back issue has been rumbling for a week or so.

"It's not so easy on the clay. There is a lot more twisting and turning. He needs to be cautious and I'm sure Wimbledon will be his priority."

Did you know?
•Murray's only previous mid-match retirement came on his 20th birthday, when he snapped a tendon in his wrist at the 2007 Hamburg Masters.
•That injury kept him out of the French Open and Wimbledon

Murray, who lost to Roger Federer in last year's Wimbledon men's singles final, looked troubled throughout his match against Marcel Granollers on his 26th birthday, and withdrew after winning a tie-break to level the match at one set all.

The world number two struggled with a lower-back problem throughout the clay season last year.

During one match against Jarkko Nieminen at the French Open, former Wimbledon champion Virginia Wade accused the British number one of being a "drama queen".

"Until Madrid it had been OK but it's not been perfect for a long period," Murray said on Wednesday. "You always go into matches with little niggles and such, but it's frustrating when for a long period you're hurting.

"It's been an issue for a while now and I want to make sure it goes away. It's not enjoyable when you're playing in pain."

Wimbledon starts at the All England Club on 24 June, little more than a fortnight after the French Open final in Paris.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6053 on: May 16, 2013, 09:46 PM »

We do, but I still think the comment is fair.   Heather may not be playing RG either, and even if she does, no-one will expect her to make much progress.  Chances are, all British hopes will be pinned on Laura to fly the flag in Paris, and it doesn't look like she'll be seeded, so she could face a top seed in round 1. She has some good results against high ranked players, but she's also vulnerable to some bad losses, and if she were the only Brit taking part, it's a lot of pressure on her.

It's not just British pride at stake.  The travelling British media and tv companies are reliant on British players being in the mix, and writers will find it hard to justify their travel expenses unless editors think they will get their money's worth.

I think that's one of the reasons that certain British pundits can be so hard on Andy.  Not excusing them, but to a certain extent, they have been reliant on Andy's success for their livelihood. 

By that same token, I think it's been great for Andy that Heather and Laura are starting to make their marks at the big tournaments, sharing a bit of the attention and giving the journalists and pundits someone else to talk about, giving Andy a bit more peace to get on with things.  Smile
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6054 on: May 17, 2013, 07:11 AM »

"It would be a pity if he doesn't play,” Djokovic said of Murray. "He's one of the top players, it is a loss for any tournament for him to be missing. I don't know the level of his injury, he is the best one to know how he feels.

"But perhaps he will have time to recover, we will know more in the next few days. There is the most value in the Grand Slams, that's where you want to make your mark and play your best."
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6055 on: May 17, 2013, 07:32 AM »

We had all this scaremongering when Nole injured his ankle and look at him now.  The media need this sensationalism to survive.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6056 on: May 17, 2013, 08:37 AM »

We had all this scaremongering when Nole injured his ankle and look at him now.  The media need this sensationalism to survive.

Yes and the British media are the absolute worst - and just throw mention of Wimbledon into the mix...
Like flowerpower above, I think it is a mistake to have openly talked about linking decisions made now, with his chances at Wimbledon. It just ensures the sensational side will run and run, fed on rumour and counter-rumour. I just hope it has a happy ending.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6057 on: May 17, 2013, 09:54 AM »

Andy's back problems have been going on since November 2011 - slightly different to Novak's ankle.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #6058 on: May 17, 2013, 09:57 AM »

Good thing about slams is, although u play best of 5, at least u, usually lol except at a certain USOpen tournament, have a day's rest in between.
Masters' 1000  tournaments are bad on the body.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6059 on: May 17, 2013, 11:37 AM »

Good thing about slams is, although u play best of 5, at least u, usually lol except at a certain USOpen tournament, have a day's rest in between.
Masters' 1000  tournaments are bad on the body.

The good news is that the players will have a day off on both sides of the draw this year at the USO. At least, should Andy win again, it will stop people (some of Djokovic's fans) suggesting the thing was rigged to help him.

I can see what you are saying too, the back to back nature of the Masters can't help when a player has an injury, or if they aren't well (I wondered about Delpo yesterday like that). But the majors are best of five, which has to be tough on the body. The rest days are usually not all rest, so its tough either way.

If Andy skips RG (I'm resigned to the thought that he will somehow) and then is fit for Wimbledon, I think we'll see him really take on opponents. Presumably keeping matches as short as possible would help.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 403 [404] 405 406 407 ... 754 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »