Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 430 [431] 432 433 434 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 468475 times)
batz

Re: News Articles « Reply #6450 on: June 11, 2013, 09:08 AM »

Andy has now been demoted to 3rd favourite with the bookies following Nadal's success at RG, which I'm sure won't concern him in the slightest, although Federer might not take too kindly to being the 4th!

I'm not so sure that I agree with making tennis rankings the same as golf rankings because, when you think about it, how many players are likely to be unlucky enough to be out as long as Nadal was?   Also there is a Protected Ranking rule in place -

Protected Ranking: A player injured for a minimum of six months can ask for a protected ranking, which will be based on his or her average ranking during the first three months of his or her injury. The player will be able to use his or her protected ranking to enter tournaments' main draws or qualifying competitions, when coming back from injury.

Therefore, as far as my brain can understand things at this at time of night, surely Nadal's ranking should have stayed at #3?

That though, won't be of any comfort to players who are out for a few months but not as long as six, so maybe the ATP should look at this.

Protected ranking applies to tournament entry, but not seeding. 
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6451 on: June 11, 2013, 11:03 AM »

That makes more sense as it would be unfair to the others.  I suppose this so that someone like a lower ranker but is in the top 30 would not be in danger of having to qualify.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6452 on: June 11, 2013, 12:36 PM »

Re: BBC Documentry « Reply #40 on: Today at 12:35 PM »

I'm really not liking the tone of this article....

Andy Murray documentary maker admits tennis star's life is 'ordinary' | Metro News - http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/11/andy-murray-documentary-maker-admits-tennis-stars-life-is-just-ordinary-3836003/

As Adam Ant once asked: ‘Don’t drink, don’t smoke, what do you do?’ Not much else, it seems, if you are Andy Murray.

A clean image is great for his sponsors but it poses a big problem for the director of a fly-on-the-wall documentary given a year of exclusive access to the 26-year-old Scot.

Anyone hoping for John McEnroe-esque histrionics will be sorely disappointed. In fact, director Jo McCusker admits the super-disciplined Murray may offer little excitement for viewers.

She stopped short of confessing her forthcoming BBC1 documentary could have all the appeal of watching tramline paint dry.

But the most startling insight into Murray’s secret life appears to be that he enjoys tucking into sweets while sitting in an ice bath.

Oh, and he also struggles to consume his daily quota of 6,000 calories, despite a fondness for takeaway sushi.

Ms McCusker told the Radio Times: ‘You don’t see anything flash because he doesn’t do anything flash.

‘He doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t go out. And it all comes back to one word, mentioned by everyone we spoke to: ordinary.’

Andy Murray: The Man Behind The Racquet, will be shown on BBC1 later this month.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6453 on: June 11, 2013, 12:45 PM »

Andy Murray documentary maker admits tennis star's life is 'ordinary' | Metro News - http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/11/andy-murray-documentary-maker-admits-tennis-stars-life-is-just-ordinary-3836003/

As Adam Ant once asked: ‘Don’t drink, don’t smoke, what do you do?’ Not much else, it seems, if you are Andy Murray.

A clean image is great for his sponsors but it poses a big problem for the director of a fly-on-the-wall documentary given a year of exclusive access to the 26-year-old Scot.

Anyone hoping for John McEnroe-esque histrionics will be sorely disappointed. In fact, director Jo McCusker admits the super-disciplined Murray may offer little excitement for viewers.

She stopped short of confessing her forthcoming BBC1 documentary could have all the appeal of watching tramline paint dry.

But the most startling insight into Murray’s secret life appears to be that he enjoys tucking into sweets while sitting in an ice bath.

Oh, and he also struggles to consume his daily quota of 6,000 calories, despite a fondness for takeaway sushi.

Ms McCusker told the Radio Times: ‘You don’t see anything flash because he doesn’t do anything flash.

‘He doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t go out. And it all comes back to one word, mentioned by everyone we spoke to: ordinary.’

Andy Murray: The Man Behind The Racquet, will be shown on BBC1 later this month.

What a ridiculous article, with all due respect. Andy is a professional sportsman, at the top, or thereabouts, in one of the most competitive era's of his sport. That doesn't leave room for smoking, drinking or going out.

Players can't do what they often used to get up to in the 80s and 90s, crawl out of nightclubs and straight on to practice court. This era doesn't allow that, it's too competitive. For ordinary, and let's face it, Andy has never said he is anything else, or wished to be, I would use another word. I would say he is dedicated.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6454 on: June 11, 2013, 12:56 PM »

Ugh,I don't like the tone either Milly.What's so wrong with being "ordinary" anyway?

Personally,one thing that's always endeared Andy to me (and that I've been glad to see hasn't changed a bit over the years) is his ordinariness!I like that he's stayed exactly himself-a hardworking,decent,normal guy.I like that he hasn't let fame,money or sucess change him.When it might have been very easy to let himself be changed,he didn't-he stayed true to himself.To my mind,Andy's ordinariness isn't something to criticise-it's something to celebrate!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #6455 on: June 11, 2013, 01:53 PM »

Ugh,I don't like the tone either Milly.What's so wrong with being "ordinary" anyway?

Personally,one thing that's always endeared Andy to me (and that I've been glad to see hasn't changed a bit over the years) is his ordinariness!I like that he's stayed exactly himself-a hardworking,decent,normal guy.I like that he hasn't let fame,money or sucess change him.When it might have been very easy to let himself be changed,he didn't-he stayed true to himself.To my mind,Andy's ordinariness isn't something to criticise-it's something to celebrate!

Exactly!! These people will stoop to any lengths.... There problem is Andy is too nice, he never does anything to give them big bad headlines that they want, and any in the past have just been made up or twisting his words!! Idiots are never happy
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #6456 on: June 11, 2013, 02:35 PM »

Sick article. yuk
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #6457 on: June 11, 2013, 03:13 PM »

I totally agree Dani - I love how Andy still seems so approachable and down to earth after having enjoyed so much success. I've always admired his total dedication to his sport, and his ordinary life away from it.

Perhaps they should've done a documentary on Ernests Gulbis if they wanted 'exciting' off-court stuff. I know which documentary I'd rather watch though!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6458 on: June 11, 2013, 03:27 PM »

I totally agree Dani - I love how Andy still seems so approachable and down to earth after having enjoyed so much success. I've always admired his total dedication to his sport, and his ordinary life away from it.

Perhaps they should've done a documentary on Ernests Gulbis if they wanted 'exciting' off-court stuff. I know which documentary I'd rather watch though!

Me too Katie.The fact that he is such a decent,nice guy who stayed so totally down to earth,and away from tennis made himself a normal life with the people he loves, is something that should be admired,not sneered at!

And who wants to bet that if Andy did ever get up to some Gulbis-like antics (or even just partied hard like some well-known athletes in other sports) people like that writer would be the first to criticise him for it?! Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6459 on: June 11, 2013, 03:27 PM »

As if a documentary about the other 3 would be any different, it's not Like Federer smokes crack and hangs out with prostitutes is it, maybe watching Fed with his fake smile and smug attitude shaking hands with his fans while opening a new lindt factory might appeal to some, i think the Documentary on Andy will be very insightful, i hear we get to see inside his house etc, can't wait personally.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #6460 on: June 11, 2013, 04:19 PM »

Me too Katie.The fact that he is such a decent,nice guy who stayed so totally down to earth,and away from tennis made himself a normal life with the people he loves, is something that should be admired,not sneered at!

And who wants to bet that if Andy did ever get up to some Gulbis-like antics (or even just partied hard like some well-known athletes in other sports) people like that writer would be the first to criticise him for it?! Rolling Eyes

Oh definitely - I'm sure they wouldn't hold back on their criticism then! He can't win whatever he does.
[ Last edit by Katie June 11, 2013, 07:32 PM ] IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #6461 on: June 11, 2013, 04:47 PM »

From as Andy's website

http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/an-ace-day-for-young-andy-fan/
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6462 on: June 11, 2013, 05:56 PM »

Elly you've slightly missed my point. The fool I know thinks Andy will be beaten by one of the big four. Last time I checked Andy was 2 in the world and therefore one if the big four.
Ah - I did indeed miss the point, teejay.  I'm quite renowned for it - apologies!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6463 on: June 11, 2013, 06:54 PM »

Protected ranking applies to tournament entry, but not seeding. 
Thanks for the clarification batz.

Hmm - now I know where a friend got his comments about the documentary from!

I'm pretty sure the sensation seekers will already be aware of this and so won't be bothered watching it.  They won't be true tennis fans anyway, so who cares?

Also The Gnome is right - documentaries about the other top three would be just as 'boring'.  I mean Fed with his twin daughters and Djoko with his pet poodle Pierre isn't exactly gripping stuff, and I bet we would get very little on Nadal anyway.

IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #6464 on: June 11, 2013, 07:44 PM »

I think we're all being a little hyper-sensitive here. I think the point you make is exactly the one that the programme is trying to make too.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 430 [431] 432 433 434 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »