Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 445 [446] 447 448 449 ... 754 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 463901 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6675 on: July 01, 2013, 10:55 AM »

What a lovely piece from JWT, thanks Dani.

It's funny, it's never struck me before, but Jo might be one of very few people who really does understand the position Andy is in, having a home major and the pressure that brings to do well. To my mind any player should admire the way Andy deals with it. He's coped so well.

Jo did well at RG this year, especially in beating you know who. I was so sorry about the way the crowd treated him after the semi. He didn't deserve to be booed. I was a bit surprised by how well he did at Queen's in the aftermath of that.

Jo does seem to be a genuine, decent, lovely man, so I'm sure he means his good wishes for Andy.

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6676 on: July 01, 2013, 07:02 PM »

Nice piece by James Corden on Andy here Smile

"He is the most unassuming elite sportsman I have ever met": James Corden on Andy Murray

To mark Andy Murray's second week in Wimbledon and today's match against Mikhail Youzhny, here are James Corden's thoughts on his friend and occasional on-screen tennis partner.

GQ: When did you first meet Andy Murray?
James Corden: I think it was when we did the Sport Relief sketch where my character Smithy won Coach of the Year and he plays tennis with Andy. We stayed in touch after that and he was on my World Cup show and he has been on A League Of Their Own. His girlfriend and my wife are from a similar place in the UK, so I suggested we go for dinner and we all got on like a house on fire. We've been out a few times since then, I saw him in New York last year, and I'd say we get on well. I adore him.

When you met him first of all, did you like him straight away?
I did, actually. Personally, I think he is the most unassuming elite sportsman I have ever met. For me, to be in the top five of anything in the world is such a difficult thing and he has achieved so much, and yet to meet him you would never know he was one of the world's best sportsmen. There is absolutely nothing about the way he speaks or conducts himself that says that… he just has no ego. I've never known anyone who is such an unassuming and polite guy, be so miss-represented in the eyes of the public. Ultimately, what you see with Andy is what you get... I think he might be the purest sportsman we have ever had because he is the one person that when you put them in front of a TV camera feels they have to somehow change their persona. He is just so comfortable in his own skin.

Why do you think there is a difference between the public perception and the way he is in person?
I think a lot of it comes down to how things look in print. I would say he is the type of person who doesn't suffer fools. If you are an athlete at the very top of your game, I think with the number of things you have to do you have to suffer a lot of fools. You have to spend a lot of time NOT doing the one thing you want to be doing, which in his case is play tennis. You have to do promotion and adverts and interviews and all those things. And what I think is great about him is that there is no mystery about him. He is just totally honest.

How would you say he has changed since you first met him and got to know him?
I think where I noticed a big change in him was last year, after he got to both the final in Australia and the final at Wimbledon, and he lost them both. I think a switch in him went on. I remember reading an interview with him where his coach told him to remember what those feelings were like and that he would never feel worse than this. And next time you are in this situation, remember what it was like and you won't want to repeat it. Then cut to the Olympic final, and to New York, and he wins.

I remember once we were having dinner and I asked him what it felt like to look in the mirror, look at yourself and think: "At what I do, I am the third best at it in the world"? And he said, well you don't really think like that because most of the time you are losing. Unless you win every tournament you enter, there comes a point, be it the final or semi-final or whatever, where you will lose. When you look at it like that, it is really hard because you aren't measuring your achievements so much as separating them into either winning or losing. You will lose more than you win.

Do you think the way we look at him is in a typically British way?
I do. We are the kind of country that doesn't celebrate success that much. And success is not something we really enjoy, actually. Our sporting heroes tend to be flawed… guys like Paul Gascoigne or George Best. I love Gazza but we certainly don't celebrate Paul Scholes in the same way we celebrate Gazza. And because Andy Murray doesn't have this "other" personality - which is ironic because he actually does: he has a very dry sense of humour and he is actually very funny, he just doesn't feel the need to share that with everyone - we tend not to warm to him. Take David Beckham… after the World Cup in 1998, people burnt effigies of him outside pubs. I don't think America do that. Andy goes to New York and they absolutely love him there. Purely because he is good at tennis. The British, they demand something else. For us, you being amazing at your sport is not enough. It really should be, because for the first time in decades we have a tennis player who can win grand slams and who is going to win Wimbledon very soon. There is not a doubt in my mind about that, and all those people who used to say he was grumpy, and Scottish not British, will all be lining the streets to cheer him. He's a shining light in British sport, as far as I'm concerned.

You've been out for dinner a few times… is it a classic double date where you talk to Andy and Julia talks to Kim?
I like to think we all get on as a foursome, but you are probably right! I hope not. I'll tell you, we eat in the same restaurant every single time we go out. We kept going out and we actually had a conversation about whether we should go somewhere different, and I just said, "Look, I don't know why we are messing about. We should just go back to Nobu." The funny thing is, I actually enjoy sharing food when I go out for dinner and that is how it works at Nobu. But I've noticed that with Andy, he is obsessed with these spicy tuna rolls and you can see him eyeing them up in the middle of the table, counting how many each person is eating. It's fine now, because we know just to order more to make sure he has his own little portion.

Will you tap him up for Wimbledon tickets?
Well, I have been a couple of times and I did sit in the box behind his mum once, and I loved that. It was amazing. Although my phone did go off once when he was about to serve. It wasn't a call because I had it on silent… I had set the alarm a couple of days before and it just went off. That was so tragically embarrassing.

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2013-07/01/andy-murray-james-corden-wimbledon
IP Logged
Kavanaugh
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6677 on: July 01, 2013, 07:21 PM »

Aaawwww.  Bless Tsonga and Bless James Corden, both lovely, empathetic and decent human beings.  Thanks for sharing those articles, Dani!  James Corden's bit about Andy and his tuna rolls made me laugh - reminds me of Gavin and Stacey with Smithy's rant about not wanting to share his lamb bhuna! Very Happy
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #6678 on: July 01, 2013, 08:11 PM »

Great article with James corden... Thanks Dani. X
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6679 on: July 01, 2013, 10:05 PM »

Murray plays down back worries

Andy Murray insisted there is no cause for concern over the state of his back after grinding out a straight-sets victory over Mikhail Youzhny to reach the Wimbledon quarter-finals for a sixth straight year.

The second seed clutched at his side a few times during Monday's 6-4 7-6 (7/5) 6-1 win on Centre Court, which was a worrying echo of the back troubles during the clay-court season that led to him pulling out of the French Open.

Although the win came in straight sets, there was not the same fluency about Murray's game, with the Scot having to fight back from 5-2 down in the second set and then 5-3 down in the tie-break. He played down worries over his fitness, though, saying: "There's no cause for concern. My back is what it is. It's felt way, way better than it was a few weeks ago."

Murray continued: "There's a few times on the court where you feel things. You just have to find a way of managing those issues and getting through them because a lot of guys have had problems during this slam especially. A lot of guys have had trainers on court and whatnot. So everyone's got little niggles. You just have to manage them and get through it."

Murray retired mid-match against Marcel Granollers in Rome prior to his French Open withdrawal but, in a Wimbledon tournament that has seen more than its fair share of injury problems, only something drastic would put him out. The second seed said: "Now that I'm playing, there's no chance I would stop unless I couldn't hold the racket."

Murray had 20 minutes of additional treatment on his body after leaving the court to try to ensure he is in prime condition for potentially three matches to come, starting with a quarter-final against Fernando Verdasco on Wednesday.

Murray said: "I need to make sure I do all the right things, like ice-bathing, having my massage, and taking care of my body. Obviously, a few weeks ago I missed the French Open. I don't want it to be a case of things creeping back up on me. I want to take care of my body. It's my main priority this tournament."

A tournament of shocks saw possibly the biggest in the match before Murray's as women's number one seed Serena Williams crashed out against Sabine Lisicki to end a 34-match winning streak. It was another reminder that, as inevitable as a final between Murray and Novak Djokovic may look, nothing can be taken for granted.

"She hasn't lost for a long time," said Murray. "So for her to lose at Wimbledon in the fourth round, especially a match where she'd come back, had a lot of chances, it's surprising.

"When those sort of results can happen to a player as good as her, there's absolutely no reason why it can't happen to me. That's why I'm not getting ahead of myself, and no one else should."

http://www.congletonguardian.co.uk/uk_national_sport/10519654.Murray_plays_down_back_worries/
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: News Articles « Reply #6680 on: July 01, 2013, 10:25 PM »

Thanx for posting that Dani.

Andy is so realistic in his analysis of his situation and comparisions.
I think having that attitiude will benefit him.  He impresses me anyway. clap

Hope he gets some rest tomorrow. 
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6681 on: July 01, 2013, 10:58 PM »

Wow did you just hear the press preview on sky news . This guy Branded womens tennis as boring.   Usual boring Eastern Europeans and then said it would be a miracle if Andy cheered up after this tournament.  What a ignorant twat.
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 July 01, 2013, 11:06 PM ] IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6682 on: July 01, 2013, 11:22 PM »

Wow did you just hear the press preview on sky news . This guy Branded womens tennis as boring.   Usual boring Eastern Europeans and then said it would be a miracle if Andy cheered up after this tournament.  What a ignorant twat.

I read about it on twitter. I also read that some woman reviewing the papers said Andy wasn't British and wasn't very good. Huh? You know I do not know any other British sportsman that gets treated the way Andy does. I've lost count of the amount of times rude nobodies on Sky news have been negative about him - even when he is winning. It really does piss me off.

I remember a few years ago Kay Burley asked why the Brits had such a problem with Murray. Was it because he's Scottish? In the same segment she called Robson an English rose.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6683 on: July 01, 2013, 11:40 PM »

I read about it on twitter. I also read that some woman reviewing the papers said Andy wasn't British and wasn't very good. Huh? You know I do not know any other British sportsman that gets treated the way Andy does. I've lost count of the amount of times rude nobodies on Sky news have been negative about him - even when he is winning. It really does piss me off.

I remember a few years ago Kay Burley asked why the Brits had such a problem with Murray. Was it because he's Scottish? In the same segment she called Robson an English rose.
its ridiculous.  Scottish/English/British.    I am tired of it all.   Why do people  speak with such irrelevance and ignorance.   Seriously people need to take a hard look in the mirror and realise that Andy is one of the few British sportsmen who preforms day in day out working so hard  playing out of his skin at Wimbledon every year dealing with so much unecessary pressure from the British media. Its insane.    Seriously in 10 years time we might not get another incredible sportsman like Andy.    People need to open their eyes and realise that Andy has already achieved a lot in his career. He is humble, he is a fighter  and he is a respecful guy.
[ Last edit by johnkiernan35 July 02, 2013, 02:13 PM ] IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6684 on: July 02, 2013, 12:08 AM »

Spot on John.

I think there are some people in media that seem to think you're less British if you're Scottish. That's what really annoyed me about the Robson comment from Kay Burley. Yes, just ignore the fact that Laura was actually born in Australia. Let's have a go at the Scot you don't consider British enough. There have been plenty of digs at Andy from journalists on Sky news over the years.

I honestly don't think that Andy will be fully appreciated until he retires. Only then will some people realise how lucky we were to have such an elite sportsman. Perhaps when it takes another 70+ years to find another Andy Murray those some people will realise just how gifted he was.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6685 on: July 02, 2013, 12:23 AM »

Sky are just miffed that they haven't got the tv rights to Wimbledon.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6686 on: July 02, 2013, 01:37 PM »

Andy just posted this on facebook

http://www.sw19membersclub.com/murray-how-to-gatecrash-the-golden-era/
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6687 on: July 02, 2013, 02:14 PM »

Andy answers BBC readers qs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23140027

And an interesting q & a with him here

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2013-07/02/andy-murray-news-interview-2013
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6688 on: July 02, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Thanks Gnome.  I've always liked Hugh MacDonald's articles and reports about Andy, and that was an excellent read.  It's a pity though that, according to Amazon, his book is only available on Kindle.  This assumption that everyone has, or wants, a computer and its allied technology really irritates me.

But "That is a story worthy of Hollywood" - God forbid that Tinseltown should ever try to make a film about Andy, but unfortunately, no doubt as a result of the Dunblane massacre, such tragic events being close to American hearts, I can see why it would have appeal.

Thank you for these too Dani.  I love and admire Andy's honest, down-to-earth answers, and the time he takes out of his busy schedule to respond to these Q&A sessions.
[ Last edit by Aileen July 02, 2013, 06:55 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6689 on: July 02, 2013, 06:48 PM »

I agree with Iona Red I do not think Andy will be truly appreciated by the English media. He was given a great welcome by the public at Wimbledon. But the press is a different matter they continue to differentiate between  English and Scottish players. They do not respect Andy and continue to try and find fault were there is none. As Iona Red has said maybe when Andy retires they will find it difficult to find an English player who has the talent Andy has. Perhaps then they will wake up and realise just how great Andy Murray was.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 445 [446] 447 448 449 ... 754 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »