Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 451 [452] 453 454 455 ... 758 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 477336 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6765 on: July 04, 2013, 11:16 PM »

Interesting Video of Andy's Wimbledon years from 2005 to present, only for UK viewers though

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23181419
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6766 on: July 04, 2013, 11:49 PM »

Wimbledon 2013: Centre Court crowd must raise the roof for Andy Murray - or else

With a misplaced courtesy more commonly associated with those he was hoping to influence, Andy Murray issued a coded appeal to the Centre Court crowd after the Lazarus act against Fernando Verdasco.

“When I went behind, the crowd definitely got right behind me and made a huge, huge difference,” said the Scot after Wednesday’s coronary inducer. “If they can be like that from the first point to the last in all of the matches, it makes a huge difference.”

One need not possess a long service medal from Bletchley Park to decrypt this. “If you want me to win Wimbledon, you effete Centre Court Sassenachs,” he was saying, “ditch the Home Counties reserve, and don’t wait until I’m two sets down to make a noise.”

As Murray’s poetic repetition of the phrase “a huge difference” subtly hinted, the crowd’s impact on his chances cannot be exaggerated. If Friday it communicates its anxiety to him again, Jerzy Janowicz may have the insolence not to freeze in his first major semi, and could power serve him to perdition.

On the large assumptions that Murray does win, and that Novak Djokovic defuses the Exocets fired by Juan Martin del Potro with an accuracy happily beyond his country’s navy in 1982, the 15,000 present will face a grave test when Murray meets the Serb on Sunday.

Were I suddenly, and frankly belatedly, installed as lifetime dictator, it would be absolutely their last chance. Another feckless spectating performance like the one during Wednesday’s first two sets, and that would be that for the conventional Centre Court crowd.

We have tolerated the betrayal of its patriotic duty to support native players with demented passion for far too long. In 2001, to take one poignant example, Tim Henman would have beaten Goran Ivanisevic in the rain-delayed semi under the ticket allocation proposal outlined below.

Instead, at two sets all, the crowd infected him with its fearfulness, and he missed out on a Monday final in front of the sort of football-ish crowd that would have intimidated Pat Rafter and screeched Henman to victory.

Which brings me to the three-point master plan I pledge to introduce, as your benign tyrant, if the Centre Court crowd disgraces itself again:

1) All debenture holders will be interned, in a heavily patrolled Glastonbury-style agricultural setting (luxury yurts for all; no need to be vindictive), for the duration of Wimbledon;

2) Their confiscated tickets will be reapportioned in a lottery;

3) Applicants will be limited to season ticket holders (preferably, though not necessarily, with convictions for violent crime) at Chelsea, Cardiff City, Millwall, Leeds United and the Glasgows, Rangers and Celtic. For all his ungodly mental strength, it would be intriguing to see how Djokovic coped with having his every service fault cheered like an injury time Cup final winner.

If it seems brutal, I make no apology for that. Top level tennis is brutal psychological war, and all is fair. The All England Club takes much of the blame for any confusion with the game played on rectory lawns.

The inscription above the Centre Court entrance is Kipling’s line about treating triumph and disaster just the same. It has no business being there, and should be replaced by the American football coach Vince Lombardi’s apercu that “winning isn’t everything. It is the only thing”.

In fairness to it, the Centre Court crowd has improved a little. It laughs less uproariously at every exhumation of that side-splitter “Come On Tim”, and applauds less lustily when an umpire asks them, as a courtesy to both players, to switch off mobile phones.

It now greets such distractions with about the same enthusiasm as an impossibly brilliant running top-spin forehand down the line from Rafael Nadal. But it still has far to travel to match the passion and decibel levels found on the Arthur Ashe Court in New York, where Murray won his only major title last year.

If he is to add a second, he will need the crowd on Friday, and more so on Sunday. So the advice to those with tickets, if they wish to retain them under any dictatorship of mine, is this: your country expects you to do your deafeningly raucous duty from the warm-up onwards.

Fail Andy Murray again, and this time next year you will be drinking the Pimm’s in a soggy Gloucestershire field surrounded by cattle and military personnel.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/10160623/imbledon-2013-Centre-Court-crowd-must-raise-the-roof-for-Andy-Murray-or-else.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6767 on: July 05, 2013, 03:30 AM »

^ A copy of that article should be handed to every single person who walks through the gates today.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Articles « Reply #6768 on: July 05, 2013, 05:15 AM »

Great idea Aileen......and thanks for posting it Dani!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #6769 on: July 05, 2013, 06:58 AM »

Gr8 article and so bloody true. They should kick the Pym drinkers out and let the "Murray Mounders" in
 yay
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6770 on: July 05, 2013, 08:33 AM »

Every word of that article is true. It took Andy having his back right to the wall the other day to rouse the CC crowd. Why can they not see that sitting there like stuffed dummies, paralysed with fear, transmits to players? You could feel the atmosphere on that court even through the TV. You could have cut it with a knife.

They should ditch the Pimm's swillers and get that crowd from the hill in. Then they should invite the population of Dunblane to CC as well. They'd support Andy, no question.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6771 on: July 05, 2013, 09:08 AM »

great idea Aileen re the article -or they could put it on the score screen as people walk in so they can read it while they wait.  Anyone who doesn't respond accordingly should be removed at end of 1st set and replaced with true fans from the mount.  Though come to think I suspect quite a few of the buttoned up brigade are torygraph readers anyway - so it's brilliant that such an article should appear in that particular newspaper.
[ Last edit by Ruthie July 05, 2013, 10:04 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #6772 on: July 05, 2013, 09:15 AM »

What an awful article. Not least by claiming Andy 'stormed off' but also by seeming to imply that it was just Murray fans over-reacting. For what it's worth it wasn't just Murray fans who made  comments about Richardson but fans of all players (from what I could gather) who watched the interview. It wasn't people getting 'irate' or offended, but miffed at why the BBC still employ this tool.

Any article that quotes random people off twitter isn't worth reading. Typically lazy, exaggerated journalism.
I didn't really read the article like that tmh.  It's starting point was Andy telling people not to be too hard on Richardson.  I think it was quite clear that Richardson was in the wrong and apart from 'stormed off' I thought it showed Andy in a good light. 
 I know it's stupid but I feel quite proud to have been on the mount and so pleased that Andy and Kim realised just what support he was getting there as I don't think you can actually hear the mount crowd on centre as it's just outside court 1.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: News Articles « Reply #6773 on: July 05, 2013, 10:26 AM »

Wimbledon 2013: Centre Court crowd must raise the roof for Andy Murray - or else

On the large assumptions that Murray does win, and that Novak Djokovic defuses the Exocets fired by Juan Martin del Potro with an accuracy happily beyond his country’s navy in 1982, the 15,000 present will face a grave test when Murray meets the Serb on Sunday.

This otherwise excellent article thoroughly spoiled by clumsy and unnecessary reference to 30 year old war. I'm sure Nole would agree.  Lets not go there.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #6774 on: July 05, 2013, 10:59 AM »

yes hadn't noticed that fiverings - I agree.  Stupid.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: News Articles « Reply #6775 on: July 05, 2013, 11:43 AM »

The crowd at Wimbledon are so dense about tennis as to beggar belief.

When I was there on Monday, I heard stuff like:

"Do the mixed people play best of five sets?"
"Yes, I think so, darling."

"Is this Fleming chap playing with Laura Robinson Peter Fleming's son?"
"Yes, dear, I believe he is."

"Look, Malcolm, Laura Robson's left-handed? Did you know that? Left-handed, Malcolm. Well, I never did."

I bloody hate them, as well as the toffs in their ponsy shirts, quiffs and herringbone jackets.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Articles « Reply #6776 on: July 05, 2013, 05:24 PM »

"Look, Malcolm, Laura Robson's left-handed? Did you know that? Left-handed, Malcolm. Well, I never did."

I bloody hate them, as well as the toffs in their ponsy shirts, quiffs and herringbone jackets.
Rise above it Nige. goodman
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6777 on: July 05, 2013, 05:25 PM »

^ lmao  I wonder what these luvvies are saying during the Djoko/Delpo match?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6778 on: July 05, 2013, 05:32 PM »

One simply goes, as it's the thing to do, dahling.  One can tell one's friends how spiffing it was.  Tennis?  Oh yes - I believe there was some of that.  The Robinson girl and some foul mouthed Scot...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6779 on: July 05, 2013, 05:38 PM »

^ I can just hear them Elly. lol 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 451 [452] 453 454 455 ... 758 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »