Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 3 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 453 [454] 455 456 457 ... 721 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 426379 times)
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6795 on: July 06, 2013, 11:38 AM »

Apologies for double posting. Not sure where to put this.
But this 'As it Happened' article in the Telegraph includes a great 'Wimbledon Drinking Game' Just scroll down to the bottom [the earliest]. Teehee.

Wimbledon Drinking Game - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/10162862/Andy-Murray-v-Jerzy-Janowicz-Wimbledon-2013-as-it-happened.html
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6796 on: July 06, 2013, 12:22 PM »

Watched the game last night and could not have been more proud of Andy. He kept his temper down if it had been me I would have had a go at Lurch. What a nasty man he is I am so glad Andy won and the crowd were behind him again.Have not been keeping well so I try not to get over excited I felt so drained after the match. Now Andy go and play Djokovic and win for yourself and for all of us.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Articles « Reply #6797 on: July 06, 2013, 12:30 PM »

Lurch? I think I love this more than Beanpole Margaret!  w00t
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6798 on: July 06, 2013, 01:54 PM »

How about Lurching Beanpole as love them both. Sorry you're not well lb and that you still can't yell tj. 
Thanks for the front pages Bev.  As I live out of London not all the 1st editions had caught up up here.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6799 on: July 06, 2013, 02:06 PM »

Gosh, I thought I was really in trouble this morning. No voice, but that isn't unusual, but no internet connection either!!!! I thought I was going to have to handle my excitement in the morning all by myself! Scary!

Thanks for all the suggestions for ways I could make some noise tomorrow Smile. I'm sure I'll find a way to be loud and supportive Smile.

I'm so excited for Andy it's crazy. Last year I was nervous for him. This year it's total excitement. He looks like he's ready to do it yay.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6800 on: July 06, 2013, 03:21 PM »

I'm so excited for Andy it's crazy. Last year I was nervous for him. This year it's total excitement. He looks like he's ready to do it yay.

Exactly how I feel!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6801 on: July 06, 2013, 07:59 PM »

Apologies for double posting. Not sure where to put this.
But this 'As it Happened' article in the Telegraph includes a great 'Wimbledon Drinking Game' Just scroll down to the bottom [the earliest]. Teehee.

Wimbledon Drinking Game - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/10162862/Andy-Murray-v-Jerzy-Janowicz-Wimbledon-2013-as-it-happened.html

lol  Brilliant!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6802 on: July 06, 2013, 08:05 PM »

Exactly how I feel!
I'm still nervous this year ... maybe I could have some of whatever it is you're on? Very Happy
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6803 on: July 06, 2013, 10:29 PM »

Telegraph | My family suffer more than I do, says Murray - http://aggbot.com/UK-News/article/19934180

By Patrick Sawer, Claire Duffin and Shekhar Bhatia9:00PM BST 06 Jul 2013
For two weeks Andy Murray has put Britain through the emotional wringer as he attempts to make British sporting history and become the country’s first Wimbledon men’s champion in 77 years.

Now he has admitted that his girlfriend Kim and his family suffer far more than he does when they watch him play in major tournaments.

Murray says that while his focus is simply on winning, they have to endure the agonies of seeing him suffer in front of them on court.
Speaking ahead of Sunday's final against world number one Novak Djokovic, Murray said: “For me, all I care about is winning. While for friends and family, although they want me to win, but if not then they just want you to be OK.

“I think it is a different sort of stress – obviously Kim would like me to win, but last year after the Wimbledon final although I didn’t win it wasn’t so much about that – she just wanted me to be OK.”

Murray has previously spoken about how his career is difficult on those close to him.

In a documentary, shown on the BBC before the start of Wimbledon, Murray revealed how his mother Judy and Miss Sears tried to console him after he lost to Roger Federer in the final of the championship last year.

“We ordered some pizzas very late to the house and watched TV,” he said in Andy Murray: The Man Behind The Racquet. “I was upset for the rest of that evening and two or three days after.

"It was tough for everyone around me. They know how upset you are but it’s tough not to try to sort of baby you.”

Sears, 25, who has a degree in English literature from the University of Sussex, is an artist who paints portraits of pets. She lives with Murray in a £5 million house in Oxshott, Surrey with their two border terriers, Maggie May and Rusty.

The couple met at the 2005 French Open when Miss Sears was 17. During matches Sears has worn her heart on her sleeve, living every point from her position in the player’s box.

At one point during the semi-final she could be heard shouting to her boyfriend: “Finish it.”

Whatever the agonies of watching millions of people will still tune in to watch him today.

Murray’s victory semi-final victory over Jerzy Janowicz on Friday night drew a peak television audience of 13.24 million, the largest of any programme so far this year.

That figure was almost two million higher than the peak audience for Murray’s victory over Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, at the same stage last year, while the Scot’s quarter-final win over Fernando Verdasco, on Wednesday, attracted 10.4 million at its peak.

Last year’s final between Murray and Roger Federer was watched by a peak audience of 17 million people.

Today’s final against is expected to draw a similar bigger audience,

Around the country Saltire flags have been unfurled, Scottish ancestry suddenly discovered and jugs of Pimms prepared. Indeed sales of the drink have doubles on this time last year, according to Waitrose, the supermarket.

Some of the support has come in unexpected forms. A song written for Murray by his childhood friend, Keith Meisner, called Under the Lights, has been viewed more than 40,000 on YouTube.

Mr Meisner, 26, who played tennis with Murray at junior level, has also performed it at Wimbledon, on Murray Mound, and on BBC television and radio.

Murray now has 1.6 million followers on Twitter, the social networking website, while even his mother Judy has more than 60,000.

But despite the growing anticipation over today’s match, Murray himself says that, even if he wins, it is unlikely to mean as much to him as last year’s Olympic triumph on the same court.

He said: “Winning Olympic gold here, a home Olympics ... I’ll never get the opportunity to do that again. It was probably one of the proudest moments of my career. I don’t know if I’ll ever top that.”
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6804 on: July 06, 2013, 10:49 PM »

I'm still nervous this year ... maybe I could have some of whatever it is you're on? Very Happy

I'll pop round with it Aileen, it's good stuff Wink.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6805 on: July 06, 2013, 11:14 PM »

Murray's moment of destiny as 77-year quest for a successor to Perry may be about to end

The warmth of the ovation that will greet Andy Murray when he walks out on to Centre Court this afternoon will be a reflection of the distance he has travelled in the affection of the nation since he first tried to win the Wimbledon championship.

It seems now that his defeat by Roger Federer, and his tearful speech at the presentation ceremony 12 months ago, was a full dress rehearsal for the command performance he promises to deliver against world No 1 Novak Djokovic on the most prestigious tennis stage in the world today.

His first night nerves from last summer are a distant memory. 'I definitely feel calmer today than I did on the Saturday last year,' said Murray.

'Sometimes nerves and stress can take a bit out of you physically, so the calmer you can stay in the next 24 hours or so will help as well.'

Millions will be drawn from family barbecues or cut short an outing to the coast to bear witness on TV or by listening to radio commentary to the 26-year-old Scot's quest.

He is determined to end a 77-year search to find a successor to Fred Perry, the last British man to win the Gentlemen's Singles at Wimbledon.

And evidently, Murraymania has spread from Aberdeen to Penzance. Yesterday, hundreds of fans congregated at Aorangi Park, on the perimeter of the All England Club, to clamour for his autograph or have their photograph taken with him on their smart phones at the conclusion of his light practice session.

He signed as many pieces of paper or oversized tennis balls as possible, while still managing to look bemused at being at the centre of such fanatical interest.

'When I am on the court the support has been unbelievable and that is what you need if you want to try to win these events,' said Murray, as he sat on a park bench, a five-minute walk from Centre Court.

'It would make a huge difference if the crowd are right on my side. Any tennis player wants to win Wimbledon and the closer you get to it the more you are obviously going to think about it. But the most important thing is not to look ahead.

'At no stage of the match can you get too ahead of yourself; against most players that is dangerous, against someone like Novak that is even more dangerous because he is extremely fit and doesn't give anything away. I am going to need to earn every point tomorrow.'

Even so, Djokovic expects to experience a lonely existence this afternoon.

'It's normal that most of the crowd will be on his side,' he said.

'Murray is a local hero. He has a big chance to win Wimbledon after a long time for this nation. I'm ready for it.'

Murray is just one week older than Djokovic - both men born in May 1987 - and the scope of their rivalry, which began in boyhood in junior European tournaments, can be gauged by the fact they are competing against one another for a third consecutive Grand Slam final, when both have been fit.

'When we were younger we were more friendly,' said Murray. 'But it's hard now playing big, big matches with a lot on the line. You can't be best of friends when that's happening. I hope when we finish (playing), it will be different.'

As usual this past fortnight, Murray will be driven this morning to Wimbledon in his VW Polo by his friend Rob Stewart from the £5.5million mansion he shares in Oxshott, Surrey, with his girlfriend Kim Sears.

He will meet his coach Ivan Lendl, along with the other members of his loyal team: Dani Vallverdu, his friend and assistant coach, fitness trainers Jez Green and Matt Little and physiotherapist Johan de Beer.

Lendl will watch Murray play through his repertoire from the back court, wearing a baseball cap with a racket to hand.

At 53, the Czech-American is old enough to be Murray's father but he has proved to be an inspirational appointment by Murray 18 months ago.
He retired with eight major championships but, like Murray, had lost his first four Grand Slam finals.

And Lendl never wanted to befriend those he competed against, such as John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors and Boris Becker.

He just wanted their respect and he won that by moving the parameters by which professional tennis players had to be judged as he appointed a hitting partner, physiotherapist, racket stringer and nutritionist.

On the players' lawn on Friday, Becker, working here as a BBC TV pundit, held out a meaty hand to Lendl and said, dryly: 'Hi, Ivan. I'm looking forward to describing your facial expressions in our broadcast.' Lendl, deadpan, replied: 'Don't hold your breath.'

Becker retorted: 'I won't ... I know there won't be any.'

As Murray surged back from two sets down to Fernando Verdasco in his quarter-final on Wednesday, then withstood a ferocious storm of serving from Jerzy Janowicz in Friday's semi-final, all those crowded into the British player's guest box continually jumped to their feet to applaud his tenacity under duress.

Except Lendl. He did not move as much as an eyebrow as he stared inscrutably down the court.

Lendl has been an invaluable asset but he rates his contribution in the humblest terms.

'I think you have to have the cooperation of the entire team and an understanding with the player of how you do things and why you do things,' he said yesterday.

'The player has to believe in it and, if he doesn't, it's pointless trying.'

Lendl is different from most coaches; he appears in working hours, then disappears.

'I've played golf every other afternoon,' he said.

In the evenings, he dines with his wife, Samantha.

'I do have dinner with Andy at some places but we haven't done so during Wimbledon. It's his call.'

Yesterday, Green explained how they had deliberately planned to keep practice, and the post-hitting regime, as economical as possible.

'Less is more,' said Green. 'We just had to fine-tune him a little bit. He hit with Ivan and Dani and they talked about tactics for the final. We wanted to get him home by mid-afternoon. He's ready. He just needs his body waking up tomorrow with a warm-up and to get a feel for the ball. There is nothing much more we can do.'

On Friday night, Green, Little and physios, De Beer and Mark Bender, who has been brought aboard for his expertise in dealing with back injuries, like the issue that kept Murray from playing in the recent French Open, spent more than 90 minutes on Murray's post-match recovery process at Wimbledon. Sushi was ordered in.

'Andy warmed down on a bike to get his pulse slowly down, while refuelling at the same time, before the physios took over,' said Green, who is responsible for the efficiency of the boot camp Murray attends near his home in Miami, Florida, each December - three weeks of intensive training to lay the foundations for success.

On Friday night, there were muted congratulations from Team Murray.

'We said: "Well done, good performance" - all that kind of stuff,' said Green. 'We shared a few jokes and talked a bit about the Janowicz game. But there is still one more match to play.'

It might be described as the most important match of Murray's life.

Of the 18 times he has played against Djokovic, Murray has won seven but, perhaps crucially, he defeated his Serbian rival in their only match on grass, at the Olympics here on Court No 1.

'I know what worked against him at the Olympics and, hopefully, some of those things will work again,' said Murray.

Destiny is calling him like never before and a nation awaits the performance of a lifetime.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2357555/Wimbledon-2013-Andy-Murray-facing-moment-destiny.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #6806 on: July 06, 2013, 11:31 PM »

Good one Dani  goodjob can't wait
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6807 on: July 06, 2013, 11:45 PM »

Good one Dani  goodjob can't wait

Me too Ange-last line gave me chills!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6808 on: July 06, 2013, 11:46 PM »

Really like this piece on Lendl Smile Love his attitude!

Murray feats don't shock Lendl

Ivan Lendl expects Andy Murray to be making grand slam finals on a frequent basis because the Scot is "so good".

On Sunday Murray will play in his fourth consecutive grand slam final when he takes on Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon showpiece.

Murray was beaten at the All England Club by Roger Federer 12 months ago before defeating Djokovic to win his first grand slam title at the US Open.

Like Lendl, his coach of 18 months, Murray's maiden triumph came at the fifth time of asking and he then went on to lose his next final when Djokovic gained revenge at the Australian Open.

Murray missed the French Open because of a back injury, and fans of the 26-year-old will hope the parallels with Lendl's career do not extend to the seventh final.

Lendl lost his seventh, beaten by Mats Wilander in the French Open final in 1985, however he went on to win seven further slam titles.

The 53-year-old is not surprised by Murray's consistency, telling the BBC: "I can't find a reason why he shouldn't (reach finals). He's so good. When he plays well, he should be getting to the semis and finals."

While Britain waits and hopes for a first Wimbledon men's singles champion in 77 years, Lendl is thinking no further than the match itself.

He said: "My job is not to worry about what it would be like (if he wins), my job is to prepare him and give him the best chance to win tomorrow."

Working with Lendl has certainly helped Murray go up a level, on the court and mentally.

The Czech-born American citizen is one of the most high-profile coaches working on the tour but he is happy to take a back seat and does not see himself as the boss.

"I try to let Andy do what he does best and stay just behind and if I see something I point it out," he said.

"You have to have co-operation of the entire team and understanding with the player when you do things, how you do them and the player has to believe in it. If he doesn't, it's pointless."

If recent matches between Murray and Djokovic are anything to go by, tomorrow's clash is likely to be close.

Murray won their only previous meeting on grass, in the semi-finals of the Olympics last summer, but Djokovic has won the last three matches, most recently the Australian Open final.

Djokovic has not lost in Melbourne since 2010 but Lendl is confident Murray has the tools to improve on his performance in January's match.

Lendl said: "There must have been something wrong (with his performance) because Andy didn't win the match so I must find, and I did find, some things he can do better with.

"I can find points to improve even in the matches Andy wins. Nobody ever plays a perfect match."

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/sports/murray_feats_don_t_shock_lendl
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #6809 on: July 06, 2013, 11:49 PM »

Excellent article please read

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23208488
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 453 [454] 455 456 457 ... 721 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »