Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 462 [463] 464 465 466 ... 640 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Articles  (Read 355168 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #6930 on: July 12, 2013, 10:45 PM »

Quite a nice piece from the BBC website. It includes what Lendl said to Andy before the final.

Andy Murray: Ivan Lendl, the coach behind Wimbledon triumph

If his mother nurtured and encouraged Andy Murray towards Grand Slam tennis finals, it was coach Ivan Lendl who helped him make the last leap to champion.

Two men with a similar steely outlook bonded with a shared experience of bitter defeats and determination to fulfil their ambitions.
Eight-time Grand Slam title winner Lendl was the first to be hugged by Murray in the aftermath of his landmark Wimbledon triumph.

The 53-year-old Czech-born American's blend of experience, honesty and dry humour has struck a chord with the Scot half his age, who now has a tennis father figure to complement his mother Judy's years of dedication.

"He's made a really big difference to Andy in terms of the emotional control on the court," said Judy, who is six months older than Lendl.

"I think that's helped Andy to play his best tennis for longer periods of time. We all owe him a lot."

Murray had the innate ability, mixed with a strenuous strength-building programme, to become a top-four player, but needed an extra something to get past three of the all-time greats.

After a long search following his split from Miles Maclagan, Lendl - who retired from playing in 1994 - was plucked out of tennis obscurity towards the end of 2011 to mentor Murray.

A calculated gamble which, after Murray's defeat in the 2012 Wimbledon final, meant the only players in the Open era to have lost their first four Grand Slam finals were working together as player and coach.

Just two months later, Murray followed his tutor by succeeding at the fifth attempt - winning the US Open.
Where once he looked up to the players' box in matches with a pained 'Why always me?' expression when things unravelled, he now trades stares with the dark sunglasses of Lendl. No nonsense.

After beating world number one Novak Djokovic tobecome the first British man since Fred Perry 77 years earlier to win Wimbledon, the 26-year-old talked of his coach's advice.

"We spoke on the morning of the match and he basically said go out and work for every single point, that's your court, your fans are going to be behind you, just bring the title home, and I managed to do it," he said.

This is your time, this is your moment, Lendl was effectively saying. And Murray channelled the belief he had in him.

"His mental toughness has improved so much in the last 18 months since Ivan Lendl became his coach. There is no question that he has been so good for Andy," says Murray's grandmother Shirley Erskine.

In a five-year period from 1985 to 1990, Lendl won the US Open three times and the Australian Open and French Open twice each. He was world number one for an unbroken three-year stretch and a finalist eight years running at the American major.

The All England title at SW19 does not grace his playing CV, his strong baseline game unbalanced by the sometimes quirky bounces on grass which once prompted him to declare the surface was "for cows". He was runner-up twice.

"Ideally he would have won it himself, but this was the next best thing for him," said Murray as he clutched the coveted gold trophy.

"He believed in me when a lot of people didn't. He's been very patient with me. I'm just happy I managed to do it for him."

The Glasgow-born Murray may have been a toddler in his new hometown of Dunblane, just north of Stirling, when Lendl was in his pomp, but their playing careers have parallels.

While the Scot has competed in an era where Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Djokovic won 29 of 30 successive major titles, Lendl was part of a late 1980s 'fab four' that also featured the sumptuous skills of Boris Becker, Pat Cash and Stefan Edberg.

When defeat by Federer at Wimbledon last year meant Murray matched Lendl's losing 0-4 record in Grand Slam finals, his voice cracked and tears rolled as he told the crowd: "I'm getting closer."

Lendl does not do tears, not in public at least, and four weeks later, on the same court, Murray beat Federer to win gold at the London Olympics.

Behind the scenes, his US-based coach was plotting victory in America. The father of five daughters relishing this opportunity to guide a man made in his mould.

"He's taking care of matches a bit easier at times. He is also steadier in his results and doesn't seem to have so many downs as he has done before and I'm pleased with that," he said of Murray earlier this year.

Old rival Becker reckons the stoic Lendl almost cracked a smile when Murray clambered up to embrace him as the Sunday sun dappled the 15,000 Centre Court crowd at Wimbledon.

"You can't credit Ivan enough. He's been there before and faltered," said the German, whose three Wimbledon final wins included a straight-sets defeat of Lendl in 1986.

"Ever since Ivan has been in the corner, Andy doesn't shout and scream so much."

"He's made me learn more from the losses that I've had than maybe I did in the past," he said of Lendl.
"He's always told me exactly what he thought. And in tennis, it's not always that easy to do in a player/coach relationship.
"The player is sometimes the one in charge. But he's been extremely honest with me. If I work hard, he's happy. If I don't, he's disappointed and he'll tell me."

There might not seem many obvious similarities between cycling and tennis, but the kind of marginal gains which Britain's Olympic cycling guru Sir Dave Brailsford swears by, applies across all sports.

"Pressure is for tyres," say the coolest sportsmen, and Lendl's poker-faced support at matches may just give Murray that crucial extra lift he needs.

Fellow Scot Sir Chris Hoy - the winner of a record six Olympic cycling gold medals - watched Murray on Centre Court and saluted his resolve.

"He had the whole nation expecting him to win. He is tennis in the UK - it's him, Andy Murray," said Hoy.
"To deliver under that kind of pressure and expectation, I don't know how he did it. It really is one of the greatest British sporting moments of all time."

Now Murray may well become a knight too. A champion made in Scotland, with more than a little help from his Czech mate.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6931 on: July 12, 2013, 11:24 PM »

^ Nice article, TJ.  Thanks. Smile

I particularly liked this bit -

"He's made me learn more from the losses that I've had than maybe I did in the past," he said of Lendl.
"He's always told me exactly what he thought. And in tennis, it's not always that easy to do in a player/coach relationship.
"The player is sometimes the one in charge. But he's been extremely honest with me. If I work hard, he's happy. If I don't, he's disappointed and he'll tell me."

What a unique relationship, and one which has paid off and I'm sure will continue to do so.

IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #6932 on: July 13, 2013, 07:01 AM »

Enjoyed that too. Cheers  clap
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6933 on: July 13, 2013, 09:49 AM »

I'm glad you both liked it. I thought it was good. To my mind it really underlines the idea that what Lendl has brought to Andy is real belief. I just don't think you can underestimate the effect of having someone who has done what Lendl has done, and also gone through such similar experiences, in Andy's corner.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: News Articles « Reply #6934 on: July 13, 2013, 10:03 AM »

Thought I'd share 2 of the international versions of UK newspapers we get out here (the 3rd had sold out at my local store) and please excuse the bad cutting and pasting (had to scan in 2 halves) sorry

* IE Pt 1.jpg (100.79 KB, 582x794 - viewed 260 times.)

* Telegraph pt 1.jpg (94.67 KB, 588x727 - viewed 260 times.)
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: News Articles « Reply #6935 on: July 13, 2013, 11:34 AM »

^^Thanks Bevc, I never tire of seeing this stuff ! Super
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: News Articles « Reply #6936 on: July 13, 2013, 11:43 AM »

I love the second one most, that pic, glorious!!!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6937 on: July 13, 2013, 11:52 AM »

Love it Bev,thanks!

Edit: Forgot to thank you Teejay,for that piece on Ivan.Brilliant article.Thanks! Smile
[ Last edit by xxdanixx July 13, 2013, 12:07 PM ] IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: News Articles « Reply #6938 on: July 13, 2013, 11:59 AM »

I'm glad you both liked it. I thought it was good. To my mind it really underlines the idea that what Lendl has brought to Andy is real belief. I just don't think you can underestimate the effect of having someone who has done what Lendl has done, and also gone through such similar experiences, in Andy's corner.
Lovely article - no nonsense - it's real - thanks for posting it TJ it is one I hadn't found. What a wonderful weekend we had last week, absolutely unforgettable. All the waiting and hoping became worthwhile and the sight of Andy's happy face was something I will always treasure.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #6939 on: July 13, 2013, 05:10 PM »

enjoyed the article too tj - thanks.  I read somewhere that one key to the success of the relationship [indeed a deal breaker]  was Lendl being willing for Dani V to continue working with Andy and that it's worked so well that now Lendl calls Dani his son.  I found that quite touching.
Re the viewing figures, one quirky fact I read: ' the national grid reported a 1000 megawatt drop in electricity demand - equivalent to switching off 400,000 kettles- when about 17 million Britons were transfixed in front of their TVs on Sunday'.  The comment was how Andy helped tackle global warming!   
[ Last edit by Ruthie July 13, 2013, 05:17 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6940 on: July 13, 2013, 05:50 PM »

enjoyed the article too tj - thanks.  I read somewhere that one key to the success of the relationship [indeed a deal breaker]  was Lendl being willing for Dani V to continue working with Andy and that it's worked so well that now Lendl calls Dani his son.  I found that quite touching.
Re the viewing figures, one quirky fact I read: ' the national grid reported a 1000 megawatt drop in electricity demand - equivalent to switching off 400,000 kettles- when about 17 million Britons were transfixed in front of their TVs on Sunday'.  The comment was how Andy helped tackle global warming!   

Thanks Ruthie. I just thought people would like it because it gives that bit of insight to what Lendl said to Andy before the final.

I've thought before that it seems as if Lendl and Dani get on. It's sweet that Lendl thinks of him like that. See, not such a hard man after all Smile. I think Mr. L is a total sweetie Smile.

Nice to see Andy doing his bit for the planet. Smile.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6941 on: July 13, 2013, 09:40 PM »

enjoyed the article too tj - thanks.  I read somewhere that one key to the success of the relationship [indeed a deal breaker]  was Lendl being willing for Dani V to continue working with Andy and that it's worked so well that now Lendl calls Dani his son.  I found that quite touching.
Aw, that's lovely Ruthie, especially as I really like Dani. wub
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6942 on: July 14, 2013, 12:12 AM »

Wimbledon champion Andy Murray focused on winning more Grand Slams and not money - Mirror Online - http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon-champion-andy-murray-focused-2051157?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Wimbledon champion Andy Murray says he won’t let anything get in the way of his quest for more Grand Slams.

In the week since his victory over Novak Djokovic, the 26-year-old has been inundated with sponsors hoping to get the Scot to endorse their products.

But Murray said the chances of seeing him on TV adverts for pizza or cereal were slim.

“There are certain times that are really important to me,” said Murray.

“My training blocks are really important and I won’t let anything get in the way of that – that just isn’t going to happen.

“I’m sure more things will come from winning Wimbledon, but hopefully more people will be interested in doing things with less time – that would be the ideal scenario.”

As he looks to maximise his financial potential, Murray is being lined up to play in the lucrative Indian Premier Tennis League, which is set to begin in December 2014 and will see teams playing several matches across a number of cities in Asia.

The event could clash with Murray’s training camp in Miami, but the Scot said if he plays, it will only be on his terms.

If I go to play in it, what I’ve agreed is to play three nights in one place, in the space of a week, so I’m not travelling around across the whole of Asia,” he said.

“If I can go somewhere for one week and set up a camp where it’s warm and there are good ­training conditions [that’s good].

“The only thing that’s missing from Miami is playing against the best players in the world.

“A lot of the others play loads of exhibitions in ­December, but I’ve never really done that. If I could be in one place for a week and take my guys and train properly, then it could work well. But if I tried it and I didn’t think it was working I’m not going to go back. That’s the reality.”

Having doubled his Grand Slam tally, Murray will now try to defend his US Open title next month.

Murray remains some way behind Djokovic, who has six Slams and a long way off Rafael Nadal (12) and Roger Federer (17).

But the ­Olympic champion said he was more focused on trying to win more Slams than worry about his ­position in history.

He said: “I just don’t see a point in setting a number on [how many he can win].

“I just want to try and win the next Grand Slam that I play in and prepare for each one like it’s my last.

“I’m competing with some of the best players ever. I’m just happy that I’ve been able to win some of these tournaments.

“I’ll try and win more, and I guess if I was to win one or two more I would start to get up there, but I’m not thinking about that so much just now.

“I’m just going to get ready for the next one and if I can win one more then I’d be happy.”

As someone who was quite sceptical about Andy taking part in IPL style tennis, these quotes from Andy himself are like music to my ears!!!! Smile
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6943 on: July 14, 2013, 12:21 AM »

Andy Murray: '£1.6m is a ridiculous sum of money for winning Wimbledon' - http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/13/andy-murray-wimbledon-nadal-federer?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Andy Murray's first week as Wimbledon champion has not lacked for incident or speculation, and the only certainty is that his life from this point on will be more dramatically different than even he probably suspects.

From being poked in the eye by an over-eager autograph-hunter outside a London restaurant – with the paparazzi illuminating the awkward scene in that familiar burst of flash that announces front-of-the-paper "celebrity" – to making the prime minister giggle like an Eton schoolboy and calling for him to be knighted, Murray has experienced the sort of attention reserved for the few. There will be more – probably much more – to come.

The Scot was honoured to be asked to 10 Downing Street, less convinced by David Cameron's suggestion that a knighthood is in the offing. Murray, the coolest dude in the Rose Garden alongside the guffawing PM, his normally morose sidekick Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband, who could do with a good laugh, has taken a little while to shed some of his natural diffidence.

What is refreshing is his ordinariness in extraordinary circumstances. His family, friends and members of his team will testify that he is still Andy, not remotely ready to become Sir Andrew.

Murray had just deposited a cheque for £1.6m, first prize for beating Novak Djokovic in the men's singles final last Sunday, when we sat down to talk about the past, the present and the future. He laughed when he thought about the sudden increase in his wealth.

"I was sitting next to Phil Brook [the All England Club chairman] and Marion Bartoli at the champions' dinner [on Sunday night]," Murray says, "and he was talking about some of the past champions. He said: 'Yup, and none of them won £1.6m.' I mean, it's a ridiculous sum of money for winning a tennis tournament."

Since he joined the Tour in 2005 Murray has earned nearly $30m (£19.8m). Almost $5m (£3.3m) of that has arrived in the past six months. Add to that his endorsements and investments and it is safe to say Murray is travelling pretty well. Guestimates of his invigorated earning power swing wildly between £20m and £100m a year. But it is not the numbers that matter so much, it is what goes with them: the new choices, the vastly increased claims on his time, the shifting perceptions – and the effect on his tennis.

Murray says, for instance, he will walk away from the quick-format, end-of-year league proposed by one of his new business advisers, the Indian doubles player Mahesh Bhupathi, if it threatens to interfere with his winter training block in Miami. "What I agreed to is playing three nights in one place," he says. "So I'm not travelling across the whole of Asia in the space of a week. A lot of others play loads of exhibitions in December. I've never really done that. But, if I could be in one place for a week and take my guys there and train properly, it could work well. If I tried it and I didn't think it was working, I'm not going back. That's the reality. My training blocks are really important and I won't let anything get in the way of that.

"I'm sure more [offers] will come from winning Wimbledon but hopefully more people will be interested in doing things with less time. That would be the ideal scenario."

Murray never envisaged being in this position when he started playing tennis as an under-sized kid in Dunblane more than 16 years ago. Counter to the myth, he never dreamed of winning Wimbledon – not until it became more tangible, at least: "People say they dream of winning the World Cup but when you're young you don't really know. When I first went over to train in Spain and actually started becoming a professional tennis player, that's when I had different goals. I didn't think I was going to win a grand slam then, I just wanted to get into the top 100. That's kind of how my whole career has gone: top 100 was a goal, then top 50 and I just kept changing my goals as I achieved them. It's much better to do that than not get there.

"When I played here the first time, that was when I really wanted to win Wimbledon. When you're growing up, people say, yes, I wanted to win Wimbledon, but they don't really understand what that means until you get here and you're playing in the event."

Asked how many grand slam titles he might win, Murray says: "I just want to try to win the next one. I hope that's how it is for the rest of my career. I don't see a point in setting a number on it. I want to prepare for each one like it's my last."

Wimbledon, it should be remembered, was just his second major title. Murray will not rush to ignore the remaining claims of the two players who between them own 29 majors but who left Wimbledon early and bruised – Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer – even though he senses change.

"Rafa came back [from seven months out with injury] and made nine finals in a row and won the French Open. He wasn't 100% fit when he was playing here, that's for sure. He's 27 and, if he stays healthy, he's going to be at the top of the game for a long time. He has a great record against every player at the top of the game.

"Roger doesn't have such a good record against Rafa but Rafa has a good record against all the top players, so he'll be there. I think Roger will still be there or thereabouts in all of the slams, maybe just not as consistently as he was in the past because it's impossible to keep that up for so long. He did it for 10 years. Amazing."

As for Murray's longevity, he is 26, the age at which he always said he would have the best chance of breaking through. "The mid-20s are when you start peaking physically," he says.

"When I first came on the Tour, I wasn't particularly strong. I was weak, if anything. I had the game but you don't just become massive and unbelievably fit by working hard in one year. It takes time. You'll get injured if you work too hard too soon. So I knew that when I got into my mid-20s, I'd be fitter and that's helped. I wasn't that mature when I was 18 or 19. I was still young and struggling to deal with some of the things that came with it. I'm dealing with it much better. Now I just want to go on a nice holiday, stay in a nice hotel, have a nice few days off. I don't need anything else."

Nobody in British sport deserves it more.

This article as-well as the one before are full of new quotes so I'm beginning to wonder whether Andy's return to the AELTC today was for these media commitments...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6944 on: July 14, 2013, 01:28 AM »

"Murray, the coolest dude in the Rose Garden alongside the guffawing PM, his normally morose sidekick Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband, who could do with a good laugh ..."  roflmao

Seriously though, these are very insightful articles, so thanks for posting Milly.

It's interesting that Andy should think that the £1.6m he received is a ridiculous sum of money for winning a tournament but given what he, and other Slam winners, have to go through to get there I don't begrudge him one penny of it.  It's not like he's winning this amount on a regular basis either, and also I expect the taxman will relieve him of a large chunk of it. 

Sir Andrew?  Definitely not - at least not while he's still competing.  That should only be considered when he finishes his career.

Like you, I was sceptical about Andy taking part in Bhupathi's proposed travelling tennis circus, because I felt that he would never compromise his Miami training, so I'm delighted to have his response to that. 

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 462 [463] 464 465 466 ... 640 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »