Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 463 [464] 465 466 467 ... 640 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Articles  (Read 355568 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6945 on: July 14, 2013, 01:33 AM »

Trying to mirror Wimbledon champion Andy Murray? It's not a smashing idea
Every silver lining has a cloud, though in the case of ... sorry, that’s horribly inadequate cobblers, even by the general standards of this column.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/10174638/Trying-to-mirror-Wimbledon-champion-Andy-Murray-Its-not-a-smashing-idea.html

So let us begin again. Every 24-carat golden lining, shimmering with rubies and diamonds, and fringed with the translucent wings of smiling cherubim, has a cloud - although in the case of what occurred in SW19 on Sunday afternoon, there happen to be two.

One is more fittingly a concern for the mental-health professional, but I mention it anyway in a wild and obviously doomed stab at self-medication.

Far from abating, the addiction to the Wimbledon men’s final intensifies alarmingly. On Wednesday night, I watched the third set seven times, and found something new to activate the lachrymals in every viewing.

With one, for instance, it was the frighteningly visceral roar that greeted Andy Murray’s recovery, with a brilliant backhand defensive lob from a seemingly hopeless position, to earn his fourth and blessedly last championship point. The Centre Court crowd’s heroic response to last week’s plea to intimidate Novak Djokovic with ferocious noise and passion made we weep. So did Kim Sears muttering to herself, when her gentleman caller broke for 5-4 in the third set, an adorably bamboozled, “I don’t believe this”. Who did?

When that seventh review concluded at 2.33am, there was no option, of course, but to watch the last two hours of Andy’s marathon US Open final victory from last September, when he spared us Sunday’s excruciation by serving out for the title for the loss of a single point.

Perhaps the lack of sleep sharpened the cantankerousness, but Thursday morning’s slovenly lollop around a west London park brings us to the second and more pernicious of those clouds. This one usually hangs over us for about a fortnight after Wimbledon, but this year, as this section reported on Wednesday under the hateful headline, ‘Murray factor sparks rush for the courts’, it will persist for longer and more menacingly than ever before.

To the staggeringly useless tennis dilettantes of Ravenscourt Park, where I overheard a sixtysomething wife advise her husband, “Darling, do you not think you should take the cellophane off the racket?”, and indeed of every park in the realm, I say this. Don’t do it. Just do not do it. If the flame of Wimbledon burns uncontrollably in your breast, do what I do, and restrict viewings of the final to as little as 14 hours per day. That way, you will distress nobody other perhaps than your family and a boss umbraged at the drastic diminution of your work-rate.

If you are pathologically incapable of putting more than one out of 23 serves into play, and then at 11 miles per hour, however, and if you cannot reach the net, never mind clear it, with a return of even so feeble a service, you have no business inflicting your disgrace on innocent passers-by.

In a civilised world, legislation would be passed for every public court to be patrolled by riot police instructed to deploy water cannon at all before frogmarching the drenched to court, where they would summarily be rewarded with an all-expenses paid holiday of a lifetime to HMP Belmarsh.

If that seems too draconian (though, God knows why), every council should at least institute a bylaw whereby the fences surrounding its public courts are draped with thick black curtains.

Would anyone who visited last year’s Leonardo exhibition at the National Gallery have been thrilled had the first thing to greet their eyes, after marvelling at The Last Supper, been the work of an unconscionably bad Trafalgar Square pavement artist? Would you honestly wish, on emerging spellbound from a concert hall, in which Vladimir Ashkenazy had played a Rachmaninov piano concerto, to find Les Dawson tinkling the ivories in the foyer? No you would not.

It is one thing for children to be inspired by Murray to take up tennis, and a good thing at that. However, there is something uniquely repellent about the vision of wilfully malcoordinated middle-aged schlubs demeaning his epochal achievement with savagely incompetent pastiches of his work. If I feel any urgent need for that, I can always hunt out the old Dunlop and wave it pitiably at the mirror.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6946 on: July 14, 2013, 01:45 AM »

Andy Murray set to launch clothing range in America - because USA men's tennis is in the doldrums

He could follow in the footsteps of fellow Wimbledon champion Fred Perry with his own fashion line

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/andy-murray-set-launch-clothing-2051200

Andy Murray is set to make ­millions by launching a clothing range in America, the Sunday Peoplecan reveal.

His advisers see a gap in the market there because the US doesn’t have its own male tennis superstar.

They want Andy, 26, to own a fashion line like the iconic brand of shirts and items bearing the name of his predecessor as British men’s Wimbledon champ– Fred Perry.

Sources close to the once grumpy Scot say showbiz guru Simon Fuller, who has worked with Murray since 2009, is ready to turn him into a ­global figure like ­David Beckham and is convinced the US is the best place to start.

One said: “Fuller’s view is the world is Andy’s oyster.

“There is so much money to be made and this is just the beginning of a lucrative future.

"His team are looking at launching Andy’s own brand of products, starting with clothes like Fred Perry’s.

“He’ll focus on America because Fuller sees little competition for him there. They have the Williams sisters but no male tennis stars.”

The source added: “Fuller wants to make Andy a global icon just like he’s done with Beckham. Andy is now very much a ­priority at Fuller’s company.”

Fred Perry’s range, which calls itself the “epitome of street fashion ­credibility,” was launched in the late 1940s.

Its most ­famous item – the slim-fit cotton pique shirt with an embroidered laurel wreath logo – was released in 1952 and six decades on the company is worth almost £100million.

Murray used to wear the Fred Perry clothing range on court but is currently sponsored by adidas.

Andy Murray is paid £1million to wear Rado watches - but it was seven hours out after Wimbledon win

The self-winding watch powers itself from the wearer's movement, suggesting Murray is not a regular wearer the Sunday People can reveal

Andy Murray may be Wimbledon champ – but he could face a ticking-off from his watch sponsor after accidentally revealing he doesn’t regularly wear their product.

As our pictures taken after­ Murray’s epic victory show, the time according to the Centre Court scoreboard was 5.24.

But his luxury automatic ­timepiece had stopped at 10.27.

The men’s singles champion, 26, had tried to put right an embarrassing blunder after winning last year’s US Open, when he could not find his black D-Star Automatic Chronograph to wear at the trophy presentation.

That would not please Swiss ­makers Rado, who reportedly pay the British No1 £1million a year to wear it.

So after beating Novak Djokovic last Sunday he hastily strapped on the £2,589 watch – not realising it was seven hours out.

An expert explained: “The watch winds itself due to the wearer’s movement. It will never stop – unless it is not worn for a few days.”

But Murray is set to branch out into clothing of his own by following in Fred Perry's footsteps with his own clothing range.

And his advisers are targeting America as the men's game is short on stars in the USA at the moment.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6947 on: July 14, 2013, 05:32 PM »

Is this real?He hasn't even picked up his OBE yet!

Jonathan Overend ‏@jsoverend
New Year Honours Exclusive: Knighthoods to Andy Murray and DRS.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6948 on: July 14, 2013, 05:42 PM »

Is this real?He hasn't even picked up his OBE yet!

Jonathan Overend ‏@jsoverend
New Year Honours Exclusive: Knighthoods to Andy Murray and DRS.

I saw that and nearly got caught out earlier! DRS is apparently a kind of Hawkeye thing for cricket and was used in the Test match today. Someone else may be able to explain better.....
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #6949 on: July 14, 2013, 05:46 PM »

I saw that and nearly got caught out earlier! DRS is apparently a kind of Hawkeye thing for cricket and was used in the Test match today. Someone else may be able to explain better.....

Ahh,ok,thanks Elena Smile

Speaking of the OBE-anyone heard anything about when he's picking it up?Is there a time limit he has to do it by?
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6950 on: July 14, 2013, 06:44 PM »

Ahh,ok,thanks Elena Smile

Speaking of the OBE-anyone heard anything about when he's picking it up?Is there a time limit he has to do it by?

I believe that there is no time limit. However, courtesy states it should be as soon as possible. otherwise it may be deemed to be disrespectful to Her Majesty.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #6951 on: July 14, 2013, 08:12 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/emilio-sanchez-we-had-to-find-andy-murray-in-his-room-and-get-him-to-train-8707679.html
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: News Articles « Reply #6952 on: July 14, 2013, 09:21 PM »

Nice perspective on the young Andy, when he still had a bit to learn !
Cheers Angie.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6953 on: July 14, 2013, 09:38 PM »

I don't get it either, although I know that DRS, or more correctly, UDRS, stands for Umpire Decision Review Decision, and I think there was something about this in the current Test series (sorry, cricket bores me rigid so I don't follow it other than what I hear on the news) where the DRS went in England's favour.

I believe that there is no time limit. However, courtesy states it should be as soon as possible. otherwise it may be deemed to be disrespectful to Her Majesty.
Surely HM's advisers must have told her that Andy is out of the country a lot?  Unfortunately nobody could foresee that he was going to pull out of RG, but I'd have thought though that he might have been able to pick it up between Queens and Wimbledon, or now.  However he's going to have to fit in with the Investitures, not the other way round.  I see the last one was held on 7 June, but can't find the date for the next one, although perhaps they keep that secret for a reason - like they don't want mobs of photographers around in the hope of catching a few celebs, even although they would never get into the grounds.   
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6954 on: July 14, 2013, 10:06 PM »

Next awards are New Years and they won't be made public until after Christmas.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6955 on: July 14, 2013, 10:06 PM »

Just imagine how good he might have been if he went to Barcelona earlier.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #6956 on: July 14, 2013, 10:10 PM »

Next awards are New Years and they won't be made public until after Christmas.
So he really has to pick it up before then.  At least 14 Investitures are held each year at Buckingham Palace, plus a handful in Edinburgh or Cardiff, so surely there must be some date which will suit him.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6957 on: July 14, 2013, 10:12 PM »

Who in this day cares a  poo(sorry Veronica).... about titles, everyone who is successfull in any sphere of life ,sport or business and will highlight the incumbent Government will get one ......The only titles important to our Andy are tennis ones.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #6958 on: July 14, 2013, 10:29 PM »

Andy might get his OBE at Holyrood House in Edinburgh when the Royals come north for their summer break. They normally do some stuff up here before heading to Balmoral. When Andy gets back from this 5 day break he said he hoped to spend some time in Dumblane which is about 30 mins from Edinburgh.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #6959 on: July 14, 2013, 10:33 PM »

Andy might get his OBE at Holyrood House in Edinburgh when the Royals come north for their summer break. They normally do some stuff up here before heading to Balmoral. When Andy gets back from this 5 day break he said he hoped to spend some time in Dumblane which is about 30 mins from Edinburgh.

He said he is taking a 5 day break before training starts again next Saturday, so a trip to Scotland sounds unlikely.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 463 [464] 465 466 467 ... 640 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »