Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 467 [468] 469 470 471 ... 726 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 434934 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7005 on: July 17, 2013, 12:39 AM »

Looks like the tweet I saw!I just meant that I don't think Andy ever said that he was going to/in the Bahamas,though more than one news article I've read recently has said that Andy himself said it.
Even if Andy didn't say where he'd landed, I suppose, that as it was a known fact that he and Kim's favourite place is the Bahamas, then it was probably quite a safe bet on the part of journalists.

However I've just been looking through a list of newspaper and mag articles and according to some Andy and Kim are in Ibiza!

By the way, I don't know if you're aware of this website, but it's easiest way of finding out what's being said in the media in the UK and abroad about Andy - http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Tennis/Andy+Murray
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7006 on: July 17, 2013, 12:54 AM »

ROSS HUTCHINS: Andy was chilled... he knew it was his time at Wimbledon

I first met Andy when I was 12 and he was 10 at an international tournament in Scotland, we crossed each others’ paths more and more and became very close friends. That first meeting was 16 years ago so you can imagine how proud I am to have seen him become Wimbledon champion. He is amazing and fully deserved it.

I’m still lost for words to describe how well he played. He normally raises his game for big matches but I felt confident from the very first point. It was long and gruelling but Andy came out on top and that was such an uplifting feeling for all of us in his box. I was in my usual position on the end behind Kim – it’s not superstition just habit and I like having the wall there!

Weirdly, unlike the rest of Britain, I felt calm and relaxed pretty much the whole way through. I was just very happy that he was in the final, a sign that he and Novak Djokovic have taken over tennis. A few of us had spoken earlier in the week about how we wanted it to be Djokovic he faced in the final rather than Juan Martin Del Potro. Winning Wimbledon by beating the No 1 player in the world was the best way to do it.

The way he behaved ahead of that final game made me feel calm. He just did what he always did. He clenched his fist, sat there calmly with his iced towel around his neck and didn’t look stressed out by the moment. The crowd were all chanting his name but he was focused. It’s so easy in big moments to start looking around and fidgeting and losing your focus. But he was chilled out because he knew it was his time

It was all very new to me as I’d not seen him play in a Grand Slam final before. Last year I was playing doubles in Newport because I’d gone out early at Wimbledon, for the Olympics final I was on my way to Montreal and I was at another tournament when he was at the US Open final.

So there was real elation when he won and it was great when he climbed up to see everybody. I just felt so happy for Kim and his parents in particular. They have been by his side and following him around the world for so many years.

I didn’t see much of Andy straight away afterwards though we did get a special moment in the locker room immediately afterwards. We’re not allowed in that locker room during the fortnight so to come in there when everyone else had gone to celebrate him being Wimbledon champion was pretty amazing. We hugged and swapped a few private words.

I don’t think my illness has brought us closer together but when you know someone so well, it makes you then appreciate them even more. Andy responded so well to my news, helping me all the way through. He’s been constantly researching it and helping me even when he doesn’t realise he has been. Any time I had a problem, he’d say ‘Don’t worry, that’s normal’ he’s helped me a lot to stay strong in tough times.

We went to the ball in evening and Andy arrived a bit later. It was a really nice meal, some speeches and pictures with the trophy. It wasn’t like a big party with lots of dancing, more of a quiet meal but it was great.

I saw him at dinner last night but not before because he had so much media to do. Plus there are so many other people who need to see him more than me. It was a special night of close family and friends.

As for my health, there’s going to be tests every six months and there’s always the chance the illness could come back. But you can sometimes turn bad situations into positives and I’ve tried to do that in the past six months. I wanted to come out on top in terms of the cancer and in terms of the rest of my life.

It’s odd in that working with Andy on the Rally Against Cancer and then him winning Queen’s and Wimbledon means my profile has been raised. But I have so much more that I want to achieve in tennis.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2359098/Ross-Hutchins-best-friend-Andy-Murray-Wimbledon-champion.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7007 on: July 17, 2013, 02:54 AM »

^ Thanks for that lovely article.  It got me all teary-eyed again.  I'm so glad Ross's cancer is in remission, and I hope and pray it stays that way.  His positivity is an inspiration to us all.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7008 on: July 17, 2013, 08:01 AM »

Thanks from me too Gnome! I found the whole thing very touching......Ross's complete faith in Andy ......at the final for one thing and also that Andy had done the research and could say to Ross "Don't worry, that's normal!" and Ross would believe him and stop worrying about it! Andy Murray must be a 'Godsend' to Ross Hutchins.....and to all of us as well!
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7009 on: July 17, 2013, 09:34 AM »

^ Thanks for that lovely article.  It got me all teary-eyed again.  I'm so glad Ross's cancer is in remission, and I hope and pray it stays that way.  His positivity is an inspiration to us all.
Good news indeed - and he has his wedding to look forward to in November.  Andy best man I believe.  November's probably about the only time Andy could do it!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #7010 on: July 17, 2013, 10:04 AM »

What a wonderful article-many thanks Gnome!

So,so glad for Ross that he's doing well and hope and pray it continues.I remember ages ago reading an article with Ross,maybe around the time it came out about his cancer,and he was talking about how much he hoped to be there to see Andy win Wimbledon-so,so happy that he did get to!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7011 on: July 17, 2013, 10:13 AM »

The Scotsman is usually a respectable and reliable newspaper, but here's the section of that article I was referring to -

Wimbledon champion Andy Murray has swapped Centre Court for beach tennis on a well-earned break with girlfriend Kim Sears.

The Scot tweeted that the holiday in the Bahamas was a chance for him to enjoy a period of relaxation.

Arriving on Sunday night, he wrote: “Just got off flight … Nice 5 day break coming up before training starts again next Saturday… Going to eat a lot and do very little else.”

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/scotland/andy-murray-and-kim-sears-in-holiday-tennis-match-1-3002402

Even the Scotsman is prone to a bit of journalistic licence, but IMO, that quote doesn't try to suggest Andy tweeted where he was.  They are telling their readers where he's on holiday (which they found out from another source), and then use the tweet as evidence of what he was going to do on holiday.  In other words, he tweeted about his holiday in the Bahamas, not he tweeted he was on holiday in the Bahamas.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7012 on: July 17, 2013, 02:45 PM »

Thanks to Gnome for posting Ross's article. I meant to do it myself and just completely forgot.

I'm thrilled for Ross that he was able to be there at the final. It must have meant so much to him to see Andy raise that trophy. I hope and pray he continues to do well and wish him every happiness for the future. I look forward to a time when he is playing again too. Seeing Colin Fleming with anyone else just seems weird.

Dare I say it, I think Ross's faith in Andy is an inspiration to all of us too. He actually really did look calm throughout the match! I blame the BBC for making me nervous. The build up was too long Whistle.

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #7013 on: July 17, 2013, 06:01 PM »

Guys,Andy's up for 2 ESPYs awards-best male tennis player and best sporting moment. (Be warned - if you vote for best moment, it does say "Englishman Andy Murray",or at least it did when I voted.Perhaps someone's clued them in and they've changed it since,but I can't see as I've already voted!) Voting ends tonight!

Vote here for Best Moment:

http://t.co/jk0hSIYcYT

and here for Best Male Tennis Player: http://t.co/kVTS4UU0r3

Get voting guys!
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7014 on: July 17, 2013, 06:36 PM »

Found a link to this article via Neil Harman's Twitter. Good read! http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20130707/andy-murray-wimbledon-mens-final/?sct=tn_bf3_a5

Wimbledon title ends torturous wait for Murray, Great Britain

"WIMBLEDON, England -- When it ended, the boy didn't turn first to his loving mother. The player didn't turn to his demanding coach. The lad didn't turn to his long-suffering girlfriend, the endorser didn't turn to the suits that handle his money, the patriot didn't turn to the fans waving flags. That would all come, but not yet. Because this moment didn't concern all those other roles and relations in Andy Murray's life. No, this was about years of slow torture, and about making sure that the tools of that torture understand."
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7015 on: July 17, 2013, 06:49 PM »

Guys,Andy's up for 2 ESPYs awards-best male tennis player and best sporting moment. (Be warned - if you vote for best moment, it does say "Englishman Andy Murray",or at least it did when I voted.Perhaps someone's clued them in and they've changed it since,but I can't see as I've already voted!) Voting ends tonight!

Get voting guys!
Did both! Thanks Dani!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7016 on: July 17, 2013, 11:40 PM »

Get voting guys!
Done both - and Andy's British now on best moment. Very Happy  It wouldn't surprise me if there were a few complaints about that error!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7017 on: July 17, 2013, 11:56 PM »

Voted for both Andy and Serena. Cmon Andy and Serena!
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7018 on: July 18, 2013, 12:39 AM »

Get voting guys!

I voted when Andy first tweeted about the awards. At that point they were calling him English. He's Scottish or British. I will never understand why that is so difficult for people. Although some Brits also seem to have trouble with it. If I had a £1 for every single time I've read that Andy is Scottish and not British I'd be very wealthy.

From the ESPYS twitter feed..

Best Moment winner Jack Hoffman, a 7-year-old cancer patient who scored a TD in Nebraska's spring game. Keep shining.
[ Last edit by IonaRed July 18, 2013, 04:37 AM ] IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7019 on: July 18, 2013, 08:26 AM »

Gonna be a busy Sept for Andy with the US Open, Davis Cup and then Bankok, kinda surprised seen as it's a 250. Wonder whether he'll still be playing Tokoyo.

RT @ATPThailandOpen: Wimbledon champ Murray leads three of World’s Top 10 headlining Thailand Open 2013 http://t.co/YPLI3duegN
[ Last edit by Milly87 July 18, 2013, 11:01 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 467 [468] 469 470 471 ... 726 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »