Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 469 [470] 471 472 473 ... 772 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 488641 times)
circe
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7035 on: July 18, 2013, 08:33 PM »

I really enjoyed reading this article - thanks for posting snorkel.maiden. Smile

+1
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: News Articles « Reply #7036 on: July 18, 2013, 08:33 PM »

@Snorkel.maiden  That account of the events that historic day sends shivers up and down my spine. I still get goose-bumps every time I read about Andy's win.

Monumental.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7037 on: July 18, 2013, 09:38 PM »

@Snorkel.maiden  That account of the events that historic day sends shivers up and down my spine. I still get goose-bumps every time I read about Andy's win.

Monumental.

Good posting! one of my favourite articles so far ... and I've read a lot in the past couple of weeks!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7038 on: July 19, 2013, 02:50 AM »

That's definitely my favourite article because you can just feel the emotion pulsing through it.  Whoever wrote it deserves an award for descriptive journalism.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7039 on: July 19, 2013, 03:20 PM »

I love this - and I'm sure it will appeal to Andy's sense of humour

MEET 'ANDY MURRAY': THE (FEMALE) PENGUIN

Game, set and splash: A penguin has been named after Wimbledon tennis champion Andy Murray – although it is a female bird.

Four female Humboldt penguins have been named after Andy Murray and his girlfriend Kim, mum Judy and grandmother Shirley by St Andrews Aquarium in Fife.

The birds arrived in May at the centre and the aquarium held a nationwide competition to name the animals.

John Mace, aquarium manager, said: "It was a tough decision to pick a winner out of literally hundreds of suggestions, but one theme kept coming through strongly in a lot of the entries.

“We had lots of Andys, Murrays and Wimbles but, because the penguins are girls, we had to be a little more creative.

"One of the entrants, Elspeth Badger from Perthshire, picked out the names of Andy's girlfriend and Mum and we added in his granny to the mix.

“It's a perfect tribute to Andy's success and he's welcome to come and visit any time he's in town."

Ms Badger said: "I was actually in Dunblane watching Andy Murray win the Wimbledon match and it was an amazing experience to be there when the home crowd roared to celebrate his victory.

“I can't wait to visit Andy, Judy, Kim and Shirley the penguins to say hello."

http://news.uk.msn.com/in-pictures/meet-andy-murray-the-female-penguin
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7040 on: July 21, 2013, 08:06 PM »

Murray & the Ashes blamed for store's sales slump

The biggest department store group in Britain John Lewis has blamed Andy Murray triumphing at Wimbledon and the first Ashes Test for a fall in their sales.

Murray became the first Briton in 77 years to win at SW19 when he defeated Novak Djokovic in the final, while England took a 1-0 series lead against Australia with a 14-run victory at Trent Bridge.

And this had led John Lewis to pin the blame on those two British triumphs for their slump in sales in recent weeks with shoppers staying out of their stores - as they revealed their year on year sales figure fell 8.7% to £64.2 million.

"The week started with Andy Murray clinching the Wimbledon title, which meant that all those who were not out in the sunshine spent the afternoon indoors watching the tennis," the department store said, adding that the hot weather the country has been experiencing has also played its part.

"From Wednesday onwards sport lovers had the first of the Ashes test matches to watch … So with the festival of sport and with the most glorious heatwave weather it was not surprising to see a heavy deficit on trade from last year."

http://www.espn.co.uk/more/sport/story/223055.html
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7041 on: July 21, 2013, 08:11 PM »

Tim Henman on Andy Murray's Wimbledon win

The British former tennis star was in Abu Dhabi last weekend giving advice at the SummerFest Tennis Tournament on Yas Island.

Is this your first trip to Abu Dhabi?

I’ve been here for the HSBC golf tournament and I enjoyed it. I was looking forward to coming for the tennis, obviously; the SummerFest here has been going on for a few years but it’s obviously different with the timing of Ramadan and I was really looking forward to seeing the standard of the players. I hopefully gave them a few things to work on and to go away and think about.

How good was this year’s Wimbledon tournament?

It was amazing. During the whole fortnight there were so many unpredictable matches, right through to the end. Obviously during Andy Murray’s final match the atmosphere was incredible. He showed unbelievable courage and strength of character and mental toughness to get over the line when he was two sets to love, 5-4 games, 40-love up. You think it’s over and he’ll win easily. Then Novak Djokovic fought back and Andy had to save break points. It’s an amazing achievement and he should feel incredibly proud.

What’s been the most exciting part of your trip to Abu Dhabi?

Seeing some of the young talent and trying to help them out a bit. There’s obviously a big interest in the game over here, and there’s a huge interest in sport in the region in general. It was good fun.

Could someone from the UAE win Wimbledon?

It’s a really tough thing to do. The standard of the game is so high. But there’s absolutely no reason why not. They’ve got good facilities here and there’s some good coaching in the region. But I think it boils down to the desire and the motivation of the individuals and it’s a big commitment. Hopefully there are going to be more and more people playing the game and the better ones always come through to the top of the game.

It must be inspirational having a former star giving local players tips?

Role models are important. They especially are in the UK. Look at what Andy Murray has been able to achieve. I think we’ve got to really latch onto that and try and get the next generation of kids playing tennis.

What common mistakes do people make when learning to play tennis?

There are different things, such as people try to hit the ball a bit too hard. It’s all about working out what [ability] they’ve got and working on some of their technical issues.

Did you go sightseeing in Abu Dhabi?

Yes. I’ve never visited at this time of year so I was expecting it to be brutally hot. I was quite interested to see how hot it was going to be – and it was
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7042 on: July 21, 2013, 08:15 PM »

Brad Gilbert - Andy Murray´s next goal should be to become world number one

Andy Murray never looked likely to be a one-slam wonder. After making his breakthrough at the US Open last year, it appeared to be a matter of time before he won his second major. The French Open aside, Murray is a genuine contender for the sport’s biggest crowns these days and after winning Wimbledon, he may even arrive in New York next month as the favourite to defend his title at Flushing Meadows.

Over the past fortnight, numerous pundits have been quick to give their opinion on the number of slams that Murray will ultimately end up with but his former coach Brad Gilbert believes that setting thresholds is a futile exercise.

“You know what’s most important?” Gilbert said. “You just work hard, keep working on your game and then you go from 2-3 and then from 3-4. I don’t want to put a number because that could be selling him short or you could put too high of a number and you put too much pressure on him. To me I think Andy’s next goal should be to win the [US] Open and become number one in the world.”

Unseating Novak Djokovic at the top of the rankings is not easy, simply because of the Serb’s consistency in the big events. You have to go back to the 2010 French Open to find the last time Djokovic failed to reach the semi-finals of a major tournament and Murray would need him to suffer a series of shock defeats in order to usurp his points tally by the end of 2013.

“You just look at how many people have done it since 1973 and that tells you how tough it is,” Gilbert said.
 Wimbledon 2013 was one of the most unpredictable Grand Slams in years with Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Maria Sharapova all losing to players ranked outside the top 100 but as Gilbert points out, at the end of the day the world number one and two still reached the final of the men’s singles. However as ever it was the side stories which arguably provided the most fascinating narrative this year.

Jerzy Janowicz stunned the tennis world with his run to the Paris Masters final as a qualifier last November but at Wimbledon he showed that he has genuine top ten potential as he powered his way through an open draw to reach the semi-finals and after coming through a testing four setter against the Pole, Murray earmarked him as a player who can reach the very top.

Gilbert says that the challenge for Janowicz is to find a way to produce that level of tennis on a more regular basis.
“He actually came into Wimbledon after a pretty marginal year,” he said. “He was like 47th place on the ATP Race for the year. Obviously he stepped up tremendously and if he plays like that week in, week out, he can be in the top eight in the world in no time but the crux for him is consistency. Before Wimbledon, in Halle he lost to a guy ranked 250 first round. So for him it’s all about consistency but if he can continue playing like he did at Wimbledon, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was in the top eight in the world in the next twelve months.”

In the top half of the draw, it was heart-warming to see Juan Martin Del Potro back to his very best after his injury woes of the past three years. Del Potro eventually fell to Djokovic in a compelling five setter but not before recording a straight sets win over David Ferrer in the quarter-finals and Gilbert believes he’s now playing as well as he did when he won the 2009 US Open.

“He certainly was this tournament,” he said. “His biggest thing is just staying healthy. If he stays healthy for the whole year he will be ranked where he was back then.”
However from an American perspective, this year’s Wimbledon was a tournament to forget. Serena Williams went in as the overwhelming favourite but crashed out in the fourth round to Sabine Lisicki. And it was even more disastrous for the American men. For the first time since 1912, they had no representatives in the third round and Gilbert admits that right now it isn’t looking especially promising for them.

“For those young guys, they’re under a lot more pressure,” he said. “We’re not at the same level as we were before and we’re expecting them to be the next Agassi, the next Courier, the next Sampras. I think that now we need to see if we can get guys in the top 20, inside the top 10, make small bridges The best athletes in tennis right now, we’re getting them on the female side. We’re not quite getting the elite level of athlete on the male side. Hopefully that will come. All I can say is that I’m hopeful. I don’t know what’s going on with every single player but we’ve just to be patient and hope that something’s going to turn around.”

The Williams sisters have flown the flag almost exclusively for the American women since Lindsay Davenport and Jennifer Capriati retired but at long last there are a string of genuine world class prospects coming through. 2013 has been a breakthrough season for Sloane Stephens and she was the last American stranding at Wimbledon but in years to come she may look back at her quarter-final loss to Marion Bartoli with more than a few regrets.

“I think Sloane and Madison Keys both have great potential,” Gilbert said. “On the ladies side for the US, we have some great athletes who are elite level and can go far in the game. She was a little bit unlucky in that match against Marion Bartoli and Bartoli went on to win the tournament! So you never know that if Sloane had won that match, she could have won the tournament.”

And what about Bartoli? It was a fairytale fortnight for her but is she capable of winning more Grand Slams?
“Well before the tournament I would have given you 1000/1 that she would have won it but who knows!”

Keys has pinpointed as the pick of the bunch when it comes to the next generation in women’s tennis and she showed her class at Wimbledon, reaching the fourth round before losing a close tussle to Agnieszka Radwanska.

“Of all the teenagers, I think Madison Keys is by far the best,” Gilbert said. “Of the other young ones I like Sloane Stephens and I like the Croatian girl, Donna Vekic. And I like Laura Robson as well. Those four have all got great futures. But when you’re 18, 19 you want to improve all aspects of your game. Nothing you do at 19 you can say you’re set with.”

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Brad-Gilbert---Andy-Murrays-next-goal-should-be-to-become-world-number-one-articolo11558.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7043 on: July 21, 2013, 08:42 PM »

Murray & the Ashes blamed for store's sales slump

The biggest department store group in Britain John Lewis has blamed Andy Murray triumphing at Wimbledon and the first Ashes Test for a fall in their sales.

Murray became the first Briton in 77 years to win at SW19 when he defeated Novak Djokovic in the final, while England took a 1-0 series lead against Australia with a 14-run victory at Trent Bridge.

And this had led John Lewis to pin the blame on those two British triumphs for their slump in sales in recent weeks with shoppers staying out of their stores - as they revealed their year on year sales figure fell 8.7% to £64.2 million.

"The week started with Andy Murray clinching the Wimbledon title, which meant that all those who were not out in the sunshine spent the afternoon indoors watching the tennis," the department store said, adding that the hot weather the country has been experiencing has also played its part.

"From Wednesday onwards sport lovers had the first of the Ashes test matches to watch … So with the festival of sport and with the most glorious heatwave weather it was not surprising to see a heavy deficit on trade from last year."

http://www.espn.co.uk/more/sport/story/223055.html
And now they'll probably be blaming the golf. Rolling Eyes  But if JL were affected, surely their competitors were too, so I don't see where their problem is.

Thanks for the other two articles.  Brad Gilbert's comments are very interesting, and I agree that it's silly to try and predict how many Slams Andy might win.  I like what he says about Delpo too, since he's one of my favourite players.

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7044 on: July 21, 2013, 11:27 PM »

And now they'll probably be blaming the golf. Rolling Eyes  But if JL were affected, surely their competitors were too, so I don't see where their problem is.
I don't think there has been any comment on whether or not their competitors were also hit.  I don't see how that makes any difference, as their objective is to make a profit, not to simply compare well with rivals.  If all of them took a hit, then none of them are doing well, so the would all have to justify themselves to share-holders. 

I see it as explaining why their sales figures are the way they are.   The problem comes if the dip in sales figures are assumed to be a problem with the business model, so they try to restructure everything, or someone gets the sack, when in reality, everyone was sitting on the beach/watching tennis.  After all, any business experiencing a more permanent dip in sales of 8.7% year on year would normally be in a lot of trouble.

Personally, I don't see how it can be interpreted as complaining.  They probably mentioned it a bit tongue in cheek, and I think it's flattering to Andy/tennis/sport, that it's getting the "blame" for distracting people from shopping! lol  I'm sure they thought people would have a laugh when they read it, and besides, it's not their fault if the mainstream media decide to pick up on a business story.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7045 on: July 22, 2013, 01:14 PM »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1700997-ranking-the-10-most-skilled-players-on-the-atp-tour

List their Top Ten (Skills) Men's Tennis Players currently.

As an AM fan I do not agree with this list, they are obviously Roger Federer fans and mini-me Federer, listed number 2 here!!
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: News Articles « Reply #7046 on: July 22, 2013, 01:18 PM »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1700997-ranking-the-10-most-skilled-players-on-the-atp-tour

List their Top Ten (Skills) Men's Tennis Players currently.

As an AM fan I do not agree with this list, they are obviously Roger Federer fans and mini-me Federer, listed number 2 here!!

In that Federer article, I'm disgusted how they refer to Mayer as a 'journeyman'. He's been very consistent in the Top 20 until he failed to defend his Wimbledon QF points.
[ Last edit by GangstaMurray July 22, 2013, 01:22 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #7047 on: July 23, 2013, 07:06 AM »

^ OMG agreeing with gangsta  Whistle
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7048 on: July 23, 2013, 05:59 PM »

http://broganrogantrevinoandhogan.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/andy-murray-the-man-on-the-moon-and-another-brick-in-the-wall-please/
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7049 on: July 23, 2013, 07:11 PM »

Enjoyable article.  Thanks John.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 469 [470] 471 472 473 ... 772 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »