Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 470 [471] 472 473 474 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 466199 times)
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7050 on: July 23, 2013, 11:10 PM »

http://www.thephuketnews.com/andy-murray-murray-confirmed-for-thailand-open-40922.php.   Awesome - love this wee tournament.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7051 on: July 23, 2013, 11:37 PM »

That's really interesting, thanks. Smile
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7052 on: July 24, 2013, 02:21 AM »

I just read this on another forum I visit.

"A work colleague of mine was at a wedding in Barcelona last weekend and amazingly enough he had his photo taken wearing Andy Murray's Olympic gold medal. Apparently Andy's best friend from Glasgow was there and he trusts him enough to let him show his medal around. Kind of unreal really. Imagine if the strap broke and he lost it. Kinda speechless really. Saw the photo today in work."

That seems highly unlikely. Can anybody imagine Andy letting any friend carry his medal around with him?
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7053 on: July 24, 2013, 03:13 AM »

Roger Federer has confirmed that he will be playing at the Brisbane International. I'm assumng Andy will be be there again. Can we hope for a Murray v Fed final?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7054 on: July 24, 2013, 03:17 AM »

"A work colleague of mine was at a wedding in Barcelona last weekend and amazingly enough he had his photo taken wearing Andy Murray's Olympic gold medal. Apparently Andy's best friend from Glasgow was there and he trusts him enough to let him show his medal around. Kind of unreal really. Imagine if the strap broke and he lost it. Kinda speechless really. Saw the photo today in work."

That seems highly unlikely. Can anybody imagine Andy letting any friend carry his medal around with him?
Definitely not!  I bet that medal, like his other trophies, is never taken outside his house, not even by Andy himself.  It sounds like his 'best friend from Glasgow' was some numptie trying to impress his pals and anyone else daft enough to believe his story and his fake medal.  
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #7055 on: July 24, 2013, 08:08 AM »

Roger Federer has confirmed that he will be playing at the Brisbane International. I'm assumng Andy will be be there again. Can we hope for a Murray v Fed final?

Hope so!   cmon yeah
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7056 on: July 24, 2013, 08:18 AM »

Seems implausible.  I know Andy was encouraging all of his family to try it on after he won, and one of my favourite memories of his trip back to Dunblane last summer were the gasps when Andy handed his medals to the school children, so I'm sure Andy is happy to let people have a go.   But it just doesn't make sense that he'd let a friend take it on their holidays, just to show it off to random people.

Interesting about Fed in Brisbane.  It sounds as if he thinks he would benefit from a warm-up tournament before the Australian Open, possibly hoping for a gentle start to the season.  Perhaps anticipating that he might change racquets again?   Or maybe even making a statement that he's not retiring yet.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7057 on: July 24, 2013, 10:23 AM »

Roger Federer has confirmed that he will be playing at the Brisbane International. I'm assumng Andy will be be there again. Can we hope for a Murray v Fed final?
Can't see Federer getting as far as that.  Anyway, by January he'll be only about 5th Seed at Brisbane and will lose to Andy in the Qtrs!!
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7058 on: July 24, 2013, 10:24 AM »

Complete ********!!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7059 on: July 24, 2013, 11:00 AM »

Can't see Federer getting as far as that.  Anyway, by January he'll be only about 5th Seed at Brisbane and will lose to Andy in the Qtrs!!

Haha, Roger will be the 2nd seed for certain. Rafa and Ferrer won't play Brisbane and Andy will be the first seed, so the logical next seed would be Roger. Some big names do play in Brisbane so there could be a chance that Roger loses in the quarters or the semis or the final.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7060 on: July 24, 2013, 12:10 PM »

That would be fun. It's funny, I'm really starting to enjoy their matches. I can't think why Whistle.

Sounds like Fed feels he needs a warm up for the AO.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: News Articles « Reply #7061 on: July 24, 2013, 01:50 PM »

It's interesting that Federer's opted to play Brisbane rather than Doha, which he played for years (though not this year).

Hope he and Andy get to the final - I always like their matches.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #7062 on: July 24, 2013, 02:31 PM »

Andy's uncle niall has ordered him a bespoke personalized poker table.

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/andy-murray-s-uncle-gifts-personalised-poker-table-1-3012387
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7063 on: July 24, 2013, 06:12 PM »

I knew I'd seen Petch quoted after Wimbledon, but I couldn't remember where. Well here it is, from Sky Sports website.

Mark Petchey calls on nation to cherish 'special' Andy Murray

Mark Petchey says Andy Murray is a special sportsman, who should be cherished nationwide for his dedication and unique ability.

The Sky Sports pundit was speaking after watching the Scot end Britain's 77-year wait for a men's singles champion at Wimbledon with an outstanding straight sets victory over Novak Djokovic in blazing sunshine on Centre Court.

Petchey coached Murray between 2005 and 2006 and says Murray has been willing to push himself to the limit for success - and now deserves to be recognised as a great champion.

He told Sky Sports News: "You need to have a depth of character and you need to have resilience, but you need exquisite skill as well, which is what he displayed today to win these championships.

"Everything has got to converge and come together and he's put the hard yards in. He's bought a place in Miami, not because he wants to go to South Beach and hang out in the nightclubs, but because he wants to go there and sweat it out in the insanely hot heat and get fit enough for a day like today when it could have gone five or six hours.

"Andy has gone to the nth degree, he's left no stone unturned and he's a very unique character. He's a very special champion and I'm not sure we're going to see another one in our lifetime.
"It took 77 years and we've got one now and I think we need to embrace him, cherish him and enjoy the moments that he's around for however long that will be."

Murray broke his major championship duck in the US Open Final last year when he beat Djokovic in five sets and Petchey believes that triumph set the scene for Sunday's success.

But he says there is no doubt that winning the sport's biggest prize in front of a home crowd must go down as the ultimate achievement for any British tennis player.

Petchey added: "I'm sharing in the joy of all British tennis fans right now and any sports fan in Britain as well to see somebody go out and achieve the pinnacle of their career in front of a home crowd in the manner that he did against somebody that is a great champion, a world number one and has won this title before.

"The quality of the tennis that was produced out there was just sensational from Andy's perspective. It was pretty emotional at the end of the match.

"This was the Holy Grail. This was climbing Everest for him, being a British player. Obviously it was massive in New York to win his first [Grand Slam] and we'd waited 76 years for that.

"So let's not underplay what he achieved in New York with Novak coming back for two sets before getting it done in the fifth against somebody who'd barely lost on a hard court in the previous two years. That was an accomplishment all of its own.

"But there's no question that here, with the media spotlight on him and with everything that's gone on to this stage, including the Olympic Championship and the gold medal that he won last year, everybody was expecting great things today.

"To go out and perform to the necessary level - because Novak played about as well as he can - speaks volumes about Andy."

Three of the last four major finals have been contested between Djokovic and Murray and they have established themselves as the top two players in the world ahead of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.
The Serb will remain top of the rankings after Murray missed the French Open, but Petchey says the British player could claim the world number one spot before the end of the year.

"I think he's got a great shot," he added.

"Obviously it was disappointing for him to miss the French Open. There's a lot of ranking points on offer there and clearly that was something that got Novak ahead of him right now.

"But it's definitely the Novak and Andy rivalry right now. Rafa's in the mix at the moment, as is Roger, but those two - in terms of the major finals that they've played at New York, Australia and now here at Wimbledon are certainly going to be vying for number one by the end of the year.

"It's going to be fantastic to see that race and it'd be another tick in the resume if Andy can get there.

"You wouldn't bet against it."
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: News Articles « Reply #7064 on: July 24, 2013, 06:14 PM »

hehe. Aye, and I bet the chocolate inside was lovely !
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 470 [471] 472 473 474 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »