Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 473 474 475 [476] 477 478 479 ... 721 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 426925 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7125 on: July 31, 2013, 06:42 PM »

yes it is interesting not least as so rare for anyone to call out  the goat in public like that.  But I do wonder whether Nadal's change in attitude had something to do with the way Nole celebrated the first time he beat Rafa on his home turf?
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #7126 on: July 31, 2013, 07:19 PM »

Rafael Nadal vs. Andy Murray: Anticipation Builds for Elusive Rematch

By Andrew Prochnow | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 1 hour 0 minutes ago
Email

COMMENTARY | Andy Murray took Wimbledon by storm this year and satiated an entire kingdom with his impressive run on the grass in London.
 Murray took down the No. 1 player in the world, Novak Djokovic, in fairly routine fashion and consequently put himself in position for a real shot at the world's top ranking by the end of year. 
 Going back to 2012, Murray has now appeared in four of the last five Slam finals. If there was ever any doubt that the pairing of Murray and Ivan Lendl as student and coach was a good idea, any such notions have been whisked away like a fly in the Queen's soup. 
Murray has officially arrived and is showing off a new brand of mental toughness that can only be attributed to the addition of Lendl to his team.
If you watched the aftermath of the Wimbledon final this year, there should be no doubt about this assertion.
After closing the match against Djokovic, Murray made his way into the stands and delivered a bear hug to Lendl before embracing either his mother or girlfriend.
Then, in an on-court interview, Murray mentioned only two people from his team -- his mother and Ivan Lendl. Given that Murray won his first two Slam titles after hiring this all-time great, it was refreshing to see the spoils so generously (and appropriately) spread.
The rise of Murray as a real factor on tour has created a lot of extra excitement around this year's US Open. In the last five years, five different players have won the US Open, giving it the largest field of legitimate contenders of any current Slam.
Intrigue Reigns on Hard Court
 As the American hard-court season approaches, the excitement of Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray finally squaring off again has to be one of the most anticipated matchups remaining in 2013. 
The pair have not met on court in nearly two years, which was well before Lendl joined Murray's entourage.
 During 2011, Nadal beat Murray at the French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open -- which is about as one-sided as a rivalry can be. Three consecutive Slams, three different surfaces and three victories for Nadal. 
Maintaining an overall head-to-head record of 13-4 against Murray, Nadal has simply thrived against the Scot throughout their "rivalry." The question that now hangs in the balance is whether the new mental fortitude instilled by Lendl will be strong enough to match the never-die attitude of the Spaniard.
Since their last meeting in 2011, both players have won two Grand Slam titles. Nadal has appeared in three total Grand Slam finals during that time frame, while Murray has appeared in four.
While the two have each experienced success since their last meeting, they have peaked at different times due to injuries and surface preferences.
Nadal missed the Australian Open this year because of his continuing knee problems, and then Murray missed the French Open because of an injury to his back.
Interestingly, each player has already taken a second-tier hard-court tournament this year with Nadal winning at Indian Wells and Murray winning in Miami. Those titles suggest their rivalry could be rekindled when the tour returns to hard court in the United States.
The drought since their last meeting is by far the longest between any of the Big Four, which on its own should provide enough of a reason to tune in when a draw finally does unite their destinies.
In such a match something most certainly will have to give. Nadal's past success in their history is set to collide with Murray's momentum and those conditions should make for a tantalizing encounter.
Lendl will most assuredly craft a new strategy for Murray to implement against Nadal, and watching the tactics unfold could represent some of the most compelling tennis in 2013.
 Successfully solving Nadal could translate directly into the No. 1 ranking for Andy Murray. A worthy prize should the Scot complete the process of exorcising one last demon. 
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7127 on: July 31, 2013, 08:36 PM »

I remember at one point that Andy was rumoured to want to make changes and come away from Simon Fuller's company. Maybe getting someone else involved, someone who has played the game, is something of a compromise with that.

The thing is, I see no point in worrying about Andy working with someone like Bhupathi, or Simon Fuller for that matter. Of course their role is to increase Andy's profile and earning potential. That is what they are for.
It's a good point that that's what they are there for.  I did get the impression that the rumours about Andy wanting to leave came because they knew word was out for someone to look after that side of things, but Fuller has a reputation for partnership working, so I expect the plan was always to have someone from the tennis side of things working brought in to work with the existing personnel who have already been working with Andy, know what he wants, and with a great deal of experience of press/PR and (as much as I hate the word) branding.

The press like to link Fuller to the Spice Girls, but usually forget to mention that he's managed Annie Lennox for a very long time.  I remember her saying (years ago) that the media presumption is that he's all pushing for big business deals, but she loves working with him, because they've got a great relationship, there's a lot of trust, and he doesn't try to make her do anything she doesn't want to do.  He listens to what she wants, and works makes that happen for her.

A good PR/management company doesn't just push the image of their client, they should be protecting their interests, and so far I think XIX have done that for Andy.    I'm convinced that if Andy had been with a company like that back when he made his England joke, the papers wouldn't have dared to run with it the way they did.  They'd have been put in their place very quickly.

At the same time, I remember an interview with Fuller talking about his pop acts, and saying that he liked to get them sponsorship deals, not just because of the money, but because when an act works with a big brand, the might and PR of that big brand take care of a lot of the promotional side of things.  In the case of The Spice Girls, it would be someone like Pepsi, whereas with Andy it's mainly going to be the sports brands, such as Adidas and HEAD who make sure Andy gets good write-ups in the sports press and anywhere else they might advertise, (as well as keeping him in shorts, shoes and racquets).

IMO, a good management company gets on and does stuff on your behalf, so their client doesn't need to worry about it.  Bhupathi seems very keen, which should be good, but makes me a bit anxious he'll be over-zealous and could go over the top.  Then again, hopefully he knows the tennis tour well enough to know when is a good time to discuss brilliant business ideas, and when Andy needs to be left alone and protected from those distractions.

Anyway, I don't know why any of us are worrying about Andy being distracted by new business ideas.  He seems far too interested in his Fantasy Football League team to have time for them!  Whistle
[ Last edit by *Sparkle* July 31, 2013, 08:39 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7128 on: July 31, 2013, 09:23 PM »

Bhupathi is just behind fame and money.
My feelings exactly, Sabine.  

The article actually says that Bhupathi is one of Andy's main business manager's, not the only one, so I don't suppose Simon Fuller will be bothered.

I remember at one point that Andy was rumoured to want to make changes and come away from Simon Fuller's company. Maybe getting someone else involved, someone who has played the game, is something of a compromise with that.

The thing is, I see no point in worrying about Andy working with someone like Bhupathi, or Simon Fuller for that matter. Of course their role is to increase Andy's profile and earning potential. That is what they are for.

The encouraging thing for me is that Andy has already spoken about not wanting to get distracted and wanting to focus on winning more slams. If that is his approach he won't go far wrong.
thumb up

Changing the subject, I read in a newspaper the other day in which stated that work has now begun on refurbishing on Cromlix House, so it looks as though all the planning permission problems have been sorted out. yay
[ Last edit by Aileen July 31, 2013, 09:31 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7129 on: July 31, 2013, 10:15 PM »

angie: re the piece about Rafa, I guess they could well meet in Montreal as they'll be seeded to meet in the SFs. That will certainly be the match of the tournament I'd have thought, should they both make the SFs.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7130 on: July 31, 2013, 10:18 PM »

angie: re the piece about Rafa, I guess they could well meet in Montreal as they'll be seeded to meet in the SFs. That will certainly be the match of the tournament I'd have thought, should they both make the SFs.

I really hope it does happen Ruthie... I'm eager to see them play each other again Smile
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7131 on: July 31, 2013, 10:19 PM »

I really hope it does happen Ruthie... I'm eager to see them play each other again Smile

Yes, but first Paire-Andy, no? Just to see where my allegiance lies Very Happy.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7132 on: July 31, 2013, 10:19 PM »

me too Angie and I hope Andy is totally ruthless in dispatching Rafa - a bit like that time he beat him in Tokyo.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7133 on: July 31, 2013, 10:21 PM »

me too Angie and I hope Andy is totally ruthless in dispatching Rafa - a bit like that time he beat him in Tokyo.

Although just remembering.... I'm gonna be in the middle of the ocean whilst semi final is on....duh!!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7134 on: July 31, 2013, 10:23 PM »

Yes, but first Paire-Andy, no? Just to see where my allegiance lies Very Happy.

You bloody well know where your allegiance lies if you know what's good for you boyo!!  naughty
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7135 on: July 31, 2013, 10:26 PM »

Although just remembering.... I'm gonna be in the middle of the ocean whilst semi final is on....duh!!
well if it happens, perhaps you could at least record it angie.   
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Articles « Reply #7136 on: July 31, 2013, 10:34 PM »

You bloody well know where your allegiance lies if you know what's good for you boyo!!  naughty

One word, Benoit.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7137 on: July 31, 2013, 10:34 PM »

well if it happens, perhaps you could at least record it angie.   

Yes I will certainly be setting it to record. I will be back home for the final though should Andy make it!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7138 on: July 31, 2013, 10:34 PM »

One word, Benoit.

Get off Murrays world you traitor!! Frown
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: News Articles « Reply #7139 on: July 31, 2013, 10:35 PM »