Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 477 [478] 479 480 481 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 466155 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7155 on: August 01, 2013, 12:06 PM »

I can't help it that Benoit is da man!
if so why don't you go and start  Le  Monde Benoir then and leave Murrays World to those for whom Andy is da man?   Whistle
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7156 on: August 01, 2013, 01:55 PM »

I got 2 words for Benoit Paire................Lukasz Kabot  haha
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7157 on: August 01, 2013, 08:09 PM »

SONGWRITER'S ANDY MURRAY TRIBUTE  [Stirling Observer, 31 July]

A Scottish songwriter has penned a unique tribute to tennis star Andy Murray.

In the immediate aftermath of Murray’s Wimbledon win, Bob Robertson took inspiration and wrote a song to mark the occasion only hours after the trophy had been lifted.

The singer then gathered a band of six musicians to record ‘Wee Andy Murray’ at a studio in Elgin, where he lives.

After putting the final touches to the record, he travelled down to the Wimbledon champ’s hometown of Dunblane to promote the song.

“It’s a punchy number,” he said. “I describe it as a warrior song for Andy. It’s quite an upbeat number and focuses on the whole story of the day.

“I drew inspiration from the roar of the crowds at Wimbledon. It also looks at the history of how he’s had the determination to get there.

“It was inspired by him, and I wrote it in about an hour.”

The song describes the match, mentions Novak ‘the Joker’ Djokovic and focuses on the drama of the three set final.

Bob said that he had been following Murray for many years and that the final had been an emotional moment for many people.

He said: “I don’t watch television much, but I always follow him. He has had a hard battle to win Wimbledon but one that has struck me as sensational.”

Bob said that he has written several songs in a similar style over the years, but this is the first one he has written about a tennis player. He also penned an open letter to his hero.

‘Wee Andy Murray’ is available to download on iTunes and is set to appear on YouTube in the next few days.

"Wee Andy Murray"? Rolling Eyes  Sounds like it could be a bit cringeworthy!
IP Logged
Brogan Rogan Trevino and

Re: News Articles « Reply #7158 on: August 02, 2013, 07:01 AM »

Good Morning,

I noticed that one of my blog articles had been linked to the site. If you read it I hoped you enjoyed it and share my wonder at just what an amazing achievement it has been for Andy to win Wimbledon and the US Open.

My son is currently in New York and is hoping to go to Flushing meadows to cheer Andy on when he defends his title.

This is my first post on this forum -- though certainly not my last--- and alas I am going to ask anyone reading to read another story from my own blog which I link here; http://wp.me/p1G95H-Xe

It concerns a little girl from Alloa in Scotland ( quite close to Dunblane ) called Mackenzie Furniss.

Like Ross Hutchins, MacKenzie has cancer. Unlike Ross Hutchins, MacKenzie is dying unless she receives life saving treatment in Germany --- yes she can be saved but her condition is simply not treated by the NHS in Briatain -- and she is by no means alone.

I post this here because help is needed and because far more important than Andy Murray winning Tennis titles, is the fact that Andy clearly showed all of us what should be done when a friend is faced with a life threatening illness--- and he is a bigger man for that than he will ever be for swinging a tennis racquet.

So please read this, pass it on if you feel moved to, and do what you can to help MacKenzie as she is a tot in deep trouble.

Thanks

Brogan Rogan Trevino and Hogan
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: News Articles « Reply #7159 on: August 02, 2013, 03:39 PM »

Anyone read this?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/novak-djokovics-dad-says-andy-2116592
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #7160 on: August 02, 2013, 05:19 PM »

Andy's blog

http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/business-as-usual/
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7161 on: August 02, 2013, 09:03 PM »

I think it's already been posted, Sabine, but reading it again I still don't think it was very wise of Daddy Djokovic to say what he did.

Aww - that's so lovely to read.  Thanks Angie.

IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #7162 on: August 02, 2013, 11:37 PM »

ESPN  reports Roger has withdrawn for the Rogers cup.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7163 on: August 03, 2013, 01:06 AM »

ESPN  reports Roger has withdrawn for the Rogers cup.
And without giving any reason apparently, although he did have back problems in Hamburg and Gstaad and said he might not be fit enough to play in Montreal.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7164 on: August 05, 2013, 12:58 AM »

Heat is on for Andy Murray’s US Open title defence

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/heat-is-on-for-andy-murrays-us-open-title-defence-8745638.html

The American hard-court season traditionally means high temperatures and humidity, but the Scot feels he is in good shape to retain his US crown after winning Wimbledon, writes Paul Newman

The weather forecast for this week’s Montreal Masters brings good news and bad news for Andy Murray. The good news is that the temperature is not expected to rise much above the mid-twenties and that humidity will not generally be a problem. The bad is that most of Murray’s rivals will welcome the good news even more than the 26-year-old Scot.

While nobody relishes the prospect of playing in gruelling heat and  humidity, Murray knows one of the reasons he has enjoyed so much  success on the north American hard-court circuit is that his supreme  levels of fitness give him an advantage over many of his challengers. Nobody works harder than the world No 2 and his labours have repeatedly paid off at this time of the year.

For most of the top players this phase of the season involves just three tournaments: an opening Masters Series event in Canada (which alternates between Toronto and Montreal), another in the following week in what are often brutal conditions in Cincinnati, and finally the US Open, which starts three weeks from today.

Murray has an excellent record in all three. He has won the Canadian tournament at both its venues, has twice triumphed in Cincinnati (his first success there in 2008 brought him his first Masters Series title) and has loved the US Open ever since he won his only junior Grand Slam title there in 2004. Murray reached his first senior Grand Slam final at Flushing Meadows four years later and ended Britain’s 76-year wait for a male Grand Slam singles champion when he beat Novak Djokovic in last year’s final.

It might seem strange for a pale-faced and shy young man from Scotland’s smallest city to revel in the heat and brashness of North America, but he thrives in this part of the world.

“Obviously, there’s really not a whole lot going on in Dunblane,” Murray said on a recent visit to New York. “I started travelling when I was 11 or 12. I came over to the States first time and played the Orange Bowl in Miami when I was 11. I started doing quite a lot of travelling and when I got to 15 I moved over to Barcelona, which is a  pretty energetic city. Then, I came over here the first time when I was that age and I just really enjoyed it. I’ve always liked busy places.”

Miami, in particular, has become a second home for Murray, who flew to Montreal in the middle of last week after spending 10 days in Florida honing his game and his fitness. The Scot had wasted little time in getting back to work following his Wimbledon triumph four weekends ago, though he did afford himself the luxury of a brief holiday in the Bahamas.

“As Montreal is the first Masters 1000 of the US hard-court season it’s hopefully where all the training I do in Miami really starts to pay off,” Murray told readers of his website (www.andymurray.com) last week. “I was the first Brit to win this a few years back in Montreal, so it would be great to do it again this year.”

He added: “The tennis schedule is very busy throughout the year, but I managed to get away for a few days before heading out to Miami to start my training block for the US hard-court stretch.

“I love Miami. It’s great to be able to train there. After spending time playing on grass in the summer, it’s important you refamiliarise yourself with the hard-court surface before heading into the US Open Series, and Miami has some of the best hard courts in the world.

“So after 10 hard working days and a short flight up to Montreal, it brings me up to now, the start of another very busy and important few months,” Murray added. “I always make sure I am in the best possible shape before every tournament, and that routine hasn’t changed, I am relaxed and ready, and can’t wait to get out on the match court.”

Murray has coped well with heat and humidity ever since his days as a teenager training at the Sanchez-Casal academy in Barcelona. He never wilts in New York, where the daytime conditions can be especially tough, while his best record at any Masters Series tournament is in Miami, where he has twice won the title and finished runner-up once.

“Barcelona was definitely hot when I used to train there, but I don’t know if you ever get used to it,” Murray said. “It helps to train in warm weather, but it is not easy conditions to play in. If any of the players told you it was easy, they would be lying. It does help to train in hot climates. If I trained down in London throughout the whole year I would spend a lot of time indoors [because of the] cool weather and breezes. To train abroad is definitely a sacrifice I need to make to be at the top of the game.

“If you put the work in, then you feel comfortable going on the court. If you are afraid of the heat, or worried about how it is going to feel, then it’s not great. But I know I have trained a lot and I know I have come through a lot of tough matches in warm weather, so it doesn’t matter so much to me now.”

Montreal will be a first return to the grind following Wimbledon for most of the world’s top players, though Roger Federer will not be among them. The 31-year-old Swiss took the unusual step of playing in two clay-court tournaments, in Hamburg and Gstaad, in the wake of his early exit from SW19 but aggravated a back problem in the process.

As usual for a Masters Series tournament, where appearance is mandatory for the top players, the opposition is challenging from the start. Although Murray has avoided the half of the draw featuring both Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, he is likely to face some stiff tests if he is to live up to his No 2 seeding and reach the final.

After a first-round bye, Murray’s opening match – which will probably be tomorrow or on Wednesday – will be against either Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov or Spain’s Marcel Granollers.

Dimitrov, who reached the quarter-finals in Washington last week before going down to Tommy Haas, has lost to Murray twice this year but has emerged as one of the most exciting players of his generation. Granollers, who won the fourth singles title of his career when he triumphed at Kitzbühel on Saturday, lost his first two meetings with Murray but won the third when the Scot retired with back trouble in Rome this year.

All four of Murray’s potential  third-round opponents – Fabio Fognini, Ernests Gulbis, Feliciano Lopez and Marco Baghdatis – could be tricky. In the quarter-finals the Scot could face Juan Martin del Potro or Milos Raonic, while David Ferrer or Tomas Berdych could provide semi-final opposition.

While Nadal is an unknown factor – the Spaniard has not been at his best on hard courts in the past and it remains to be seen whether his early exit at Wimbledon was simply a blip following his remarkable recovery from knee trouble – the expectation is that Murray and Djokovic (who has won in Canada three times) will be the players to beat over the next five weeks.

The Scot and the Serb have contested three of the last four Grand Slam finals and their fitness and liking for hard courts are big factors. “I find it’s more natural for me to move on the hard courts,” Murray said. “For all of the guys I think it kind of depends what surface you grew up playing on. I grew up playing on hard courts, so  I don’t find it as tough on the body  as the clay, whereas someone like Nadal might find clay a lot easier on his body.”

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7165 on: August 05, 2013, 10:04 AM »

you beat me to it gnome - it makes up a great centre page spread, with a number of pics from Andy's previous triumphs on US hard courts, in the paper itself.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7166 on: August 05, 2013, 10:27 AM »

Murray: I couldn't pick up a racket for weeks after Wimbledon... now it's back to work

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2384575/Andy-Murray-life-Wimbledon-glory-returns-Rogers-Cup-Montreal.html

In the aftermath of his tumultuous Wimbledon triumph Andy Murray could find peace in only two places: within his own four walls and in the eerie quiet of a deserted Centre Court.

He felt the need to lock himself away at his Surrey home in the days after he became the first British man to win the singles title in 77 years, before returning to where it had all happened for him on that heady Sunday four weeks ago.

Speaking for the first time since going to ground in the wake of his greatest victory, the 26-year-old Scot sat in a corner of the converted baseball stadium here where he will return to action in the Rogers Cup.

‘I spent two days inside my house and I didn’t come out,’ he told Sportsmail.

‘I was just with my girlfriend and my dogs, I was getting followed everywhere so I just stayed inside. On the Thursday evening I went out in Wimbledon Village with a few friends for a Thai meal.’

The place where Murray found most inner contentment was at the All England Club itself: ‘I went there on the Friday to pick some of my stuff up and I wanted to see Doug Dickson, the locker-room attendant who is retiring.

‘There was absolutely nobody there and it’s strange but it was the quietest place I could go.
‘I went and sat on the Centre Court, they were about to rip it up and reseed it. I just sat there on my own, reflecting; that was probably the coolest experience.
‘That week I didn’t have trouble going to sleep but I found myself waking up about four or five every morning and then struggling to get back to sleep.’

The last time he was seen in public was, most unusually, emerging from a West End nightclub in the early hours following the marathon Monday of interviews and a visit to Downing Street.
In Montreal he was back on much more familiar terrain, practising on a court next door to Rafael Nadal, who for once found himself reduced to a mere sideshow as fans packed six-deep into the spectator alleyway to catch a glimpse of the  25-year-old Scot.
Murray has much enjoyed being the champion so far, although there has been the odd inconvenience, such as being stalked when on holiday with girlfriend Kim Sears in the Bahamas.

‘We went down to the beach the first day but then the next day I got messages that there were pictures all over the place. So we didn’t go back there and stayed in the resort.
‘But not much seems to have changed, it’s been good. It’s been really nice getting messages from other players.
‘I probably had more than after the US Open because they can understand how hard it is to win your home Grand Slam.’

Now he starts the build-up to the defence of his US Open title, another novel experience.

With a bye through the first round here he will face either Grigor Dimitrov or Marcel Granollers, against whom he retired at the Italian Open when dreams of Wimbledon glory seemed remote indeed.

Nobody need fear that the Scot has suddenly gone Hollywood on us after the seismic events at SW19. The fact that Murray arrived in the middle of last week to get ready in the company of Ivan Lendl was a statement that his work is far from done for the season.

‘Practising in Miami was going back to reality, it was so hot there I could only practise for one-and-a-half hours per day.
‘I didn’t pick up a racket for two weeks so the first couple of  practices were tough, I was hitting the ball really badly. But when my body started to feel better it started to go better.
‘I got to enjoy winning Wimbledon for a couple of weeks but now it’s back to work. Maybe it’s been easier to get back to work than it was after the US Open.’
This week there will be no more questions about Fred Perry, the kind he became so used to batting away.

Murray added: ‘I’m happy not to hear from now on how long it has been. I was in his shadow for a lot of my career but he is someone who has been very relevant to me. I don’t want to forget about him or about that.

‘I want to try and win another Grand Slams, I want to try and win as many as I can.

‘It took me a long time to win my first one and I want to give myself another opportunity at the US Open. I had a talk with my team about that a few days ago.’

With some distance between now and the events of Wimbledon he also spelled out in frank terms just how great a contribution Lendl has made to two Grand Slam titles and an Olympics in the past year

‘Speaking to him made me feel a little more normal about it. Being able to speak to him on an  emotional level really helped.’

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7167 on: August 05, 2013, 11:07 AM »

Thanks for the Gnome......a very insightful read! Interesting too, that the Bahama photos, seemed to have been taken without permission after all, just as I suspected!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #7168 on: August 05, 2013, 11:32 AM »

Lovely interview Gnomy wub
Wants to win loads more slams yay
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7169 on: August 05, 2013, 11:52 AM »

Thanks for the Gnome......a very insightful read! Interesting too, that the Bahama photos, seemed to have been taken without permission after all, just as I suspected!

Yeah i saw that, i think it was asking too much post Wimbledon though not to have that kind of attention, hope it doesn't become a recurring theme, on the plus side it was fun reading about Andy getting more attention in his warm ups than Rafa Very Happy

Lovely interview Gnomy wub
Wants to win loads more slams yay

And i think he will win more  together

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 477 [478] 479 480 481 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »