Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 479 [480] 481 482 483 ... 787 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 503342 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7185 on: August 07, 2013, 04:30 AM »

^ Hmmm.  I just hope Andy doesn't focus too much on the USO at the expense of Montreal and Cinci.  And anyway hasn't he had plenty of time to get accustomed to playing on hard-courts?  Not matches certainly, but practice is better than nothing, which is what happened in Toronto last year.

Initially i thought Andy may be setting himself up for a fall, but i have come to the conclusion that what he says in interviews doesn't really mirror his own feelings, i think this is just him lowering expectation on purpose and not just for us, he plays possum for the media these days, and is getting very good at it, i still remember his quote during Wimbledon when he said better players than him were getting knocked out early, and then tells his backroom staff that he is glad that he has the worlds best player in the final Very Happy

Still, i think tomorrow won't be a walk in the park for him, he is right in one respect and that he does tend to start off slow when making a transition to a different surface so it wouldn't surprise me if it went to 3 sets, i think he will have to play absolutely rubbish for him to lose against Granola.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7186 on: August 07, 2013, 08:46 AM »

I agree with you Gnome, this reads to me just as Andy keeping things in perspective and lowering expectations. It's reverse psychology really. It worked well for him at Wimbledon, so why not Smile.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a bump or two in the road today (you watch, he'll go and win in two easy sets now Smile ) but as long as he gets through with minimal fuss that'll do.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7187 on: August 07, 2013, 09:18 AM »

Doesn't surprise me at all that Andy should be warning his first match won't be easy.   He's hardly going to say 'yes I will sail through it'.   
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7188 on: August 07, 2013, 12:12 PM »

As ever Andy will do his best, we must expect a few ups and downs especially after winning Wimbledon. We cannot expect him sail through matches without them. He needed a break and I am sure he will be refreshed and be happy to be playing again.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7189 on: August 07, 2013, 07:18 PM »

I agree with you Gnome, this reads to me just as Andy keeping things in perspective and lowering expectations. It's reverse psychology really. It worked well for him at Wimbledon, so why not Smile.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a bump or two in the road today (you watch, he'll go and win in two easy sets now Smile ) but as long as he gets through with minimal fuss that'll do.
Well we got a few of them!  And it wasn't two easy sets either despite a very promising start. lol  But he got the job done in the end. yay

As ever Andy will do his best, we must expect a few ups and downs especially after winning Wimbledon. We cannot expect him sail through matches without them. He needed a break and I am sure he will be refreshed and be happy to be playing again.
As usual it was his fans who were getting edgy while Andy maintained his composure.  You just gotta love him!
[ Last edit by Aileen August 07, 2013, 07:21 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7190 on: August 07, 2013, 07:22 PM »

Probably no bad thing to be tested today - and Peter Fleming agrees with me  Whistle
Which is not to say I wasn't getting edgy Aileen - much as it's good to see Andy out there again, 2 sets were quite enough for now thank you very much   yay
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7191 on: August 07, 2013, 07:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure you are right about this.

There are certain things players say, that cannot be taken too literally.  Not being bothered about winning Wimbledon is one of them, as well as anything to do with their form.  Most of them will claim to be feeling fresh as a daisy and fighting fit at they go into a tournament, even if they have injury niggles.  Nadal being the exception, lol.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7192 on: August 08, 2013, 03:46 AM »

Probably no bad thing to be tested today - and Peter Fleming agrees with me  Whistle
Which is not to say I wasn't getting edgy Aileen - much as it's good to see Andy out there again, 2 sets were quite enough for now thank you very much   yay
Yes two sets were enough for me too!  But I was glad that this was a test for Andy because he's going to have bigger battles later on in the tournament (assuming he defeats Gulbis).
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7193 on: August 08, 2013, 07:46 AM »

well Gulbis himself is likely to be a bigger test Aileen
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7194 on: August 10, 2013, 08:27 PM »

While I was never a Sampras fan it's cheering to read him being so positive about our Andy's chances at USO
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23646090
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7195 on: August 10, 2013, 08:38 PM »

While I was never a Sampras fan it's cheering to read him being so positive about our Andy's chances at USO
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23646090
Thanks Ruthie. Smile
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7196 on: August 12, 2013, 07:00 AM »

Before I go to look after three grandchildren I had a look at the headlines.  Has anyone seen the dreadful headline by the Telegraph?  It is awful and unlike them.  Just as well Andy pays no attention nowa days.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #7197 on: August 12, 2013, 07:29 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/rafaelnadal/10236619/Rafael-Nadal-serves-US-Open-warning-as-Andy-Murray-suffers-double-blow.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7198 on: August 12, 2013, 09:01 AM »

not the usual tennis correspondent for the Torygraph - I don't think he'd have taken such a negative slant.  You can hardly say reaching a masters final in a scratch pairing with a guy you've not played with since a kid 'a blow'.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7199 on: August 12, 2013, 10:41 AM »

not the usual tennis correspondent for the Torygraph - I don't think he'd have taken such a negative slant.  You can hardly say reaching a masters final in a scratch pairing with a guy you've not played with since a kid 'a blow'.

I honestly sometimes wonder where they get these people from. Andy and Colin were playing the second best doubles team in the world, they wouldn't have been expected to win. Given that they beat the 4th, 5th and 6th seeds to get to the final, Andy and Colin did very well.

Is it just me who wonders why these fools write articles when they patently don't have a clue what they are talking about? I thought Simon 'excuse me while I crawl up myself' Briggs was bad enough, but honestly. Mind you, the way the headline is about Andy, but a lot of the article is about Nadal, should tell you all you need to know.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 479 [480] 481 482 483 ... 787 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »