Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 489 [490] 491 492 493 ... 640 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: News Articles  (Read 353017 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7335 on: August 25, 2013, 01:27 PM »

very interesting article Iona.  I loved how Ortega responded to Andy's recent success and how he has handled it.  But what also struck me was what was said about Andy being too aggressive on court and having to learn patience.  The conventional wisdom is that patient defensive play is what comes most naturally to Andy but is this suggesting otherwise?  Has it taken all this time to get the balance right between that original aggression and the necessary patience he was taught there?
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7336 on: August 25, 2013, 02:08 PM »

Well TJ like you I think the best is still to come, and as to winning the French, Ivan Lendl has also said there is no reason why Andy couldn't win it. So it depends on his back and I think if he won The Aussie Open he would be trying for the French to get all the Slams.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7337 on: August 25, 2013, 02:35 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2401554/Andy-Murray-says-time-enjoy-US-Open-memories.html

Some interesting pictures of him shaking hands with Federer with both smiling
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: News Articles « Reply #7338 on: August 25, 2013, 03:52 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2401554/Andy-Murray-says-time-enjoy-US-Open-memories.html

That's nice to see.Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7339 on: August 25, 2013, 05:00 PM »

I quite like the way there is no eye contact. It makes me smile, but I'm weird like that Smile.

No, seriously, I think there is respect between them - well, on Andy's side at least - but I get the feeling they aren't best mates and never will be. I think that's all right. It makes their matches quite entertaining to watch.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #7340 on: August 25, 2013, 07:32 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/10262898/How-Wimbledon-champion-Andy-Murray-developed-into-a-star-at-The-Sanchez-Casal-Academy.html

How Wimbledon champion Andy Murray developed into a star at The Sánchez-Casal Academy

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: News Articles « Reply #7341 on: August 26, 2013, 01:52 AM »

^^Oops. Sorry, Iona. I didn't notice you'd already posted the article.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: News Articles « Reply #7342 on: August 26, 2013, 02:44 AM »

lol It looks like Fed (despite his monogrammed shirt) is nodding deferentially at Andy.  Aye, right - that'll be the day! Whistle 
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #7343 on: August 26, 2013, 09:40 AM »

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/conversations-with-andy-murray-the-return-to-new-york/?_r=0
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7344 on: August 26, 2013, 10:03 AM »

interesting question about whether Andy thinks he'll be seen as a 'less sympathetic character' now.  I guess they meant he won't get the sympathy vote now and I'd wondered that whether he'll get the same level of support as he did in last year's final where it was clear most people there wanted him to win.  And I guess that was partly they wanted him to win his first slam.  So it will be interesting what kind of support he gets this year.  I think he's pretty popular in NY but doesn't have kind of support smugfed has.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7345 on: August 26, 2013, 08:42 PM »

US Open 2013: Andy Murray takes day off in New York to avoid fatigue as he prepares for title defence
Andy Murray did something almost unheard of in New York on Sunday: he took a day off.

With more than a week’s worth of practice on Arthur Ashe Stadium already under his belt, Murray looked at his late entry to the tournament — he is not expecting to face Michael Llodra until Wednesday night — and decided he did not want to be overcooked by the time his title defence begins.

The scheduling is not ideal, as to successfully retain his title, Murray would probably have to squeeze seven five-set matches into 13 days. Whereas Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer – who both start today – will have an extra two days’ grace.

Still, at least Murray says he is feeling relaxed as he waits.

Asked over the weekend if returning as champion brought extra pressure, he replied: “I think there is less pressure. I expect to be pretty nervous because it is a new experience. [But] there was a lot of pressure on me for a lot of years to win a grand slam.”

Meanwhile, world No 1 Novak Djokovic is confident of his chances despite not winning a title since April

He fell to eventual winner Nadal in a French Open semi-final and to Murray in last month’s Wimbledon final.

“You go through these periods. But my confidence is still there. This is a grand slam, so it is different from any other event. When I play Rafa, Roger, Andy, it’s very few points that really decide a winner.

“You can’t really say who is the clear favourite, because it always goes down to the wire who is going to win it.

“That’s the beauty of the sport. That’s the beauty of the rivalries we have at the present moment.”

IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #7346 on: August 26, 2013, 08:45 PM »

This article includes Andy's thoughts on why he'd rather more slams than the no.1 ranking,Lendl's thoughts on Andy's draw (basically,it's not ideal,but Andy just has to deal with it.No mincing words Very Happy ) etc.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2013/08/26/us-open-2013-andy-murray-king-of-new-york/2698409/
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7347 on: August 26, 2013, 08:47 PM »

'This is the Andy Murray era' says former coach ahead of US Open
Mark Petchey, Andy Murray's former coach, says the British tennis star cuts a more relaxed figure with two Grand Slams under his belt, but is determined to add to his tally.

As the hours tick down before the start of the US Open, Andy Murray's former coach says the Scot could be entering the best period of his entire tennis career.

Mark Petchey coached the 2013 Wimbledon champion between 2005 and 2006, when Murray entered the ranks of the top 50 players.

"I really feel like this is his time. I think that a lot of sportsmen go through sort of periods when it's their era, and I kind of feel like this is Andy's era," he said.

He added that the 26-year-old is also "a lot more relaxed" since becoming the first British male champion at Wimbledon in 77 years.

The Petch has spoken
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7348 on: August 26, 2013, 09:15 PM »

'This is the Andy Murray era' says former coach ahead of US Open
Mark Petchey, Andy Murray's former coach, says the British tennis star cuts a more relaxed figure with two Grand Slams under his belt, but is determined to add to his tally.

As the hours tick down before the start of the US Open, Andy Murray's former coach says the Scot could be entering the best period of his entire tennis career.

Mark Petchey coached the 2013 Wimbledon champion between 2005 and 2006, when Murray entered the ranks of the top 50 players.

"I really feel like this is his time. I think that a lot of sportsmen go through sort of periods when it's their era, and I kind of feel like this is Andy's era," he said.

He added that the 26-year-old is also "a lot more relaxed" since becoming the first British male champion at Wimbledon in 77 years.

The Petch has spoken

I read that too. Petch's word is law, simples!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7349 on: August 26, 2013, 09:49 PM »

This article includes Andy's thoughts on why he'd rather more slams than the no.1 ranking,Lendl's thoughts on Andy's draw (basically,it's not ideal,but Andy just has to deal with it.No mincing words Very Happy ) etc.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2013/08/26/us-open-2013-andy-murray-king-of-new-york/2698409/
thanks dani interesting article but I felt an element of damning with faint praise in places
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 489 [490] 491 492 493 ... 640 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »