Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 494 [495] 496 497 498 ... 713 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 411647 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7410 on: September 01, 2013, 09:08 AM »

That piece in the Mail doesn't surprise me at all. Novak has clearly been shaken by the roots at what Andy has done against him in the slams over the last year. It's actually a big compliment to Andy that it has forced Novak to make a change. He's anxious about our boy!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7411 on: September 01, 2013, 09:21 AM »

Having had time now to read what Wilander said properly, I do think he makes a good case for Andy. The thing he said about how good Andy is when his head is right is spot on.

After Andy won the USO last year Wilander said he thought Andy is consistent enough to get to no.1, so that's a bit of a switch, but I do take his point about how up Andy gets for the slams. It's not wrong either. You don't remember players for the other titles they win, you remember them for their slams. Winning slams is Andy's motivation, not his ranking. That's fine by me, because watching him win slams is awesome.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7412 on: September 01, 2013, 10:24 AM »

far be it from me to defend MW, who I can't stand, but it's possible he has revised his position in the light of what Andy himself has said post-wimbledon with regard to his priorities and how he approached the pre-USO masters. 
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: News Articles « Reply #7413 on: September 01, 2013, 10:25 AM »

http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/andys-latest-blog-the-new-york-times-1/
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7414 on: September 01, 2013, 10:31 AM »

far be it from me to defend MW, who I can't stand, but it's possible he has revised his position in the light of what Andy himself has said post-wimbledon with regard to his priorities and how he approached the pre-USO masters.  

Quite possibly, indeed. Then again he said in the same thing that. Nadal doesn't play to be world no.1 either, so I don't know.

Either way, as much as I can't stand Wilander, I can't disagree with his take on things this time.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7415 on: September 01, 2013, 01:24 PM »

Andy 2009 season + 2011 clay + 2013 slams = Number 1.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7416 on: September 01, 2013, 01:40 PM »

Andy 2009 season + 2011 clay + 2013 slams = Number 1.

I like it Smile. I like a bit of imagination Smile.

No, seriously, whatever the actual rankings say and whatever anyone in the game thinks, for me if Andy does win the USO again he will effectively be world no.1, even if the rankings points, especially at year end, don't reflect that. If Andy does do it again, and we'll see if he does or not, he will be the only one to win two slams this year, so to my mind that will tell anyone all they need to know.
[ Last edit by teejay1 September 01, 2013, 10:47 PM ] IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7417 on: September 01, 2013, 09:43 PM »

http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/andy-marches-on-in-new-york/
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: News Articles « Reply #7418 on: September 02, 2013, 06:35 AM »

US Open 2013: Andy Murray in fourth round after beating Florian Mayer
• Champion dispatches German in straight sets
• Tomas Berdych v Stan Wawrinka on Tuesday

Andy Murray on his way to a straight-sets win over Florian Mayer of Germany in the US Open third round on Sunday. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images
Kevin Mitchell at Flushing Meadows

Perhaps only Andy Murray can appear to be grappling with the the complications of his own existence while simultaneously winning a tennis match and that was how he dispatched Florian Mayer from the US Open in straight sets in the suffocating bear pit that is the Arthur Ashe Stadium.

To be fair to him – to both of them, in fact – the air at court level was so dead and hot it could have becalmed a yacht but Murray still produced moments of magic to win 7-6, 6-2, 6-2 and advanced to the fourth round here in defence of his title. Beyond that in the quarters he stands to play either Tomas Berdych, whom he beat in the semi-finals last year, or Stanislas Wawrinka, who put him out in the third round three years ago.

If he comes through, it is likely to be the newer rather than the older version of Murray who will be on show in the quarters. On Sunday was a hybrid of the two, a little bit of moaning and groaning to spice up the methodical, chilling tennis with which he slowly, almost cruelly, broke down the excellent game of his German opponent. Fittingly, perhaps, Murray was wearing what looked suspiciously like the old enemy's football shirt when he raised a weary arm at a tick under two hours.

"Very tough conditions today," Murray said. "He's tricky. It was extremely hot in the first and second sets. Outside expectations might be higher but I feel a lot more comfortable coming into these events than last year. I think I need to start matches a little bit quicker, I was a bit slower out of the blocks. I need to get my feet in better positions."

Murray moved at times as if he were restricted by a barbed wire vest and, for a while in the first set, when he was at his most tentative, he sucked anxiously at the air. In the final moments of the third set he drenched himself in the contents of his ice-filled neck towel, giving him the appearance of someone who had just walked out of the sea, but it was Mayer who was slowly drowning.

Florian could do no better than the previous Mayer to take him on – Leonardo – in breaking down Murray's brick-like defence, the part of his game that draws the oohs and aahs, and he had the overwhelming support of the stadium again. He really does feel comfortable in this place, where he has had more success than disappointment. It is eight years since he went out in the second round on his debut as a qualifier, bagelled in the fifth set by the Frenchman Arnaud Clément, now retired and a business partner of Michaël Llodra, whom Murray beat handsomely in the first round here. How times change.

Murray did not serve consistently well, powering it down occasionally, perhaps to save energy, yet he still dominated Mayer, who was playing at or near his best much of the time. That described the gulf in quality – although Mayer has beaten four players in the top five – Rafael Nadal, Robin Soderling, Nikolay Davydenko and Guillermo Coria. Some of that CV is ancient history – and history is what Mayer was when Murray cranked up his game. One stretched, inches-from-the-ground backhand volley that snuck over the net in the final set was a nailed-on candidate for shot of the tournament.

Mayer, too, has invention in his game but lacks discipline, a dangerous combination for himself and others, because it is often impossible to tell where the ball might end up. Murray read him well from the start, grabbing three break points, but Mayer held. They have played twice before, the Scot winning both. This would be as easy yet not without incident. After a particularly testing game in the first set Murray went to his chair on the changeover clutching his lower back, where excruciating pain struck in Rome this year, putting him out of the French Open.

In the ninth game Murray looked to be fighting his own game and his injury, moving without the sharpness he showed in his first two matches. He was playing like a man trying to shrug off the numbness of pain killers, a few of which he has taken to get through tournaments in the past.

Berdych and Wawrinka, meanwhile, moved into the second week ahead of him, with victories of contrasting quality on Sunday. Of the two Berdych, seeded five, was first through and impressed more in beating the sometimes dangerous Frenchman Julien Benneteau 6-0, 6-3, 6-2 in under two hours. Wawrinka took an hour and a half longer and dropped a set here for the first time before getting past the stubborn Marcos Baghdatis 6-3, 6-2, 6-7, 7-6.

He meets the Czech in the fourth round on Tuesday and Berdych, who beat Murray in Cincinnati two weeks ago, will start favourite to advance to the quarter-finals, even though Wawrinka took a 6-5 edge in their career match-ups by beating him the last time they met, in the semi-finals of the Madrid Masters.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7419 on: September 02, 2013, 07:36 PM »

What a nice article!

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/02/conversations-with-andy-murray-appreciating-the-womens-game/?smid=tw-NYTStraightSets&seid=auto&_r=1

Andy Murray, the defending United States Open champion, spoke to Straight Sets again after his 7-6(2), 6-2, 6-2 third-round victory over Florian Mayer on Sunday. Murray discussed his thoughts of women’s tennis, which he has always been more conversant in than many of his peers. In previous conversations, Murray has discussed his return to New York, his time away from the court, and the intensity of rivalries in modern tennis.

Q.

I heard you just met Ben Stiller. What’s your favorite Ben Stiller movie?

A.

That’s tough. I like “Dodgeball.”

Q.

Why “Dodgeball”? Does it particularly appeal to you as a sportsman?

A.

[Laughs.] I don’t know, I mean him and Vince Vaughn. I don’t know, it’s just a classic movie. There’s not many other movies out there like that, I don’t think. I’ll say “Dodgeball,” yeah.

Q.

On a very different topic from Ben Stiller, you’ve been, over the course of your career, one of the men’s players who is the least dismissive when asked about women’s tennis. You’ve been willing to talk about it and engage on it. Why is that?

A.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s that my mum’s been involved with women’s tennis for a long time. I mean, I just like tennis, so I follow it. We have a few good young British girls, so I watch some of their matches as well, and try to follow it when I can.

Q.

How much influence does what your mom has taught you still have over your game?

A.

I mean it’s hard to say, because I can’t really remember all of the things that we used to do. I just remember it used to be fun when we used to be on the court together with my brother. But I mean she’s just so enthusiastic about kids playing tennis, and she was a really good influence on me and my brother. She’s still around tennis just now, so if I ever need to I can speak to her about the game, because she understands it.

Yeah, it’s just tough to know. The one thing I would say is that she was always into — like a lot of players now concentrate on the baseline, and ground strokes and stuff — but she was always into drop shots, and slice, and lobs, and variety, and that sort of thing. She always enjoyed that, and she always encouraged me to practice it.

Q.

How much women’s tennis would you say you watch now? When tennis is on, does it matter if it’s men or women?

A.

Yeah, I like watching the big matches when the top players play against each other. I like watching the British girls play, when I can. I don’t watch as much as men’s tennis, because when I’m watching it, I’m kind of watching it just to enjoy it, whereas with men’s tennis I sometimes watch to enjoy, but a lot of times I’m either scouting guys or watching my opponent.

Q.

Who are some of your favorite women’s players to watch?

A.

I really like watching Radwanska.

Q.

Do you know her nickname in Poland? They call her “Andy Murray in a skirt” because of all of her drop shots.

A.

I didn’t know that. [Laughs.]. I didn’t know that. But no, I like watching her play just because a lot of the girls that she’s competing with are a lot bigger and stronger than her, and she just plays with variety. Which is again, like I said, the stuff that my mum used to encourage me to use. She comes to the net, she has drop shots, lobs, and she doesn’t have the power. I do like watching Serena as well, when she’s playing well. I mean, I enjoy watching her just because as an athlete, as a female athlete, she’s pretty, pretty impressive.

Q.

When you were playing mixed at the Olympics with Laura Robson, winning a silver there, how was it for you scouting women, and coming up with game plans against female players?

A.

Yeah I think most of the stuff in the mixed doubles — when I’m serving to the woman, I’m just trying to focus on a spot, and trying to hit it. I wasn’t really doing too much of the scouting going into those matches. But I was trying to help Laura with her return against some of the men, because that’s a huge part of mixed doubles, how the man serves to the woman, and if the woman can return the man’s serve well, that’s a huge benefit. That’s a huge part of mixed doubles, if you can get some points on the man’s serve when the woman’s returning, that helps a lot. And then you need to take care of your own serve, basically. When Laura was serving, I let her dictate where she wanted to serve and stuff, and then you’re basically just trying to do what you can up at the net to help out.

Q.

What do you make of it when some of the male players — whether privately in the locker room or to the press — complain about equal prize money still, or say that the women’s game is inferior?

A.

It isn’t about it being inferior. As I see them, they’re two different sports. Not like at the 100 meters at the Olympics, not because they’re not running the same speed as the men. It’s just because we play five sets. I’m not saying the men work harder than the women, but if you have to train to play five sets, it’s a longer distance. It’s like someone training to be a 400-meter runner and someone training to be a 600-meter runner. I think the women should play best-of-five sets. I don’t see why they couldn’t do it. It would mean the days in the Slams are a little bit longer. And maybe it doesn’t have to be from the first rounds. I think either the men go three sets or the women go five sets. I think that’s more what the guys tend to complain about, rather than the equal prize money itself.

Q.

Would you be open to the men playing best-of-three at the Slams?

A.

Hmm. To be honest, I mean, I’ve always played five sets at the Slams. It’s what makes them different. I would rather want the five-set rule for the men and the women. They did it before. They used to do it in finals, and stuff, I think in the tour finals, and some of the big finals on the WTA Tour. So it’s not like women cannot play five sets. Steffi Graf and Navratilova and those players were unbelievable over five sets, and in great shape. So it’s not that, that isn’t the issue.
IP Logged
Kavanaugh
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7420 on: September 02, 2013, 08:21 PM »

Smile I just read that article on tumblr and loved it - in particular the comment about Radwanska being known as 'Andy Murray in a skirt', which I have to say I hadn't heard before!  I'd have liked to see this particular interview, there are some great questions, and I heartily agree with Andy about women playing 5 sets - I really think they should.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Articles « Reply #7421 on: September 02, 2013, 08:29 PM »

Smile I just read that article on tumblr and loved it - in particular the comment about Radwanska being known as 'Andy Murray in a skirt', which I have to say I hadn't heard before!  I'd have liked to see this particular interview, there are some great questions, and I heartily agree with Andy about women playing 5 sets - I really think they should.
Women want to earn the same as the guys but don't want to play by the same rules....truth be told , Men's tennis via television monies subsidy,s women's tennis .
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7422 on: September 02, 2013, 08:38 PM »

He articulated that well.  Another reason I'm a fan.

BTW no woman has ever refused to play 5 sets at slams - it's the slams that shorten them on the grounds of timing.  Slams and Davis Cup are the only 5-setters men play.  In all other aspects they are equally hard fought and entertaining.
[ Last edit by circe September 02, 2013, 08:42 PM ] IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Articles « Reply #7423 on: September 02, 2013, 08:47 PM »

He articulated that well.  Another reason I'm a fan.

BTW no woman has ever refused to play 5 sets at slams - it's the slams that shorten them on the grounds of timing.  
I agree, women playing best of five would be too much...it's like going to your favourite restaurant , I love the starters  but looking forward to the main meal.
[ Last edit by robbie September 02, 2013, 08:54 PM ] IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: News Articles « Reply #7424 on: September 02, 2013, 09:11 PM »

The sets are irrelevant in my opinion. The prize money should be based upon the income that the matches generate.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 494 [495] 496 497 498 ... 713 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »