Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 495 [496] 497 498 499 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 469191 times)
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Articles « Reply #7425 on: September 02, 2013, 09:13 PM »

The sets are irrelevant in my opinion. The prize money should be based upon the income that the matches generate.
Yep, the men's generate the most income so.......
IP Logged
myren
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #7426 on: September 02, 2013, 09:45 PM »

Really interesting artlcle, thank you for posting.

Hope they never think of changing the slams to 3 sets for men.
From the player's perspective the whole match strategy and thought process
must be totally different in the best of 5 sets.

Certainly, watching a slam the tension never stops - dominating a match, two sets up,
looking like victory in the bag and then the whole dynamic changes as in last year's USO final. 
No matter how many times I watch that match it is exhilarating.

I love the slams.  I don't know the arguments for and against 5 sets for women but would be
interesting to see it given serious discussion.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7427 on: September 02, 2013, 09:51 PM »

I can't see them ever changing the format for slams from 5 sets to 3 sets, can you imagine what it would be like for someone to win a slam after they changed it to best of 3? they would just be constantly reminded of how it was devalued.

Also, best of 5 is what seperates the elite players from the rest of the field, it's where the cream rises to the top, it's a great measuring stick for players to see exactly what they need to do to win one of them, wether it be fitness or mentality.

IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: News Articles « Reply #7428 on: September 02, 2013, 09:55 PM »

Also, best of 5 is what seperates the elite players from the rest of the field, it's where the cream rises to the top, it's a great measuring stick for players to see exactly what they need to do to win one of them, wether it be fitness or mentality.

Good posting!...WTA.....take note.
IP Logged
myren
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #7429 on: September 02, 2013, 10:42 PM »

Totally agree with both comments.  I don't follow women's tennis but  I thought I read somewhere that Martina thought that the slams should be 3 sets for both men and women.  Maybe just said to kill the idea of 5 sets for women.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7430 on: September 02, 2013, 10:54 PM »

EWW NO! 5 sets should stay in slams, They create the atmosphere, think of all the great 5 set battles there have been over the years (tho for sake of my health wd prefer Andy to stick with winning in 3 sets)
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7431 on: September 02, 2013, 11:45 PM »

So let women play them.  BTW tennis isn't equal pay for men and women. Only the slams. The women get less for the other tourneys even though both genders play 3 sets...
IP Logged
Jade Fox

Re: News Articles « Reply #7432 on: September 03, 2013, 03:38 AM »

Uh the WTA players did ask to play best of 5 at Slams but the ITF rebuffed their offer.  It's not their fault and quite frankly I don't see why people still get up in arms at equal prize play at the Slams.  It's hurting no one in the long run.
[ Last edit by Jade Fox September 03, 2013, 03:43 AM ] IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7433 on: September 03, 2013, 08:28 AM »

Uh the WTA players did ask to play best of 5 at Slams but the ITF rebuffed their offer.  It's not their fault and quite frankly I don't see why people still get up in arms at equal prize play at the Slams.  It's hurting no one in the long run.
Completely agree.  If you start to complain that the women don't deserve as much as the men, you can't help but notice that the men don't really deserve those huge pay-cheques either.  Players like Tipsarevic getting all indignant about it is laughable.

The suggestion they deserve less because they play three sets in slams suggests that's the extent of their job.  Try telling a teacher they only work then they have pupils present and see what happens.  Does anyone believe that a vicar works two hours per week, assuming they hold two Sunday services?  Tennis players spend more time on the practice courts and in the gym than they do on the court - both men and women.

I like Andy's comparison with running.  People don't get all up in arms because athletes run different distances.  Does anyone think Jess Eniss's heptathlon gold is less valuable than Daley Thompson's decathlon?  Should the marathon runners be earning more than Bolt?

Personally, I'd like to see the women play best of five for slam semi-finals and finals, possibly the quarters too.  I think it should be possible to juggle the slam schedules to allow that, whereas it's near enough impossible to add them from the start without restructuring the season.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7434 on: September 03, 2013, 08:41 AM »

I agree with Sparkle above. It's not really about the money, it's more that there is nothing to differentiate between slams and other tournaments for women, excluding the extra two matches. I would like to see women in the same situation as men, whereby players like Murray and Djokovic can be beaten in BoT, whereas its much harder to to pull it off in BoF. Think how many times Murray got the better of Fed in BoT, and how much longer it took him to do it in BoF. Very glad he did it before every Tom, Dick and Harry started to do it routinely. Delighted Raonic lost - sorry just do not like him or his attitude. Don't like Gasguet much but was routing for him. Wish Tipsaravic had managed to pull it off.

Very sorry Flemming and Marray lost. If they had inched that first set tie break I think they might have pulled it off.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7435 on: September 03, 2013, 10:51 AM »

I'm not bothered about the money thing. But I've always wondered what is the difference in women's tennis between a 1000 tournement and a grand slam other than the points and an extra round. That extra round that the top women play is usualy over quick anway, like 6-1, 6-0.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7436 on: September 03, 2013, 10:55 AM »

I'd hate to see the men's become best of three in the slams. I do understand what Navratilova was saying when she suggested it should become best of three - the point that matches are so physical now, you have to wonder what the men are doing to their bodies in the long run - but the men, Andy, Djokovic and so on, work and train for that. Andy doesn't kill himself in Miami purely so that he can withstand high temperatures and such, he does it so that he can compete in a best of five set match and be able to compete as well in the fifth set as in the first.

I think it's about time the women's became best of five, even if the slams did need to be restructured as a result. It's not solely an argument about prize money either. It's about the slams being different to tour events, something special and unique. On the women's side the slams aren't any different, albeit they need to win two more matches to get it done.

Where it does become an issue of equality on the women's side is when they move the goalposts, and I say that as a woman. You can't have, or rather, it seems in tennis you can have, women bleating about equality, being equal to men, if they then turn around when the idea of playing best of five is mentioned and argue that they couldn't do it because they are women and physically weaker than men. I have heard female players use that one and it annoys me intensely. You can't use the argument that you are equal to, only to then say you are weaker than! It's not as if anyone is asking any of the women to play the men, but just to put their game on the same terms as the men, which it just isn't at the moment.

I think the best of five format is brilliant in the slams. It's a totally different ball game, no pun intended, to best of three, physically and mentally. I know there is an argument that in best of three you have to be on your toes from the start, there is no let up because if you get into a mess early on there might be no way back, but it's fascinating to me to watch someone like Andy picking apart an opponent, working them out, and staying focused on the job for a sustained period. It's also fascinating to see the top players knowing when they can just let a game go if they need to, just tune out for a game, before regaining control immediately. All that would go if the format was all best of three.

It would be fascinating to see which of the women would handle best of five sets.
IP Logged
Cmongoose
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7437 on: September 03, 2013, 02:39 PM »

One of the reasons womens tennis is not good enough nowadays is due to the best of 3 format.
equal pay for equal work in my view too.
having said all that i saw the Seles/Graf final on sky yesterday and was impressed.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #7438 on: September 03, 2013, 03:11 PM »

GB Davis Cup team has been announced

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/Davis-Cup/News/2013/Great-Britain-Davis-Cup-team-announced/
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7439 on: September 05, 2013, 12:39 AM »

New York Times Q&A - Straight Sets
Andy - Wednesday, September 4 2013
After his four-set, fourth-round win over Denis Istomin, Andy Murray again spoke to Straight Sets about another topic important to him: the growing specter of doping across the sports world.

First, congratulations were in order.

Q.
 You were named one of the “GQ Men of the Year” in London. Have you always considered yourself a fashion icon?

A.
 No, I haven’t, and I still wouldn’t say that’s the case (laughs).

Q.
 How did you win then?

A.
 Probably because I did something for them earlier in the year, and on the front of the magazine, which came out just before Wimbledon, it said, “If you buy this, Andy will win Wimbledon,” or something. And then obviously, a few weeks later it happened, so.

Q.
 So you made good on their promise then.

A.
 Yeah (laughs).

Q.
 On a different topic, one thing I’ve noticed that you’ve tweeted about a bunch in recent months is doping stuff that has happened in other sports — Asafa Powell, other runners. What makes you care so much about that issue, as it pertains to sport as a whole?

A.
 Because of what’s happened the last couple of years, it’s a very difficult sort of position to be in for an athlete just now. If you have a sudden rise, people question it because of what has happened with some very high-profile athletes. And the doping program that we’ve had probably hasn’t been as strong as it needs to be. So yeah, I’ve been quite vocal about trying to get that improved and sorted, and I think they have started to take it more seriously.

It’s one of those where before, a few years ago, everyone was like, ‘Oh, having to fill out the whereabouts form for 365 days a year is annoying, and it is a hassle,’ and everyone was like, ‘We hate it, we don’t like it.’ But when you see what has happened in other sports, to protect your sport, and to make sure that nothing is going on, you need to have the best doping program in all of sports, really.

And it’s definitely changed a bit. I had a blood test on the Wednesday or Thursday before the tournament. I did one the Monday of the tournament starting, and I think they’re still blood testing the guys after the matches. So where we may have used to have done four or five blood tests in a year, max, I will have done — I did one after Wimbledon as well — I will have done three within a couple weeks at the U.S. Open, so it’s changed a bit.

Q.
 Can a sport be free of suspicion in this age? Is that possible?

A.
 I don’t know. I don’t really think it can be anymore because of what’s happened with some big athletes and cyclists. Basically, sport has taken a hit, and a lot of people have lost trust in it. So I think it takes a long time to build that trust back up. I believe in tennis, but the only way for people to see it as being a clean sport is by having the best doping program in sports. And there’s a lot of money in tennis, so we can definitely afford to have a good program.

Q.
 You mentioned trust — how much is trust important within tennis, in terms of trusting that everybody else in the locker room isn’t trying to do anything to get an advantage?

A.
 If you look at the people who have cheated, to get away with it, you need to basically have a sophisticated sort of program, and travel with a doctor who is going to make sure that you’re not going to fail tests at certain times. You don’t see many tennis players, just because of how much it costs to travel with a doctor, you don’t see many of them traveling with one, for starters.

But look, all the players, we see each other on a daily basis. When we’re at a tournament like today, we’re at the tournament for 14 hours, at the courts. It’s not like we’re sort of sneaking off in the middle of the day. But it is very important, like I said. When we’re done here, we’ll get drug-tested. We had one at the beginning of the tournament and before the tournament. If you’re getting drug tested three, four times in a two-and-a-half week period, I think that’s pretty good. It can’t get much better than that.

Q.
 People talk about how tennis is more physical now, about how all sports are moving in that direction, faster, stronger. And cycling, especially, they go up the mountains on these types of courses more than they used to. Do you think that sport is being pushed to levels where cheating might seem more necessary than it did in the past? The bar has been set to nearly inhuman levels?

A.
 I could see why people would think that. You know, the reason I trust tennis more than certain sports is because of how high the skill aspect of it is. If you look at a lot of the guys that over the years have been at the top of tennis, most of them have been top at 12 years old, top in the world at 14, 16, 18 and so on.

Guys like Sampras, Agassi, when they were 18 years old, they were winning finals of slams. You don’t see many guys breaking through out of the blue in tennis and being one of the best tennis players in the world because the skill element has to be so high, and it’s a sport you need to have learned from a very young age. So, yes, it has gotten more physical, guys have had to train more, and understand how to get in better shape.

Q.
 But you trust all of that has been done within the rules? Or you hope it has?

A.
 You never know. I don’t think we had a particularly good doping program before. It was pretty useless, I would say. And now I think it’s getting better, and the more that happens, you’ll see if there’s more failed drug tests and stuff.

A lot of the guys in tennis who have failed tests, it’s been through just utter stupidity rather than actually taking anabolic steroids and stuff, and testosterone, and all of the things that you see in the other sports. It’s been through being stupid.

Q.
 Are positive tests, then, a sign that a system is working? If you don’t see any positive tests, is that worrying?

A.
 I think there was not one positive test in the whole of the Tour de France, in cycling this year. I don’t know whether it’s a good or a bad thing. But all I can say is that the top 50 players in the world now, they do the whereabouts form, we’re starting to get tested more and more.

That’s really all we can do, and when guys are failing tests for cocaine or something, it’s just pure stupidity. When you start seeing the real serious stuff that people have been doing in other sports, if that was to come into tennis and you saw some failed tests for that, then that would be very worrying.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 495 [496] 497 498 499 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »