Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 496 [497] 498 499 500 ... 713 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 414582 times)
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7440 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50 AM »

I'm not bothered about the money thing. But I've always wondered what is the difference in women's tennis between a 1000 tournement and a grand slam other than the points and an extra round. That extra round that the top women play is usualy over quick anway, like 6-1, 6-0.

I guess you could argue that (for the women) the physical demands are less in a slam because you're getting a day off between matches. They will obviously play more matches (than a masters) but it's over a 2 week period.

I have to say that I don't agree with the women getting the same money as the men. I personally don't think as a woman I can ask for equality but be happy to see women paid the same money for doing less. The format for the women in slams also makes it a lot easier for women to play doubles. You won't see a male contender for a slam taking part in doubles.

I see Andy's comments (have in general) not went down well.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/09/murray-women-should-play-best-five-sets/49047/#.UifQTX8fmf0
[ Last edit by IonaRed September 05, 2013, 04:53 PM ] IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7441 on: September 05, 2013, 12:53 AM »

I can't see them ever changing the format for slams from 5 sets to 3 sets, can you imagine what it would be like for someone to win a slam after they changed it to best of 3? they would just be constantly reminded of how it was devalued.

Also, best of 5 is what seperates the elite players from the rest of the field, it's where the cream rises to the top, it's a great measuring stick for players to see exactly what they need to do to win one of them, wether it be fitness or mentality.

Good posting!
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7442 on: September 05, 2013, 07:55 AM »

It's funny, a lot of women who read the original article were very appreciative of his obvious knowledge and thoughtful, honest answers.  You take away the proper context, and all of a sudden the reactionary, presume the worst, lot are getting all defensive and complaining that he's complaining.  People have no concept of players being asked a question, and they are so quick to presume all men are dismissive of the women's game, so interpret all comments as such.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7443 on: September 05, 2013, 05:46 PM »

very measured answers from Andy I thought on the question of doping
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7444 on: September 06, 2013, 02:04 AM »

Andy Murray wants to start family with girlfriend Kim Sears when he stops playing

And that is unlikely to be for another six years, his uncle has revealed

Wimbledon champion Andy Murray wants to start a family with girlfriend Kim Sears when he ­finally stops playing.

And that is unlikely to be for another six years, his uncle has revealed.

Niall Erskine, brother of Andy’s mum Judy, said the ace, 26, was “brilliant” with his 10-year-old twins Cora and Ailsa and added: “He will be a great dad.”

Andy gave away his plans when the girls asked why they didn’t see him at ­Christmas – when he trains in Miami. He said: “It’s only for a few years – in six or seven years you’ll be able to see me every ­Christmas if you want.’”

Optician Niall, 48, from Andy’s home town ­Dunblane, ­Stirling, added: “All Andy’s life ­decisions are on hold until he’s achieved what he wants in tennis.”

Niall added Artist Kim, 25, has not followed Andy around the world “because that’s not what either of them necessarily need”.

Andy Murray insisted he’s still had the year of his life despite crashing out of the US Open.

The Scot’s incredible run of Grand Slam results was spectacularly halted as he was hammered in straight sets by Stanislas Wawrinka.

The Swiss triumphed 6-4 6-3 6-2 in two hours 15 minutes to reach the semi-final of a major for the first time in his career.

Wawrinka obliterated Murray, who had reached the final in his previous four Grand Slam appearances, winning two of them as well as claiming Olympic gold.

He said: “It is very difficult to win every Grand Slam I play or be in the final. With the guys around us, it’s very challenging.

“I have played my best tennis in the slams the last two, three years and today I lost in straight sets, so that’s disappointing.

“I would have liked to have gone further, but I can’t complain.

“If someone told me before the US Open last year I would have been here as defending champion having won Wimbledon and Olympic gold, I would have taken that 100%.

“So I’m disappointed, but, the year as a whole has been a good one.”

Murray has struggled in all three tournaments he’s played since becoming the first man for 77 years to win Wimbledon, but was adamant he hasn’t lost any of his desire to win more majors.

He said: “It’s not so much about focus. You know, when you work hard for something for a lot of years it’s going to take a bit of time to really fire yourself up and get yourself training 110%.

“That’s something that I think is kind of natural after what happened at Wimbledon. But I got here. I mean, I have been here nearly three weeks now.

“I practiced a lot, and played quite a lot of matches, as well. So I gave myself a chance to do well because I prepared properly.”

Murray was also anxious to make it clear the pressure of defending the title he won here against Novak Djokovic 12 months ago had no bearing on the shock result.

Asked if the expectation got to him he said: “No, I don’t think so. I would have thought maybe the beginning of the tournament would have been the case.

“But, I mean, being defending champion had zero bearing on the match - Stan just played great and I played a bad match.

“You know, it was my fifth match of the tournament, so I thought I handled it okay.

“It was a new experience for me and something that was good to go through, and I will learn from that for next time.”
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: News Articles « Reply #7445 on: September 06, 2013, 10:46 PM »

Darren Cahill's and Mac's takes on Andy's loss,as told to Kevin Mitchell-both very supportive of Andy Smile

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/sep/06/andy-murray-us-open-exit
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7446 on: September 06, 2013, 11:04 PM »

What a brilliant, thoughtful piece. Mac was so understanding it actually brought a lump to my throat. Mac doesn't mince his words, as we know. In the past he has been critical of Andy at times, but in this, and over the last year or so to be honest, he has been downright supportive. In this he just puts it into perspective so well and makes a few constructive suggestions.

Thanks for a great post Dani. Tell you what, it's not every day I can say John McEnroe has cheered me up, but he really has Smile.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7447 on: September 06, 2013, 11:41 PM »

Darren Cahill's and Mac's takes on Andy's loss,as told to Kevin Mitchell-both very supportive of Andy Smile

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/sep/06/andy-murray-us-open-exit

Great article - thanks.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7448 on: September 06, 2013, 11:49 PM »

Great piece - a few on here would do well to take a breath and get some of the same perspective.
IP Logged
Simone

Re: News Articles « Reply #7449 on: September 07, 2013, 12:59 AM »

I thought this was a good insight from someone watching courtside.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/usopen/10292094/US-Open-2013-Andy-Murrays-passive-defeat-to-Stanislas-Wawrinka-could-be-due-to-his-on-going-back-problem.html
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7450 on: September 07, 2013, 01:06 AM »

He said there is nothing wrong with physically why would he lie.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7451 on: September 07, 2013, 01:12 AM »

Maybe he is hiding something like Rafa has apparently being doing for over a year, despite him saying he hasn't.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7452 on: September 07, 2013, 01:19 AM »

Maybe he is hiding something like Rafa has apparently being doing for over a year, despite him saying he hasn't.
We know about the back problems. He wasn't honest about it until Rome this year. I honestly think if Andy had a problem he would take MTO. If he didn't feel up to it he should of given Stan a walkover instead of being humiliated.
IP Logged
Simone

Re: News Articles « Reply #7453 on: September 07, 2013, 01:20 AM »

I didn't say he was lying. But do you know of any sportsmen who would willing let their opposition know just how chronic their back problem is? I also think Fed is not saying just how much pain he is in.  Admitting it becomes a liability and also is not a good look in terms of sportsmanship and respect for their opposition - if they turn up to play, then excuses in terms of fitness is really poor form.

But I also think Andy is mentally trashed as per the comments of John McEnroe and Darren Cahill.

Finally, I think Stan played very, very well and is super confident and deserves lots of praise for a great match - he seems to be down to earth and really well liked and I like him too and would love to see him take the whole thing out!
[ Last edit by Simone September 07, 2013, 01:24 AM ] IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7454 on: September 07, 2013, 06:56 AM »

Not sure if that is directed at me, but if it is Kneedal was off the tour for over 7 months with supposed chronic knee injuries.There has been absolutely no sign of any form of knee problems since he returned. Ergo there has to be another reason for his absence. Kneedal was undoubtedly hiding something.

As for Murray. His performance was so woeful in that match, and so out of character - how often have we seen him rolling over like that in a GS match? He was out for the FO with a back injury, apparently needed painkilling injections or tablets to get through some of his Wimbledon matches, and has been far from his best since.

In exactly the same way as Nadal in such a high energy, power driven sport I would expect chronic injuries to have a lasting impact. It might well be that the back is still not right. He might well have returned too soon, and given his all to get through Wimbledon.

I still think that mental exhaustion is also a big feature of this.

It's interesting that almost without fail, people in the know are totally unsurprised by what has happened, any fully supportive of him.

In WW2, the highest rate of mental breakdowns (certainly for women), was not when the bombs were raining down, and nobody knew one day to the next if they or their loved ones were going to be alive the next day. It was at the end when everything was over and everyone was safe. People can keep going under extreme levels of stress but eventually pay back time arrives. It arrived for Murray two days ago.

Note I am in no way deriding people who have survived wars, by comparing playing a few tennis matches with being bombed. The analogy is about people being exposed to prolonged periods of high levels of stress. In Murray' case he has been carrying the weight of the Wimbledon expectation for all of his adult life.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 496 [497] 498 499 500 ... 713 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »