Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  News Articles 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 501 [502] 503 504 505 ... 755 Go Down Reply
Author

News Articles

(Read 468546 times)
althusser
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #7515 on: September 09, 2013, 08:07 PM »

I suggest we send a collective statement from Murray's World to 'journalist' Phil Davison that if he does indeed agree to go and walk across the Kalahari desert in a fur coat, then we will all club together to buy him a ticket to watch Federer, We will even make it front row so he can get a good view of SmugFed getting thrashed by A.N. Onymous.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: News Articles « Reply #7516 on: September 09, 2013, 08:24 PM »

disgusting article,    once again  these journos have the philosophy  that Federer is the king of blooming Shiba and Andy is the peasant.   Ridiculous.    what utter drivel.  "He should be over the Dunblane massacre"   shocking  what the hell ?!?1
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7517 on: September 09, 2013, 08:46 PM »

Wish I hadn't given in and read it. What gives this guy the right to speak for the Scottish nation anyway? Like backhandslice I cannot fathom the Dunblane comment - guess Mr Davison forgot to watch 'Man Behind the Racquet"  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7518 on: September 09, 2013, 08:51 PM »

Andy should go all out for the rest of the season. Try and win everything.
He may try to win everything but it will be very hard to do. I think that we should just be glad that he plays at all. Whatever he wins or doesn't.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7519 on: September 09, 2013, 08:53 PM »

Showed gross bad taste. Actually think he is the kind of journo who deliberaly writes to goad readers into reaction.  That piece had nothing to commend it whatsoever - other than it has stopped Murrayworlders fighting each other ... every cloud :p
IP Logged
myren
Junior

Re: News Articles « Reply #7520 on: September 09, 2013, 08:54 PM »

When will I ever learn not to read stupid articles!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/murraymania-is-preventing-wimbledon-champion-andy-murray-from-reaching-his-true-potential-as-his-own-man-8805358.html

The one comment to the article is from yours truly. I couldn't help myself. Grrrr! The funny thing about it is that the moron obviously thinks he knows more than certain other people who completely understand what Andy has been dealing with since Wimbledon.
"Phil Davison gives a Scottish analysis...".?!

Then Mr. Davison should have no problem understanding a Scottish analysis of his article.  -.  Laddie you're as thick in the heid as s***e in a bottle.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7521 on: September 09, 2013, 08:55 PM »

Another journalist that was dropped on his head at birth. Phil Davison should be sacked.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: News Articles « Reply #7522 on: September 09, 2013, 09:15 PM »

The more I think about it the more angry I get about that article. The remark about the Dunblane massacre (I hate that word, but that is what it was) is incredibly offensive.

You don't get over something like that. As we know, Andy was not in the gym that day, but in a small community like Dunblane he would probably have known people who were. As he was a little older than the children who died I imagine he probably knew, or knows, people who lost brothers or sisters that day. Also, Andy and Jamie knew Thomas Hamilton. Judy gave Hamilton lifts in her car at times. That makes what happened incredibly personal, very near.

I also find the way the journalist knocks Andy's experience as a child whilst giving credence to Djokovic's very hard to understand. The situation in the former Yugoslavia was dreadful. A lot of awful things happened. It must have been a terrible situation to go through. The difference between the two though, is that what Djokovic's family lived through was a war, and terrible things can and do happen in war.

Andy lived in a relatively quiet town in Scotland. It was probably a normal, peaceful morning that day in the early spring of 1996, until a mad man walked into Dunblane Primary and killed 16 children and their teacher.

I would never seek to belittle Djokovic's family's experience in any way at all, but in war you must know terrible things can happen. How could Andy, his family, the familes of all those involved, Dunblane as a whole, have possibly been prepared for what happened in 1996? The answer must surely be they couldn't, and for that reason alone, although they have all moved on, I doubt very much any of them will ever 'be over' it.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7523 on: September 09, 2013, 09:26 PM »

Another journalist that was dropped on his head at birth. Phil Davison should be sacked.
I thought it a bit odd that he announced he was a "sports journalist", because sports writers don't normally bother.  I looked him up, and it seems he normally writes obituaries, and is probably free-lance.  I'm guessing he has written some sports articles, but more as a hobby, and he has to make up for his lack of knowledge by being controversial.

http://journalisted.com/phil-davison

I read that the Independent were making cut-backs to their writing team, and several sports writers were let go, including tennis correspondent, Paul Newman.   It's a sad day when a supposedly serious newspaper allows something so inaccurate to be published, never mind hateful.  Any sports journalist worth their salt would know that Federer is prone to a bit of swearing of his own, while anyone with any life experience should know that the Dunblane stuff was jaw-droppingly inappropriate.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7524 on: September 09, 2013, 09:33 PM »

That was the bit that really riled me too, the rest was more sensationalist stupidity. But to comment on Dunblane... am speeechless. Andy's class was next to go into the gym and were on their way so we are talking minutes in terms of him not ending up in there, he has mentioned some of his friends and classmates losing siblings, of course he knew the children, their teacher, their families. Anyway, not going to go on and on, but what actually astonishes me is that the article passed editorial and was allowed to be published as it stood.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7525 on: September 09, 2013, 09:50 PM »

In better news another award for Andy. Looks like he is/was in Scotland.

http://www.andymurray.com/news-and-blog/walpole-scottish-medal-of-excellence-2013/

Julia Carrick, Chief Executive of Walpole British Luxury commented: “Andy’s win at Wimbledon in July will go down as the highlight of the summer and I imagine many will be reliving his win for years to come. It is wonderful to be able to salute him this evening.”
[ Last edit by scotjules September 09, 2013, 09:58 PM ] IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7526 on: September 09, 2013, 10:11 PM »

Home › Andy Murray memorabilia is 'most popular at charity auctions' ›
Andy Murray memorabilia is 'most popular at charity auctions'
Published on 9 September 2013, by howardlake
in auction Celebrity Events

Fundraising event technology company Bidtech reports that Andy Murray memorabilia is the most in demand at charity auctions that it has run.
It has compiled a list of items and their owners that attract the most bidding at charity auctions. The company runs hundreds of auctions each year for organisations such as Action Against Hunger and the Elton John AIDS Foundation.
Sports stars

Sporting names dominate the list. Murray is joined on it by Sir Alex Ferguson and current world footballer of the year Lionel Messi. Longer-standing sports stars such as Pele and Mohammed Ali are also on the list.

Entertainment

One Direction memorabilia proved more popular than that of The Rolling Stones. Film actors including Al Pacino, Daniel Craig and the late James Gandolfini also made it onto the list.
Value of celebrities to charities

Jane Jelly, spokesperson for Bidtech, said: “A celebrity’s pulling power can be hugely beneficial to charities and the research shows how Andy Murray’s recent achievements have afforded him a new level of fame and respect.
“Understandably, people want to own a little piece of his legend and charities are able to capitalise on this fact.”
How the list was created

The bidding data is captured using Bidtech’s special iPad app that allows guests attending charity events to make silent bids on items.
The list is based on the average amount items from each celebrity have raised at charity auctions over the last year, the number of bids each item attracts during the auction and also the amount by which bids exceeded the expected reserve price.
donated by a wide range of popular celebrities as well as providing detailed information about the charities involved and other ways in which guests can donate and get involved in supporting good causes.
The heat list is based on the average amount items from each celebrity have raised at charity auctions over the last year, the number of bids each item attracts during the auction and also the amount by which bids exceeded the expected reserve price.
Biggest earning celebrities for UK charity auctions 2013

1.    Andy Murray
2.    One Direction
3.    Pele
4.    Lionel Messi
5.    Rolling Stones
6.    Mohammed Ali
7.    James Gandolfini
8.    Sir Alex Ferguson
9.    Al Pacino
10. Daniel Craig

Photo: Neale Cousland / Shutterstock.com
Email this page 323 reads
- See more at: http://www.fundraising.co.uk/news/2013/09/09/andy-murray-memorabilia-039most-popular-charity-auctions039?#sthash.GHXk5Flx.dpuf
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: News Articles « Reply #7527 on: September 09, 2013, 10:13 PM »

Wow it's never worked before, just read this about Andy , bless him , shows how popular he is .
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7528 on: September 10, 2013, 08:29 AM »

That's great to read.  I think it proves that people really do see Andy's wins at Wimbledon/US Open and probably the Olympics, as big, historic events that they want to associate themselves with.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: News Articles « Reply #7529 on: September 10, 2013, 09:00 AM »

Not sure that being above "One Direction"  is anything to gloat about - she says slightly tongue in cheek,  but trouncing Pele and Mohammed Ali is pretty awesome.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 501 [502] 503 504 505 ... 755 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »